lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Demo Thread! (First impressions)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite

Demo Thread! (First impressions)

For all of us who have the demo whats your first thoughts? was it like you expected?
im still downloading 15% will write more once i played it!

SW Galaxies Online name: Cavkov
Server: Chimaera
Profession: Bounty Hunter
Guild: DOS - Dark Order of the Sith

If you only knew the power of the darkside!
Igor_Cavkov is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
ghost665_uk
Rookie

hehe im currently at 30%

"The Price Of Freedom Is Eternal Vigilance."

-- Thomas Jefferson
ghost665_uk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
JediGoat
Rookie

spoiler:
The demo is exactly what I was expecting. There are 4 playable planets with quests you must follow. You are limited at what units you can train/build. Anyway, I think the graphics look great, especially on the new planets of Felucia and Kamino. Man, those Felucia ground beetles are awesome! I actually saw a new ship that the Imperials had...a Venator-class Star Destroyer. Everyone should purchase this game when it comes out...it's going to look incredible and have so many more units, planets, features, etc.
JediGoat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite

99%!!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
ghost665_uk
Rookie

damn you over took me lol, im at 90%

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
fortune faded13
Rookie

14 percent!!! haha im so behind...
fortune faded13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite

The demo was ok not giving away to much before the big game
i like the new faction and there are alot more in the gameplay than the original game! its going to be outstanding!
GREAT JOB PG!

PS. i would like o have more freedom in the demo but its ok i guess there will be mods soon

Old 10-05-2006, 11:46 PM   #8
jedi7000nathan

Current Game: Kotors 1 and 2
I can't play the demo my computer doesn't have direct x 9 how do you install it
jedi7000nathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #9
ElizLestrad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediGoat
spoiler:
The demo is exactly what I was expecting. There are 4 playable planets with quests you must follow. You are limited at what units you can train/build. Anyway, I think the graphics look great, especially on the new planets of Felucia and Kamino. Man, those Felucia ground beetles are awesome! I actually saw a new ship that the Imperials had...a Venator-class Star Destroyer. Everyone should purchase this game when it comes out...it's going to look incredible and have so many more units, planets, features, etc.
The Venator is not a new ship. It was in the origional, you just had to know how to unlock it.
ElizLestrad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 12:51 AM   #10
lordzack
Rookie

I have it now.
lordzack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 AM   #11
]V[Zaknaril
Lurker

Thumbs up

The demo was good, albeit short. I enjoyed the new features and I liked the Consortium more than I thought I would. I think my favorite overall unit was the Vengeance-class Frigate. Two of these bad boys totally rocked a

I am definitly looking forward to the real deal!

]V[Zaknaril is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 01:47 AM   #12
DS_Vespidbat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi7000nathan
it would tell u where to go, i had to install a new 9 for it but it was fast.
It only tooked me 32 mins so i prob beaten all of u :P.

DS_Vespidbat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 01:53 AM   #13
Valter
Rookie

I think there is something wrong with the downloading time required. It says it will take 6 hours and 32 minutes to download. That doesn't seem right...

"You will pay the price for your lack of vision!" - Palpatine
Valter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 01:55 AM   #14
lordzack
Rookie

Wow, that was fun. I definetly want Forces of Corruption now. I liked the different kinds of terrain, especially, and corruption is cool, especially with the tactical modifers that it gives while invading. For example, Rackeetering gives you money for units you kill.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:31 AM   #15
jedi jim 1989
Rookie

i think the demo is great, but as mentioned, its a bit short, i love the units and the infantry only terrain was kool. and the venator isnt a new imp ship, and i also dont think that it will be an empire unit, it was a mandalorian ship (not made by them, but it was owned by them) and they also had a corrilean courvette and ivp's, but i really cant wait till the full version comes out, hats off to petro
jedi jim 1989 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 06:18 AM   #16
Admiral Sith

The Consortiuum was quite fun to play as, but they still seem a bit........overpowered.....and i hate how the demos replay value is nil.

"It may be that the old astrologers had the truth exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars controlled the destinies of men. The time may come when men control the destinies of stars." -Arthur C. Clarke

"Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny." -Carl Schurz
Admiral Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #17
ghost665_uk
Rookie

well i thought the graphics were slightly better had everything on max at 1280*1024, also it seemed to run slightly smoother then EaW, however have got an error message twice allready lol, some sort of text file.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-06-2006, 07:09 AM   #18
deriko
Banned

I liked the demo a lot! I hope that those new imp and rebel units can counter the new Consortiuum units though. I would hate to have the Consortiuum overpowered. Other than that, I saw it's a great game and I'm definitly getting it.
deriko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #19
Solid Snake
Rookie

FOC demo

cant wait to get this demo but im at school right now which sux im getting this 1 & the 2142 demo immediately after my day ends. LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!
Solid Snake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #20
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite

The Zann Conzortium (sp) will add alot to the game its very different from emp and reb. so the game will be much more varieting and more fun to play if you are tired of emp and reb.

I love the new maps and terrain where only infantry can go through! Felucia looked GREAT! and so did Kamino. cant wait to play the other maps!

Old 10-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #21
Dreng
Rookie

so do u have to pay for download it? any way to get it for free?

Dreng is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #22
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite

No its a FREE DOWNLOAD you dont have to pay for anything

Old 10-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #23
Darth Anarch

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreng
so do u have to pay for download it? any way to get it for free?
You don't need to pay to download; all you need is to register at Fileplanet with a valid e-mail address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi7000nathan
DirectX can be downloaded from Microsoft's homepage.

So, about the demo... I'll begin with the negative bits. First of all, I was a little disappointed in the graphics. I have a machine that's way past the recommended specs and I cranked up all the detail levels, but things still looked a little grainy. Maybe it's just the terrain on Felucia and Kamino, I don't know. It was also a little difficult to keep track of the Consortium's ships in space combat, because they're so dark.

A second thing that was a little annoying was the lack of a save feature. There was a lot of dialogue in the demo, and playing through everything one more time while listening to it all would be boring. But of course, that has nothing to do with the game as such.

With the critisism out of the way, let's get to the praiseworthy stuff. The new Consortium units all look great. I particularly liked those heavy artillery starships (I forgot their names - the ones without shields). It was great fun to have a few of those babies hammering away at the Imperial space station. The other units also worked great. I liked the fact that Consortium infantry can't use the "take cover" ability; that makes them stand out a little from the other infantry units.

Having terrain that was imassable to infantry was a great idea. I hope that will be used on some other planets as well and not just Felucia. The terrain on Felucia looked excellent, by the way, and I particularly liked those blue slug-like creatures.

The "pathfinder slot" in the fleets and armies was a great idea, making your initial fleet much more adaptable. And from what I could see, the base layout screen was everything I'd hoped for. The Consortium units, especially the heroes, seemed a little overpowered, but I assume that the demo isn't entirely balanced like the retail product will be.

So, an excellent demo that left me hungry for more. Well done, guys!

"We think in language; therefore, the quality of our thoughts can only be as good as the quality of our language."

-- George Carlin
Darth Anarch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #24
ImpElite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valter
I think there is something wrong with the downloading time required. It says it will take 6 hours and 32 minutes to download. That doesn't seem right...

That's how long it took for me to download the regular EAW demo.

EDIT: whoops, thinking of another game demo.

ex-UEAW Mod Team Mapper.

Last edited by ImpElite; 10-06-2006 at 02:37 PM.
ImpElite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #25
]V[Zaknaril
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Anarch
So, about the demo... I'll begin with the negative bits. First of all, I was a little disappointed in the graphics. I have a machine that's way past the recommended specs and I cranked up all the detail levels, but things still looked a little grainy. Maybe it's just the terrain on Felucia and Kamino, I don't know. It was also a little difficult to keep track of the Consortium's ships in space combat, because they're so dark.
I have an ATI X1600 Pro (512mb) and I thought the graphics were smooth and flowing (and I didn't have the graphics settings cranked up much). I didn't notice the units being too dark either. Perhaps it was your monitor settings (brightness, etc.)?

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Anarch
The new Consortium units all look great. I particularly liked those heavy artillery starships (I forgot their names - the ones without shields). It was great fun to have a few of those babies hammering away at the Imperial space station.
That would be the Vengeance-class Frigate, and yeah it was my favorite unit too! They fire mass-driver cannons which go right through shields and do awesome damage. Two of them totally owned a !!

]V[Zaknaril is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #26
Foshjedi2004

More to Come Later People....The Demo so Far is a lot of Fun. I want to play the normal Campaign!!!

My Personal Opinions are not Endorsed by Any Websites, persons or places.
Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Foshjedi2004 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #27
lordzack
Rookie

I found the base layout screen useful, especially for the attack on Kamino. I love the new bunkers, but I didn't get to use them, only fight them. I definetly like the way the Zann Consortium plays, all sneaky. I can't wait for the full game, so I can go on Galactic Conquest and Corrupt a path to Coruscant, and then bring a huge force there, bypassing all the planets in between! A few minutes later, Palpatine's dead and I do the same thing with Hoth and Mon Mothma.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #28
Delphi-PG
Rookie

Just a small note. To get the best looking water visuals in the game make sure your "SHADER" and "Water Detail" are both set to max. Kamino will look even better!

Delphi
Lead Game Designer (EAW: Forces of Corruption)
Petroglyph
Delphi-PG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #29
Dreng
Rookie

is there any way to build the skipray and some other units that appear shadowed? if not why are them in the demo

Dreng is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #30
SAGEKING-PG
LFN Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizLestrad
The Venator is not a new ship. It was in the origional, you just had to know how to unlock it.
You'll be able to build it in multiplayer too from the pirate bases if you are the Zann Consortium.

Btw I added a mirror link to Strategy Informer on the front page of Petroglyphgames.com, in case you guys dont have fileplanet accounts.

SAGEKING-PG
Community Manager | Petroglyph
sageking@petroglyphgames.com
SAGEKING-PG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #31
gswift

FoC demo says that I must have dx9.0c to play, but I already have it installed. After trying several times to re-install the demo and dx, I ran the FoC help tool and found the problem. Although I had the correct version of direct x, I was missing the following driver file: d3dx9_30.dll . FoC requires that file in your windows/system directory, and the file can be downloaded from a number of different sources for free (but it's not included in the microsoft dx-9c install, and EaW doesn't require this driver).

Thanks to Petroglyph for the excellent help/diagnostic tools included with the game. Good work guys. I would have never found that problem on my own. I can send you the syscheck file upon request.

Gary Swift (aka gswift)
Lenexa, Kansas USA

You can try to monkey-proof your program, but you'll never monkey-proof the monkey.
gswift is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #32
Aayla-Secura
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreng
is there any way to build the skipray and some other units that appear shadowed? if not why are them in the demo
Yeh I was thinking about that to ?
Aayla-Secura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #33
Valter
Rookie

The demo is great, the 7 hour download time was worth it. The new land maps are impressive, especially Kamino. I can't really tell if the space maps are bigger though, they look the same as the EAW space maps (probably just my mind playing tricks on me though).

From what I saw there is only one bug in the game. The units use their abilities without me telling them to. I switched off the toggle for the auto-ability option and they still used their abilities without my orders. I will not stand for insubordination!

"You will pay the price for your lack of vision!" - Palpatine
Valter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #34
ImpElite

The demo was awesome! Kamino and Felucia were excellent! (I hope I'll be able to make maps like them soon). can't wait till full version of the game!

ex-UEAW Mod Team Mapper.

ImpElite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #35
Darth Anarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswift
FoC demo says that I must have dx9.0c to play, but I already have it installed. After trying several times to re-install the demo and dx, I ran the FoC help tool and found the problem. Although I had the correct version of direct x, I was missing the following driver file: d3dx9_30.dll . FoC requires that file in your windows/system directory, and the file can be downloaded from a number of different sources for free (but it's not included in the microsoft dx-9c install, and EaW doesn't require this driver).

Thanks to Petroglyph for the excellent help/diagnostic tools included with the game. Good work guys. I would have never found that problem on my own. I can send you the syscheck file upon request.
I was missing the exact same file from my system. Here's the link I used:

DirectX

It lets you download the latest (August) version of DirectX, which includes that file. Simply unpack it to any temporary folder on your computer, click the setup icon and it installs on your computer.

And speaking of graphics... I have to retract my previous statement about grainy graphics. The first time I played I tried adjusting the graphics settings in-game, but couldn't see any improvement. When I loaded the demo again, all the sliders were already set to max, and the game looked A LOT better than my first time around. I don't know what caused it, but I take back everything I said.

"We think in language; therefore, the quality of our thoughts can only be as good as the quality of our language."

-- George Carlin
Darth Anarch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #36
lordzack
Rookie

Man, Sabotage is nasty if you have the dough. I blew up all the structures on Kamino, besides the shield Generator!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #37
DmitryKo
Rookie

In-game models and effects have been updated... Will the improvements be applied to the original EAW when you install the expansion pack? I hope so.
DmitryKo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #38
Darth Ablett
Rookie

I've got a question about the demo: when I was battling on a planet I'd already corrupted, there was a small border of yellow fog on the upper edge of my screen. This happened for both the space and land battle on Kamino. Will this be permanent? Because I found it pretty annoying, to be honest.

Otherwise, that was pretty good. It was a bit strange to show things like skiprays and the droid works, but have them greyed out, however.

Those plasma tanks sure are beastly though! That AT-AT on Kamino wasn't standing for long!

Also, is the Tartan Cruiser now a Consortium unit as well?

Last edited by Darth Ablett; 10-06-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Darth Ablett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 10:15 PM   #39
Solid Snake
Rookie

the consortium guys r fun to play with. and i totally agree that the veangence frigate is prolly 1 of the coolest units i love the demo. now i want the whole game!
Solid Snake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #40
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Gah, I couldn't stand the demo. I lasted maybe 5 minutes. Got tired of sitting through all the hints and stuff. All I wanted to do was play a skirmish, I could have done without a tutorial campaign.

Although, Battlestar Galactica was kinda occupying the majority of my attention, so might not have given the demo my complete attention.

I was never intending to run out to EBGames and buying the expansion anyways. I'll get it when the price drops next year or something.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Forces of Corruption > Demo Thread! (First impressions)