lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Who's the more foolish?
The fool 17 15.89%
The fool who follows him 90 84.11%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Who's the more foolish?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
matt--
Network Un-exploder
 
matt--'s Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,573
LFN Staff Member Notable contributor 
Who's the more foolish?

This one submitted by Bob Lion54.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54
If it hasn't been done before:

Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?


hehe


LFNetwork and LucasForums.com
matt at lfnetwork dot com
matt-- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Peff
Rookie
 
Peff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 83
I would say. The fool who follows him...

Theyr not saying how fool the foolish are, but I guess..Uhm

a fool who follows a fool is the biggest fool because he follows a fool. Wich makes the fool who follows a fool more foolish :P

It's not that bad to be a fool as long as the fool fools with style


- Don't worry ! There is no sugar... Drink Coka Cola instead
Peff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
For all you know, they could be following a very charismatic fool



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria
 
MachineCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Disneyland?
Posts: 2,657
The fool is more foolish because the fool following the fool is only following to make sure that the fool doesn't do anything foolish.



"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
JediKnight707
Or I will choke you...
 
JediKnight707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: On that Blvd. of Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,478
The fool. The fool who follows him is merely submitting themselves into peer-pressure

JediKnight707 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
counting_pine
Rookie
 
counting_pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 157
I think the answer to this question depends on two things:
How foolish the fool is.
How foolish the fool who follows him is.

With this information, the problem can be reduced to a greater-than / less-than problem, which is solvable in polynomial time.


Soli Deo Gloria
Jesu Juva
counting_pine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2006, 11:40 PM   #7
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,754
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
No matter how foolish the fool is, the fool that follows him must always be more foolish...wow that's deep...



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
JediKnight707
Or I will choke you...
 
JediKnight707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: On that Blvd. of Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,478
While I still stand by my vote, my friend brought up an interesting point: does the fool who follows know that the fool is a fool?

JediKnight707 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 AM   #9
Darth Andrew
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana, U.S.A
Posts: 943
This a trick question?

I say 'the fool who follows him' since onw would have to be a fool to follow a fool, foo.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
Peff
Rookie
 
Peff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 83
Isn't it Obi wan Kenobi or Han solo or something, who says this in Star Wars IV ?


- Don't worry ! There is no sugar... Drink Coka Cola instead
Peff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective
 
Bob Lion54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the case! Both my minds!
Posts: 2,103
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Andrew
This a trick question?
Its what Obi-Wan askes Han when Han says "Damn fool, I knew you'd say that." Rather than a trick question, its more of a retort.

Im actually supprised it was used for the poll. It just popped in my head when I read matt-- wanted people to send in poll ideas. I thought maybe he would get a kick out of it.

I'm glad it was used though. There have been some interesting, if circular, responses.


Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #12
Char Ell
Force Enlightened
 
Char Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,367
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
<_<
>_>
Where was the option for equally foolish?

IMO the follower is the more foolish of the two. But if the fool and his follower are both fools, then what does that make the person who observes the fool and his follower traipsing along their foolish path?


Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!


Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard
 
Commander Obi-Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,363
Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
The fool because the fool is the one doing it.....and the fool is following him. :O


Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #14
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,427
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
The fool who follows him because Old Ben is always right.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2006, 08:18 AM   #15
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan
 
Lantzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,156
Depands on the situation, the one that follow the fool maybe trying to stop the fool from doing something foolish like someone said before, then the follower isnt the most foolish. But if he just follow then the follower is the most foolish
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
Smon
Bizarro
 
Smon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 4,196
Current Game: Mega Man
Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
...fool is one of those words where if you say it, it doesn't sound like a real word anymore like plenty. Fool, fool, fool, fool, fool, fool, fooly, cooly, fool, see? Now it sounds like a totally different word.


I'm done putting links in my signature because every time I do it just links to some old crap I've long since stopped updating.
Smon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #17
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,187
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
This question is a typical example for these most pregnant pseudo wise phrases you get thrown at with in 'class A' movies. There is no general answer to be found and if then it's most probably of paradox nature. A fools grade of foolishness is not to be classified depending on whether he's following another fool's footsteps or not. According to the definition of the word fool, this is not of importance or relevance.

I'd like to see an option "Double Chocolate Cookies" and thus vote for it.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #18
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan
 
Darkkender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In the mountains of Oregon
Posts: 2,953
Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
He who follows a fool for any reason is still a fool. No matter how you justify a situation your still following the fool. Now being classified as a follower implies that you are being led by somebody. If you are being led by a fool then by default that makes you a fool as well. Now since it is universally agreed upon that those who follow and not lead are not independant thinkers thus they are foolish. This foolishness of following a fool makes the Follower the greater fool. So to the person who proposes this as an equation it would look like this.

void main()
{
fool = 1;
follower = fool;

fool + follower = greater_fool;
while(greater_fool > fool)
{
print("The Follower is the Greater Fool");
}
}


Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #19
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend
 
popcorn2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by legowar
No matter how foolish the fool is, the fool that follows him must always be more foolish...wow that's deep...
I like this statement, and have to agree.

If you have a fool, he is in definition foolish. When a fool follows the original fool, they have to be more foolish because they followed the first fool. If the fool who follows wasnt as foolish as the first fool then they wouldnt have followed the original fool.



> Lucas Forums Moderator
> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> Unofficial Petroglyph Fan Forums Global Moderator
popcorn2008 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #20
PoM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,145
Depends.
PoM is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #21
I say, I say
Rookie
 
I say, I say's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sleeping with the Fishs...
Posts: 65
The fool is already foolish, thus the other 'fool' already knows this. Yet despite this he allows himself or herself to follow the fool and therefore becoming more foolish than the fool.


"Oh Manny, so cynical, what happened to you Manny, that caused you to lose your sense of hope, your love of life?"
"I died"

There's a Lift Underground

A Lift Underground- A Grim Fandango Appreciation Site
I say, I say is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #22
Niner_777
[RC-1270]
 
Niner_777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Desert canyons of Praesitlyn
Posts: 1,491
I'd say that the fool is more foolish because the fool is already established as a fool, where as the fool who follows the fool hasn't actually been foolish at all and may not during the following of the fool



(^Click the pic to reveal my...) | Republic Commando: -]RC[-AjaX
BF2142: -]RC[-Auxidus | www.redcellgaming.com (I really need a userbar, eh. >.<)
Niner_777 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #23
=DEATH STAR=
Rookie
 
=DEATH STAR='s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 45
didnt obi wan in episode four summon that up? i voted for the fool who follows the other guy


That's no moon. That's a battle station.
=DEATH STAR= is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #24
MagnaGuard
Rookie
 
MagnaGuard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: On Utapau
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by =DEATH STAR=
didnt obi wan in episode four summon that up? i voted for the fool who follows the other guy
Yep.
MagnaGuard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #25
igyman
Tension!
 
igyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: White City
Posts: 3,400
Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
You'd have to be pretty foolish to follow a fool, so the fool who follows him gets my vote.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #26
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,911
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by counting_pine
I think the answer to this question depends on two things:
How foolish the fool is.
How foolish the fool who follows him is.

With this information, the problem can be reduced to a greater-than / less-than problem, which is solvable in polynomial time.

Any amount of foolishness is >0.
The Fool has x amount of foolishness.

Followers of anyone have y amount of foolishness simply for following, which is >0 (smaller number if they follow really brilliant people, a high number for following someone terminally stupid).

Someone who agrees with the fool has foolishness = to the fool.
Someone who follows does so because he agrees with the fool.

Therefore, the fool has x amount of foolishness, and the fool who follows has x amount of foolishness + y amount of foolishness for following. Since both x and y are positive, x+y>x, so the fool who follows is the more foolish.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 12:10 AM   #27
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Someone who's foolish is a fool. If someone is foolish because they follow a fool, then they themselves are a fool.

Since there's only one option, I vote fool.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 02:50 AM   #28
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Too much math in this thread!

The following fool is more foolish.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #29
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Silly RedHawke, to follow a fool makes one a fool! There's only one option to vote for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #30
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,911
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Too much math in this thread!

The following fool is more foolish.
Yeah, look at what multiple years of post-secondary education does for you.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #31
igyman
Tension!
 
igyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: White City
Posts: 3,400
Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Silly RedHawke, to follow a fool makes one a fool! There's only one option to vote for.
Nope. There are two options, remember, the question here is who is the bigger fool (more foolish) and 'the fool who follows him' is the bigger fool.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #32
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Ah, but two fools who go after the same cause are equal fools, whether they follow each other not. The fact remains that they are pursuing their foolish ideas.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #33
igyman
Tension!
 
igyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: White City
Posts: 3,400
Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Ah, but two fools who go after the same cause are equal fools, whether they follow each other not.
I don't agree with this. If someone pursues a foolish cause because someone else pursues it - if he follows a fool - then that someone is the bigger fool than the first one - the first fool pursues a foolish cause simply because he thinks that the cause is worth it, while the second, 'the fool who follows him', pursues that cause for that same reason, but more importantly, because he thinks that the first fool is right. This is the second fool's main reason, the opinion that the cause is worth it is secondary to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
The fact remains that they are pursuing their foolish ideas.
That's true, but again, the question here states, and I quote:
Quote:
Who's the more foolish?
The answer to that is still 'the fool who follows him'. It all goes down to the number of reasons for pursuing the foolish cause and, more importantly, to the main reason for pursuing it.


Last edited by igyman; 10-12-2006 at 05:45 PM.
igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #34
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,361
I vote for the fool, through a complex logical reasoning process.

But my heart tells me both are equally foolish.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #35
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,403
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Is the fool doing the following aware of the foolishness of the one he follows?
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #36
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,911
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Is the fool doing the following aware of the foolishness of the one he follows?
I don't know. Maybe he's being fooled.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 PM   #37
St. Jimmy
Registered User
 
St. Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Streets of shame
Posts: 1,461
I'm with The Doctor. If the follower doesn't know that the Fool is actually a Fool then he's obviously following the fool because he thinks he is right. I think the first Fool is the more foolish. The first Fool is already an established fool and is doing something straight out foolish, but the follower is obviously following the first Fool because he thinks he is correct. He wouldn't follow the first Fool if he knew it was foolish and wrong. The first Fool is just being outright foolish.
So, through my twisted logic, The First Fool is the more foolish.




The following tale of alien encounter is true and by true, I mean false. Its all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no.
St. Jimmy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 PM   #38
Halo_92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,068
the fool who follows the fool who is following the fool is the fool.
Halo_92 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2006, 01:19 AM   #39
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman
I don't agree with this. {snip}
Wow, this reply is long overdue. They're both still fools.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #40
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag
 
RC-1162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,447
Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
i'd say the fool who follows him, because an un-foolish person will be able to make out that foolishness coming out of the fool.


Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > Who's the more foolish?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.