lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Neverwinter Nights 2 (May Contain Spoilers!! - Please Use Tags)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Watch_Dogs
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Neverwinter Nights 2 (May Contain Spoilers!! - Please Use Tags)

I know some of you (eg. Chainz.2da) are looking forward to NWN2 which is supposedly released today. I'm behind the times, having just picked up Oblivion, so it might be awhile before I turn my attention to NWN2. If any of you have opinions about the game and the game mechanics I'd like to hear about them.

Edit: It's on its way. Thanks Amazon.

Last edited by tk102; 11-02-2006 at 02:09 PM.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
From what i've seen, NWN 2 is going to rock! I am so going to buy it whenever i have the chance, and it's graphics and game engine seems to be way better than the original NWN. From what my brother said, it resembles the SWG graphics. I don't remember, haven't seen the screens in a while.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I'd definitely going to pick up a copy of it by the end of the week. I loved the original games, and the new graphics engine looks incredible.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Yeah, it did come out today, hope i get one copy soon, the game just and simply rocked.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I'm looking forward to it, too. I'll have to fight Jimbo for the desktop computer, though. NWN 1&2 won't play on my laptop and he's hooked on Morrowind at the moment, and I bet he'll be sucked in by Oblivion once we get that, too.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
It will not be released in this corner of the world for more than a month. For some unfathomable reason the publishers tend to need a month or two to translate games from American to UK-English.

I loved the first Neverwinter Nights so I'll definitely get NWN2. Don't know much about it yet, I've avoided reading the forums and pre-release hype on purpose to avoid any spoilers and experience the game without knowing half of it before it's even been installed.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
NWN was spectacular, and I first played it last year. The second one looks to be even better, though I'll be delayed from getting it for a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe -mkb-
It will not be released in this corner of the world for more than a month. For some unfathomable reason the publishers tend to need a month or two to translate games from American to UK-English.
That's weird. The version of the game that is released in Europe on the 3th of November is UK-English, I think, like most.
Miltiades is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
I'm looking forward to it, too. I'll have to fight Jimbo for the desktop computer, though. NWN 1&2 won't play on my laptop and he's hooked on Morrowind at the moment, and I bet he'll be sucked in by Oblivion once we get that, too.
Looks like I'll be buying a new laptop soon

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
CountVerilucus

Location: Wherever there's pazaak, juma juice, and dancing twileks!
what kind of game is this? is it like kotor? free roaming? combat system?
CountVerilucus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #11
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
I wont be getting any new PC game... my desktop is broken... (throws a sissy-fit)

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2006, 11:34 PM   #12
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountVerilucus
If it's like the first game, all the gameplay (including the combat) are done KotOR-style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 AM   #13
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Knoxville sucks

Was it really released yesterday? I couldn't find a copy anywhere

Cruel Cruel world, why dost thou spite me

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2006, 05:49 AM   #14
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe -mkb-

I loved the first Neverwinter Nights so I'll definitely get NWN2. Don't know much about it yet, I've avoided reading the forums and pre-release hype on purpose to avoid any spoilers and experience the game without knowing half of it before it's even been installed.
Do you know how many -u's they have to add in, and -er's to invert?

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #15
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades
That's weird. The version of the game that is released in Europe on the 3th of November is UK-English, I think, like most.
Hmm, perhaps it's just the site where I usually buy games that have the preliminary release date (December 3) set wrong then. Odd they wouldn't have updated it if the game really is just a couple of days from being released.

I can always hope this is the case and it will become available soon. You just get a bit weary from games like for example Deus Ex:Invisible War where the European-English version was released 3 months after the North American version (I could only wait a few weeks, then I caved i and ordered the NA-version even though it was more expensive with shipping costs included. )

EDIT: Seems like incorrect date was the case; the release date on the site has now changed to today.

Quote:
As far as I know it's vaguely similar to KotOR (which was somewhat similar to the previous NWN) in structure with a main character and recruitable party members, area-based world design, dialogue/quest-driven story and a d20 (D&D) semi-realtime game system. It hopefully still has the more freely controlled camera of NWN rather than the locked one of the KotOR games.

Last edited by stoffe -mkb-; 11-02-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Darth333
Administraterror

I'll definitely buy that game, probably by the end of the week if I see it at a nearby store.

Btw, IGN has just published their first impressions: http://pc.ign.com/articles/742/742913p1.html
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #17
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious
Do you know how many -u's they have to add in, and -er's to invert?

And how many z's need to be changed to s's

Quote:
PCGamer UK gave it 90% with the summary:

A marvellous RPG with stunning tools

It's
> Traditional > Elaborate
> Constructive
It's Not
> Cliched > Overwhelming
> Just for D&D fans

---

Which is nice. There was quite a bit of Avellone worship in the article, which was only mildly disturbing but apparantly we should "File this alongside KotOR and Planescape." It seems that it has been heavily influenced by Obsidian's work on KotOR II - "NWN2 is closer to KotOR 2 than to the original game."

The moral decisions are supposed to be interesting and complex... requiring some time out to think about their repercussions. "Perhaps you'll be given the choice of helping the soldiers kill the thief, sitting back and watching, or saving the thief from the soldiers. Maybe the thief is evil. Maybe the soldiers are. Maybe neither." The greatest thing about the game seems to be the companions, apparently, it is agonising to choose who to take with you...

There seem to be one, or two bugs in the game - but what was described seemed pretty minor - although, quests retriggering when you completed them last time you played has got to be annoying. It also looks as though we'll have a game with a toolset tacked on... rather than a toolset with a game tacked on this time .

Edit: I think the camera controls are still the same but from what I've seen of the videos around there seems to be a KotOR-style camera too.

Last edited by Pavlos; 11-01-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Watch_Dogs
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
There are some file format changes (most notably the TLK file is now UTF-8 encoded) and based on some of the screenshots from http://www.nwn2toolset.com it does appear that the Vector and Orientation fields exist in the GFF file format. I'm interested in this not so much in modding NWN2, but more for the sake of modding KotOR3 (if and when!).

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #19
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'll definitely be getting this at some point. Need to upgrade my machine though...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #20
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
There are some file format changes (most notably the TLK file is now UTF-8 encoded) and based on some of the screenshots from http://www.nwn2toolset.com it does appear that the Vector and Orientation fields exist in the GFF file format. I'm interested in this not so much in modding NWN2, but more for the sake of modding KotOR3 (if and when!).
Amen to that

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #21
Phantom Joker
Rookie

Looks first rate! I suspect my wallet will be down a few bucks by the end of the week...

GameBanshee's NWN2 Page has links to a couple of online reviews. They seem very positive so far...

Missing: One warship with full complement. If found please contact W. Bligh.
Phantom Joker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #22
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Playing Neverwinter Nights 2 is more akin to playing Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment than the original Neverwinter Nights
I really like that bit, those two are among my favourite game, im currenty on a new playthough in Planesacpe:Torment. I probaly get it at fast i have a chance, it will come tomorow here in sweden, so if i see it in a store i probaly buy it
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #23
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
finally, the game I went SLI for ....

*pats XFX 7950 GX2*

too bad we dont get it here in Oz for another two weeks

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #24
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Glad to see there is more party NPC involvement than the original NWN...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #25
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
The game is already avaible in Europe...so i'll be getting it tomorrow, but won't be able to play it for a while because of the busy schedule at work.

I wonder what Obsidian's next project will be. I guess KOTOR3 is too much to hope for.
SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #26
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

I swear, I think I'm going to have to beat down the Best Buy "stocker".. hehehe

I'm going again today.. if it's not on the shelves... someone's getting hurt (probably my "smack" talking arse.. hehehe )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Glad to see there is more party NPC involvement than the original NWN...
I hope so.. from what I first read, it sounded like they just implemented the HotU expansive companions... but the more I got into it, it sounds like there's alot more (unlocking Prestige Classes, "Influence", etc.)... I hope it's a little more involved than the original NWN's "personal item" companion quests...

HotU expansion did a much better job, along with the inter-companion banter.. but it still lacked in some areas...

* Is about to have a fit not being able to find this game locally *

Old 11-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #27
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos
It also looks as though we'll have a game with a toolset tacked on... rather than a toolset with a game tacked on this time .
That's exactly the same impression that I got from NWN1. It was still pretty fun, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
I'm interested in this not so much in modding NWN2, but more for the sake of modding KotOR3 (if and when!).
And IF OE is slated to develop it. If so, it's likely that they would use the same engine (Electron?). If KotOR3 is never made, maybe the modding gods could join forces and make it from scratch using NWN2's toolset (unlikely, but I can dream, can't I? ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
I'll definitely be getting this at some point. Need to upgrade my machine though...
Count yourself as lucky, then. I'll probably have to buy a whole new machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
*pats XFX 7950 GX2*
You never tire of bragging about that, do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
HotU expansion did a much better job, along with the inter-companion banter.. but it still lacked in some areas...
Agreed. HotU was the best part of NWN1's "official campaign," hands down. I've heard that some of the user-built modules are better, though. ChAiNz, since I know that you love NWN1, I was wondering which unofficial modules you thought were the best. There are so many that I don't know where to start.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #28
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
ChAiNz, since I know that you love NWN1, I was wondering which unofficial modules you thought were the best. There are so many that I don't know where to start.
Funny you should ask... look at post #2 for some of my favorites

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=161609

Old 11-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #29
Q
The one who knocks

Man, that was fast! Appreciate it, ChAiNz!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 11-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #30
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
There's a patch for NWN 2 already. 83 MB.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #31
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
There's a patch for NWN 2 already. 83 MB.
dear lord.. "fixes the goof-ups" patch or support hardware style patch?

Guess the one thing to say is that at least Obsidian releases patches for this game hehehe...

Old 11-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #32
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
Guess the one thing to say is that at least Obsidian releases patches for this game hehehe...
From what I've read, OE actually wanted to do a content patch for KotOR2, but LA said no.

-Toker
Old 11-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #33
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
From what I've read, OE actually wanted to do a content patch for KotOR2, but LA said no.
Ofcourse...no money gain from free content.
SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #34
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
NWN2 looks amazing...I'd probably have to wait until I have a better PC though...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #35
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAlex
Ofcourse...no money gain from free content.
That would seem to be the case, from LA's standpoint. I guess they never considered that KotOR2 would probably have sold better had there been a content patch available. The fools.

-Toker
Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #36
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Playing Neverwinter Nights 2 is more akin to playing Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment than the original Neverwinter Nights

The greatest thing about the game seems to be the companions, apparently, it is agonising to choose who to take with you...
Oh. The party management was one of the things I thought was much better done in KotOR than in Baldur's Gate II. It always annoyed me that you could only bring along 5 of the potential party members, and the game actively discouraged switching people in and out of the party i some cases. (Like how the Jaheira romance plotline terminated permanently if you removed her from the active party even once (which caused the Flesh to Stone and Imprisonment spells to kill the plot as well), and how certain party members started to fight and kill each other if they were in the group at the same time (Keldorn vs. Viconia, Minsc vs. Edwin, Valygar vs. Viconia, Korgan vs. Aerie etc).

Felt like you had to spend half the time metagaming and babysitting your party rather than focusing on the story of the game. I hope NWN2 didn't revive those aspects of Baldurs Gate II.

Quote:
There seem to be one, or two bugs in the game - but what was described seemed pretty minor -
There will probably be more. Large games tend to end up with hundreds of bugs of varying severity in the release version. Hopefully they are more committed to releasing patches for NWN2 than they were for KotOR2:TSL (or Bethesda are for Oblivion). Bioware was outstanding in that department with NWN1 where they kept releasing new patches fixing things and adding new features years after the game was released. With a toolset available it's easier to fix some kinds of bugs on your own though if you don't have the patience to wait for a patch.

Quote:
It also looks as though we'll have a game with a toolset tacked on... rather than a toolset with a game tacked on this time .
Remains to see if that's good or bad in the long run. Short term it's better, providing the players with a more immersive game experience right from the start. But it's hard to deny the longevity of NWN, still going strong more than 4 years after it was released, which is much thanks to its active modding community and Bioware's support of that community, not it's original campaigns. I wonder if NWN2 will be able to repeat that success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
finally, the game I went SLI for ....
*pats XFX 7950 GX2*
too bad we dont get it here in Oz for another two weeks
Hmm, I was under the impression that NWN2 wasn't as graphically impressive as some other games recently released (TES4:Oblivion in particular) but focused more on story and game system mechanics than graphical eye candy. Would you really need such monster hardware for that?

Old 11-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #37
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
I would like to get NWN2 but unfortunately D&D Online has sucked me in! Oh the agony!

My Cleric just made 8th Level... Whoo Hoo!!!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #38
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

FINALLY got it

Game looks amazing (other than hair... yuck), but man... I sooo need to un-train myself with Oblivion keymaps

You'd think my character was drunk I was all over the place just trying to get to a door

The graphics are lovely (it includes a Bloom setting).. max resolution is gigantic with up to a 24" widescreen setting!

Astro will be pleased... they finally included a playable Drow race.. and a Tiefling race as well (wasn't expecting that)! Character creation was long and arduous but to be expected for anyone who's played a D&D game, electronic or paper

My main gripe is that install is 7 cd's, 7 freakin' cd's! meh.. I would've much preferred a DVD install disc, but oh well... it got the job done.. hehehe

I'd advise anyone to defrag your harddrive both before you install and after. Once I installed and downloaded the patch.. my drive was fragged all over the place (thanks alot 7 cd's)...

Old 11-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #39
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
despite the emphasis you put upon this, im going to have to ask you to clarify it again. 7 CD's?!?! thats crazy...

British By Birth. English By The Grace Of God

Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
Let Mercy Come
TSR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #40
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
...You never tire of bragging about that, do you?
lolz...would you

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainz
Astro will be pleased... they finally included a playable Drow race..
yes, I knew this, and yes, it's FREAKIN awesome.

Lolz...need I say I preordered the DVD version....7 cds is CRAZY !! Just one of those discs to be slightly bunk could ruin the whole thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Hmm, I was under the impression that NWN2 wasn't as graphically impressive as some other games recently released (TES4:Oblivion in particular) but focused more on story and game system mechanics than graphical eye candy. Would you really need such monster hardware for that?
Oblivion isnt NWN. I'd say its the spell effects and higher npcs that suck up the gfx juice Dont forget what SLI is for.....high rez-high framerate - run any recent game at/above 1600x1200 with all effects on and with high fps and it looks just damn great

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Neverwinter Nights 2 (May Contain Spoilers!! - Please Use Tags)