lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Accessing the OJP Source (Pre-SVN Posts)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-11-2004, 03:07 AM   #41
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

It wasn't my intention to offend. Beyond the initial hassle of getting thru the security, the service is great.

Unfortunately, that initial hassle is pretty combersome. It seems like every single time someone tries to get their system set up for a direct connection something goes wrong. Weither this is due to human error or the security measures, I can't say, but either way, it really makes it hard to get new people to use the repository.

Anyway, you're right. My comment was overly harsh and I applogize.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2004, 09:48 AM   #42
jbminn
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by razorace
It wasn't my intention to offend. Beyond the initial hassle of getting thru the security, the service is great.

Unfortunately, that initial hassle is pretty combersome. It seems like every single time someone tries to get their system set up for a direct connection something goes wrong. Weither this is due to human error or the security measures, I can't say, but either way, it really makes it hard to get new people to use the repository.

Anyway, you're right. My comment was overly harsh and I applogize.
I was more suprised than offended.

Are the problems experienced similar? The instructions I have posted on the site now cover Eclipse, NetBeans, TortoiseCVS, cvsnt and precompiled sserver clients for Linux and Windows.

If there is a common area where everyone experiences trouble, that would be helpful to know.

jbminn
jbminn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2004, 03:51 PM   #43
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

The tortoiseCVS tutorial on the site uses the batch file method that's overly complicated and causes errors even when it works. The method I described on the first page of this thread tells you how to do it without resorting to that.

Secondly, I beleive the common problem area is during the log in and checkout process. I think the common error is a "connection refused". I've had multiple people get stuck at that point and have directed all of them to email you to see what the problem is. This happens even when I am able to connect to the repository so I suspect it has something to do with newly secured IDs.

I think the biggie is that newbies can't really handle the complicated process of either getting a direct connection or creating a local copy. In most cases, people just want to have a copy of the source but can't do so since trying to download the pure source only gives you the stuff in the root folder.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:11 AM   #44
Brad Oliver

Quote:
Originally posted by jbminn
If there is a common area where everyone experiences trouble, that would be helpful to know.
In my experience, I had to compile my own cvs client, since the version that ships with OSX (1.10) doesn't contain sserver support. I can e-mail you the binary if you wish to host it on freepository.com

Beyond that, I had the mysterious "connection refused" message, which was only cleared up after e-mailing you. Dunno what I did wrong, or why it needed fixing at that point.
Brad Oliver is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2004, 07:06 AM   #45
Brad Oliver

Quote:
Some reminders for those that are actively committing changes to the repository:
I have the Mac version building now. The changes needed are very minor - mainly path delimiter changes like #include "..\blah" to #include "../blah" and removing some type redefinitions.

How do I go about getting these changes back into the repository?

Also, when I did my checkout earlier today, I got a source tree that had both "Basic" and "Enhanced" directories, but only the Basic tree had any source files in it. What should I be pulling down and building against?
Old 09-04-2004, 12:31 PM   #46
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

1. Do the changes still allow for it to compile on PCs and linux? If not, we're going to add some #if statements to get it to do so.

How about you contact me over email or an IM service and send me a copy of the code for me to test? Or have you already done so?

Anyway, once we've figured it out, I'll give you write access to commit the changes.

2. Anyway the repository is set up with both the Basic and Enhanced source codes as branched in the same /basic directory. The HEAD branch is Enhanced while the OJP_BASIC leads to Basic.

I did this so that it's much easier to merge Basic changes into the Enhanced code. It's probably the wrong way to do it but I'm a pretty big CVS newbie.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:54 PM   #47
Brad Oliver

Quote:
1. Do the changes still allow for it to compile on PCs and linux? If not, we're going to add some #if statements to get it to do so.
They are all separated with #if MAC_PORT/#else/#endif. However, a lot of them can be applied safely to all ports, since they are syntax cleanup fixes that won't affect compilation on the other platforms. It should be clearer when you get the code.

Quote:
How about you contact me over email or an IM service and send me a copy of the code for me to test? Or have you already done so?
I'll do so tomorrow or Monday and we'll take it from there.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:15 PM   #48
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Ok, great.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:49 PM   #49
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Ok, I've updated the tutorial and the cvs1.zip. This new process has actually worked for some people so I suggest anyone that is still interested give it a try.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #50
CortoCG

The process worked out the first time to me. Very straightforward. Thanks.

Dark Forces Mod: Modeler, animator, coder.

For more detail about my work visit my website
CortoCG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 AM   #51
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Alrightly, I've just done a massive revision to the tutorial to reflect the changes in newer TortoiseCVS versions. The great thing about it is that you no longer have to use the command line or my hackish cvs zips anymore! Yeah!

Old 09-16-2005, 12:51 AM   #52
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Ooops, I forgot to mention that you need to set the module field in the checkout menu to be a period (IE "."). I've updated the tutorial to show this.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #53
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

I've created a new branch (SPNAVCODEPORT) off OJP_BASIC to contain the SP Nav port code until I can get it to a working state. This code currently doesn't not properly compile or run but all the declarations/defines should be right. I'm currently in the process of filling out all the undefined functions/classes that make this all work.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #54
dannyboy233
Lurker

Razor, Is the Source that has holstered weapons in it available yet? I was wondering because i kinda wanted to take..you know, a nosy round in it
dannyboy233 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #55
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Yep, its in all the branches now. Just search for "VisualWeapons" in the files to find it.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #56
dannyboy233
Lurker

Cheers, thanks a bunch. Ill have a poke round later.
dannyboy233 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #57
Grey Raven
Rookie

First time in this forum; forgive the very assinine question.

I was trying to use that TortoiseCVS program to download the repository, followed the instructions to the letter, however when the login.bat program prompts me for my password, it won't allow me to enter anything. It then tells me that I've entered an empty password, and the operation fails. Is there anything I can do about this?
Grey Raven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #58
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

The login.bat method is no longer nessicary under the newer version of the tutorial. All you have to do is do a CVS Checkout and input your modified CVSRoot.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:24 AM   #59
ensiform
The Stig

Current Game: Borderlands 2
just a suggestion but uhm i think it would make it easier if you converted to svn instead of cvs and its like 100x better, many many projects are making the change.

iojamp project lead / coder
ensiform is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2006, 05:22 AM   #60
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

What's the advantage? I'm pretty happy with CVS as is.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #61
ensiform
The Stig

ive never ever really gotten cvs to work without downloading the tarballs. svn works perfectly for a few projects im linked to.

here's a q3 project that moved to svn and everyone seems happy that it did:

http://www.quakesrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6212

Old 03-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #62
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

I think that's more of an issue with the tarball generator and the way we have our branched set up. I beleive Keshire was able to tarball it without issues.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:59 AM   #63
ensiform
The Stig

i dunno svn just seems easier at least on my end.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #64
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Well, you could just get a direct CVS connection to the repository. That does make things a lot easier.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #65
ensiform
The Stig

rofl but making cvs work is too much compared to just doing svn co svn://......... foldername

Old 03-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #66
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

...As opposed to completely starting over the repository?

Old 04-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #67
Grey Raven
Rookie

Found something wonderful!...

I'm not very internet savvy, and until I found this site had never heard of "CVS" before.

I've still been having alot of trouble trying to get the CVS to work properly (everytime I tried to install Tortoise, the program would be gone after reboot). Just today I decided to bite the bullet and download each file from the repository manually . About halfway through cgame, which I started with, I noticed something at the top left of the screen, something about "downloading OJP tarballs". I didn't know what that meant, but I was bored as hell and figured I'd find out. Lo, and behold, I found something wonderful - Freepository.com has a tar file containing EVERY single file in the OJP repository . Just download it, open it with WinZip, and extract. Yahoo!

The latest version of WinZip can be found here.
Grey Raven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2006, 02:06 AM   #68
ZerooftheFour
Rookie

nvm, i got it to work...

Last edited by ZerooftheFour; 05-19-2006 at 05:36 PM.
ZerooftheFour is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #69
JRHockney*

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member 
Alright, I didn't follow the directions completely, but I have the code downloaded so I can at least view it and compare it with base (which is all I should be doing considering my sad knowledge of C).

I was wondering: does anyone know where I can find the most of the changes made to the saber combat for Enhanced? I compared the code with base code for hours and only found a few irrelavate things that were different, so can anyone tell me the line and file/class (or whatever those things are called in C Example: bg_saber or w_saber ) of where much of the changes are made. I would most like to see the code for the attackfake btw.

Game screen name: Master Jon Hoc Ni

UDM Quote: in singapore, gangsters are...skinny jacka**es who think they can 0wn you. they hurl insults at u, and then lose in a fight. n00bs
JRHockney* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #70
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

most of it is in bg_saber and w_saber, but it's thruout the code. The key is to look for the "[SaberSys]" tags that I've used to mark all those changes.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:29 AM   #71
JRHockney*

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorace
most of it is in bg_saber and w_saber, but it's thruout the code. The key is to look for the "[SaberSys]" tags that I've used to mark all those changes.
Cool, I'll check it out. Great to have you back!!

UDM Quote: in singapore, gangsters are...skinny jacka**es who think they can 0wn you. they hurl insults at u, and then lose in a fight. n00bs
Old 06-01-2006, 05:29 AM   #72
JRHockney*

Weird, I couldn't find any of those tags. I even ran a search on the code for them for both bg_saber and w_saber. I guess I'm just going to have to look for the changes the hard way.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #73
Sushi_CW
Rookie

Question: What all is required to successfully compile and run the OJP source? I'm thinking of getting in on some code changes myself (I do program, as it happens) but I'd like to know what infrastructure I'll need. Razor, what compiler do you use? Do you use any sort of project file or makefile? If I download the source, is it ready to compile or do I have to tweak some stuff first? And if I do need to tweak...what?
Sushi_CW is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #74
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_CW
Question: What all is required to successfully compile and run the OJP source? I'm thinking of getting in on some code changes myself (I do program, as it happens) but I'd like to know what infrastructure I'll need. Razor, what compiler do you use? Do you use any sort of project file or makefile? If I download the source, is it ready to compile or do I have to tweak some stuff first? And if I do need to tweak...what?
All the project files (for Visual Studios 2003) are on the repository where they should be. All you gotta do is get the files off the repository and compile them with VS 2003. You can technically compile the code with any compiler that can output .dlls but you'd have to figure out all the project file stuff on your own.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:11 AM   #75
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHockney*
Weird, I couldn't find any of those tags. I even ran a search on the code for them for both bg_saber and w_saber. I guess I'm just going to have to look for the changes the hard way.
How did you get the files?

Old 06-03-2006, 05:55 AM   #76
JRHockney*

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorace
How did you get the files?
If I remember right, I just downloaded the whole thing and used microsoft visual C++ v8 to look at them. I had no intention of modifying anything yet, so I did it the easy way.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #77
Vruki Salet

You must have the wrong code JR. Or maybe you're doing a search using regular expressions, without realizing it, and not escaping the '[' ?
Vruki Salet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #78
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

simply searching for "SaberSys" (without the qoutes) should get you everything you need. Maybe you're not searching in the correct area,which I either set to the entire solution or the root directory of all the source code files.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #79
Sushi_CW
Rookie

Meh. I can't get the direct access working (like everyone else ). I get as far as trying to log in, but it rejects my password. It might have something to do with the SSL certificate (if I don't include the .cvsSSLkeys file, I get the same error) but I took care to download the most recent version from Freepository's site. Any ideas?
Sushi_CW is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #80
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

hmmm, what's the actual error message?

As for getting help on weird problems, the best way is to email the freepository admin. He's great about helping fix problems just like this.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Open Jedi Project (OJP) > Accessing the OJP Source (Pre-SVN Posts)