lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Custom Title?
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-28-2006, 02:36 AM   #41
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuperRodian
respect should be earnt, not rewarded for posting multiple times. Take Mag_opus in the republic commando forum. 25 posts and he's one of the most respected people that posts there IMO. he has made some of the best sigs i have ever seen, yet with minimal post count he's a hit. So, although some people may be mislead by the "bigger post count, better person2 concept, heres proof that isnt it.
Just how many people visit that forum? A handful of spammers. I know there's you, me, RC, Bomberman and Opus. I don't think a limited opinion of respect actually counts. There is just nobody there. Here in Ahto, we have a much larger base of regulars. I believe it would be more difficult to earn respect here. There is nothing that can be done about the whole big-post-count thing, in my opinion, save removing the Post Counter, which I am sure will not be too much of a popular idea...

Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2006, 04:21 AM   #42
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
well, even in SWK, Mach is kind of a God at the CEC, even though his computer is messed up occasionally and he refuses to give us allowance

Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may:
Old 10-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #43
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-1162
well, even in SWK, Mach is kind of a God at the CEC, even though his computer is messed up occasionally and he refuses to give us allowance
Didn't understand one word of that mate

British By Birth. English By The Grace Of God

Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
Let Mercy Come
TSR is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #44
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

Okay IF you are going to remove the 1000 post count. Don't do it before i reach it or il scream. I like the rank idea system though, some nice star wars themed ones based on Jedi would be good. As for garnering respect based on post count. I don't think it's right, i mean im near a thousand posts and most of mine are meaningless but on the off chance i do sometimes have something important to say i don't want people to judge me by my previous posts and not read the important stuff i write.

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may:
Old 10-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #45
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuperRodian
Didn't understand one word of that mate
eh, you need to be a writer and/or visit the CEC often to know what i'm talking about.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #46
Hayden Kered
Veteran

Helpful! 
I just had an idea. Since the holidays are around the corner, why not grant every one the ability to change their custom title? A PM could be sent to every one that is under 1000 posts notifying them about the "hoilday special". But, This would only last untill January 1st. It could be a little gift from all the great Moderators.

I QUIT LF!
Hayden Kered is offline   you may:
Old 11-14-2006, 01:51 AM   #47
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
That would only last a few days, and to say that there are a lot of members with under 1,000 posts would be the understatement of this millenium. It would take way too much effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #48
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

wait, what if this feature was enabled as a christmas special and they get to keep the title till next christmas or the 1000 post mark, whichever comes first. any comments?

Old 11-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #49
Hayden Kered
Veteran

Helpful! 
^^^
That's an even better idea!

I QUIT LF!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #50
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-1162
wait, what if this feature was enabled as a christmas special and they get to keep the title till next christmas or the 1000 post mark, whichever comes first. any comments?
That's a good idea RC, but let's see what the Mods have to say. Also, I thought this Thread had died.
Diego Varen is offline   you may:
Old 11-14-2006, 02:57 PM   #51
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsie
Also, I thought this Thread had died.
Yeah.. me too

Sorry gang, but this subject has risen up sooo many times. The policy isn't changing any time soon, and making threads over it definitely won't make it happen any faster.

Admins will, in time, try to implement a ranking system so that "Registered User" will become a thing in the past.. but there's alot of work still to be done in the infrastructure of LFnet before any of the 'fun' stuff gets done.

Please be patient. The Admins are well aware of your desire for something better than "Registered User" (I'm right there with ya' gang)...

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may:
Old 11-14-2006, 03:27 PM   #52
Hayden Kered
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsie
Also, I thought this Thread had died.
It hasn't been dead for long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
Sorry gang, but this subject has risen up sooo many times. The policy isn't changing any time soon, and making threads over it definitely won't make it happen any faster.

Admins will, in time, try to implement a ranking system so that "Registered User" will become a thing in the past.. but there's alot of work still to be done in the infrastructure of LFnet before any of the 'fun' stuff gets done.

Please be patient. The Admins are well aware of your desire for something better than "Registered User" (I'm right there with ya' gang)...
Understandable! But at least we tried.

I QUIT LF!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 AM   #53
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Sorry to ressurect this Thread, but I've noticed that the Mods have given members that have under 1000 posts, titles like Rookie and Veteran. Thanks to the Mods or Admins who made this possible and it is much better than the boring Registered User.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:46 AM   #54
90SK

Indeed, I was just noticing this as well. Definitely an improvement over the redundant "Registered User" status.
90SK is offline   you may:
Old 02-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #55
mjpb3
Forumite

^^^

Hmmm... just noticed this...
(Tells how observant I am! )

Apparently I am "Regular"...

Hrm... I don't want to cast a bad light on the idea -- which is great BTW -- but "Regular" doesn't sound all that appealing -- to me at least.

Could us "Regular" folks get a title that doesn't sound like it is referring to -- ummm --- our bodily functions instead?

Just a thought...

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨My Mods¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
Disciple FTW!
There is no canon. There is only Revan.
FYI: I am a girl, and you may call me Janet.
It's all just fun and games until the flying monkeys attack.
mjpb3 is offline   you may:
Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 AM   #56
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Someone always has to look the gift horse in the mouth.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may:
Old 02-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #57
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Is there anywhere that tells us what Custom Title you have, depending on the limit of posts you have. I know that once you have over 1000, you can use what you want. Thanks to anyone who tells me this and I do know that Lurker is the first title you have when you join.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #58
mjpb3
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Someone always has to look the gift horse in the mouth.
Well! I just didn't want to be seen as having Regular underneath my forum name. Looked... bizarre, to say the least.

Forumite I can live with. Thanks!

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨My Mods¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
Disciple FTW!
There is no canon. There is only Revan.
FYI: I am a girl, and you may call me Janet.
It's all just fun and games until the flying monkeys attack.
mjpb3 is offline   you may:
Old 02-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #59
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I’m not overly found of the title “Junior Member,” but it beats "Registered User." (Well at least I think it does. At least it better than “Banned”).

Thanks for a change anyways. At my current pace it will be 2011 or 2012 before I get my custom title, so this was a nice surprise. Thanks all.

mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 02-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #60
SithRevan
Veteran

Helpful! 
The custom titles guys! The only thing I would change though is my title. I should be the "Supreme Forumite". Well I guess heres to dreaming...

I have defied gods and demons.
I am your shield, I am your sword.
I know you; your past, your future.
This is the way the world ends...
-----------------------------------------
TAC-F v2.0 | Ubese Assassin's Armor | TSL: Warp Console v1.0 | Auto K1 DS Transitioning | Deralia Spaceport[TSL&K1] | Kotor2Files.com Co.Manager | K1RP: Kotor I Restoration Project
SithRevan is offline   you may:
Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #61
Kristy Kistic

Ooooh - I always wanted to be a rookie

Kristy Kistic is offline   you may:
Old 02-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #62
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Is there a list somewhere of the new forum titles? Must be blind or something, cause I can't seem to find it...

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may:
Old 02-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #63
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I don't think theres an official list anywhere of the new ones, but I think it goes like this:

0 - Lurker
10 - Rookie
250 - Junior Member
500 - Forumite
750 - Veteran
1,000 - custom title

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may:
Old 02-28-2007, 02:57 AM   #64
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

w00t! i'm away for a month and things begin to happen here! maybe i should leave more often .
i'd like to shake the hand of the cool guy who managed to bring these titles back up.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #65
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
Im Having a problem with the custom title, i just got my 1000 post and i can't find where you change the title, where is it?

HK-42 is offline   you may:
Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #66
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Saruman
Im Having a problem with the custom title, i just got my 1000 post and i can't find where you change the title, where is it?
You'll have to wait for a while. Check in a few hours.

User CP > Profile

You'll find it soon enough, Just be patient.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may:
Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #67
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
You have to have 1001 posts.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 04-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #68
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Obi-Wan
You'll have to wait for a while. Check in a few hours.
I think the scheduled task that checks post count and moves people over to the other user group allowing a custom title runs once per hour or so, so just waiting a while should fix that, for future reference.
stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 04-03-2007, 11:28 PM   #69
TheRealDem
Rookie

Why dont we just have a Karma system like roosterteeth?Example my profile: http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/members/...php?uid=464973
TheRealDem is offline   you may:
Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #70
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I think reputation is a feature of vB 3.6+ (I don't exactly keep up with the development of it though so I may be wrong).

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 04-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #71
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
I think reputation is a feature of vB 3.6+ (I don't exactly keep up with the development of it though so I may be wrong).
There is a Reputation power field on the user profile screen here, though I don't know if it has anything to do with the type of reputation you're referring to. If it has then it's likely supported by vBulletin 3 but turned off at LucasForums. An admin will have to answer that since I can't see the forum settings.

As for reputation/karma I personally don't see the point of it. On the few forums I'm lurking on that has this feature it doesn't seem to be an indicator of anything. What purpose does it serve?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #72
Darth333
Administraterror

There is indeed a reputation feature which is similar to the Karma thing but it has not been enabled and will likely never be. As stoffe, I don't see the point in enabling such feature. Titles are much better IMHO: they're fun and it's an objective method which is available to everyone contrary to Karma/reputation which is entirely dependant on the votes and comments made by others.
Darth333 is offline   you may:
Old 04-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #73
TheRealDem
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
There is a Reputation power field on the user profile screen here, though I don't know if it has anything to do with the type of reputation you're referring to. If it has then it's likely supported by vBulletin 3 but turned off at LucasForums. An admin will have to answer that since I can't see the forum settings.

As for reputation/karma I personally don't see the point of it. On the few forums I'm lurking on that has this feature it doesn't seem to be an indicator of anything. What purpose does it serve?

It just states that youve been on for a long time and post a lot and are really active.Because anyone with a custom title could say theyre special.While unlike redvsblue which has a thing where sponsors get custom titles.And they have access to really cool stuff,SWK users can suck up to the mods to change their title.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #74
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Fear
It just states that youve been on for a long time and post a lot and are really active.Because anyone with a custom title could say theyre special.While unlike redvsblue which has a thing where sponsors get custom titles.And they have access to really cool stuff,SWK users can suck up to the mods to change their title.
Does it really matter that someone has been around for a long time and post a lot? Personally I don't think that makes someone's opinions inherently worth more than everybody else's.

And those that do think it's important for whatever reason can still see it since the Registration date and number of posts is displayed in the bar to the left every time someone posts.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just a bit curious what the point of the reputation/karma system is since I can't really see it. What does the karma/reputation reflect? That someone has been around a long time? That someone has a lot of friends on the forums or is generally well liked? Would you really need to quantify that into a number?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #75
TheRealDem
Rookie

Why dont you ask the guys who made the site?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #76
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
Why dont you ask the guys who made the site?
But since you're the person who's been suggesting the idea, don't you think it would make more sense to ask you?

Personally I'm against it as well. Nothing could arise from an official reputation system than popularity contests, angst about not getting good enough ratings from people, lots of debate about the point of having it, and probably some spammy threads.

What would the benefits be of having an official reputation system be anyway? None come to mind with me. IMO all they do is put less importance on post quality and more on popularity.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #77
TheRealDem
Rookie

Quote:
Q: What is karma? What gives me karma? What makes me lose karma?
A: Karma is a rating system where your karma level is raised based on how much you use the site and how much positive feedback other users give you. You can gain karma for making comments that get modded up and you can lose karma for making comments that get modded down.
Q: What are mod points? How can I get mod points?
A: Mod points are ratings given to various posts around the site. You can gain mod points by using the site and making positive comments that get modded up.
Thats taken from the RoosterTeeth FAQ theyre are tons of users on The RoosterTeeth site and they havent complained about it.And the sites been around for 3-4 years.So its basically a good system.And What is sponsorship?

Quote:
Sponsorship FAQ
http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/faq/?id=8
Hey its 10 bucks for six months and well worth it if I might add.Thats better than posting 1000 times for a custom title.Now there are ways we could morph this.

1.Pay $10 once for the rest of the time this site is up(Probably forever)
2.Once you pay you can edit your name, title, and get access to other stuff like protected forums for like sponsors and stuff.Now is that really a hassle?
3.We test this for a month if it works we stick with it.If not we scrap it and brainwash everyone so it never happened.

What do you think?

EDIT:Theres also an award system where well get into much later.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #78
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
2.Once you pay you can edit your name, title, and get access to other stuff like protected forums for like sponsors and stuff.Now is that really a hassle?
Well, there's the matter that no here would want to pay $10 to just to change their names (not a lot of people do that anyway) or their titles. Even then, would you have to pay the 6-month fee constantly to keep your custom title or just to change it? If it's just to change it, then that's another reason not to pay - a lot of people have had their titles for months and probably won't be changing them soon (me included). If you've got to pay just to keep your title, then that's ridiculous - if I wanted to be called "Jae Onasi's Nemesis" for 2 1/2 years, that would cost me $50. I can think of a lot of things I'd rather spend that money on than three words which show up on an online forum. (For Pete's sake, I could buy a video game that could keep entertained for longer than that with $50)

Since paying for custom titles and name changes is essentially worthless, the only thing left would be the private sponsor forums, which I suspect would be extremely boring to use. I doubt many people would be willing to pay $10 a month to post in them, so even if you were willing to there'd be next to no one to chat with. Why would I want to pay a monthly fee for a forum that's more boring than the free one? And even supposing you could get a large enough umber of people to pay for that forum, what could it offer that the regular one couldn't?

Meh, not much of a point to it. The $10 wouldn't get you very much, could cost a lot if you plan to stay at LF for a while, and would probably become just another status symbol along with post counts and join dates.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #79
TheRealDem
Rookie

I never said its month its pay 10 dollars once and only once you misunderstood me.I meant while the site lasted as in if the site has a problem and gets closed down.Im not saying it will so I doubt a meesly 10 dollars would hurt.And getting 1000 posts would take longer than getting 10 dollars saved up for a sponsorship.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #80
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I honestly don't see why we (LF) would need this. I think the current system we have, would be more suitable. A custom title should be a privilege and over time, you'll acquire that custom title by posted 1000+ times.

I also think it would be too confusing to change to this system you are talking about. I don't think many people would want to pay a fee of some sort to get a custom title and what not. Also, it would get to hectic with the name changing and all that. This forum is relatively big and wouldn't work as well, IMO. It would work better if, you just start a forum maybe. But, I don't think many people would go for this idea.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Starwarsknights.com > Feedback > Custom Title?