lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Did GL mess up Prequels?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Did GL mess up Prequels?

In my opinion GL could have improved the Prequels alot. This is what I think he did wrong.

1.Could have added blood or gore to show the cruelness of war.
2.Could have made the clones more of a threat instead of only being good somtimes.
3.When Anakin gets his hand cut off, and when Dooku gets his head and arms cut off there should been blood. Also in RotS when Anakin gets both legs and arm cut off there should have been blood then also.
4.Should have made Darth Maul dieing a little more realistic.
5. Should have taken out Jar'Jar.
6. Should of made the Gungan VS Droid war a little less stupid.
7. Should have made it so the Gungan war was underwater.
8. Should have introduced more planets and gave more background info or atleast mentioned other planets.
9.Should have made Obi-wan less of a wimp in RotS.
10.Should have made it so the fight in Palpatines office was more realistic (shouldnt have killed off Jedi masters so quick)
11. Should have told who Jedi Master Syphodias is.

Well there are others but can't think of them all at this moment. If anyone disagrees with anything I just said or wants to add on please share. Please do not Flame. Even tho I think GL did not do the greatest job with 1-3 I still love Star Wars and oddly enough like the prequels (if that makes any sense lol).
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Well, sure he could have added a bit more reality to the lightsaber fights for example, But blood&gore don't really mix with sci-fi imho.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

It seems for the most part, your wishes are just picky little things that really would have added nothing to the movies or are merely opinion-based. Apparently you don't know that lightsabers usually don't show blood, although there WAS blood when Maul was struck down (in a sort of gaseous form). Not OMG BLOOD AND GORE YAY!!! type stuff that you would except to see in a stupid shooting-explosions-sex-guns-etc. movie.

And we DO know who Sifo-Dyas was. He was explained in AotC. In case you don't remember...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sifo-Dyas
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by han sala
In my opinion GL could have improved the Prequels alot. This is what I think he did wrong.

1.Could have added blood or gore to show the cruelness of war.
<SNAP!>
5. Should have taken out Jar'Jar.
<SNAP!>
7. Should have made it so the Gungan war was underwater.
8. Should have introduced more planets and gave more background info or atleast mentioned other planets.
9.Should have made Obi-wan less of a wimp in RotS.
<SNAP!>

Well there are others but can't think of them all at this moment. If anyone disagrees with anything I just said or wants to add on please share. Please do not Flame. Even tho I think GL did not do the greatest job with 1-3 I still love Star Wars and oddly enough like the prequels (if that makes any sense lol).

1: Partly Agree. iWhile I don't think this needs massive blood and gore, sometimes cuts and wounds are lessened to an unbelieving level. Whats with gungans and such is obvious(gee no dead body thing, its like A-team all over again even Trekkies do it better), but there are other things too. Sure sabers don't leave blood, but bodyparts do go flying when Jedis going chop-chop.

Oh, while we are at the topic of Blood & Bouncy, whassup with the lack of yum-yums in the series. I mean the OT have its share of nice twi'lek chicks, no so for the PT(and no GL's daughter or something is a cow).

5: Friggin` Agree!!! Then like everyone else, we all think jarjar stinks is overplayed. If not he might be tolerable.

7: No. Remember the whole thing is also a diversion. There is a reason how the gungans are doing it on land. And as said the whole thing is softened in the movie to the point of annoying. In books and movies gungans fare much better in the war in the way that they actually FIGHT like warroirs, and the dead piles up like it should be.

8: Thats what EU is for, there is enough of tie-ins seriously. In books these may be possable, but as a movie, you are nuts! Its like if Peter Jackson is doing LotR movies with everything in the books, including the poems and what not... Ok, it might not be that long, but still, it would be too long for the casual viewers.

9: Well, he is doing acceptable acting. And no I won't call him a wimp. Why do you think so?
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
but bodyparts do go flying when Jedis going chop-chop.
Right, and the parts don't bleed, because of the nature of lightsabers.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
=DEATH STAR=
Rookie

I think that there should be more action in Episode I, and less romance in Episode II (between Anakin and Padme)

That's no moon. That's a battle station.
=DEATH STAR= is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Darth Andrew
Veteran

THP would have been a great movie, but Jar-Jar was turned into a merchandise figure. If he was downplayed, the movie would have been a lot better.

AotC was crippled with the horrible love story, and a lot of the dialogue between Anakin and Padme was ridiculous.

RotS was the best of the three, though the beginning space battle should have had no R2-D2-buzz droid cage fight crap. Also, Grievous should have been more of a challenge for Obi-Wan to defeat.

Also, two main problems that plagued the three were: horrible scripts for the dialogue, which brought out little or forced emotion, especially from Christensen and Portman, and lame jokes between R2-D2 and C-3PO. It was funny to watch in the OT, but it really dragged the story (especially in AotC and RotS).

That's my two cents.

Last edited by Darth Andrew; 07-17-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Actually the love story wasn't that horrible, it lacked potential and good acting skills. Evidence of this is probably the best scene between Anakin in Padmé in Episode III when Anakin considers his options in the Jedi Temple while looking from one of the windows at Padmés' apartment where she is also looking at him and he sheds a tear. Ironically this scene has no dialogue. Nuff said.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #9
Darth Andrew
Veteran

It was ok in RotS, but to me some of it seemed forced, especially where Padme says "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!" But it was pathetic in AotC. I dunno, but to me, if one cringes/skips a scene, there must be something wrong with it.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
=DEATH STAR=
Rookie

I think that the Tusken-Raider camp part in AOTC could use some work. For one thing, how is it that the mom was alive long enough just to see her son? I mean she died almost the instant he had her in his arms. (It might just be that she had hope that he would come back, to 'save her') Also, don't you think that Yoda could attack Dooku AND keep the debris from falling at the the end of AOTC? I mean he IS the Jedi Grand Master. Just some more thoughts. Darn you Andrew my sig. takes more time to load!!!

Last edited by =DEATH STAR=; 07-18-2006 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:38 PM   #11
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =DEATH STAR=
Also, don't you think that Yoda could attack Dooku AND keep the debris from falling at the the end of AOTC? I mean he IS the Jedi Grand Master. Just some more thoughts.
Dooku ran away onto his ship. Don't you remember? I'd find it hard to believe that Yoda could, in a fatigued state, hold up the debris AND chase after Dooku on his ship at the same time.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #12
Nedak
Beelzebozo

Quote:
9: Well, he is doing acceptable acting. And no I won't call him a wimp. Why do you think so?
Maybe wimp was not the right choice of words, what I mean is like when he was fighting Dooku how he lost so easly, and how it seemed that he didnt have very much faith in the rescue mission in RotS.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #13
=DEATH STAR=
Rookie

They also made the Jedi Masters(including Mace Windu) look like wimps when the attacked the chancellor. He took down all four almost at once (except Mace). Don't you think that they could have defended themselves? I mean if I look them up they have done great things.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #14
St. Jimmy

Smile

1. Yeah, but you gotta take into account the nature of all the weapons.
2. Agreed.
3. See No. 1
4. I didn't think it was too bad... but it did seem to be missing something...
5. At first he was OK but now I can only handle him in small amounts, as for taking him out... No, they just should have toned him down a bit.
6. It was all right but it would have been cool to see them do a few more military movements other than just forming up in messy ranks.
7. What PoiuyWired said.
8. Mentioning, Yes. I'm not too sure about giving backrounds to them though. It would have taken away from the rest of the movies.
9. meh. He was all right.
10. Agree with you there.
11. TK-8252 covered that.

I'm now just waiting for Kurgan to come in with a huge post. Ha!

The following tale of alien encounter is true and by true, I mean false. Its all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no.
St. Jimmy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 09:16 AM   #15
St. Jimmy

I'm not so sure he 'messed them up' in fact he did a great job! but he could have done a little better, that's all.

The following tale of alien encounter is true and by true, I mean false. Its all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
Terran I
Rookie

The New Hope is the only good movie, all others are messed up, at the end of the RotS I wondered why did I even watch Episodes 5,6,1,2,3. Episode 4 had a great, I mean perfect ending, but no sequal make so much MONEY. And St. Jimmy he did mess them up. But it still could get worse, he can make a new trilogy, I wouldn't be surprised, after all he is GL!

TERRAN REIGNS SUPREME!!!!
Terran I is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #17
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Depends... I mean those so-called Love-Story in AotC... Oh Geee... Teen-Talk Barbie have better scripts than that. I makes me think how the hack did GL pick up his wife...

Acting is horrabie on that part too, to say the least. But it takes skills to do it that bad, worse than the typical Cliche love story line even.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #18
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
They also made the Jedi Masters(including Mace Windu) look like wimps when the attacked the chancellor. He took down all four almost at once (except Mace). Don't you think that they could have defended themselves? I mean if I look them up they have done great things.
You underestimate Sidious. He managed to defeat Yoda and Mace (with help). So how are these lesser Jedi Masters supposed to stand a chance?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #19
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
I think that there should be more action in Episode I, and less romance in Episode II (between Anakin and Padme)
But the romance is one of the most important parts of the prequels, since what happened to Anakin is based largely on it. So I don't think there should really be less of it, just executed better. Romance in a film like Star Wars doesn't have to be painful. And I don't blame the actors totally for that either.

Overall, I really enjoyed the prequels (and unlike Chase I felt there was a lot more good than bad), if not as much as the originals. But then again, I never expected to.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #20
Nedak
Beelzebozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
You underestimate Sidious. He managed to defeat Yoda and Mace (with help). So how are these lesser Jedi Masters supposed to stand a chance?
But it looked so fake! All Sidious was doing was stabbing, and they died like two seconds into the fight.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #21
=DEATH STAR=
Rookie

Yeah and if it was real wouldn't the jedi masters who had survived a lot of other wars be able to block someone stabbing at them? (Lets not forget they had the force......)

Old 07-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #22
Nedak
Beelzebozo

Ya, and its not like they were attacked unexpectedly. They knew that Sidious would not just surrender himself willingly.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #23
=DEATH STAR=
Rookie

Another thing why couldn't Dooku sense that Sidious was going to betray him? I mean in the book for ROTS, Mace could sense everything that a padawan or fellow master was trying to hide from him by reaching out with the force. And when Yoda and Sidious are battling in the Senate Rotunda, Yoda should have tryed to use the force sooner. All he did was jump from place to place, dodging thing hurled at him. I think he's powerful enough to block and hurl them back at Sidious. (He did this ONCE)

Old 07-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #24
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
In regards to the "blood or gore" statement that was made, I don't wanna sound like a nerd, but it's kind of hard to show actual blood because when a laser goes through flesh it cauterizes(spelling?). For those few that aren't sure what this means, it means that a wound it closed by super-heating the flesh. This prevents bleeding...yea...sorry for that rant.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #25
Nedak
Beelzebozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by legowar
In regards to the "blood or gore" statement that was made, I don't wanna sound like a nerd, but it's kind of hard to show actual blood because when a laser goes through flesh it cauterizes(spelling?). For those few that aren't sure what this means, it means that a wound it closed by super-heating the flesh. This prevents bleeding...yea...sorry for that rant.
Ok thank you for sharing.

Another thing why couldn't Dooku sense that Sidious was going to betray
Quote:
him? I mean in the book for ROTS, Mace could sense everything that a padawan or fellow master was trying to hide from him by reaching out with the force. And when Yoda and Sidious are battling in the Senate Rotunda, Yoda should have tryed to use the force sooner. All he did was jump from place to place, dodging thing hurled at him. I think he's powerful enough to block and hurl them back at Sidious. (He did this ONCE
I agree with you DEATHSTAR. I also think that in Sidious's office that it would have been cooler if Anakin and Sidious were taking on the Jedi together, because it seemed that Mace's death was not as thrilling as it would have been if he had died in the heat of battle.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:40 AM   #26
St. Jimmy

Yeah, it would have been wicked to see him fight a decent battle vs. the emperor and Anakin. you could see his cool sabre-style compared to theirs and it would have delveloped Anakin a little more.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:06 AM   #27
=DEATH STAR=
Rookie

And another thing: when Anakin leap to kill Obi-Wan on Mustafar, don't you think that he could have 'forseen' what Obi was going to do? I mean it was a huge swing, in a way like a bat, and Anakin leap like 4 feet off the ground.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #28
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
^^^
Obi-Wan had the high ground , reminded Anakin/Vader of this fact, and advised him not to try it no less. Anakin jumped a lot higher than 4 feet during the last moments he had with his 3 remaining natural appendages, otherwise he would have jumped right into Obi-Wan. Basically Anakin/Vader arrogantly overestimated his new darkside abilities and paid a heavy price.

I liked Episodes 1-3. I think George Lucas used much the same formula as he did with the OT. I think many people's complaints about the PT stem from the fact that they were a lot younger when they saw the OT and don't take into account the fact that their tastes in movies changed between 1987 and 1999.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #29
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Hey no problem...always glad to share my knowledge...

(yes I know your thanks was sarcastic...)

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #30
Nedak
Beelzebozo

Quote:
And another thing: when Anakin leap to kill Obi-Wan on Mustafar, don't you think that he could have 'forseen' what Obi was going to do? I mean it was a huge swing, in a way like a bat, and Anakin leap like 4 feet off the ground.
I also think that Anakin's rage was probably preventing him from thinking straight.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #31
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, I do think the Palpy ganking scene is a bit cheesy. Sure he is powerful, lot more powerful then the jedi masters save Mace, but you would think them jedis would at least be able to block a few hits before going down. I mean even a lucky morgukai have a chance of blocking a hit or two, not to mention jedi masters. And yes, Mace make funny faces before he die...

As for Love Scene, if they can't do it nice, then keep it short. Long bad scenes have adverse effect to the whole story. Its like, if you can't have a good line, just don't say it. I find that a few of the scenes would look/work better if you can mute the dialogue, leaving just the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legowar
That does not prevent people from crushed by random objects, or blown into pieces, or half molten by turbo-laser, or... you get the picture.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #32
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I liked the prequels. He may have made a mistake on some of te characters and scenes, but he still did a good job.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #33
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
That does not prevent people from crushed by random objects, or blown into pieces, or half molten by turbo-laser, or... you get the picture.
Strange, I never remember any of these things happening in the movies. Sorry.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #34
Nedak
Beelzebozo

^ Well when Obi-wan was thrown across the room and Dooku moved the big thingy mabob on him.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:14 AM   #35
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
well, obviously Obi Wan coudnt have been crushed, or 4,5 and 6 would have been screwed.

Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #36
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
^ Well when Obi-wan was thrown across the room and Dooku moved the big thingy mabob on him.
So having a big heavy thing on top of you now makes you burst into pieces? Since when? Usually when someone is pinned down by a heavy thing, they get mad bruises, but don't bleed like they got shot.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #37
Nedak
Beelzebozo

Yes of course but somthing sharp had to atleast give him a gash on his leg. And right after he 'woke up' he got up and started walking, like nothing happend; took on Grevious,ect.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #38
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Yes of course but somthing sharp had to atleast give him a gash on his leg.
You don't know that.

Quote:
And right after he 'woke up' he got up and started walking, like nothing happend; took on Grevious,ect.
Which shows that no real damage was done. He was knocked out for a while. That's about it. No point in showing blood.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #39
Nedak
Beelzebozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Which shows that no real damage was done. He was knocked out for a while. That's about it. No point in showing blood.
Did Obi-Wans head actualy even hit the ground? It looked like he hit the ground and his head landed on his arm.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #40
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Did Obi-Wans head actualy even hit the ground? It looked like he hit the ground and his head landed on his arm.
Hmm... so I guess then he decided to take a refreshing nap on Grevious's command ship right in the middle of a war.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Did GL mess up Prequels?