lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Steam?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Steam?

I'm fairly uneducated when it comes to Steam, and have lately developed an interest in it. However, a few minutes of Google have come up with quite a few complaints about Steam. Things like, "Steam is spyware." and such. Are these rumors true? Or are these complaints the product of a disgruntled, ignorant customers? Thanks for any help.

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
it's one of the least intrusive or annoying drm schemes out there, however I don't buy any games except Valve ones via steam because I like to have boxes/discs and while valve promises to release fixes for their games if they ever close steam, no other companies with games on it promise the same thing.

It's much better than when it was new, it rarely crashes anymore and I doubt it's anymore spyware than other drms. And surely less than WoW's Warden, starforce, or any of the other really nasty ones. There are voluntary stats collection every once in a while about what your PC has, so then Valve publishes the stats for everyone one to see. Basically stuff like the percentages of people with proc speed/cores, gfx card generation/mfg, total ram, total hdd, type of internet, etc.

I'm not a huge fan, but there still isn't too much bad things to say about it, so I'd say try it for Valve games at least and if you like it, try it for the other games they offer too.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
If you play games on your PC, you're kind of a freak if you don't have Steam. While not having boxes may bother some (not me, 'eff putting DVDs in), there is really no reason not* to use Steam. Tons of games, great prices, no installs, seamless patching, community support, in-game chat, in-game web browser, achievements, etc.

*You're welcome ~IG-64

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013

Last edited by IG-64; 05-21-2010 at 01:23 PM.
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I don't use Steam because of their DRM. It forces you to install their program and open it always, so that you can play a game.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.

Last edited by Alexrd; 11-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Steam is probably the best thing to happen to PC gaming in 15 years. No lie.

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
IG-64

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I love Steam. I've never had a problem with it. The ability to pre-install games before they even come out, while arguably pointless, is still a nice feature when it lets you play new games instantly. I've also gotten some good gameplay out of achievements (nearly vital for Left 4 Dead). Probably the most useful feature though is the ability to just log in to a computer and install whatever game you want, without worrying about anything. I recently accidentally broke my install CD to Jedi Academy, and now I'm thinking about getting it on Steam for $10.

In fact, I don't really remember the last PC game I bought that wasn't on Steam; unless you count the Indie Bundle... which I wish was on Steam for the achievements.

The only consistent complaint I ever hear about Steam is that they have a monopoly on digital distribution methods, and whether that's true or not you won't hear me complaining about it.
IG-64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
BongoBob
Good Eye, Sniper

Current Game: BC2, FFXIII
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
However, a few minutes of Google have come up with quite a few complaints about Steam. Things like, "Steam is spyware."
facepalm.jpg

BongoBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
Things like, "Steam is spyware." and such. Are these rumors true? Or are these complaints the product of a disgruntled, ignorant customers?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_steam_spyware

While Steam does collect information about your system, it always asks you beforehand and Valve uses the information to further tailor their products to current hardware trends.

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Anthony
Thats it.

Current Game: Life
Forum Veteran 
Steam is awesome.

The only thing that ever once sucked about it was when I formatted and didnt backup any of the game files. So I had to download all my games again. Which is about 250gb. With a 95gb monthly "cap" in which I get charged if i go over.

**** sucked. But I buy ALL my games on steam.

Anthony is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Samuel Dravis

I use Steam to buy cheap games. I don't buy AAA titles on Steam though, since I want discs. However, you might also be interested in Impulse, which only requires the client to be on / internet-connected when you're downloading the game. I have several games through Impulse, and frankly I'd rather have them through that than Steam.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
I re-did my system a bit back, upgrading to a retail copy of Windows 7, and bringing over all my games was really easy. Just re-installed Steam and then copied over my old Steam apps folder, so I didn't even need to re-install or download. But I lost saves on a few games, not too big of a deal, though.

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
IG-64

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE23 View Post
I re-did my system a bit back, upgrading to a retail copy of Windows 7, and bringing over all my games was really easy. Just re-installed Steam and then copied over my old Steam apps folder, so I didn't even need to re-install or download. But I lost saves on a few games, not too big of a deal, though.
When I upgraded to Windows 7 all I lost was my progress on the silver and gold achievements for portal challenge maps since I had never actually finished those.. which I admit kind of pissed me off but que sera, sera.
IG-64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
MrWally
Gunslinger

Forum Veteran 
Steam is fantastic. I don't remember the last time I've bought a videogame any other way.

And they have incredible deals every weekend, and they sell some great bundles. Black Friday on Steam is absolutely horrible because I want to purchase every deal they offer.

Calling Steam spyware is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxStar View Post
Steam is probably the best thing to happen to PC gaming in 15 years. No lie.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-64 View Post
When I upgraded to Windows 7 all I lost was my progress on the silver and gold achievements for portal challenge maps since I had never actually finished those.. which I admit kind of pissed me off but que sera, sera.
When I upgraded, all I really had was the games from the Orange Box, and L4D, and pretty much everything saved over, except, like IG-64 said, my Portal Challenge Map achievements and the progress on some L4D achievements.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
The Steam sale has started folks, go grab a bargain. It's on from the 24th to the 29th.

http://store.steampowered.com/

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
There's also the wishlist sweepstake thing.

Add 10 games to your wishlist and you might get the top 5 games from Steam.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #17
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Oh, I didn't know it had to be at least 10. Thanks.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #18
MrWally
Gunslinger

Forum Veteran 
Hey everyone. I haven't posted here in forever!

That said:

L4D2 is $5 today! I'm thinking about getting it, but I have no friends to play it with

Would people get in on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #19
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Current Game: BF3
I like to advocate Impulse. It's DRM-free and lets you play games without having to run it in the background. This also means that you can run the same game at multiple places, at the same time.

I've decided to make all digital purchases off Impulse from now on, unless it requires Steam to run in the background (like Civilization 5 or Empire: Total War). The pricing tends to be the same or similar. Just got Company of Heroes: Gold for $14.99 off Impulse this Thanksgiving Break.

But Steam is alright. I abhor the lack of profiles for games and the lack of running a game in multiple places at the same time, however.

- PR-0927

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #20
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
I forgot my steam ID. Bleh, I'll just open a new one.

Not big for MMO, but yeah...I like computer games especially b/c of mods.

How could anyone NOT have steam and call themselves PC gamer material? Sure one can call it being a rebel, but 'a rebel' usually has sense, and a cause. The people in the 'PC gamer> non steam' bracket...tend to have neither, or have little interest in said area and are not game-r material to the core.
Show spoiler

Just my opinion, it doesn't really jibe to be mostly a computer gamer and not be on steam. Just my two cents on the issue.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2010, 04:08 AM   #21
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I only got Steam very recently, and it was only because Mav said he'd gift me something for 30 bucks lol.

Now I have a few games... got Alpha Protocol for 7 bucks on another site and then put the CD key into steam lol.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #22
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I only buy games on Steam that are either super-cheap and I know I won't find it anywhere else for that price or for games I just can't find anywhere. I'm still not too comfy with downloading huge-ass games but running Steam to play my games is not that much of a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-0927 View Post
I like to advocate Impulse. It's DRM-free and lets you play games without having to run it in the background. This also means that you can run the same game at multiple places, at the same time.
You mean it's a good way to play on LAN? Hmm...

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #23
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Then what is it that you download? an .iso?

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #24
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
You mean it's a good way to play on LAN? Hmm...

Precisely. Steam is annoying in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Then what is it that you download? an .iso?

Nope, just like Steam, the game installs itself to your computer, but not in any obnoxious Steam folder - it the folders that would have been created if you had the disc.

- PR-0927

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #25
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Nope, just like Steam, the game installs itself to your computer, but not in any obnoxious Steam folder - it the folders that would have been created if you had the disc.
Can you play it without an internet connection? What must you do to play it on another computer?

Last edited by Alexrd; 12-10-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #26
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Quote:
Can you play it without an internet connection? What must you do to play it on another computer?

No Internet connection needed, and Impulse does not have to be running. You just install the Impulse client on any PC you want the game on, and download and install it. Only DRM you'll encounter is anything already in the game from the developers (like the nonsense 3-installs-limit for a very small handful of games). Stardock (the company behind Impulse and the brilliant game Sins of a Solar Empire) doesn't believe in DRM usage, at least in the contemporary sense - you can't get game patches for games published by Stardock from anything other than Impulse, but that's the only thing.

- PR-0927

Old 12-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #27
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
No Internet connection needed, and Impulse does not have to be running. You just install the Impulse client on any PC you want the game on, and download and install it.
So, you can install the client, download the game, and then uninstall Impulse and still play the game? What about playing it on other computers?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #28
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Quote:
So, you can install the client, download the game, and then uninstall Impulse and still play the game? What about playing it on other computers?

Exactly. And unless the game has some in-game check on running it on multiple computers at the same time (like BFBC2, which will boot off one player from being logged into the game if it's running in two places and logged in with the same account - this kind of thing pretty much happens only in games with log-in features), you can run it for LAN or whatever. My roommate, brother, and some friends all like to LAN up Sins of a Solar Empire. Impulse doesn't even need to run.

Only disadvantage is that you need Impulse for patches for all games published by Stardock, but that's not too much of a problem. And the games store is smaller than Steam's, but it's pretty decent nonetheless.

- PR-0927

Old 12-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #29
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Has anyone bought any of the games on sale?

There are a couple of games I would have bought if they didn't have third party DRM.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #30
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I got a few things... but just today I bought the star wars collection and the id super pack... XD yay... trying to decide if I want to get the 2k collection or just get borderlands goty...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > Steam?