lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Which console do you most want to succeed?
Microsoft Xbox 360 151 36.65%
Nintendo Wii 171 41.50%
Sony Playstation 3 90 21.84%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Which console do you most want to succeed?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #81
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagru
What is with people and the Wii!!!!!! While the design is innovative, they are specifically
marketing to NON-GAMERS. Personally if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a gaming console I want it to be for gaming! Anyways I'd have to vote for the 360. The PS3 put itself out of the picture with it's price tag.
How is the Wii not for gaming ? o_O

And Nintendo is far from marketing the Wii to non-gamers, where did you get that ? What they are trying to do is to appeal to a larger crowd. Not making games exclusively for 18-30 year old males is far from making games to non-gamers...
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #82
Nagru
Rookie

On gamespot there's a video of an interview with one of nintendo's top dogs, who was displaying the Wii. In it he says, "With the Nintendo Wii we're trying to appeal to the non-gaming crowd"
Nagru is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 10:46 PM   #83
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Thus, meaning they want to attract more people that don't normally play video games, to play the Wii.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 10:55 PM   #84
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Yes, but trying to appeal to the non-gamer crowd doesn't mean letting down the serious gamer crowd. Nintendo is creating a console that will be fun to play, easy to pick up for non-gamers and that will offer plemty of new gameplay mechanics and ideas/conceptd for reguler gamers.
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #85
Nagru
Rookie

As a regular gamer (and I speak for me, my sibling, and most of my friends) while some of their games are cool, it's the new controller that throws it off. You get two dinky little controllers that look like remotes. They have two analog sticks(combined) and a couple of buttons. It offers nowhere near the same kind of control, as it has fewer buttons, and the feel of a first person shooter would be gone as al you have to do is point and click. Where's the challenge?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #86
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Well, have you tried the Wii yet? You don't exactly know if it poses it a challenge or not. There may be games that are made for hardcore gamers and some for those who are new to gaming.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #87
Nagru
Rookie

I concede with a "ya, maybe." Still though, the entire feel of their gaming system is just off somehow. I'm still going to throw my vote to the 360, there's no way I'm gonna give up a tradditional controller for two of those remote things.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #88
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ Nagru: XD Yes, Wii is trying to attract non-gamers just like the DS is, however it will still have plenty of games made for people who are already gamers. I don't know where you got the impression that there won't be any "games" for Wii, but it seems obvious that you haven't actually looked to find out what it has.

On the controls side of things, it is one of those things you really need to actually hold in your hands and play a game with to actually know where Nintendo is coming from, that's the biggest hurdle Nintendo has to face. You don't have to give up the traditional controller, all you need to do is experience a different way of controlling videogames.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #89
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Also, the Wii won't just be coming out with just one controller, but three. Click here.

For more info read Lynk's post below mine XD

Last edited by Commander Obi-Wan; 08-23-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #90
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
To clarify since Obi didn't go into detail XD
  • The first option is the Wiimote + Nunchaku.
  • The second is the GameCube controller which you can use for your GameCube games you want to play on your Wii.
  • The third is the Classic Controller, which is primarily used for Virtual Console games but can be used for GameCube games and selected Wii games if they want to use it.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #91
Nagru
Rookie

Thanks for informing me that the Wii has multiple controllers, that makes me more comfortable with the system. I'm just going to stop arguing as I see it is quite pointless.
I tip my hat to you all.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #92
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

lol, well we understand your opinion, all we did was give you information you seemed to lack. There are a lot of people that will prefer to have audio/visual quality above all else and that's fine with me. And there are people who want to stick with traditional gaming because they like it that way and that's fine too.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #93
topshot
Loves Taffy

I wouldn't get a PS3, even if only for Devil May Cry ! Not with those prices unless there's significant price drop! I'll actually be happy and content with a Wii and what I've got now.....

"My name's not 'Adam We'........or is it????"
topshot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 AM   #94
TheMichal
Rookie

i vote for PS3. I like Sony and belive new console will be most powerful and multi-function. Beside...playing in flight games with new Sony gamepad - whoa! (yes, Wii have more advanced conroller, but i dont want to play on za remote control)

TheMichal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #95
Vegard Aune
Rookie

I say Wii, because of the games. Next to KotOR, I think Ocarina of time was the best game ever, so I am pretty sure the Wii will be great, even though the graphics apparently aren't that much better than the Gamecube.
Vegard Aune is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #96
Valter
Rookie

The Wii is innovative and the Wii controller will revolutionize FPS games. So my vote is for the Wii.

"You will pay the price for your lack of vision!" - Palpatine
Valter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 AM   #97
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Just as long as developers are clever in the way they make their games...

Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #98
Darth NeoVenom
Fallen Jedi Master

Wii is probably going to be successful, followed by X-Box 360. Or it can be the other way around, you never know. PS3 is already in the gutter and it hasn't came out yet. All I hear about the PS3 is BAD news, nothing good. First it was the price, then the shortage in blue ray disk, then the shortage in production of the system themselves, then the cost of games ($70-$100), then the fact that you HAVE to buy a seperate cable to see HD stuff, and then that they are not going to release the system this fall/winter. Idk, but anyone who thinks the PS3 is gonna succeed are fanboys or rich people.

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge." - Darth Maul
Darth NeoVenom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #99
King Dando
Forumite

The Wii, mostly for the innovation. I heard the PS3's release date has been put back until next March or something, I don't care that much, I never had that much faith in it in the first place

King Dando is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #100
Lord Foley

Wii. It has an innovative play style, a cheap price, and all of the nintendo exclusive games.

Xbox 360 is simply terrible.

PS3 is OK, but its too expensive. It looks decent enough, but the price kills it. It does not have enough innovation or technological advances over the others to be worth triple the wii.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #101
TheMichal
Rookie

but You must realize (you are doomed ) that PS3 can be a BD player too and if You want to buy BD player the cost can cross 1000$

but the HDMI cable as additional accessories is stupid idea - 60% power of the console will go out by quality loss via chinche...

TheMichal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #102
kernan
Lurker

360, best price for the largest amount of games. plus if you want to mod then you don't have to buy a blu ray burner
kernan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #103
peachy1987
Lurker

definately the wii. already pre-ordered mine!

bring back monkey island 5
peachy1987 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #104
MasterChief117
Rookie

the Wii shall rule all, screw micro

do you guys think that they will have battle front 2 for the Wii

I WIN, I ALWAYS WIN
FOA creator, rank: SGC lead strategist and scientist

SGW comes out in 5 more months

"come frak me toster"

MasterChief117 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2006, 05:17 AM   #105
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117
do you guys think that they will have battle front 2 for the Wii
No. Mainly due to the fact that it was not made for gamecube and it's already been out for a year.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #106
DarthWengle
Rookie

The Wii is going to change the world. Not just gaming. THE WORLD.

Darth Wengle: Leader of the Warrior Army, defender of the Hunter legion, President of the Warrior Council & stuff...
DarthWengle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #107
The Sith'ari

I sorta think that both Wii and xbox 360 are going to succeed. The two don't necessarily have to compete against each other, coz in my opinion they seem to target at different market segments- those who enjoy a new way of gaming and those who prioritise the audio and visual experience. The two consoles have very different advantages that will attract different audience. Personally I like both. But because of the fact that PC can be a close substitute to 360, with modding capabilities despite the need for upgrades, if I was ever to buy a console perhaps I'd try Wii. Without PC in consideration, 360 would be my choice- graphics is still the most important criterion for me.

While I see some of us here said that only the Wii is a next-gen console, because of its innovative gaming capabilities, I do not quite agree. No one said that a next-gen console has to offer a completely new way of gaming. The fact that the graphical abilities of xbox 360 and ps3 has evolved greatly compared to the current-generation machines could qualify them as next-gen. What I'm getting at is that there isn't a real definition for "next gen" gaming consoles, thus one shouldn't rely on it to decide which to buy. Ultimately, it should be the customer's own needs that are the deciding factors.
The Sith'ari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #108
thegreatjoshini
Rookie

Current Game: Legend of Legaia (PSX)
I say PS3 will win because of the sheer number of features it has. I'm pretty sure you can't surf the web on the X-Box 360. The Wii will have crap graphics compared to the X-Box 360 and the PS3. The Wii's controller is the stupidest idea in video game history. Face it Nintendroids, the Wii is gonna tank just like the N64 and Gamecube. And for you X-Box lovers out there, all the best X-Box 360 games will also be available on a PC near you, so why should I waste my money on that? In short, PS3 PWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am the hope of the Universe!
I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace.
I am protector of the innocent.
I am the light in darkness.
I am truth
ALLY TO GOOD!!! NIGHTMARE TO YOU!!!
- Super Saiyan Goku
thegreatjoshini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #109
thegreatjoshini
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley
Wii. It has an innovative play style, a cheap price, and all of the nintendo exclusive games.

Xbox 360 is simply terrible.

PS3 is OK, but its too expensive. It looks decent enough, but the price kills it. It does not have enough innovation or technological advances over the others to be worth triple the wii.
[/sarcasm]Yes the Wii's graphics are just as good as the PS3's [/end sarcasm]

I am truth
- Super Saiyan Goku
Old 12-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #110
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatjoshini
I say PS3 will win because of the sheer number of features it has.
Forgot about the price? I don't think you know how many features the Wii has. And I would know, do to the fact that I have one.

Quote:
The Wii will have crap graphics compared to the X-Box 360 and the PS3.
The graphics are not that bad actually. Maybe compared to the PS3 and XBOX 360. But, they are not that bad once you actually play it.

Quote:
The Wii's controller is the stupidest idea in video game history.
I disagree. And clearly a whole bunch of other people disagree too. The idea is innovative, and it's great to use.

And why waste your money on a PS3? There is nothing like being able to make burgers or cook meat on your PS3 and double your powerbill in the process. But, hey, suit yourself.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #111
thegreatjoshini
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Obi-Wan
Forgot about the price? I don't think you know how many features the Wii has. And I would know, do to the fact that I have one.

The graphics are not that bad actually. Maybe compared to the PS3 and XBOX 360. But, they are not that bad once you actually play it.

I disagree. And clearly a whole bunch of other people disagree too. The idea is innovative, and it's great to use.

And why waste your money on a PS3? There is nothing like being able to make burgers or cook meat on your PS3 and double your powerbill in the process. But, hey, suit yourself.
PS3 Features: Blue Ray Movies, DVD Movies, MP3 Playback, Ability to connect numerous devices (such as PSP, I-Pod, headset for online multiplayer, and many more items), Burning capabilities, Internet Browser, Photo Viewer, Hard Drive for storing movies and games you download from the Playstation Network, Wireless 6-Axis Controller, and quite a few more I can't think up off the top of my head.

Wii Features: Internet Browser, Photo Viewer, Innovative Controllers (I'll give you that one), Hard drive for storing virtual console games (unless I'm mistaken, and I'm not, you would need one to store those games).

So far by my count it looks like the PS3 is in the lead 9-4 in number of features. And no your precious Wii can't play DVD's.

I think the $600 price tag is more than worth it. Especially considering $600 is way under priced with normal Blue Ray players costing atleast $1000 or more.

You also are clearly not sane if you think Twilight Princess's graphics are even half as good as the graphics for MGS 4.

And just so you know, your powerbill won't go up just because you use a PS3. It doesn't consume any more electricity than the PS2. None of the consoles take up any more electricity than each other. It doesn't take very much to power a console. It would only consume an enormous amount of electricity if you left it on all the time. Of course, you would blow up your PS3 if you did that. Noone is stupid enough to do that and therefore that point is moot.

I am truth
- Super Saiyan Goku
Old 12-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #112
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
So far by my count it looks like the PS3 is in the lead 9-4 in number of features. And no your precious Wii can't play DVD's.
So? Everybody has a DVD player nowadays, so what's the need for one?

Quote:
You also are clearly not sane if you think Twilight Princess's graphics are even half as good as the graphics for MGS 4.
Well, they are need bad either. And some of the other games graphics are great too. And really, it's all about the gameplay. And the gameplay for the games on Wii are great.

Quote:
And just so you know, your powerbill won't go up just because you use a PS3. It doesn't consume any more electricity than the PS2. None of the consoles take up any more electricity than each other. It doesn't take very much to power a console. It would only consume an enormous amount of electricity if you left it on all the time. Of course, you would blow up your PS3 if you did that. Noone is stupid enough to do that and therefore that point is moot.
Clearly you haven't read some the articles and reports on the PS3. It's consume double the power and heat of the Xbox 360.

Maybe if the PS3 was cheaper, it would be worth it, but I'll pass.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #113
ZeroXcape
Another Grim Jedi

LFN Staff Member 
i got the wii, it's awesome. no one can beat me at tennis, bowling, or madden. has anyone tried red steel yet? i hear good and bad.

rumors have it that ps3 will be the last sony console, but it looks awesome. too bad it needs to be $400 cheaper.

ZeroXcape

"Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!"
ZeroXcape is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2006, 04:44 AM   #114
Terra
Rookie

I would just like to say I voted for PS3 for the following reasons:
Value for money: Yeah, most peoples arguments are that it is too expensive... BUT IT HAS BLU-RAY!1one. Blu-ray players are marketed as $1400 upwards as standalone packages last time i checked, yet the PS3 comes with one along with 200 gig discs, the only console with true HDMI and the highest resolution. The PS3 also has, IMO the best line-up of games, and will last the longest out of all the consoles.
Also, i see the Wii as more of a gadget which would get old really quickly... And i hate microsoft (ironic really since i use windows...)

Terra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #115
Daft Adidas
Full of Lies

Quote:
i got the wii, it's awesome. no one can beat me at tennis, bowling, or madden. has anyone tried red steel yet? i hear good and bad.

rumors have it that ps3 will be the last sony console, but it looks awesome. too bad it needs to be $400 cheaper.
Ur right, it does need to be cheaper, Alot cheaper i hate XBOX coz they make u pay load of money for Online play + games are always realeased on 360 before any other console usually = wii looks cool and so does red steel

Daft Adidas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #116
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
360 for a few reasons:
-I already own a normal xbox and I love it
-Best/most realistic graphics
-Looks good
-Controllers feel good when your holding them
-I don't want a PS3 'cause most of the games for it are cartoony.
-I don't want a wii because, well, I can't come up with anything. I just don't want it.

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #117
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXcape
has anyone tried red steel yet? i hear good and bad.
I have it. It's meh. Like the "gunplay" for it is great. But the graphics are really buggy and the sword play is abysmal. And the game feels really different from most FPSs. Almost like a Saw-type of game at some points.

How's Madden?

Quote:
-Best/most realistic graphics
-I don't want a PS3 'cause most of the games for it are cartoony.
I find the graphics for the PS3 better than the XBOX 360. I also think the graphics for the PS3 are not really cartoony at all. That's what I see at least.

Though, the XBOX 360 has some sick games like Gears of War and Halo 3.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #118
Johnpp

I want X-box to suceed but I figure I want them all to suceed.Not that I'll ever get one ;p

Opera user.
IE hater.
JKA player.
DooM player.
Quake 2 player.
Real life player.
Johnpp is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 AM   #119
CSI
Aa! Megami-sama!

Current Game: Frozen Throne
Helpful! 
X-Box perhaps...

| Muunilinst 10 | Real Life | Exiled Jedi Weapon Master | Ex-Sith Marauder | Gunslinger |
Killed in a suicide attempt of ramming his own ship, Ravager, onto the surface of Telos IV. --Casualty Report: Order 66
CSI is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #120
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Looks like the Wii is getting harder to find than the PS3.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5283
Quote:
So what happened? We were all expecting the insane PlayStation 3 demand to drive our country into anarchy for the rest of the entire year (which it did on day one). Nintendo completely stole Sony’s thunder, and then some – that’s what happened.
My opinion: I wish consoles would vanish and stop distracting from PC game development.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > Which console do you most want to succeed?