lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Was Dooku Yoda's Apprentice?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-10-2004, 01:29 AM   #1
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Location: The good end of Ray's Gun, or the bad end of an AA gun
Was Dooku Yoda's Apprentice?

In AOTC, Yoda refers to Dooku as "My old padawan". Did he just mean this because he was a student at the temple, or did he take him on as an apprentice?
Shok_Tinoktin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2004, 04:28 AM   #2
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
I believe (Read: It was inferred in EP2);

Dooku was Yoda's apprentice... like Qui-gon was Dooku's... and Obi-Wan was Qui-Gon's... and Aniken was Obi-Wan's. Hmm... with that Jedi lineage no wonder Aniken was doomed!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2004, 03:19 AM   #3
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

that was my assumption as well. However, when discussing it with other people, it didnt seem to be so clear. I hope he was though, so if I get no better answer, im sticking to that.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Lieutenant_kettch
Forumite

i have to agree with redhawke on this, it does seem more logical and present that he was actually yodas apprentice.
The only way anakin was doomed though is that he was not smart in his sith ways, he could have been unstoppable, *sigh*, stupid people and the consciences
Lieutenant_kettch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

I have just seen in the Dark Horse comic Jedi:Yoda, that Dooku is was in fact, Yoda's apprentice. That's proof enough for me.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
Lieutenant_kettch
Forumite

is that an official item, or is it similar to the GODV hexology(ehh?)
Lieutenant_kettch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #7
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

The GODV hexology was before the idea of all the EU working together and being a single continuous story. The comic came out in June or July. When it comes to EU, the comic is about as official as most anything else (although it is not too late for GL to change that in ROTS). As far as I'm concerned, it is more than conjecture, and has in some way or another been approved by Lucas, I am satisfied to accept it as fact.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:48 PM   #8
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

I had never questioned Dooku's Padawanship by Yoda. I had always taken it as foreshadowing that a Jedi could fall to the Dark Side, even one that was trained by the master of masters, Yoda. Maybe George through that in so Obi-Wan wouldn't feel so bad about Anakin turning to the Dark side.

Go big or go home.
Nairb Notneb is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2004, 08:39 AM   #9
RebelScum!
Forumite

WHat about mace? lol did he teach himself?

Join the BBF

SWbattlefront name:RebelScum!
Check out my Site
RebelScum! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #10
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

Mace learned on the internet through the Jedi Distance Learning Center Academy.

Go big or go home.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #11
adillon

technically, i think everyone is yoda's padawan at one point or another, if taking the viewpoint that yoda is the only jedi we see teaching the younglings. however, i don't think dooku was that young when he joined the jedi order, so i believe that yoda was his master, much in the same way that qui-gon was obi-wan's.
adillon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2004, 02:17 PM   #12
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

Quote:
Originally posted by adillon
technically, i think everyone is yoda's padawan at one point or another, if taking the viewpoint that yoda is the only jedi we see teaching the younglings. however, i don't think dooku was that young when he joined the jedi order, so i believe that yoda was his master, much in the same way that qui-gon was obi-wan's.
Why don't you think Dooku was that young when he joined?

Go big or go home.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:19 PM   #13
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
I have just seen in the Dark Horse comic Jedi:Yoda, that Dooku is was in fact, Yoda's apprentice. That's proof enough for me.
I looked at it again, and this is not true. I was just skimming the comic and I put some stuff together very innacurately.

Quote:
That is why I asked if he was his apprentice. He could have been just a padawan at the temple.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:48 AM   #14
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

Now that I think about it, it is a valid question because Obi-Wans ghost told Luke that Yoda was the Jedi Master that "instructed" him. In Yoda's hovel when Luke first meets Yoda, Obi says to Yoda, "was I any different when you first taught me?" Maybe when Yoda was trying to put Dooku in his place before the fight, sort of like saying "I remember when I changed your diapers". Saying that doesn't mean that you were some bodies parents, it just means that you babysat the person possibly when you were a kid, or something. I mean we all know for a fact that Obi's Master was Qui-Gon, but he says that Yoda was his instructor, which from AOTC, Yoda teaches all younglings at some time.

Go big or go home.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #15
adillon

Quote:
Originally posted by Nairb Notneb
Why don't you think Dooku was that young when he joined?
i didn't think so because of his title as count. i thought that when one joined the jedi order, all contact with one's family was cut-off. but the starwars.com databank states:
Quote:
Dooku had studied the ways of the Force for almost eight decades, becoming one of its most powerful practitioners, though his ultimate loyalty was not to the structured protocols of the Jedi order, but rather to his own intuitions and ideals. His strong sense of independence concerned many, and even his mentor, Yoda, had difficulty reining him in.
i thought i had read somewhere that the influence and riches of dooku's family had helped to finance the separatists movement, which seemed contradictory to what the databank states. maybe when dooku left the order he inherited what was his. i dunno ...
adillon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2004, 02:06 PM   #16
Hannibal

Current Game: Black Ops/Biosock
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:

i thought i had read somewhere that the influence and riches of dooku's family had helped to finance the separatists movement, which seemed contradictory to what the databank states. maybe when dooku left the order he inherited what was his. i dunno ...
Dooku (Palpatine actually) used the trade federation and the banking clans to finance the Seperatists. They had money but no armies. He hooked them up with the Geonosians to create the separtist movement.

Hannibal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2004, 09:14 AM   #17
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Eight decades = 80 years. Christopher Lee was nearly 80 years old when he played the part of Count Dooku in the movie.

So if his character's age is about 80, then that means he was VERY YOUNG when he joined the Order, probably an infant or toddler like the other Jedi are supposedly when they join.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #18
Commander Dorn9
Lurker

A noble clone trooper

Count Dooku was trained by Yoda. Yoda even gives hints that he taught Count Dooku in the jedi arts. Qui Gon was taught by Count Dooku in the jedi arts but most other jedi that became experienced were taught by Master Yoda.
Commander Dorn9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #19
SirLancelot

Yoda has trained Jedi for well over 700 years. May generations of Jedi have been his students.

Darasuum Kote (Mandalorian for Eternal Glory)
-Motto of the Clone Army

http://www.imperialcommandos.com/main.htm
http://www.clonetroopers.net/
SirLancelot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #20
T10
Rookie

He got the title of count becuase he was the leader of the Seperatists. It was nothing personal, just the political title of their leader. Technically, GG should've become Count Grevious, but nevermind.

INSERT_USELESS_INFORMATION_HERE>
T10 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #21
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by T10
He got the title of count becuase he was the leader of the Seperatists. It was nothing personal, just the political title of their leader. Technically, GG should've become Count Grevious, but nevermind.
Actually, he got the title of count when he inherited his estate on Serenno.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #22
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shok_Tinoktin
In AOTC, Yoda refers to Dooku as "My old padawan". Did he just mean this because he was a student at the temple, or did he take him on as an apprentice?
Dooku was Yodas apprentice, thats what a Padawan is. Students at the temple are Younglings until they are 13 and then they are chosen by a Jedi Knight to be their Padawan.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 AM   #23
Kurgan
Headhunter

If we assume that Yoda isn't just referring to every single "youngling" (which he also refers to as "Padawan" in other instances in both AOTC and ROTS) as his Padawan (Ie: that Dooku was just another of many kids he taught), I wonder...

Who is Yoda's Padawan supposed to be in TPM... in AOTC... in ROTS?

Or does every Jedi Knight/Master need to take a Padawan?

How many Padawans are there? How many little ones does Yoda have to train? (the 8-12 we see in the movies only?)

There's canonically about 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy in the Prequel Era, but I still don't know if that only includes Knight level or above, or also these wannabe trainees.

Do their small numbers mean every Knight has to have a Padawan, or not?

Obi-Wan doesn't seem to have one after Anakin. Mace Windu doesn't seem to have one, etc. Or do they get time off between students?

I can understand them giving classes and whatnot, but the relationship between Qui Gon/Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan/Anakin implies to us that they hang around each other all the time and go on missions together, etc.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #24
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
According to EU sources, a Jedi does not have to take a padawan, and the rank of master can be achieved without taking one if the Council feels the individual's accomplishments and abilities warrant it. I believe the original Jorus C'baoth was an example of this.

And in ROTS Kenobi implies that the Council would some day soon make Anakin a master (and thus it isn't too important that he isn't made one upon his Council appointment), which would indicate that taking a padawan wasn't technically required. But this would seem to be the exceptional cases. The traditional path is to train a padawan to knighthood.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #25
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, there is no saying anywhere that training a Padawan is required before being a Master.

That, and Master does not equal member of the council. A number of Masters are not council member.

Some Masters are quite choicey when it comes to taking a Padawan, while some are less anale about it. Younglings aren't attach to anyone. They are just kids waiting to be chosen as padawan. Oh, and they sizzle well against a red lightsaber.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2005, 02:22 PM   #26
Brottor
Rookie

I agree with this train of thought. I always thought taking a Padawan was a choice. Masters pretty much do what they like as long as its good by the council. I have a feeling that the 10000 number includes all padawan as well though. Maybe because I always feel that most normal people dont know the difference between master and padawan.
Brottor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2005, 02:41 PM   #27
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
According to EU sources, a Jedi does not have to take a padawan, and the rank of master can be achieved without taking one if the Council feels the individual's accomplishments and abilities warrant it. I believe the original Jorus C'baoth was an example of this.
That's cool, but remember C'Boath was created long before we knew anything about the prequels, so he could be retconned. Remember, he was supposed to be a member of the Jedi Council, and we never saw him in all three movies. Though we never saw Sifo Dyias either (Lama Su thought he was a prominent member of the Jedi Council 10 years before AOTC).

Quote:
And in ROTS Kenobi implies that the Council would some day soon make Anakin a master (and thus it isn't too important that he isn't made one upon his Council appointment), which would indicate that taking a padawan wasn't technically required. But this would seem to be the exceptional cases. The traditional path is to train a padawan to knighthood.
Right, well the term "master" implies you have someone under you (what are you "master of" after all? unless it's like a degree, like Bachelor of the Force, Master of the Force, Doctor of the Force, etc). But then it's a bit confusing, because suddenly in ROTS it's also a "Rank" for members of the Jedi Council (Anakin being the exception), plus people call you "Master Jedi" out of respect, regardless of rank (except Padawans I guess).

You're a Padawan, then a Jedi (Knight), and then maybe you could be a Master. Was Qui Gon a Master (the rank apparently didn't exist in the movies yet, but I mean now that we have ROTS)?

There are very few Jedi, and consequently somebody has to train them. I agree, not all Jedi will achieve the rank of Master probably, but Yoda can't train everyone (at least not forever).

Old 12-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #28
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
That's cool, but remember C'Boath was created long before we knew anything about the prequels, so he could be retconned.
However, his bio in the Power of the Jedi sourcebook indicates that he had no padawan, and that was written after AOTC. I don't think there was any mention of that fact in the Thrawn trilogy.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:39 PM   #29
hk47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
I believe (Read: It was inferred in EP2);

Dooku was Yoda's apprentice... like Qui-gon was Dooku's... and Obi-Wan was Qui-Gon's... and Aniken was Obi-Wan's.
i wonder who was yodas master...
hk47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #30
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Theres undoubtedly an EU answer to that.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 01-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #31
Darth_Death
Rookie

Location: Under the watchfull eye of 2 evil dictators named MOM and DAD...
knowing that dooku trained Grevous in the jedi arts i wonder how Grevous got started?

"bring me that horizon..."
Darth_Death is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #32
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Death
knowing that dooku trained Grevous in the jedi arts i wonder how Grevous got started?
What?

- Halo_92

Old 02-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #33
arkodeon
Rookie

Quote:
That's cool, but remember C'Boath was created long before we knew anything about the prequels, so he could be retconned. Remember, he was supposed to be a member of the Jedi Council, and we never saw him in all three movies. Though we never saw Sifo Dyias either (Lama Su thought he was a prominent member of the Jedi Council 10 years before AOTC).

Right, well the term "master" implies you have someone under you (what are you "master of" after all? unless it's like a degree, like Bachelor of the Force, Master of the Force, Doctor of the Force, etc). But then it's a bit confusing, because suddenly in ROTS it's also a "Rank" for members of the Jedi Council (Anakin being the exception), plus people call you "Master Jedi" out of respect, regardless of rank (except Padawans I guess).

You're a Padawan, then a Jedi (Knight), and then maybe you could be a Master. Was Qui Gon a Master (the rank apparently didn't exist in the movies yet, but I mean now that we have ROTS)?

There are very few Jedi, and consequently somebody has to train them. I agree, not all Jedi will achieve the rank of Master probably, but Yoda can't train everyone (at least not forever).
Wow, that's incredibly confusing.

Masters can be Masters without sitting on the Council; They were, for a lack of a better way to put it, 'Doctors' of the Force, much in the same way that you may earn a Doctorate in Science, etc. etc. (Not doctor's as in..."Get me 3 miligrams of whatever, stat."); Qui-Gon was a Jedi Master, according to the Star Wars databank, but because of his unorthodox methods, he was not granted a seat on the Council; technically, all Jedi may and will ascend into Masterhood, save for their a) untimely death, b) lack of action, c) inability to find a Knight as a Padawan. Remember, Younglings who were not placed into the care of a Jedi Knight were transfered to 'Corps.' (I.E. Agricultural Corps.)

A Jedi Master is a rank above Jedi Knight. Jedi Knight is a colloquial term for all of the Jedi. Padawan is a learner. Jedi Knight, the rank, is an 'Agent' of the Force. So on, so forth.

Damn, Jedi are confusing. ):
arkodeon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2006, 02:25 AM   #34
Kurgan
Headhunter

Ah, but if you're on the Council, you're a Master, by default, but they made the exception with Anakin, which is why he got pissed.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:27 AM   #35
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
What?
His history is explaind in the Visual Dictionary and (I think) Labyrinth of Evil (which I haven't read and don't really plan to). He was "trained in the Jedi arts" meaning he was taught how to fight with Lightsabers and some tips on what a Jedi might do in combat... all by Count Dooku. But Grievous was not force sensitive. He was not a Jedi or Sith. Dooku just gave him some saber lessons, basically. The Clone Wars series also picks up on that idea, and shows them sparring.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #36
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
But Grievous was not force sensitive. He was not a Jedi or Sith. Dooku just gave him some saber lessons, basically. The Clone Wars series also picks up on that idea, and shows them sparring.
Also note that Grievous does not attempt to block blaster bolts.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #37
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Where in the movies and books did it say that Dooku was Qui-Gons master?
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #38
Kurgan
Headhunter

Grievous doesn't attempt to block blaster bolts in the movie, true, but then you could argue the only time he was being directly fired upon he didn't have his sabers...

Given his speed and such, in CW, I don't see why he couldn't have just spun his sabers like a "shield" to block the bolts. They give us the impression that he's just mechanically obeying Dooku's admonition to "retreat" rather than attack. I think they threw that in there because had built up Grievous to be this fearless unstoppable combat monster who kills Jedi Masters with ease. Then they find out RoTS is going to have him as a coughing coward who doesn't directly kill anybody (except maybe a few Clone Troopers he runs over in that jallopy of his) so they introduce this to try to explain the change.

Quote:
In AOTC when Obi-Wan is being held prisoner, Dooku says (iirc) "You forget, I was once his master as he was your's," something along those lines anyway. But yeah, Yoda taught Dooku. Dooku taught Qui Gon Jinn. Qui Gon taught Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan taught Anakin, then Luke. According to the movies...

Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 AM   #39
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by han sala
I'm sorry Sally but jesus everyone knows that it's mentioned alot in EU and at a crucial scene in the AOTC like Kurgan said.

- Halo_92

Old 02-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #40
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Grievous doesn't attempt to block blaster bolts in the movie, true, but then you could argue the only time he was being directly fired upon he didn't have his sabers...
In the last episode of CW season one he dodges all the fire from the clones without making any attempt to block it...

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Was Dooku Yoda's Apprentice?