lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: How do you write your fics?
Off the top of your head 2 20.00%
Microsoft Word, Apple Works or others 8 80.00%
Other methods 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: How do you write your chapters?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Master Jimmy
Forumite

How do you write your chapters?

I write mine right off the top of my head, but some of you must use microsoft word or other document processing program, or other ways. How do you write your fics?

Led Zeppelin + The Beatles = Gods

New fanfic Metroid/Star Wars Crossover: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=183539 Chapter four is up.
Master Jimmy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
i use word so that i can save the chapters onto my hard disk just in case and i use the spell checker too.

Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I type the entire fic in word. When it's completely finished and I'm at least half satisfied I start posting, but before I post each chapter I reread it and check for grammar/spelling errors and even storyline and character inconsistencies, I fix them and then post the chapter.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I type all my Fics in Word. When I first started, I used to type everything in the Reply Thread, but then they were short, so Word was the best choice. Also Methaod is spelt Method.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I use Word. The spell checker does a good job of finding my spelling errors and typos, but I usually ignore the grammar check. I let it run in case there's some major weird grammar goof, but otherwise I click the 'ignore rule' button more often than not. It's also easier for me to read black-on-white and I can make the font size larger with ease so it's comfortable for me to read.
Doing it on Word means I have a copy on my hard drive as well as on the site (because you never know when a site will go down.)
I can print out each chapter to look at it for edits if I'm away from my computer. I usually have the latest chapter I'm revising in my purse so that if I'm waiting in a doctor's office or in my car for my kids to get out of school, I have something to do.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
I type all my fics in Word and save them on my handy dandy flash drive. As to the creation of the chapters I usually have a general story line in my mind and I take the ball and run with it with an occasionally RPing to get the situation right. Word is useful for the grammar and spell check but it doesn't recognize all words so make sure you know you have the right spelling.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Yup, Word. Pretty easy.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'm kind of old fashioned in that I carry a couple of notebooks with me and do my writing on paper, and then transfer it to the computer using word.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
I type all my fics in Word and save them on my handy dandy flash drive. As to the creation of the chapters I usually have a general story line in my mind and I take the ball and run with it with an occasionally RPing to get the situation right. Word is useful for the grammar and spell check but it doesn't recognize all words so make sure you know you have the right spelling.
Same here go FD

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
I type the chapters up in WordPerfect, use the spell- and grammar-check, then read it over just to make sure nothing was missed. Then I send it on over to Hall to be edited one final time (haven't done this in a while... my bad, Hall. ) before posting it.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
RaV™
I Came I Saw I Conquered

I use word, though I do use improv along the way. Yes I haven't posted a fanfic before, but soon enough there will be a fanfic..

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6469/ssigvv2.gif
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
RaV™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #12
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I write improv fics. Sometimes my facts may not be 100% straight, but I do.
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Coruscant Entertainment Centre > How do you write your chapters?