lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: am I the only one worried?...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #41
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_lord_Cheez
It matters to the point of this topic. Revan wasn't in the second game, why should he/she be in the third one?
What part of the two two stories being about the Mandalorean War and it repercussions do you not understand? Without Revan going to war there would have never been Exile. Malachor V was where the final battle in the Mandalorean War took place. Malachor V was where The Exile became the wound in the Force. K2 was an extension of overall K1 story with a different PC and a cliff hanger of an ending. Do you need your plots spoon feed to you? While I don't think you need The Exile for K3, Revan is a must have if you want to finish the overall plot in previous two KotOR games.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #42
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Ultimately, the answers are going to be very different for each player depending on how they played the first two games. There is usually no one answer, and there is no point really wasting a game on relatively minor questions, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky
What happened to their friends
Kreia explains what happened to just about everybody in TSL, and we know about several of the NPCs from KOTOR.

Quote:
and will they ever see them again?
In most cases no, as was explained.

Quote:
Will Revan ever explain why he did what he did to Mandalore
Probably not, since they will likely never meet again.

Quote:
or if he and Bastila have a future.
They do not, for various reasons depending on how you played the game.

Quote:
Will we ever see if Carth managed to make up with his son?
We already did in KOTOR.

Quote:
Does the force, the binding power that "holds the galaxy together" apply outside the galaxy, where the Sith await?
The long answer is the "True Sith" are apparently in the Unknown regions, which is still inside the galaxy, so yes the Force still does apply. The short answer is who really cares?

Quote:
If Revan and/or the Exile fell defending their friends and planets I don't want some crappy holocron telling me "they're dead get on with the game".
Actually, that is exactly how I want it.

Quote:
I want to be able to see it, or control them as they go down fighting gloriously blowing up hordes of space planes and cutting down everything till their last breath.
But what is the point of playing when you know for a fact that you will die in the end, no matter what you do? Besides, you can do all the chopping stuff with any new character.

Quote:
If they won and survived, then I want to be there as well, and I don't want a datapad informing me " yes, yes Revan and the Exile beat everything in the unknown regions so get on with the game please".
Again, that is what I want. If he survived, great. But I don't want to waste an entire game just to find that out.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #43
Dark_lord_Cheez
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arátoeldar
What part of the two two stories being about the Mandalorean War and it repercussions do you not understand? Without Revan going to war there would have never been Exile. Malachor V was where the final battle in the Mandalorean War took place. Malachor V was where The Exile became the wound in the Force. K2 was an extension of overall K1 story with a different PC and a cliff hanger of an ending. Do you need your plots spoon feed to you? While I don't think you need The Exile for K3, Revan is a must have if you want to finish the overall plot in previous two KotOR games.
Kotor took place during the Jedi Civil War, not the Mandalorian Wars. We only made choices for Revan during the Jedi Civil War, not the Mandalorian Wars. The exile became a 'wound' in the force BEFORE the first game, Malachor happened BEFORE the first game.

K2 wasn't an extension on K1 storyline, it was an extention on the Mandalorian Wars.

No, I do not need my plots spoonfed to me, especially seeing as I've endured the game start to finish a total of 26 times. If you want a timeline of events, I'd be happy to give them to you.

1. Mandalorians begin attacking worlds on the outer rim. The Republic is still recovering from its war with Exhar Kuhn, and doesn't have the ability to muster up enough of an army to repel the mandalorians. They just sit and wait.

2. Mandalorians move deeper into Republic space, the Republic decides to send forces to fight back. The Republic army is weak, and is easily decimated by the Mandalorian threat.

3. The Republic begs the Jedi Council to helpt them out in the war, but the Jedi decide to wait. They believe a bigger threat is out there and that attacking the Mandalorians head-on would only serve to kill Jedi needlessly.

4. Revan and Malak decide to break away from the council, and pull together a group of jedi (including the Exile) to fight in the Mandalorian Wars.

(skip some time which includes only battles on several planets.)

5. Malachor V. Revan sends an army of unloyal soldiers to lure the Mandalorians to the planet. The Exile tells Bao-Dur to activate the Mass Shadow Generator and destroy the planet when the Mandalorians are in range.

6. Revan and his army head to the outer regions to kill off any remaining Mandalorians.

7. Revan, Malak, and the rest of Revan's army returns to the Republic with an armada bent on galactic domination.

8. The Exile returns to Coruscant around the time that Revan returns to the Republic. The Exile is kicked out of the Order for going to war. The Exile departs for the farthest reaches of the galaxy.

9. A Jedi strike force, along with Bastila, board Revan's ship. Malak fires upon Revan's ship hoping to kill both his master, and the Jedi in one explosion. Revan and Bastila survive.

10. Bastila brings Revan before the council, they erase his mind and give him a new identity.

11. The first game begins

12. Revan and Bastila search for the Star Forge

13. Revan discovers his true identity, and Bastila is captured by Malak.

14. Revan kills Malak and either takes the Star Forge himself, or destroys it.

15. The first game ends.

16. Revan decides to depart from known space. The Republic begins to decay after he leaves.

17. Kreia is overthrown by Sion, and Nihillus.

18. Atris leaks information about the Exile to the Republic, and his departure becomes common knowledge.

19. Atris arranges a transport to find the Exile and bring him back to the Republic.

20. Kreia finds the Exile aboard the Harbinger, and brings him back onto the Ebon Hawk.

21. The harbinger, now under the control of Sion, fires on the Ebon Hawk, critically damaging it.

22. The second game begins.

23. The Exile, now under the training of Kreia, arrive at Telos. After being held captive by the TSF, they find that their ship has been stolen.

24. Bao-Dur helps the Exile find his ship, which was taken by Atris. The Exile begins his quest to find the last known Jedi Masters.

25. The Exile finds the Jedi Masters who kicked him from the Jedi Order, and they inform him that he is a 'wound' in the force. Kreia then kills the masters.

26. The Exile confronts and kills both Nihillus, and Sion. Then faces Kreia and defeats her.

27. Second game ends.

Explain to me there, how the choices you made as Revan in the first game influenced at all the events of the second.

My question still stands.

Quote:
Revan wasn't in the second game, why should he/she be in the third one?

"Find what you're looking for amongst the dead?" - Kreia (Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords)
Dark_lord_Cheez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #44
KyleOfHarpenden
Rookie

hmm, u do have a good point there but the second game still in a way had something to do with Revan, Kreia was revans first teacher and she i think was training the Exile to go and find Revan coz as she says at the end of the game' i was hoping that you would follow in revans footsteps' ever she ment trying to take over the republic(witch would be stupid because as she said the republic will fall in a maleniam) so she must have ment track down revan so if there is a kotor 3 it would most likely be you tracking down revan and/or the exile and confronting them to stop the galaxy from dying. But i guess you could say that Revan is oly relavent by his name and nothing more but if that was the case then there would really be no point of the story in kotor2
KyleOfHarpenden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #45
Clone L68362
Forumite

Quote:
Explain to me there, how the choices you made as Revan in the first game influenced at all the events of the second.
Well, it seems to me that if Revan never destroyed the Star Forge, the Republic would've have gone into stagnation, allowing Sion and Nihilus to slowly start conquering the galaxy. Maybe, but it seems like that to me.

My sig is stupid.
Clone L68362 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #46
Phaedra36
Rookie

Oh my, I still can't believe this. Why Revan was not in the 2nd game physically, everything was revolved around Revan still. Everyone talked about the Outer Rim, and how it had the baddest Sith and was the most dangerous place to be.
If they don't include that, I am going to be angry. I want to see this place full of evil and perils, I want to fight the baddest Sith with my best characters and have every storyline and sub storyline 100% complete.
What Obsidian obviously wanted to do was to get an EPIC supergroup. Yes, not a lot of people will be happy about this but people think.
Dark Lord Cheez, you would expect them to really go against the rpg story of where everything in Star Wars (like I said in my previous post) comes in 3's? Seriously. "Ohh well Revan died... and then the Exile tried, but died too! And here we are 500 years later! Wow that was such a great story!"
"What about Carth and Bastila?"
"Ohhh they just sat around and well like... moved on!"
People, you guys would seriously be ruining the advancing story. Obviously if these guys are the toughest out there, Revan or the Exile is not going to be level 1. They are going to be like like in their 30's, and everything is going to be crazy and epic.
As for voice acting, I am not sure, but what I do know is that skipping over the story is not what a "Role-playing Game" is about. RPG's are about stories, and that would be pretty crappy to just speed up time.
So if you are playing this game because it's only Star Wars, then this game is not for you. I am a Star Wars fan, but I don't like to go around and kill baddies all the day so I don't buy the action games. This whole trilogy will be mediocre if they did that.
Rather Dark_Lord_Cheez, the 4th one should be like that and set apart but still intertwined like the first 3 pertained to the last 3 Star Wars Movies.
Phaedra36 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #47
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Revan wasn't in the second game, why should he/she be in the third one?
Aside from making quite a nice literary conceit, it would also allow the story to take place either at the same time as events in TSL, or afterwards, in which case we could explore the Unknown Regions. Also, even without Revan/Exile, there's going to be an awful lot of backtracking, explaining who these two were, your character will inevitably not know whats going on, i.e. memory loss or being away and having forgotten...Really, on those grounds it makes no difference. Finally, going into the UR long after Revan and the Exile, or picking up long after at least would feel rather lame - the difference between being at a battle and reading the facts in a textbook.

And just taking the series off in a totally different direction wouldn't work either - there would be too many unanswered questions...

At least, that's what I think

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #48
Dark_lord_Cheez
Rookie

Where exactly is everyone getting the impression that I want this all to start 500 years or so after the second game from? Oh well, I'll try to explain my idea again.

In my opinion, the third game should start you off as another pc. A new character, not Revan, not the Exile.

The story should be set a handful of years after the second (let's say 3-5), or even a handful of months after. Thus the background idea of the Mandalorian and Jedi Civil Wars laying waste to the Republic remains active. The Jedi should be all but extinct (there really would be no point in killing off most of them in the second if they're just going to all come back by the third), and the Republic should be on the brink of collapse. (sound a little similar to what TSL set up?)

With your party of completely new characters, (minus T3 and HK possibly) you would have to play through the game trying to defeat these "True Sith", or whatever enemies are thrown at you. Revan and the Exile's times are up, we already delved deep enough into both of their stories, so there is no reason for us to see them again in this one.

I hope that Bastila, Carth, Atton etc. would only be in this game for a few seconds if at all. We already know their backstories, we don't need to hear anymore about all of that. It's time for new, fresh characters and plots.

The Jedi Order does not need to be rebuilt in order for there to be Jedi, (think ANH and ESB. No academy left, but Luke was still training to be a Jedi) which is why I hope that they just let the Order crumble in the third game and at the very end you can choose to restore it or not.

Furthermore, my remark about children Jedi was strictly an idea for a very small sidequest. My reasoning for this is that the events concerning the Exile would have to be recent (like I said, this game should only be a shor time after TSL), and therefore it would be pretty difficult to have fully grown Jedi walking around.

Of course there is no way a 5 year old Jedi would be taken seriously, but you know how pompous some preschoolers can be.

I would imagine a quest like this revolving around about 5 Jedi children walking around threatening peasants and such. (I mean Jedi can use the force, and without guidance they tend to fall to the darkside. Imagine how easily a 5 year old with no one to tell them what they can and can't do with the force, will go darkside.)

The end result of this quest would probably be either you let the children continue what they're doing (for DS points), or try to get them to put their powers to good use (LS).

That's all I meant when I mentioned children Jedi. I didn't, and still don't think that the main character should start as a little kid training to use the force.

"Find what you're looking for amongst the dead?" - Kreia (Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords)
Old 06-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #49
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Kotor took place during the Jedi Civil War, not the Mandalorian Wars. We only made choices for Revan during the Jedi Civil War, not the Mandalorian Wars. The exile became a 'wound' in the force BEFORE the first game, Malachor happened BEFORE the first game.

K2 wasn't an extension on K1 storyline, it was an extention on the Mandalorian Wars.

No, I do not need my plots spoonfed to me, especially seeing as I've endured the game start to finish a total of 26 times. If you want a timeline of events, I'd be happy to give them to you.
Without the Mandalorian War there wouldn't have been a Jedi Civil War.
To quote your own post

Quote:
6. Revan and his army head to the outer regions to kill off any remaining Mandalorians.

7. Revan, Malak, and the rest of Revan's army returns to the Republic with an armada bent on galactic domination.
With 26 complete games you should have done the Canderous Ordo side quest more then once.

"I still remember that final battle in the skies above Malachor V. The two fleets filling the space around it, outshining the stars..."
— Canderous Ordo

"It was not the your ships or your men or your vaunted 'fight for freedom' that won this, the final battle of the war. It was by the actions of one person–the Jedi Revan–that you prevailed. Revan's strategies and tactics defeated the best of us. Even Mandalore himself was taken aback by the ferocity, the tenacity, and the subtlety of Revan's Plans. Revan fought us to a standstill and then began pushing us back. We didn't really have a chance."

— Canderous Ordo on the Battle of Malachor V.

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Old 06-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #50
Dark_lord_Cheez
Rookie

Quote:
Without the Mandalorian War there wouldn't have been a Jedi Civil War.
To quote your own post

With 26 complete games you should have done the Canderous Ordo side quest more then once.

"I still remember that final battle in the skies above Malachor V. The two fleets filling the space around it, outshining the stars..."
— Canderous Ordo

"It was not the your ships or your men or your vaunted 'fight for freedom' that won this, the final battle of the war. It was by the actions of one person–the Jedi Revan–that you prevailed. Revan's strategies and tactics defeated the best of us. Even Mandalore himself was taken aback by the ferocity, the tenacity, and the subtlety of Revan's Plans. Revan fought us to a standstill and then began pushing us back. We didn't really have a chance."

— Canderous Ordo on the Battle of Malachor V.

I fail to see how any of this relates to the fact that Revan was not in the second game which was the point I made originally, which is the point you tried arguing with me by bringing up the subject of the Mandalorian Wars.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_lord_cheez
It matters to the point of this topic. Revan wasn't in the second game, why should he/she be in the third one?

Do you at any point in time, in the second game, remember seeing Revan walk into the enclave on Dantoine and slaughter the council? Or board the Ravager and kill Nihillus? If you have proof that he did such things, please inform me. But until then my point still stands: Revan was not in the second game.

Edit: used Bold on my quoted post for emphasis

Old 06-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #51
Clone L68362
Forumite

Quote:
In my opinion, the third game should start you off as another pc. A new character, not Revan, not the Exile.

The story should be set a handful of years after the second (let's say 3-5), or even a handful of months after. Thus the background idea of the Mandalorian and Jedi Civil Wars laying waste to the Republic remains active. The Jedi should be all but extinct (there really would be no point in killing off most of them in the second if they're just going to all come back by the third), and the Republic should be on the brink of collapse. (sound a little similar to what TSL set up?)

With your party of completely new characters, (minus T3 and HK possibly) you would have to play through the game trying to defeat these "True Sith", or whatever enemies are thrown at you. Revan and the Exile's times are up, we already delved deep enough into both of their stories, so there is no reason for us to see them again in this one.
See, I only read this and I'll say it again, I don't understand. I've seen so many posts saying this is exactly what should happen. I guess your main point is you don't care about the characters, and I think it's pretty much a guarantee your PC won't be Revan or the Exile, but I'm also pretty sure they aren't just going to ditch all the characters they took the time to make up stories for and design.

My sig is stupid.
Clone L68362 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #52
Dark_lord_Cheez
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone L68362
but I'm also pretty sure they aren't just going to ditch all the characters they took the time to make up stories for and design.

Why not? It seems perfectly logical to me that they would let a good number of character's storylines die out. Was there anything important that we needed to learn from Mission before she died? How about Juhani? G0-T0? Zaalbar? Hanharr?

How many RPG sequels can you think of that have every character from the originals returning? How many characters are usually brought back into a videogame sequel, and how many are there that just seem to disappear forever?

The idea for this topic came around when I saw that almost every topic in this form was centered around Revan and the Exile returning in the third game. I began to wonder if everyone was just interested in seeing if Revan and Bastila got together or not... either that or if you got to play as Revan or the Exile.

My worry came from the idea that whoever it was that would be creating the new game would stumble across these forms and get ideas from these topics which were devoted to the main characters returning.

I have always enjoyed Revan's character, as well as the Exile's. From the first time I had played Kotor I have appreciated every character which was introduced to the story... However, Knights of the Old Republic has never been about Bastila. It has never been about Carth or Canderous. Not Jolee, Juhani, Mission or HK... Nor has it ever truly been about the Exile or even Revan. If it were about Revan it would have been named something like "Revan, Warrior of the Old Republic". Deep down this story has always been about the choices every Jedi and Sith must make. Revan was only the one who started the journey, the Exile was the one to continue it, and it must be up to a new character to finish it.

There really isn't anything that any of the original characters can do to improve upon the storyline of the third game, so why does everyone say they want them to return so badly? Why do we really need them anymore, they took the story as far as they could, it's time for a new group to carry the torch... time for new characters to be introduced into this world.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #53
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
^^^^

Voted "Most Intelligent Post in Unknown Regions Ever".
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #54
Aimless
Lurker

I disagree and agree on some things i think I disagree most. I agree that we should not play as the exile or Revan we shouldn't just jump to a whole new story. Its a triolgy for a reason. I will not accpect some small little cutscene saying " Oh Revan killed those guys. " Not after the build up they gave in KOTOR 2. I believe we should one of the Jedi the exile or Revan recuirted and have to find the one thing that will kill the True Sith by traveling from world to world or something like that.
Aimless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #55
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Voted "Most Intelligent Post in Unknown Regions Ever".
Seconded... well put Dark_lord_Cheez!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #56
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
My worry came from the idea that whoever it was that would be creating the new game would stumble across these forms and get ideas from these topics which were devoted to the main characters returning.
I wouldn't worry. They'll just say "that would be dumb" and go back to making an excellent game.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 12:22 AM   #57
Dark_lord_Cheez
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Seconded... well put Dark_lord_Cheez!
*bows and graciously accepts award*

Thank you both for your kind words.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:00 AM   #58
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Wait, from what I could read, there has been an atrocious amount of confusion about people's posts.

To sum up what I could get.

-Cheez does not want to play as the Exile or Revan but wants the game to send you against the True Sith.

-People agree with him.

-People got confused with the "does not revolve about Revan" part.

See, this is where you have been critically unclear. You want a continuation, but at the same time don't? From what I can understand, you want to go fight the True Sith, but not as Revan or the Exile and would not like them to even appear.
You use the argument that Revan does not appear in TSL and that's good enough for the story not to revolve slightly around his actions. This is where you are dead wrong. Yes, you did not choose to fight the battle at Malachor V but you did do it nonetheless. Does a sequel have to include every single variable you chose in the first game? Absolutely not, especially in an RPG. It does not remove the fact that the serie has Revan as a central character who is the cause or a huge factor of almost every event in the story line. Yeah, you didn't do it in the first game, you did it in your past.

See, this is where it gets complicated and people got confused. Yes, it's a trilogy, it is inevitable that what happens in the third installment is a result of the actions of Revan or Exile in the past. This is continuation. It does not require either character to physically appear.
Cheez did a poor job at first to explain his point of view. It's about having them not appear or only have very minor datapadish information on them. People thought that he was thinking about ditching the whole storyline to start a new one that had nothing to do with what happened in the two previous game. To tell you the truth, after reading the first part of the threat, I also thought that you wanted to ditch the storyline to start a whole new one.

About the comments on needing some link to the OT, seriously, if people make fan fics involving somebody named Solo, they have poor imagination or just want to make one about Solo's ancestor. If people want Boba Fett's helmet in game it's just because it's cool. It doesn't have anything to do with somebody wanting to have Darth Vader or Yoda appear in the game just to link the whole thing together.
By the way, not having a link between two different trilogies in two different eras is quite normal. Not having a link between three stories in the same trilogy is weird.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #59
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

So, cheez, let me get this right. You effectively want to play a game running effectively parallel to what the Exile is most likely to be doing at that point in time, right? With the True Sith invading...yes?

As I understood the storyline of TSL, the True Sith are not an immediate, direct threat, but a more insidious thing, that will, oh I don't know, sap the Republic, sicken it, and twist it into destroying itself with the subtlest of pressures.

At least, that's what Kreia (and the Bastila holocron(s) ) seemed to say...It could be that Revan went to buy cupcakes and it was all her manipulations...

As for direct invasion of the republic, it was strongly implied that this was off the cards, IIRC.

And LIAYD is right. This is a very confused thread and your arguments, cheez, are IMO, based on false logicks.

I motion that LIAYD's last post is the most intelligent in the Unknown Regions to date.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 06-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #60
Dark_lord_Cheez
Rookie

To LIAYD -
I am sorry for any confusion due to my posts, I am not exactly the clearest of speakers at times.

Quote:
So, cheez, let me get this right. You effectively want to play a game running effectively parallel to what the Exile is most likely to be doing at that point in time, right? With the True Sith invading...yes?
Not at the same moment as the Exile, but around his/her time. (The second game was only 5 years after the first afterall, I'm only saying it should be a similar amount of time between the second and third) I don't believe I said parallel to whatever the Exile was doing, I merely said that we should play as a new character a few years after TSL.

And the True Sith don't necessarilly have to invade, I was only using that as an example. I really don't know what the whole plot to the third game should be. I'd prefer to be surprised with a plot than go around telling people what I think the plot should be.

Quote:
As I understood the storyline of TSL, the True Sith are not an immediate, direct threat, but a more insidious thing, that will, oh I don't know, sap the Republic, sicken it, and twist it into destroying itself with the subtlest of pressures.
I agree with you on this.

Quote:
At least, that's what Kreia (and the Bastila holocron(s) ) seemed to say...It could be that Revan went to buy cupcakes and it was all her manipulations...
This is indeed possible. It could also be that the whole "True Sith" idea was just a ploy to get the Exile to search for Revan. For all we know this 'threat' that Kreia warns us of could just be a bunny rabbit or something.

Quote:
As for direct invasion of the republic, it was strongly implied that this was off the cards, IIRC.
Like I said before, I was just giving an example. Kind of like how you said Revan could just be buying cupcakes for all we knew.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #61
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

True. It'd be a bit bloody disappointing, though. Imagine it: Knights of the Old Republic III: Revenge of the Cupcakes

My question about the new character is this: why? what difference does it make? (After two pages of argument my head's spinning...)

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #62
Dark_lord_Cheez
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious
(After two pages of argument my head's spinning...)
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Anyway, it matters for the sake of the RPG itself. What makes the RPG such a great genre is that it focusses on finding out and developing who your character is. In so many ways we have already defined Revan and the Exile (the way they dress, what weapons they use, how they act, force alignment, etc.), so if we were to play as them again we would either need to continue playing the character that way (which doesn't really qualify as defining the character, we already know everything about them afterall), or we would have to change everything about them (not good for cotinuity).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I play as the Exile very different from how I play as Revan. Where Revan is a gray jedi who goes around and hacks people up for credits, the Exile is a calmer, lightsided sith lord. If we were forced to play Revan in the second game, I probably would have continued lobbing off people's heads until I got sick of it and threw the game away.

Pretty much what I'm saying is imagine if we had to play as Revan or the Exile again in the third game... I don't think many of us would be able to finish the game without getting incredibly annoyed at the same thing happening over and over again.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #63
T.Nova
Rookie

I too would dislike the scenario of playing as Revan or the Exile in a K3 storyline. Revan is obviously a legend in the KOTOR universe so you could include references that mention his time of power, or his redemption etc. The exile no one knows about pretty much, would be interesting though if you came across someone the Exile knew to explain in detail about his/her past, and tie up some loose ends.

Though I think the Jedi Order is obviously going to come back. From my vague memory if you played LS I think you normally left the Jedi Masters who went into hiding alive (Edit: I remember now that Kreia kills the Jedi Masters). But even more so there could be plenty more Jedi Masters out there as well, so you could make up some more. Or even more interesting would be to have one of the Jedi Masters from Dantoonie in K1 survive (actually didn't that Yoda-look-alike survive the attacks, I remember him in the final battle seqeunce over the Star Forge), despite the fact that they were presumed dead theres always the possibilty they may have escaped.

My Fan Fiction - Davik Kang : Rise to Power

Last edited by T.Nova; 06-28-2006 at 02:25 AM.
T.Nova is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #64
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Good to know I'm not the only one.
After reading LIAYD's post and re-reading yours I now say that I am almost in complete agreement with you. The only time I have ever seen NPCs go from one game to another would be BG1 to BG2 and do it well. That is only because in BG1 you were capped at ~8th level. This is were you and I will have to agree to disagree. I could see the Jedi NPCs form Kotor2 starting a new Jedi Counsel. But if they didn't I wouldn't be disappointed.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #65
HK47Lover
Lurker

Revan has to return in the series.... and it would be very easy to do. Simply on show Revan in his robes and mask. A few questions can set Revan to have been Male/Female, Light or Dark. Presto.... instant Revan.

If you played Knights 2 well, Kriea tells you the fate of all your party members, and even you. Everyone in your party with the exception of droids and Mandalore were force sensative people who the Exile will use to rebuild the order. If you were Dark Side, you rebuild the sith order (thus the ending titled as assuming the dark throne.)
You learn how Mira dies young, and everyone's fate.... after a time.... before that time.... could easily be the knights 3 story.

I have played Knights 2 about seven times, and each time I've played I've gotten Kreia to reveal more details about the future, and characters. I actually liked the story better after unlocking the extra stuff.

So I think if a final one comes.... Revan will be as I described, the Exile will be spoken of but not playable.... and I somehow think Kreia might very well return on an Obi Wan kind of way.... she was really anxsiou to be slain, and for as calculating as she was, I don't think we saw the full purpose behind her plan. To kill the force? Yeah....

I think a new character will emerge, a "new hope" if you will. And I think the story will force both the Jedi and Sith to have to fight the evil in the uknown regions together because it's gonna be an ugly fight. And I think this war will balance end leaving things in balance for a breif time....

And to the speculation of new series after this.... there are thousands of years to cover before catching up to the original triliogy.... could be interesting.
HK47Lover is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #66
T.Nova
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47Lover
Revan has to return in the series.... and it would be very easy to do. Simply on show Revan in his robes and mask. A few questions can set Revan to have been Male/Female, Light or Dark. Presto.... instant Revan.
Why does Revan "have" to return? Theres no plausible reason to include Revan but only to satisfy an audience who wants to play as their original character. As the topic implies, everyone pretty much knows who Revan was, so you would start out at level 20 and everyone would be in shock and awe once you walk into the cantina. Not only that, but you have no clue what Revan did in the Unknown Regions, and your role-playing the character so that makes it just plain odd unless Revan lost his/her memory during all of this (again).

Not to mention I'm always up for something new. The things that should be noted I think that will play an important role in K3 are these facts (welcome to correct or add anything I might have wrong or missed) -

- The Republic is economically unstable
- The Sith Order seems to be in slow decline after the events of K1, and is losing power gradually
- The Jedi Order has vanished, and Jedi aren't particulry well appreciated anymore
- The Mandalorians are trying to reunite and regain power once again (though how much of an effect did that suprise attack from the Sith leave)

Thats all I can think of at any rate.

My Fan Fiction - Davik Kang : Rise to Power
T.Nova is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > am I the only one worried?...