lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Which console do you most want to succeed?
Microsoft Xbox 360 151 36.65%
Nintendo Wii 171 41.50%
Sony Playstation 3 90 21.84%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Which console do you most want to succeed?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #41
Darth333
Administraterror

I will likely not buy a next gen console. I have an xbox and it does very little apart collecting dust. I prefer the flexibility of a PC which also allow me to easily tweak my games to my liking. However, to answer the poll, I'd say the Wii. It's the only console that has an innovative design (the only "next-gen" console to me) and the one with the most reasonable price.

The PS3 price is just ridiculous IMHO. It's just a game console but at the price of a mid-range computer.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #42
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Microsoft's Xbox 360 barely edges Nintendo's next-gen for my poll vote only because I'm a PC gamer and I've got this idea in my head (could be on this) that if Xbox 360 has games that do well then those games are more likely to be ported to PC than games from Nintendo's new console or Sony's PS 3. I really hope BioWare's Mass Effect makes it to PC after its Xbox 360 debut.

I also like the innovation and low price Nintendo is bringing with its new console. I'm considering purchasing one after the initial launch craze subsides.

I couldn't care less about Sony's PS 3.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #43
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Forza 5
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
well, i'm definately more of a PC gamer than a console gamer, but i will gladly admit that the Wii has me quite intrigued. i've watched several videos on the new motion sensing controls for the Wii, and i'm all but convinced that it will put Nintendo back into the lead in the console wars.

where Sony and Micro$oft are content to just evolve the consoles by giving them better processing capabilities, Nintendo has shown that they are willing to give us something truely revolutionary. Sony, IMHO, gave the whole motion sensing idea lip service by adding in the functionality at the last minute which only shows how much of a revolution Nintendo has already started. the fact that you can change the thinking of a major competitor before your product even hits the market is huge.

if anything, the 360 and the PS3 aren't truely next-gen to begin with. sure, the graphics and the processing power are getting a boost, but what is that going to give you aside from better AI and physics (which, by the way, are already here with games like Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R, and Oblivion hitting the market)?? there isn't anything truely spectacular about all the extra processing power (which, in the PS3's case, is way too much) except for all the extra processing power.

yeah, the Wii may not be as powerful as the 360 or the PS3, but who cares whenever you can immerse yourself into a game more than ever before outside of virtual reality booths or a visit to the local arcade. gameplay will never be the same, and going back to the 360 or even my own PC is going to feel downright lame after a couple of sessions using the Wii's motion controller since pressing buttons just isn't going to feel quite right anymore.

the Wii is my definative pick for the console that will beat out the others.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #44
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Lol Lucasforums is retarded... why would the 360 have more votes than the PS3? Theres no competition whatsoever! The 360 isn't even next gen!
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #45
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fealiks
why would the 360 have more votes than the PS3? Theres no competition whatsoever! The 360 isn't even next gen!
Says who? I'm certainly not convinced by your outlandish opinion without any basis in fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliks
Lol Lucasforums is retarded...
So you consider yourself retarded?!?! After all you are a member of LucasForums as well.

Look, you're certainly entitled to your opinion on the poll subject but if you would be so kind as to keep your thoughts on the intelligence-level of LucasForums' general membership to yourself I'm sure your fellow LF members would greatly appreciate it. I know I would.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #46
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Fealiks, perhaps when you're a bit older and have to pay the full £475 or so for a PS3 yourself you'll understand.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #47
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ cutmeister: Fealiks is right, after all the PS3 has GIANT ENEMY CRABS and REALTIME WEAPON CHANGE and NO GIMMICKS and the PS3 CONTROLLER WITH SIX DEGREES OF FREEDOM and lets not forget RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAACEEERRRRRRR!!... rock on.

XD

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #48
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Don't forget that you can inflict MASSIVE DAMAGE on the PS3, or is it with the PS3, I can never remember... this thing is a beast.
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #49
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
I guess the PS3, but that f***ing price tag irritates me, I won't be able to buy it.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #50
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
*points @ Pho3nix* Sony has hit your weakspot for massive damage!

Old 07-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #51
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former
*points @ Pho3nix* Sony has hit your weakspot for massive damage!
rofl

Indeed they have. I honestly can't understand what Sony though when they designed the PS3. Sure, most people want the best they can get on the market, it makes them feel special or something I guess. The power of the PS3 is really amazing and it will definately offer a great array of possibilities when it come to graphics ans stuff. However, I cannot understand how they imagined that people, especially younger people, would be willing to pay for this. Never in a million years would I have asked my parents for a $600+ toy, nor would I have been able to afford it myself when I was younger. I honnestly think Sony has lost a big chunk of the younger audience and they're gonna feel it.

I've been playing video games for over 20 years now, of course the firs few years were always full of innovation and new gameplay mechanics. but since the N64 and Playstation era, the new gameplay mechanics ceased to appear and the only innovations were about where to put new buttons on the controller. And then came Revolution, now Wii. With Nintendo brought a new approach to gaming, and innovation to gaming once more. I find this extremely refreshing and I can't wait to try it out. I really hope the Wii succeeds with what it's trying to do, not necesserally for the Wii in particular, but for what it might bring to video games in general. If the Wii fails, then I beleive that never again will a company try to innovate in such a way and we'll be stuch with the same old games...
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2006, 12:29 AM   #52
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
@ cutmeister: Fealiks is right, after all the PS3 has GIANT ENEMY CRABS and REALTIME WEAPON CHANGE and NO GIMMICKS and the PS3 CONTROLLER WITH SIX DEGREES OF FREEDOM and lets not forget RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAACEEERRRRRRR!!... rock on.

XD
Yeah. I guess you're right, Lynk. Microsoft and Nintendo may as well cash in their chips now cuz Sony is all that and a bag of chips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupes
Never in a million years would I have asked my parents for a $600+ toy, nor would I have been able to afford it myself when I was younger. I honnestly think Sony has lost a big chunk of the younger audience and they're gonna feel it.
I dunno, coupes. These kids nowadays, they've got this entitlement attitude. I don't think they have a problem asking their parents to cough up whatever amount of cash they need to get what they want. IMHO the real question is whether or not the parents will actually be willing to fork out that much cash for a PS 3.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:46 AM   #53
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ cutmeister: No parent's won't be willing to fork out that much... the cost of living has been rising recently and a 599USD PS3, an entertainment device... A TOY isn't going to be everyone's first priority. To add to that, people seem to forget aaaaaaaaaaaall about the additional costs of accessories and games. The PS3 is will cost people A LOT more than just 599USD.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 AM   #54
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Or if you're in the UK, $800 for the basic system from launch. ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #55
Sithdisiple666
Rookie

Wii will beat all!!! The PS3 and Xbox 360 are basicly the same thing as their predesessors with a new controller a sleek design and a better graphics card. The Wii may have a weird name but it is going to revolutionize gaming as we know it! An Interactive controller, better graphics and any Nintendo Game can be downloaded on to it for just 99 cents! Also the Wii is going to cost around $150-$200. You can get all that for $200 less than an XBox 360 and $400 less than a PS 3!!!!! It keeps getting better and better. I am personally wishing to god that some star wars games come out for it. Imagine lightsaber action with an interactive controller?!?!?!?

"The Dark Side is strong in me, for I am Sith"- Asajj Ventress Star Wars Clone Wars Volume 1
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side! I must obey my master!"-Darth Vader Episode VI Return of the Jedi
"UNLIMITED POWER!!!"-Darth Sidious Episode III Revenge of the Sith
"Finally we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, At last we will have revenge!"- Darth Maul Episode I the Phantom Menace
"My powers are powers are beyond those of any Jedi"-Darth Tyranus Episode II Attack of the Clones
Sithdisiple666 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2006, 03:54 AM   #56
Smon
Bizarro

Current Game: Payday 2
Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
@ cutmeister: No parent's won't be willing to fork out that much... the cost of living has been rising recently and a 599USD PS3, an entertainment device... A TOY isn't going to be everyone's first priority. To add to that, people seem to forget aaaaaaaaaaaall about the additional costs of accessories and games. The PS3 is will cost people A LOT more than just 599USD.
Especially since PS3 games cost more than most games do...

I'm done putting links in my signature because every time I do it just links to some old crap I've long since stopped updating.
Smon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #57
Arch_Nemesis
Rookie

It doesn't make any difference to me as long as i enjoy playing my games..... and i am much more neutral..i enjoy them all

I hate to debate on which console is the best
Arch_Nemesis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #58
grrrrrrrrrr7
Rookie

well seeing as i dont have any of those consoles, i vote for pedro!!!!!!!
grrrrrrrrrr7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 AM   #59
Great Scott!

Nintendo Wii! Whoo!
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #60
clonetrooper09
Rookie

I think the 360 will overcome the other compettitors. I don't know much about the Wii but for the PS3, the cheapest price will be 600 and the games will be 100. The only things I like for the PS3 is that all the games are in HD and that you can play PS1 and PS2 games. I have a 360 Premium Addition so I am happy.
clonetrooper09 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 02:19 AM   #61
generalvaklu321
Rookie

I love Nintendo and Xbox, but I prefer 360, because KOTOR. Also, I'll still buy the Wii. But come on, it's called the Wii. That name lacks... any marketing value. Wii is translated to: "Miyamoto can't really think of any name right now so this one will do but it doesn't matter because Nintendo has a loyal fan base who will buy it for any reason"

It's a trap!
generalvaklu321 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #62
grrrrrrrrrr7
Rookie

X BOX 360!!!!!!!!
grrrrrrrrrr7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #63
Samurai DD

Heh, after reading this thread I've come to notice a common well, *ahem* thread among most people. We would all rather have an almost equal processing power in exchange for the innovation the Wii provides. What I pray for each night is that the Wii won't be a dissapointment. I'm pretty sure I won't want to end up with overrated and overpriced PS3's or also overrated 360's. If the Wii fails, it's goodbye for Nintendo, but if it indeed is what we have hoped, it's going to be back on the lead for the next century. Although the 360 is pretty attractive because of BioWare and HD, it lacks in a lot of aspects. And PC gaming will never die. And finally, with any luck, Sony will be KO'D pretty soon.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO!!!!!! LONG LIVE THE REVOLUTION!!!!!!
Samurai DD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #64
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai DD
If the Wii fails, it's goodbye for Nintendo
Not really.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #65
Samurai DD

Quote:
Not really.
No, not like: "Wii failed, we're bankrupt", but it would doom Nintendo to Sega's fate, sooner or later.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #66
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Again, no not really.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #67
Samurai DD

Whatever. I'm entitled to my opinion.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #68
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

You are entitled to your opinion, but you're also forgetting to take into account some important facts. First, the Nintendo DS, second Nintendo's strong financial position and the money it has saved in the bank just for such rainy days. Lastly, the fact that Nintendo never makes a product where they would end up taking heavy losses if it were to fail. If Nintendo's home console were to fail like the GameCube, then Nintendo has plenty of other things to keep it standing for another round. It's proven this time and time again.

Also, you can't really compare Sega's fall to what may or may not happen to Nintendo since Sega fell due to very different circumstances. Add to that the fact that Sega had nothing else of real substance but its home console line... Nintendo dropping out of the console race is just as unlikely as Sony or Microsoft dropping out.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #69
Great Scott!

Also don't forget GBA, the top-selling portable console ever.

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #70
generalvaklu321
Rookie

Nintendo wont be finished on consoles, not for my lifetime at least. It built up a loyal group of customers, also, even though it wasn't the best, it was still good. Also, remember the N64, that had COMPLETE dominance, everybody who was anybody had an N64, even Playstation fans had N64's. Also, since Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc will stay on the Nintendo systems, people will get them.

It's a trap!
Old 08-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #71
generalvaklu321
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork
Also don't forget GBA, the top-selling portable console ever.
exactly, psp might come close soon, but GAMEBOY FOREVER

It's a trap!
Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #72
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ generalvaklu321:

1st, don't double post. If you have anything to add and another person hasn't posted under your, then edit the post you've just posted.

2nd, the PS1 outsold the N64.

3rd. just because Nintendo has a lot of franchises doesn't mean it's going to attract a lot of people. There is a large group of people who don't like the franchises Nintendo comes up with.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #73
generalvaklu321
Rookie

Quote:
2nd, the PS1 outsold the N64.
That's true, I checked it. I'll admit, "dominated" would be the wrong word to use. But still, financially, the N64 did amazing, and, although not as much as playstation, sold crazy.

Quote:
3rd. just because Nintendo has a lot of franchises doesn't mean it's going to attract a lot of people. There is a large group of people who don't like the franchises Nintendo comes up with.

About your third point, it's not the amount of franchises that matters, but they have them, and people like them, A LOT. You are right, there is a large group of people who dont like the Nintendo franchises, but there is a larger (or just as big) group that DOES like them. I'm saying that Nintendo has nothing to prove, it has already attracted people.

It's a trap!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:57 PM   #74
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Yeah but think about it, Nintendo has relied heavily on its franchises on its last two consoles (N64 and GCN) and while we've seen some bloody good games from Nintendo lately, it's the third party developers as a whole who attract more developers than Nintendo does alone. This reliance on their own franchises is what is putting NIntendo into third place and something must be done about it. The group is big, but obviously not big enough.

Nintendo does have something to prove, it needs to prove that it can attract all of those third party developers back to them after they had all jumped ship in the N64/PS1 generation.

I'm a very big Nintendo fan, but that's not going to cloud my judgement of what I think Nintendo needs to do to improve itself.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #75
Skylover SC
Lurker

Wii !!
Nintendo for ever!

http://www.SithClan.Net - Staff
http://www.SWenDirect.com - the number one SW radio show
Skylover SC is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #76
generalvaklu321
Rookie

I guess your right, Nintendo does have something to prove. It's already good, but does need improvement, but you can say that for every other developer. The way I think Nintendo can attract other developers and/or customers is to allow more M rated games. Nintendo has some, but it leaves out many chances for a good action game (not saying Nintendo has no action games).

It's a trap!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #77
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

They don't disallow mature rated games. Don't forget that Nintendo has encouraged mature rated games such as Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Eternal Darkness, Reisdent Evil 0 and 4. And at this very moment Nintendo is giving huge amounts of support to Ubisoft as they develop Red Steel.

Nintendo doesn't have to make muture games themselves since they have plenty of other developers to do it for them and it's not like any of their games are lacking just cause it doesn't have "M" stuck on em.

The biggest worry that developers seem to have with Nintendo is that when they develop for a Nintendo system, they have to directly compete with Nintendo to get the gamers attentions since a big part of owning a Nintendo console is playing the Nintendo games on it.

But of course we don't have to worry though since the Wii hasn't launched and already we can see vast improvements on the third party developer front.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:23 AM   #78
generalvaklu321
Rookie

Nintendo has M games. But I'm saying is that they could have more, leaving much more games to sell. Yet again, you could say that about any console. Here's an idea, try to get the rights to have GTA on their console, it worked for the Xbox.

It's a trap!
Old 08-22-2006, 02:51 AM   #79
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

That's upto Rockstar whether they want to develop for a Nintendo system, at the moment Rockstar has no interest in Nintendo at all. Nintendo could throw money at them like Sony, but that's not Nintendo, they'd gladly offer support for their system if Rockstar approached them though.

But so what? Ubisoft has great interest in Nintendo at the moment and is releasing several mature rated titles and then there's Grasshopper who is releasing Heroes for Wii, a very violent title, etc, etc. I think I've already talked about this earlier in the thread lol.

And GTA didn't really work for the Xbox, Halo 2 worked for the Xbox, that's the single greatest title the Xbox had and put it on the map... GTA was pretty much an afterthought.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #80
Nagru
Rookie

What is with people and the Wii!!!!!! While the design is innovative, they are specifically
marketing to NON-GAMERS. Personally if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a gaming console I want it to be for gaming! Anyways I'd have to vote for the 360. The PS3 put itself out of the picture with it's price tag.
Nagru is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > Which console do you most want to succeed?