lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Prostitution
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Prostitution

Based on the ensuing discussion in the Boycott the World Cup thread, here it is: The Senate's possibly first thread on prostitution.

And the question is: Should buying and selling of sexual intercourse be legal?

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
swphreak
My cabbages!!!
 
swphreak's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,510
10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I don't see why not. It's their bodies, they can do what they want with it. Just have strict rules and regulations. Regular check-ups, registration to keep track, require the use to condoms ect, have them pay taxes (imagine the revenue!). Stuff like that. Prostitution is going to happen, why not cash in on it, and make it safer for everyone.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Rogue15
Reconnaissance Specialist
 
Rogue15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Kaas City
Posts: 18,610
Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer 10 year veteran! 
no it shouldn't be legal. -_-


Battle is a pure form of expression. It is heart and discipline, reduced to movement and motion. In battle, the words are swept away, giving way to actions-- mercy, sacrifice, anger, fear. These are pure moments of expression.
Rogue15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
Have them pay taxes (imagine the revenue!)
The problem there is that I'm not sure if they can really afford to pay taxes. They need every cent they get.

But then again, I suppose that if there was to be a serious control system such as the one you describe (and I like the idea, as it could just make life a little safer for them), the money for it would have to come from somewhere.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
First I'd like to point out that this thread is about prostitution by consenting adults (18+), not minors, sex slaves, or forced prostitution. At least that's what I'd assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue15
no it shouldn't be legal. -_-
Well, why not? If you're going to post, at least explain your reasoning. You don't have to debate if you don't want to, but justify your post.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Give me a reason it shouldn't be that doesn't involve religion or personal belief.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2006, 01:03 AM   #7
Point Man
Seeker of Truth
 
Point Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The People's Palace
Posts: 612
I could write a book on this subject, but I will keep my reasons for rejecting the legalization of prostitution brief:
1) I want to keep the spread of STD's down. Legalize it, and they go up.
2) You cannot separate the exploitation of people from the trade, even where it is legal. I have a good friend who goes over to Amesterdam (where it is legal) every year to minister to women caught in human trafficking. The entire sex industry is built on exploitation.
3) When societies remove the intimacy from sex, they suffer. When we get sexual satisfaction outside of marriage, then staying in marriage is no longer so important. When marriages disolve, the family suffers. When the family suffers, society suffers.
I hope nobody is honestly proposing this is a good thing. If you look at the results, you will see no good can come from it.


Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2006, 01:13 AM   #8
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
I could write a book on this subject, but I will keep my reasons for rejecting the legalization of prostitution brief:
1) I want to keep the spread of STD's down. Legalize it, and they go up.
2) You cannot separate the exploitation of people from the trade, even where it is legal. I have a good friend who goes over to Amesterdam (where it is legal) every year to minister to women caught in human trafficking. The entire sex industry is built on exploitation.
3) When societies remove the intimacy from sex, they suffer. When we get sexual satisfaction outside of marriage, then staying in marriage is no longer so important. When marriages disolve, the family suffers. When the family suffers, society suffers.
I hope nobody is honestly proposing this is a good thing. If you look at the results, you will see no good can come from it.
1. Not if it's regulated.
2. Amsterdam isn't exactly "tough on crime", there's also almost no regulations on it there.
3. I said reasons that don't involve religious or personal opinions.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2006, 01:18 AM   #9
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
The cost of regulating prostitution would cost much more then any taxing of it could rake in (not the mention, THE DEPARTMENT OF SEXUAL REGULATION sounds quite orwellian). Anyone running a sleazy business such as this isn't going to want to pay taxes when they could just do things illegally like before and keep all of the money.

No moral arguments here
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2006, 01:21 AM   #10
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
The cost of regulating prostitution would cost much more then any taxing of it could rake in (not the mention, THE DEPARTMENT OF SEXUAL REGULATION sounds quite orwellian). Anyone running a sleazy business such as this isn't going to want to pay taxes when they could just do things illegally like before and keep all of the money.

No moral arguments here
It'd be the health department that regulates it.


I should also clarify: I think that it should be allowed in brothels, which would then be subject to inspection by the health department.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2006, 01:24 AM   #11
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
They already have that in Nevada, but of course everyone knows that illegal prostitutes exist in Nevada, and they certainly out number the legal prostitutes.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2006, 01:25 AM   #12
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
1) I want to keep the spread of STD's down. Legalize it, and they go up.
I'm not fond of government regulating much of anything, but you could have laws in place that in order to work as a prostitute, you must have regular STD exams by a doctor. If you have an STD, you are not allowed to (legally) be a prostitute. But that's if you prefer having the government regulating the aspects of people's lives. That's not something I am fond of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
2) You cannot separate the exploitation of people from the trade, even where it is legal. I have a good friend who goes over to Amesterdam (where it is legal) every year to minister to women caught in human trafficking. The entire sex industry is built on exploitation.
This thread is about consensual prostitution, not forced prostitution/sex slavery. A woman who, on her own will, turns to prostitution to earn money, is not being exploited. Nothing stopping her from working at Burger King if she doesn't want to be a prostitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
3) When societies remove the intimacy from sex, they suffer. When we get sexual satisfaction outside of marriage, then staying in marriage is no longer so important. When marriages disolve, the family suffers. When the family suffers, society suffers.
I hope nobody is honestly proposing this is a good thing. If you look at the results, you will see no good can come from it.
This seems to be blatantly wrong. Societies that have strict rules banning fornication can be found in places like Saudi Arabia and Iran, and these two countries are clearly not so... well, ideal.

There is no law against fornication in this country, hell, no law even against adultry. And we can divorce all the time. If you think that families are going to suffer because of prostitution, you might want to think about perhaps banning divorce first. Not that I'm saying banning divorce would be good either.

Marriage is not just about sex, anyway.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 09:14 AM   #13
ShadowTemplar
Heathen
 
ShadowTemplar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,068
Hmm... I'm divided... On the one hand, I dislike the concept of prostitution. I think it cheapens and diminishes one of the most intimate and personal things humans can share.

On the other hand, I have to say that there are compelling arguments in favor of legalising prostitution. It will enable the courtesans to form labour unions. It will make it easier to stand up to exploitation, since you'll know that you won't get fined just for being in the business. And it just might cut down on a source of income for - ah - certain less than savory characters.

Troll-Be-Gone: I'm not saying that regulating the business would outright eliminate the criminal parts of it. Selling tobacco is legal, but that doesn't prevent people from smuggling in tobacco to do an end-run around taxes etc. Nor will legalising prostitution magically eliminate the problem of abusive pimps. But it might make it a tad easier to find and fine them.

And it would end one particular bit of hypocracy inheirent in our social matrix: When a woman ****s ten different elderly men for their money, it's called prostitution, and it's wrong. When a woman ****s a single elderly man for his money, it's called marriage, and it's right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
I could write a book on this subject, but I will keep my reasons for rejecting the legalization of prostitution brief:
1) I want to keep the spread of STD's down. Legalize it, and they go up.
More Religious Riech bull****. If organised in labor unions, regulated by working environment laws, etc. there's no reason to expect it to contribute to spreading STDs. Quite the opposite, actually.

Quote:
2) You cannot separate the exploitation of people from the trade, even where it is legal.
I don't buy that argument. You could make virtually the same argument for cotton farmers, factory workers, and virtually every other industry in human history. Historically, the best cure for lousy working conditions and de facto slavery has been strong labour unions and strong government employee health regulation.

Quote:
When we get sexual satisfaction outside of marriage, then staying in marriage is no longer so important.
This one gets points for honesty. In reality, the Religious Reich are opposed to legalising prostitution for no reason whatsoever other than protecting their fantasy-world conception of family and their equally rose-tinted conception of marriage. All the other reasons they give are smoke screen.

Think, however, for a moment about this line of reasoning. 'If you disassociate sex and marriage, marriage will die.' Give me a break... If you think that there is nothing more to a stable relationship than sex, then you shouldn't marry in the first place.

Quote:
When marriages disolve, the family suffers.
I dispute that. I propose that it is better to endure a divorce than to endure living with a spouse that you can't stand. And I happen to know that it's not the end of the world to be a child of divorced parents.

In point of fact, I would go so far as to maintain that it is better for the child to grow up with parents who are divorced, but who speak with each other, than to grow up with parents who are married but do not speak with each other.

For that matter, in a society where marriage is solely the decision of the couple, and not a matter of ensuring the production of heirs or cementing political and legal relationsships between clans, I would claim that the possiblity of divorce is a requirement for the existence of marriage.

It is, after all, impossible to know your feelings twenty or thirty years in the future. So, if you cannot get out of a marriage that exists only on paper, you have a rather strong disincentive to marry in the first place.

Quote:
When the family suffers, society suffers.
I would claim the contrary. In order to ensure liberty, the family must take a distinctly secondary role in society. Societies where the family is the primary fallback in times of economic or social crisis have always been totalitarian nightmares, and societies in which the family is the primary political unit are just plain barbaric.

ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #14
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
Think, however, for a moment about this line of reasoning. 'If you disassociate sex and marriage, marriage will die.' Give me a break... If you think that there is nothing more to a stable relationship than sex, then you shouldn't marry in the first place.
Exactly. Kudos. Likewise with the "allowing gays/inter-racials to marry will wreck marriage"-arguments. I like to call it hunting ghosts. If you want the divorce rate down, educate youngsters on what to expect from marriage. Tell them what divorce does to children. Instruct them on how to divide responsibilities, solve disputes, avoid arguments, and cope with stress.

My high school in the 'States had a half-semester course that did just that. But no one applied for it, so it was not offered. Should've been mandatory.

Quote:
I dispute that. I propose that it is better to endure a divorce than to endure living with a spouse that you can't stand. And I happen to know that it's not the end of the world to be a child of divorced parents.
Absolutely, absolutely. What I think he meant was that it's better to fight for a marriage than to just give it up. Lots of people have mis-conceptions about what marriage is.

My parents went through this period of fighting and not talking to each others when I was young. I was (and although we didn't dare talk about, I daresay I think my siblings were too) seriously scared they were going to divorce. But they stuck together and are now really, really close.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #15
ShadowTemplar
Heathen
 
ShadowTemplar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Absolutely, absolutely. What I think he meant was that it's better to fight for a marriage than to just give it up.
Maybe. Sometimes. Depends on what you mean by 'fight for' and 'give up.' If by 'fight for' you mean staying in something that's eating you from the inside, then it's a Bad Idea. If by 'give up' you mean breaking up over the sligtest misgiving or practical problem, then you're right that 'giving up' is a Bad Thing.

In the end, I suppose what matters most is that the decision - whatever it is in the end - is made with thought and care.

But marriage wasn't really the topic of this thread - in point of fact, the attempt to get us to debate marriage was a more or less deliberate red herring.

EDIT: Oh, and Dagobahn, the guy I was replying to is a RR troll. Your charitable interpretation of his ignorant rant does him far too much credit.

ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,444
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Prostitution is as old as human civilization (perhaps even older) and has existed in each and every human society to date,.. and I have no reason to believe that will ever change. Men who wish to visit prostitutes will always be able to find a way to do it.

For that reason alone I think it should be legalized and regulated... to give some power to the authorities to control it. There will always be those that choose to operate outside the laws even then, but what patron would think to attend an unlicensed operator when he could visit a legal, licenced, and guaranteed clean establishment?

I also find it somewhat ironic in American society that it is perfectly legal for a woman to get paid to have sex with perfect strangers, as long as it happens on camera, but never in any other circumstances. Is the only difference that the men she is having sex with are also being paid to be there, and not (generally) the ones doing the paying? I've never been quite able to find that moral fine line that separates "prostitution" from "adult entertainment." Why should one be perfectly legal to participate in, but not the other? What exactly is the distinction?


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #17
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
For that reason alone I think it should be legalized and regulated... to give some power to the authorities to control it. There will always be those that choose to operate outside the laws even then, but what patron would think to attend an unlicensed operator when he could visit a legal, licenced, and guaranteed clean establishment?
Because maybe they're into something exceptionally strange, by that I meen not legal.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #18
ShadowTemplar
Heathen
 
ShadowTemplar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
Because maybe they're into something exceptionally strange, by that I meen not legal.
Possibly... But how would that situation differ from the present one?

ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I'm referring to people who are into pedophilia, sadism, or something along those lines. Besides if your going to pick up a prostitute you're already throwing caution to the wind, I don't think you care how clean the place is.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #20
ShadowTemplar
Heathen
 
ShadowTemplar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,068
I reiterate my question: How would the legalisation of prostitution among adult, willing people change the situation w.r.t. the costumers you bring up?

ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 AM   #21
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness
 
ET Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Evil League of Evil
Posts: 9,405
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
Besides if your going to pick up a prostitute you're already throwing caution to the wind, I don't think you care how clean the place is.
Of course. I mean, who cares if they contract AIDS or other STD's these days anywho?

It's just like when people get tattoos. If there's a choice between a nice clean tattoo parlor or the back of some guys van...I dont think there's much of a choice to be made there.



ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 AM   #22
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Sure she/he looks clean but these days that doesn't mean anything, generally having intercourse with someone you don't know is a potentially dangerous activity.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 07:38 AM   #23
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,444
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Well sure... you are better off not going at all.

BUT if you are going to go (and lots and lots of people do make that choice everyday,) wouldn't it be better to go to one that has regular screenings and has a stamp of approval from a state health board and has mandatory condom usage?

You are still taking chances somewhat (you'll never truly know about the guy that was just before you...) but seems to me that your odds are slightly better in the latter case.

But even leaving all the "customer protection" issues aside... having it out in the open seems a much better situation for the workers, who currently live under mostly abusive situations (often crossing into the realm of human-rights violations) by pimps as well as clients. Having it legal, regulated, and out in the open will make these abuses far harder to cover up.


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 07:42 AM   #24
swphreak
My cabbages!!!
 
swphreak's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,510
10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
Sure she/he looks clean but these days that doesn't mean anything, generally having intercourse with someone you don't know is a potentially dangerous activity.
Which is why if prostitution was legalized and regulated, the chances of a customer contracting STDs would be less. Also, the prostitutes could require clients to prove they're clean as well.

And yeah, I think there is a pretty huge difference between the clean looking tattoo parlor with certifications on the wall and the smelly old van in the back parking lot.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #25
Darth_Terros
Veteran
 
Darth_Terros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Korriban
Posts: 821
Helpful! 
I agree with whats been said already that it should be legalised with the idea being of regular health screenings like in porn where the "actors" have to have a check up every 28 days and have to have a certificate saying they are clean before they are allowed to work.


Darth_Terros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #26
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
Also, the prostitutes could require clients to prove they're clean as well.
How are they going to do that, you need a full screening to be sure that someone isn't infected with even the most obscure STD. Both client and Prostitute are at risk for contracting something because of the vast clientel that go through one of these places.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #27
El Sitherino
The Original.
 
El Sitherino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Planet Funkālnite.
Posts: 14,509
Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
That's why you demand recorded proof of your cleanliness.
It's not that hard, no proof, no service.


“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #28
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Who's going to want to take a physical once a month, medical screening is expensive.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #29
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
Who's going to want to take a physical once a month, medical screening is expensive.
Someone who doesn't want to get crabs.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #30
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Once a month medical screening plus the costs of sessions with a prostitute are a sure way to rocket yourself into debt. People aren't going to want to get constant screening when they could just go underground and take the risk of catching something.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #31
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
Once a month medical screening plus the costs of sessions with a prostitute are a sure way to rocket yourself into debt. People aren't going to want to get constant screening when they could just go underground and take the risk of catching something.
And yet the cost of a prostitute would dramatically drop, because there would be more supply for the demand. You say you're a right-winger, and as someone on the right, you should know the basics of supply and demand. The reason why prostitutes are so expensive is because there's more demand for them than there is supply. This is directly because of the government ban of prostitution, which lowers supply. This is the same situation with drugs, but that's a different topic.

So depending on how much the screening would be, it would be either cheaper or about the same as prostitution is now. Besides, it's worth it to get a prostitute that is more likely to not give you AIDS. So even if it were to cost MORE, which is not likely, it's still better to have it legalized... if people would continue to go to unscreened prostitutes, fine, get crabs. I don't care.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #32
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
And yet the cost of a prostitute would dramatically drop, because there would be more supply for the demand. You say you're a right-winger, and as someone on the right, you should know the basics of supply and demand. The reason why prostitutes are so expensive is because there's more demand for them than there is supply. This is directly because of the government ban of prostitution, which lowers supply. This is the same situation with drugs, but that's a different topic.

So depending on how much the screening would be, it would be either cheaper or about the same as prostitution is now. Besides, it's worth it to get a prostitute that is more likely to not give you AIDS. So even if it were to cost MORE, which is not likely, it's still better to have it legalized... if people would continue to go to unscreened prostitutes, fine, get crabs. I don't care.
My understanding of capitalism is just fine. One of the reasons someone is driven to prostitution is because it requires almost no talent of any kind, and large amounts of money are earned quickly(Or they are working to support some form of addiction). The cost of regulating this activity would ammount to more then the income, when this happens the government would have to pay for the regulation of an activity that is only participated in by a fraction of the population. This country has enough debt as it is, regulating prostitution isn't something we need to be partaking at this point in time, maybe if we get a budget surplus going again, but not now. Ultimately the decision rests with the population as a whole.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 10:57 PM   #33
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Again, you're not taking into account the broader picture. Law enforcement spends about HALF of their time and money on vice (drugs & prostitution), and if cops didn't have to focus so much of their efforts on hunting down people who are breaking corrupt vice laws, the cost of funding law enforcement, the justice system, and the prison system, could essentially be cut in half as well. All these people moving through the system because of drug and prostitution charges would not be overcrowding our prisons.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 11:10 PM   #34
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Most people don't want prostitution and recreational drug use legalized, that's why they continue to vote for people who aren't going to legalize it. When you are elected as a representative you uphold the will of the people who elected you or you are voted out of office. The facts are any sexual relationship that is not serialy mogonomous poses a serious risk of STD contraction. Vice laws are not corupt, maybe you'de think that way if your behavior contradicts that of most people in society.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 11:19 PM   #35
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
Most people don't want prostitution and recreational drug use legalized, that's why they continue to vote for people who aren't going to legalize it. When you are elected as a representative you uphold the will of the people who elected you or you are voted out of office.
If there's anything we've learned throughout history, it's that being in the majority does not make you right. Banning drug use and prostitution is harmful to society. It floods our justice and prison systems with people who have not done any harm. It allows rapists and murderers and thieves to get away while police focus their effort on hunting down prostitutes and harmless stoners.

Besides, if the American people always got their way, Al Gore would have been President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
The facts are any sexual relationship that is not serialy mogonomous poses a serious risk of STD contraction.
This is true. So what do you suggest, ban fornication? Make it illegal to have sex out of marriage? That's like the kind of laws established in Iran and Saudi Arabia. Maybe they have a better control over the spread of STD's?
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 11:37 PM   #36
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
If there's anything we've learned throughout history, it's that being in the majority does not make you right.Banning drug use and prostitution is harmful to society. It floods our justice and prison systems with people who have not done any harm. It allows rapists and murderers and thieves to get away while police focus their effort on hunting down prostitutes and harmless stoners.
We all know that the rights of the majority can't take away from the rights of the minority, but the last time I checked the constitution and it's amendments it didn't say anything about the right the get layed or stoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Besides, if the American people always got their way, Al Gore would have been President.
Well we still use an electoral system to decide Presidential elections. If you don't like write a letter to the supreme court, and your local representatives as they can put pressure on the supreme court. Nowaday's since we have complex computers and communication systems the need for electoral college is no longer needed. Just because I'm on the right doesn't mean I like the electoral college and throwing it in my face won't do any good.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
This is true. So what do you suggest, ban fornication? Make it illegal to have sex out of marriage? That's like the kind of laws established in Iran and Saudi Arabia. Maybe they have a better control over the spread of STD's?
I'm simply saying people don't look out for their own well being or that of their families when they make snap decisions (Like soliciting a prostitute). Does the wife of a businessman who goes out of town for a meeting deserve to get an STD because her husband made a bad decision? I'm not calling for a ban or any sort of government intervention, I'm just saying that people don't weigh the consequences to them and those they care about when they make a bad decision.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 PM   #37
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
We all know that the rights of the majority can't take away from the rights of the minority, but the last time I checked the constitution and it's amendments it didn't say anything about the right the get layed or stoned.
It's called the pursuit of happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
I'm simply saying people don't look out for their own well being or that of their families when they make snap decisions (Like soliciting a prostitute). Does the wife of a businessman who goes out of town for a meeting deserve to get an STD because her husband made a bad decision? I'm not calling for a ban or any sort of government intervention, I'm just saying that people don't weigh the consequences to them and those they care about when they make a bad decision.
So wait, who's to say that people aren't going to go to prostitutes just because it's illegal? That very same businessman could go to a prostitute and get an STD, and give it to his wife, no matter if prostitution is legal or not. But if he visits a screened prostitute, the chances of him getting said STD and giving it to said wife would be significantly less. So legalizing prostitution is a win for EVERYONE.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2006, 12:39 AM   #38
Point Man
Seeker of Truth
 
Point Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The People's Palace
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I'm not fond of government regulating much of anything, but you could have laws in place that in order to work as a prostitute, you must have regular STD exams by a doctor. If you have an STD, you are not allowed to (legally) be a prostitute. But that's if you prefer having the government regulating the aspects of people's lives. That's not something I am fond of.
I just came off a tour in the Army and I work in a hospital in civilian life, and I can tell you from my experience with government and health care the government would never be able to do a good job of regulating health care for prostitutes. And, frankly, there are many much more worthwhile things the government should do. I would rather see well-funded health insurance plans for the poor first.



Quote:
This thread is about consensual prostitution, not forced prostitution/sex slavery. A woman who, on her own will, turns to prostitution to earn money, is not being exploited. Nothing stopping her from working at Burger King if she doesn't want to be a prostitute.
The point is that you cannot separate the exploitation from it. There is no such thing as prostitution without exploitation. Think about it. Why do pimps get their girls hooked on drugs? Why do they enslave girls? Because they are vicious people. Legalizing the business is not going to suddenly turn them into legitimate businessmen who pay their workers good wages with health insurance and a 401(k) plan.



Quote:
Marriage is not just about sex, anyway.
As a man who has been married 16 years, I think I can speak on that subject better than just about anyone else on this forum. Of course, marriage is about much more than sex. However, that was not my point. My point was that many people confuse sex with intimacy. Promoting something that allows men (and admit it, prostitution is overwhelmingly weighted toward servicing men) to find sexual satisfaction without the intimacy of marriage weakens the incentive to marry and stay married. When men do not stay married, a host of societal ills ensues. Those will be discussed below.

@ShadowTemplar:
1) I make no apologies for being up front about my religion, and, yes, I would call myself conservative. However, your resorting to throwing out epithets does nothing to diminish the validity of my arguments. It only makes you look bad.
2) My argument was not a deliberate red herring. I honestly believe society is badly served by promoting anything that diminishes the importance of the family. I may have failed to make it clear how I believe that legalizing prostitution does that, but I was not trying to derail the thread. I have better things to do with my time. Hopefully, in the above discussion I made it more clear.
3) Thousands of studies reveal that the best situation for children is to grow up in a house with a mother and a father (PM me if you want several pages of references--this is a special academic interest for me). Children of nuclear families have better health, perform better in school, and grow up to lead more productive lives. They have less incidence of poverty, incarceration, and teenage pregnancy. Tell me how it is better for a child to go through life poor, sick, struggling in school, and pregnant at 15.

@jmac: These are not personal beliefs, they are facts. I did not see any evidence to back up your statements.


Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2006, 01:12 AM   #39
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
I just came off a tour in the Army and I work in a hospital in civilian life, and I can tell you from my experience with government and health care the government would never be able to do a good job of regulating health care for prostitutes. And, frankly, there are many much more worthwhile things the government should do. I would rather see well-funded health insurance plans for the poor first.
I agree with you on this. The government sucks at pretty much everything it does, and that would include regulating prostitution (or regulating anything for that matter). To be honest, I wouldn't care if they just legalized prostitution and that's it. Not even regulate it. I'm about ready to just say fine, if you want to visit a prostitute, go ahead. But it's your own damn fault if you get crabs or AIDS. I think stupidity should be painful. And if you're a prostitute and get an STD, too bad, you should have worked at Taco Bell.

But I'm tired of cops throwing people in jail and wasting OUR TAX DOLLARS hunting down people who are not doing anything to harm anyone. A woman who turns to prostitution is most likely poor and can't get a decent job, and giving them a criminal record on top of that DOESN'T HELP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
The point is that you cannot separate the exploitation from it. There is no such thing as prostitution without exploitation. Think about it. Why do pimps get their girls hooked on drugs? Why do they enslave girls? Because they are vicious people. Legalizing the business is not going to suddenly turn them into legitimate businessmen who pay their workers good wages with health insurance and a 401(k) plan.
Wait a minute, doesn't the prostitute CHOOSE their pimp? Doesn't the prostitute CHOOSE to take the drugs? And enslaving girls isn't prostitution, it's called sex slavery. Entirely a different matter.

And if it's legalized, there wouldn't be pimps anyway. Pimps are used BECAUSE it's illegal and the woman needs some kind of protection, guidance, etc. that wouldn't be needed if she worked at a brothel instead of on a street corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
Promoting something that allows men (and admit it, prostitution is overwhelmingly weighted toward servicing men) to find sexual satisfaction without the intimacy of marriage weakens the incentive to marry and stay married. When men do not stay married, a host of societal ills ensues.
Again, you seem to be saying that marriage is more about sex than anything.

"Okay, so I love this woman and I want to be with her forever, raise our kids together, buy a home together, go on vacations together, but since I can get sex from a prostitute, I'll just forget about marriage"?

It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #40
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
It's called the pursuit of happiness.
That's from the Declaration of independence
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Prostitution

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.