lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Movie?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Nick Virago

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Nick_Virago; 09-26-2006 at 02:37 PM. Reason: annoying PMs, I've had it!
Nick Virago is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
SteveBB
Rookie

Tim burton recently brought out a movie called Corpse Bride which had skeletons as main characters and is also the director of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" which also featured skeletons. But other than that I haven't heard anything about it
SteveBB is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
Any idea where you heard this?

itchythesamurai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
IMDB knows nothing of it and googling doesn't provide any useful info either. It's probably just speculation since people have been talking about Grim and Tim together for years.

By the way, you've got a great username and avatar. I take it we have a third Nick fanatic on board?

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
pure1224
Lurker

But has anybody taken all the cutscenes from the game and made a movie out of it
pure1224 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 05:21 AM   #6
Shuz

It wouldn't make much sense would it, much of the story occurs in the normal game mode
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 05:48 AM   #7
Grim_comician

There is a movie series called "Day off the dead", that humourously is based on eight underworld in GF's concept. There is a demo movie of it, linked from one of Grim Fandango's fan sites.

Manny: Hah! "Bust-all", my ass!
Grim_comician is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
I say, I say
Rookie

Tim Burton is known for doing film noir and also slightly twisted films; he has covered the aspects of death in both The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride, he could probably do Grim Fandango very well I'd bet.

"Oh Manny, so cynical, what happened to you Manny, that caused you to lose your sense of hope, your love of life?"
"I died"

There's a Lift Underground

A Lift Underground- A Grim Fandango Appreciation Site
I say, I say is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
Scorpicus
Rookie

Location: Wallowing in mud... or chocolate. I can't tell... no, wait. Thats mud.
If he did do Grim Fandango, he probably would heavily adapt it so we couldn't even recognize it as Grim Fandango.

Hey, Nick Virago fanatic number three! I see you've met Nick Virago fanatic number one. So allow me to introduce you to Nick Virago fanatic number two:me.
Scorpicus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Nick Virago

movie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Nick_Virago; 09-26-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Nick Virago is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #11
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
Wow, that's a great find... if it goes ahead it may give Grim Fandango sales the boost they deserve

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
SteveBB
Rookie

If this is true this should really give a boost to the community
SteveBB is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
I REALLY hope that is true, but I'm going to remain sceptic until something official is announced. Anyone can create Wikipedia articles.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Old 07-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
Smon
Bizarro

Current Game: Mega Man
Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I hope that happens... though it doesn't look like we'll see it for a while, considering he's working on another project set for release for 2007.

I'm done putting links in my signature because every time I do it just links to some old crap I've long since stopped updating.
Smon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #15
swediot=)
The Prince of Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNaomi
I REALLY hope that is true, but I'm going to remain sceptic until something official is announced. Anyone can create Wikipedia articles.
which is why i don't think this is true

hur hurr
swediot=) is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #16
Smon
Bizarro

I don't know... the Movie Center thing with quotes from Burton seems real enough...

I'm done putting links in my signature because every time I do it just links to some old crap I've long since stopped updating.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
Well I don't think it'd be too different if they are keeping the name Grim Fandango and the same setting. Could easily become the best video game movie ever though. Maybe even lead to a rerelease of the game? Special edition? Nah, not getting my hopes up just yet.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:29 AM   #18
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
Oh, silly me. I didn't even notice the Movie Center article. That makes it seem a lot more credible, but it's still not certain.

I don't know Burton very well, but I heard he has the habit of changing the source material to fit his vision. If he were to make this movie, what changes do you think he may make?

Also, I wonder if he's planning to make it stop-motion, computer animated or what. Maybe live action?

EDIT: If the movie is going to be made (notice how sceptic I still am), I hope Burton plays the game and not just reads the script. I heard he made Batman without having read any of the comics.

Imagine what a movie would do to our community. Numerous people would go see the film because it was made by Burton, there'd be thousands of new fans, LucasArts would probably re-release the game in some sort of special edition style, they might even start considering a sequel if it was a success.

And then we could start being elitist "You aren't a true fan if you've only seen the movie!" bitches to everyone who stumbles upon these forums.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:35 AM   #19
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
It would be awesome if he consulted the other great Tim and got him involved. (Schafer for those not in the know.)

Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 AM   #20
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
Definitely. Maybe I'm being an idiot, but I can't get rid of the mental image of Burton getting rid of the film noir and replacing it with gothic horror. Am I stereotyping him too much? Schafer could keep him under control.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 AM   #21
Smon
Bizarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNaomi
Definitely. Maybe I'm being an idiot, but I can't get rid of the mental image of Burton getting rid of the film noir and replacing it with gothic horror. Am I stereotyping him too much? Schafer could keep him under control.
Maybe, but he'll probably stick to the source material for the character design, but will twist and exaggerate the backgrounds, still, I hope it comes out.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:02 AM   #22
Shuz

If a movie is going to be made I hope it is either A: a perfect screen adaptation of Grim Fandango with all the bits we love or B: something loosely based on the GF concept that is different enough to be considered separate from the game universe. I would hate to have something which tries to be A but ends up being B. Sort of like how Curse of Monkey Island tried to continue the Monkey Island series but is not considered to be a 'real' part of the series.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #23
Smon
Bizarro

I hope they stick to the game, but cut out the puzzle bits, fun to play, probably not fun to watch.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #24
I say, I say
Rookie

I had a look at the source of this article, the blog from Movie Center; it doesn't look entirely reliable. It would be great to have a Grim Fandango film but I don't think it looks hopeful. Could be wrong though...

"Oh Manny, so cynical, what happened to you Manny, that caused you to lose your sense of hope, your love of life?"
"I died"

There's a Lift Underground

A Lift Underground- A Grim Fandango Appreciation Site
I say, I say is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2006, 02:18 AM   #25
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
I agree. Speculating is fun, but it's no use getting too excited before there is any real proof. We'll only end up really disappointed. Burton's quote says that the script was sent to him. By who? LucasArts? Ahaha.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:58 AM   #26
Scorpicus
Rookie

Location: Wallowing in mud... or chocolate. I can't tell... no, wait. Thats mud.
You know, if I had pick of the directors I would choose the coen brothers to direct it. Millers crossing and all that.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #27
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Hm...I still doubt that the wiki article is genuine. I mean sure it's possible, but as Naomi said: "anyone can create wikipedia articles." But it would be splendid if there was a movie, so I hope it is true!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #28
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
Would Burton have to buy the rights for Grim Fandango off LucasArts or how would that work?

Last edited by itchythesamurai; 07-12-2006 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Muddled up my prepositions
Old 07-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #29
Smon
Bizarro

He might, but LA could also see this as a business investment and just let him have it.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 AM   #30
Celestyn
Lurker

I really hope this is true. I saw the same story on gamespot.
Celestyn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2006, 03:59 AM   #31
Smon
Bizarro

Sounds much more credible, link plz?

Edit: I checked it out here, sadly they're also using The Movie Center as a source.

Double Edit: This site has his address, it may be outdated but it's worth a shot.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #32
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
No way, Denzel Washington as Master Chief?! Well, Burton's agent and LucasArts can't stay silent forever. (God have mercy on us if they can.)

Old 07-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #33
B.A.T.
Rookie

Oh come on, i think this is just another rumor if burton does this movie i bet it will suck!!! think about it most comics that go movies usually are severly changed (spiderman 1 the green goblin wasnt suppose to die he just had this huge accident or sumthin and got minor amnesia) plus if they are going to do it, it better be computer animated becuz if they did live action it wud be a big upset! well if its computer animated they shud get the original vocal cast (Tony planna and such) but u never know
B.A.T. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #34
Scorpicus
Rookie

Actually, I wouldn't mind if it was live action. But I think plastacine would be the best way to go. And Burtons movies definately do not suck! You seen sleepy hollow, edward scissor hands and batman? All excellent movies! And thats the thing about taking games and comic books and making them into a movie. You have to ADAPT them.

Look at the first Harry Potter movie. That was practically identical to the book down to the last detail. The result? It was an alright film, nothing special. The fourth movie, however, was changed ALOT from the book. And the result? A damn good film!

And those comic book films (apart from the incredible Hulk which does suck). Yes, they have all been heavily adapted from the original material but the results were brilliant! And tonnes of new fans! And a new lease of life for the comic *coughs* or Grim Fandango *cough*
Old 07-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #35
Yohein
Rookie

I hope, if this rumour is true, they'll keep all the voice actors from the game.
Yohein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #36
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohein
I hope, if this rumour is true, they'll keep all the voice actors from the game.
Good point. It would never be the same Manny without Tony Plana's voice! (Unless they're using completely different characters, then it won't really matter)

Last edited by James Isaac; 07-14-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #37
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
Velasco's voice actor is dead, so they'd have to replace at least him. Or they could take a few lines from the game because I doubt they'd give that character much attention in the film. There's just not enough time to go to such depth in a movie.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #38
Smon
Bizarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.T.
Oh come on, i think this is just another rumor if burton does this movie i bet it will suck!!! think about it most comics that go movies usually are severly changed (spiderman 1 the green goblin wasnt suppose to die he just had this huge accident or sumthin and got minor amnesia) plus if they are going to do it, it better be computer animated becuz if they did live action it wud be a big upset! well if its computer animated they shud get the original vocal cast (Tony planna and such) but u never know
Actually Burton sticks pretty heavily to the source material. Just look at the Batman movies, the only times they ever ****ed it up was the nipple suit and that Harvey Dent was played by a black man in one of the movies and a white man in Batman Forever. But other than that they stick to the story/continuity pretty well.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #39
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
I just realised something! You may remember, back in February at the Department of Death we recieved an email about a Grim Fandango 2 project. Here is the first part again if you've not seen it before:

Quote:
A good friend and computer animation colleague of mine who recently began working for the LucasArts studio in Singapore informs me that they're involved in a Grim Fandango sequel project, albeit in the development phase. Tim Schafer is apparently developing a story, and a team is putting together the project for a 'pitch' of sorts to LucasArts management. The only downside is apparently this pitch will be up against another project and only one will be put into production. Let's cross our fingers for GF2!!

This inside info is of course unofficial and best kept anonymous, but my own personal enthusiasm for the game encouraged me to share my excitement for a sequel with your GF community!
When it happened everyone was pretty skeptical about it so I asked Jake about it and he told me this:

Quote:
Jake says:
i have no clue if its true

Jake says:
i really doubt it

Jake says:
unless its an animation project not a games project

Jake says:
lucasfilm has attempted animated films before, like the monkey island movie that was in production at ILM before they shut down their feature film animation department in the late 90s

Jake says:
the concept art for it has slowly been leaking out of that one artists site

Jake says:
i know there was also some preproduction done on an animated sam and max film but it got canned at the same time as the MI movie

Jake says:
neither of those got past concept art
...Could this mean that the team I was informed about were infact working on a Grim Fandango pitch to send to Tim Burton? :O

Last edited by James Isaac; 07-14-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #40
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Rumor mills are so much fun...so much to talk about with so little credible information!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Land of the Dead > Movie?