lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What are y'all opinions on the FCC?
I hate it; time to take it outback and have it shot 3 20.00%
It's ok 3 20.00%
We need the FCC; for balance or to protect children's innocence 8 53.33%
It's got to go 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Ok, what are y'all opinions on the FCC
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Question Ok, what are y'all opinions on the FCC

My opinion, I hate it; the censors are getting annoying now, I am tired of blurry images and beep noises.
Also whatever else those free speech opponents come up with, for censoring TV programs.
I know the FCC is there to possibly keep those racist neo-Nazis, which I despise from broadcasting their hate on public channels.
But, for TV and radio it is getting tiresome.
If it wasn't for those f**king neo-Nazis, I would say DESTROY THE FCC, NOW.

Opinions people ?
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
As the parent of young kids, I say keep the FCC. It's the only thing keeping some of the crap off the radio/TV. My kids don't need to see sex and hear the f-bomb every other word, and that's what it'd degenerate to in the US without some kind of control, because the media likes to push the envelope (e.g. the famous 'wardrobe malfunction incident'). They'll get exposed to plenty enough unfortunately as they get older anyway. I'd like them to have their innocence for a little longer.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
The Source
Rest In Peace
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,304
Contest winner - Modding 
^^^
I agree. As long as they don't go too extreme, I am satisfied with how the FCC is handling things. For now anyway.



R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
As long as this doesn't happen:



and HBO is around, I'm okay with the FCC.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Keeping children innocent is more important than some adults getting annoyed.

Heck, even if there were no children, I'd keep it. Television is trashy enough already.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
I think I'd much prefer the FCC to the Parents Television Committee, whose sole aim seems to be the destruction of most broadcast television. I read up on these people and not only do they employ McCarthy like tactics (such as Communist scare campaign style attacks on programes they find repulsive and the dreaded black lists) their head, Brent Bozell, is even the grandson of Joe McCarthy's speech writer. A couple of things the PTC have done include smear campaigns and lies against certain shows and threatening the sponsers of certain shows, such as when they threatened to accuse those who advertised on WWE programming of being baby killers and hold them personally responsible for every child injured or killed as a result of doing something that may have been broadcast on the wrestling.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Keeping children innocent is more important than some adults getting annoyed.

Heck, even if there were no children, I'd keep it. Television is trashy enough already.
I thought that you don't like or watch television, Devon.
Unless, you've change your mind?
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
As the parent of young kids, I say keep the FCC. It's the only thing keeping some of the crap off the radio/TV. My kids don't need to see sex and hear the f-bomb every other word, and that's what it'd degenerate to in the US without some kind of control, because the media likes to push the envelope (e.g. the famous 'wardrobe malfunction incident'). They'll get exposed to plenty enough unfortunately as they get older anyway. I'd like them to have their innocence for a little longer.
Well, that is bias, Jae.
But of course, this going to be expected from parents like you.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
I thought that you don't like or watch television, Devon.
I don't. That doesn't mean I still can't think it's trashy or that it should be regulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Well, that is bias, Jae.
But of course, this going to be expected from parents like you.
Bias? For crying out loud, that's being a decent parent. What kind of a mother would let her kids watch obscene material on TV? Heck, you don't even have to be one to be repulsed at the idea of children swearing and talking about sex.

Might I ask why you want to hear swear words and see disgusting images in the first place?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I don't. That doesn't mean I still can't think it's trashy or that it should be regulated.
Yeah, whatever !


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Bias? For crying out loud, that's being a decent parent. What kind of a mother would let her kids watch obscene material on TV? Heck, you don't even have to be one to be repulsed at the idea of children swearing and talking about sex.
Hey! Hey! Calm down, Devon!
I'm being neutral here, I'm not attacking Jae.
Well, I guess I shouldn't have said bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Might I ask why you want to hear swear words and see disgusting images in the first place?
Because I don't like censors in my TV programs, unless it's censoring that neo-Nazi s**t.

Last edited by windu6; 11-18-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #11
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Bias? For crying out loud, that's being a decent parent. What kind of a mother would let her kids watch obscene material on TV? Heck, you don't even have to be one to be repulsed at the idea of children swearing and talking about sex.
Parental controls are always a plausible alternative to the FCC. Setting a password and blocking all but a few channels isn't all that difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Might I ask why you want to hear swear words and see disgusting images in the first place?
Who says they're disgusting images? When someone on TV flips someone off their hand is censored, nothing disgusting about that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
(e.g. the famous 'wardrobe malfunction incident')
I just noticed that part of your post. And, if you're referring to Justin Timberlake pulling Janet Jackson's breast out for a fraction of a second (and this could have easily been missed if you say, sneezed or something), what about all the other bull**** being advertised during the Superbowl? Alcohol, erectile dysfunction pills, and commercials with supermodels washing cars or shaking their asses to advertise whatever stupid bull**** a drunken sports fan may be suckered into buying. Oh, and did you hear? The woman with herpes prancing through the wheat field and rock climbing wants your kids to ask their pediatrician about prescription-only Valtrex or whatever-the-****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Because don't like censors in my TV programs, unless it's censoring that neo-Nazi s**t.
The 1st Amendment doesn't contain a clause saying "except for the neo-Nazi ****". Free speech should be granted to all, and if you don't like what someone's saying, turn the channel. That whole argument would be better suited to a topic on free speech in general however.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
Parental controls are always a plausible alternative to the FCC. Setting a password and blocking all but a few channels isn't all that difficult.
Wouldn't have worked for the 'wardrobe malfunction' incident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
Who says they're disgusting images? When someone on TV flips someone off their hand is censored, nothing disgusting about that.
I don't want to see two people going at it in glorious detail. I sure don't want my kids seeing it. There's absolutely no reason, outside of education, for children to be seeing anything about sex and nudity, hearing swearing, or seeing extreme violence. When I was growing up (yes, when rocks were soft and dirt was in beta-testing), they didn't have nearly the amount of sex, violence, and off-color language that they have now. You know what? I never missed the sex, violence, naked people, and swear words. In fact, I wish they'd go back to that--I prefer things to be left to my imagination rather than have it crudely spoon-fed to me. What does use of an expletive prove other than someone doesn't have enough creativity to come up with something unique?
Frankly, if the networks want to keep me as a viewer (and if the sponsors want to keep me watching their ads), they need to clean up a lot of garbage and quit showing some of the obnoxious, mind-numbing programs that are on currently. I don't feel good about my kids watching most of the stuff that's on network TV now. We end up watching TVLand, the Hallmark Channel, Animal Planet, and Disney Channel because I know most of those programs are going to be 'clean' and safe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
I just noticed that part of your post. And, if you're referring to Justin Timberlake pulling Janet Jackson's breast out for a fraction of a second (and this could have easily been missed if you say, sneezed or something), what about all the other bull**** being advertised during the Superbowl? Alcohol, erectile dysfunction pills, and commercials with supermodels washing cars or shaking their asses to advertise whatever stupid bull**** a drunken sports fan may be suckered into buying. Oh, and did you hear? The woman with herpes prancing through the wheat field and rock climbing wants your kids to ask their pediatrician about prescription-only Valtrex or whatever-the-****.
Actually, as soon as we saw the first 30 seconds of that particular Superbowl half-time show, we thought it was offensive enough that we actually sent the kids out of the room, and I went in the kitchen to do some other things. They, fortunately, did not see Janet's breast. I think a lot of the ads have gone way too far, too, which is another reason why I don't let the kids watch much network TV. I found the 'wardrobe malfunction' so offensive because a. it wasn't censored (and everyone knew about a week prior that Janet 'had a plan'--this should have been a Big Clue to the FCC) and b. it was done intentionally on a show they knew would have children watching. Further, I as a parent had absolutely no warning about the content of that entire half-time show--there was no rating giving any kind of warning on what would happen that night.
I thought it was irresponsible and selfish of Justin and Janet to do that. I would have been far more impressed if she'd put more work into her singing instead of how her chest protector could be artlessly ripped apart. However, I agree that a lot of the ads also need to be toned down. I'm liking the idea of Tivo more and more....

If the parental controls worked well every single time something offensive came on, we wouldn't need the FCC. However, there needs to be some place to set the bar for shows that kids are going to watch, and consequences for when a network violates the rules, hence the need for the FCC.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #13
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
The 1st Amendment doesn't contain a clause saying "except for the neo-Nazi ****". Free speech should be granted to all, and if you don't like what someone's saying, turn the channel. That whole argument would be better suited to a topic on free speech in general however.
I remember hearing about an issue of Supergirl where there's a Nazi speaker that she defends the right to freedom of speech. She gets into a confrontation with Steel over it (the lines, from memory, are Stell saying during their fight "You wear the S and stand for intolerence?" to which Supergirl replies "I fight for ideas. Who's to judge what ideas are allowed? You? Me?") I know I'd be against the idea of Nazism in a second but for many the reprehensible acts they committed and ideas they have versus the right to free speech is a source of conflict for many.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 12:26 AM   #14
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Actually, as soon as we saw the first 30 seconds of that particular Superbowl half-time show, we thought it was offensive enough that we actually sent the kids out of the room, and I went in the kitchen to do some other things. They, fortunately, did not see Janet's breast. I think a lot of the ads have gone way too far, too, which is another reason why I don't let the kids watch much network TV. I found the 'wardrobe malfunction' so offensive because a. it wasn't censored (and everyone knew about a week prior that Janet 'had a plan'--this should have been a Big Clue to the FCC) and b. it was done intentionally on a show they knew would have children watching. Further, I as a parent had absolutely no warning about the content of that entire half-time show--there was no rating giving any kind of warning on what would happen that night.
I thought it was irresponsible and selfish of Justin and Janet to do that. I would have been far more impressed if she'd put more work into her singing instead of how her chest protector could be artlessly ripped apart. However, I agree that a lot of the ads also need to be toned down. I'm liking the idea of Tivo more and more....

If the parental controls worked well every single time something offensive came on, we wouldn't need the FCC. However, there needs to be some place to set the bar for shows that kids are going to watch, and consequences for when a network violates the rules, hence the need for the FCC.
I'm just going to have to be bias here.
What is the big deal with Janet breast showing at the Surperbowl half-time show , I mean come on, Jae they couldn't censor it because it was live and the breast pop out was an unplanned event.
All that damn complaining by people was ridiculous.
It's like she had strip butt naked; the way people was complaining.
Also I don't think there was some kind of conspiracy, for her to show one breast.


You just going to have to hate me here, Jae.
I'm sorry, because I had to respond to your comments.

Last edited by windu6; 11-19-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 01:10 AM   #15
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Was it a planned event? She said she had a plan and how Justin Timberlake came up behind her and pulled off the bra, well I think it's quite obviously a stunt to get attention.

@Jae, I said before somewhere that people have a right to watch anything they like regardless of what it is. If your local TV station were to broadcast 8MM or Wolf Creek, uncensored, people have a right to see it if they want to. With that said however, there's the responsibility of the people who make these films, shows and radio programes, those who sell and broadcast them, as well as parents themselves to keep material that might be harmful to kids out of their hands. Scream, for example, gave my niece nightmares after she saw the big where the girl was murdered and hung from a tree. Children can also be more easily influenced by what they see, although that may go beyond what effect these things have on people and into there being something wrong with the individual, this is especially true for cases like a grown man going on a crime spree and then say 'well Grand Theft Auto made me do it.' With the oversexualisation of women in ads, and to some extent in films, television and video games as well, I agree that it's wrong for them to do so. Not only is it a cheap cop out ('this game has chicks with big tits, it must be good') but aside from the effects it has on children, it treats women as objects, sexual objects. I see some of the advertisments and programming they have on and am disgusted at the exploitation that goes on there.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #16
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Yeah, whatever !
With logic like that, I shouldn't pay attention to events I won't witness or read about things I'll never experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Well, I guess I shouldn't have said bias.
No, your disregard for children simply sparked my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Because I don't like censors in my TV programs,
So you don't mind seeing nudity, sexuality, or the other seedier aspects of society on your television?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 01:27 AM   #17
DarthAve
Yeezy
 
DarthAve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbus
Posts: 13,425
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
censorship is a very touchy issue to me, considering I work for a newspaper for teenagers. All the stories are censored to be 'school appropriate'. I wrote this artical on death, that was like 10 small paragraphs that told basically how we're all gonna go someday and that we need to cherish life. Half of it was considered unfit and was cut. I was only teeny bit pissed because the stuff that got cut was the stuff that had the message to it.

And on the censoring television, keep it. There's NO WAY I want to see fat naked austrailian guy from that episode of SFU. I think they're doing a decent job. Because I certainly lost my innocents around preteenness when I started watching the shows on murders and staying up late on weekends to watch movies that were rated R on TV. (My second fave movie is Silence of the Lambs, saw it around 12 years old) So my view, keep them, just be careful...
DarthAve is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 01:31 AM   #18
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
The 1st Amendment doesn't contain a clause saying "except for the neo-Nazi ****". Free speech should be granted to all, and if you don't like what someone's saying, turn the channel. That whole argument would be better suited to a topic on free speech in general however.
Well, in my bias opinion, those people preach hate and racism.
So, I will continue to say, oh hell nah.
To that freedom of speech argument.
I really hate skinhead white supremacists.
I can't be objective with the holocaust on my mind.
That those people demean with their strategy of hate.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 01:41 AM   #19
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
So you don't mind seeing nudity, sexuality, or the other seedier aspects of society on your television?
Of course I don't mind seeing, nudity and sexuality.
Well, because I'm a man.
Of course, the nudity and sexuality of women.

I'm a man, what else did you thought I was going to say?

Also those damn cursing censors have to go too.
Come on, it is just words, people.

Last edited by windu6; 11-19-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #20
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
So you don't mind seeing nudity [...]
No. And as for the record, neither do children.

Quote:
[...] sexuality, or the other seedier aspects of society on your television?
Nope. If two people have sex, so what? I've seen far worse things both in movies and reality than a couple acting out their love.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #21
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
As flawed as the FCC and CRTC are, there has to be some authority over broadcast tv outlets to regulate content and standards. That being said, I also think there should be some channels like my beloved HBO where its assumed that adult content will be just that--content intended for adult minds to comprehend and appreciate, and not just sex or swearing. I'm an adult, and I want programming that hasn't been censored or dumbed down to suit the Sesame Street crowd when I want to watch it. In my house, my wife and I are the parental controls. Clockwork Orange is my favourite movie, and OZ is my favourite show, but we don't watch them with our daughter. Besides, if she did see them, she'd probably find them too disturbing and/or boring to hold her interest, so she'd just turn them off and go watch Teen Titans or something. But yes, they shouldn't be on during after school special hours, and there has to be some regulatory body to enforce that, so yes, keep the FCC and CRTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
I found the 'wardrobe malfunction' so offensive because a. it wasn't censored (and everyone knew about a week prior that Janet 'had a plan'--this should have been a Big Clue to the FCC) and b. it was done intentionally on a show they knew would have children watching. Further, I as a parent had absolutely no warning about the content of that entire half-time show--there was no rating giving any kind of warning on what would happen that night.
That Janet Jackson thing has got to be the single most overblown, overhyped, hand-wringing non-event in the history of television. I mean, c'mon. You see more skin in perfume commercials for god's sake. Americans are hilarious: "A boobie! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #22
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
That Janet Jackson thing has got to be the single most overblown, overhyped, hand-wringing non-event in the history of television.


Quote:
b. it was done intentionally on a show they knew would have children watching.
And again, I've never, ever heard of a child taking damage from seeing a nipple, vagina, anus, or penis. Ever.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #23
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
That Janet Jackson thing has got to be the single most overblown, overhyped, hand-wringing non-event in the history of television. I mean, c'mon. You see more skin in perfume commercials for god's sake. Americans are hilarious: "A boobie! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"
It wasn't the breast itself that was the problem--I've seen a zillion naked parts so that wasn't what got me. I'm not particularly worried if my kids see the human body (there actually is a difference between being socially conservative and being prudes ). It was the fact that there was no warning, and the censors obviously didn't have the time delay in place to blot it out. If I'd gotten the warning 'brief nudity during the half time show', I would have had far less of a problem with it, though I certainly would have questioned the NFL's decision to allow something like that on a show intended to be watched by families and the FCC's decision to allow it. With the warning in place, I would have at least had the opportunity to decide whether or not my family would watch it. Without the warning in place, I was given no option to make that decision--that's what I object to, not the breast itself.
There are some things that kids, especially young kids, should not be watching because they aren't developed enough cognitively to handle those kinds of images. Obviously, that's going to be different for each individual child, but there is a general average range of development that works, and the standards need to be geared towards that for network TV shown at times where kids are most likely to watch TV. Since it's very obvious that a lot of the media could care less about children's needs in their quest for the almighty dollar/currency of your choice, it's the government's job to regulate the industry to some extent so that we don't have shows/images/language that can affect children at the times they're likely to be viewing shows.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #24
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Let's remember a few funny things:

Almost ALL of the complaints for that incident (and for the entire year) came from one organization. In fact, 99.8 percent of them were from the Parents Television Council. There are 300 million people in the US. Nearly half of those watched the Super Bowl, and pretty much everyone heard about Janet's trick. There are less than 1 million people in the PTC.

lol, I DARESAY the American people in general consider this a extreme problem.

Why wouldn't you just not watch the channels that you don't agree with? If they allow spontaneous things like Jackson, don't watch them. If enough people care about such incidents, the channel will censor itself in order to keep viewers. If not enough people care, well, you didn't really lose anything by not watching (and of course, the channel would actually reflect the opinion of the populace, not one, single group that accounts for less than 1 person in 300).

I don't watch TV ever anyway; it's a complete waste of time. I could be playing video games, reading books, or doing something else.

What makes this even more entertaining though is the fact that most of the people who want this sort of censorship also support abstinence. If you expect children to follow that, then I expect adults to at least be able to turn off the freaking TV if you don't like what's on it. Seriously.


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein

Last edited by Samuel Dravis; 11-19-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #25
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
If anyone is relying on a government organization to help raise your children, lord help you.
TK-8252 is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #26
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
Why wouldn't you just not watch the channels that you don't agree with? If they allow spontaneous things like Jackson, don't watch them. If enough people care about such incidents, the channel will censor itself in order to keep viewers. If not enough people care, well, you didn't really lose anything by not watching (and of course, the channel would actually reflect the opinion of the populace, not one, single group that accounts for less than 1 person in 300).
The Superbowl was on one of those channels where they generally don't allow unclad flesh dumplings on during primetime without posting warnings every 30 seconds. It's one of those "Star-Spangled Mom eating apple pie and freedom fries while driving a Ford truck over Osama bin Laden's balls on her way to Church" channels , which IMHO is why the freaked-out-by-a-flash-of-a-boob crowd reacted the way they did. That little Johnny and Sally might spy a split-second flash of a partially uncovered breast during that most wholesome and revered of American institutions, The Superbowl, struck them as a betrayal of their trust in American tv and the unspoken bond between meathead parent and the television stations they rely on to raise their children for them. Thus, the most collossal mountain ever made from a molehill was born.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #27
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Of course I don't mind seeing, nudity and sexuality.
Well, because I'm a man.
So am I... That still doesn't prevent me from thinking that private areas should only be seen in private places.

Victorian morality aside, how can you justify airing something to slake your own lusts at the expense of a child's innocence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Also those damn cursing censors have to go too.
Come on, it is just words, people.
And you wouldn't mind it if a kid said "Aw, go **** yourself, they're just a mother ****in' load of some god damn words, do you gest the gist, ya ****er?"

I would be unimpressed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #28
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
The Superbowl was on one of those channels where they generally don't allow unclad flesh dumplings on during primetime without posting warnings every 30 seconds. It's one of those "Star-Spangled Mom eating apple pie and freedom fries while driving a Ford truck over Osama bin Laden's balls on her way to Church" channels , which IMHO is why the freaked-out-by-a-flash-of-a-boob crowd reacted the way they did. That little Johnny and Sally might spy a split-second flash of a partially uncovered breast during that most wholesome and revered of American institutions, The Superbowl, struck them as a betrayal of their trust in American tv and the unspoken bond between meathead parent and the television stations they rely on to raise their children for them. Thus, the most collossal mountain ever made from a molehill was born.
You see, I don't buy the proposal that they were betrayed. The other ads were not exactly targeting younger viewers, and it's fairly easy to figure out that they weren't and take appropriate action. Besides, if they were truly angry about it, wouldn't they have complained? But wait - they didn't complain. The complaints that were filed virtually all came from organization whose members would probably think about forbidding their children from taking a life drawing class simply because it would involve nudity...


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #29
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
There are some things that kids, especially young kids, should not be watching because they aren't developed enough cognitively to handle those kinds of images.
And with respect, nudity is not among them.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #30
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
So am I... That still doesn't prevent me from thinking that private areas should only be seen in private places.

Victorian morality aside, how can you justify airing something to slake your own lusts at the expense of a child's innocence?
What the children sees depends on the responsibilty of the parents.
If they aren't vigilant enough of the child, then they will have to deal with the effect.



Quote:
And you wouldn't mind it if a kid said "Aw, go **** yourself, they're just a mother ****in' load of some god damn words, do you gest the gist, ya ****er?"

I would be unimpressed.
I have a little cousin who have been cursing
since she was 3 years old, I don't mind and neither do her mother.
It's natural in my family to be submerge in curse words.
We don't panic when we hear curse words or curse words from the children in my family.
It's ridiculous to do so.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #31
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
What the children sees depends on the responsibilty of the parents.
Not totally. There's the 'wardrobe malfunction' incident Jae mentioned, and other factors. What if the kid turns on the TV when his/her parents aren't in the room? They're not supernatural. Children can't be monitored day and night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
If they aren't vigilant enough of the child, then they will have to deal with the effect.
That logic is certainly inconsistent with some of your views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
I have a little cousin who have been cursing since she was 3 years old, I don't mind and neither do her mother.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #32
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
You see, I don't buy the proposal that they were betrayed. The other ads were not exactly targeting younger viewers, and it's fairly easy to figure out that they weren't and take appropriate action. Besides, if they were truly angry about it, wouldn't they have complained? But wait - they didn't complain. The complaints that were filed virtually all came from organization whose members would probably think about forbidding their children from taking a life drawing class simply because it would involve nudity...
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the overreactive outrage was justified or that the militant response was due to some grassroots upswell or something. My last post was pretty much my facetious way of showing contempt for the idiots who expect a tv to raise their child and instill healthy values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
I have a little cousin who have been cursing
since she was 3 years old, I don't mind and neither do her mother.
It's natural in my family to be submerge in curse words.
We don't panic when we hear curse words or curse words from the children in my family.
That's seriously messed up, dude. One thing I always make a conscious effort never to do is swear in front of my kid. IMHO, kids that run around like, "F**k you, f**k me, f**kin' this, f**kin' that, f**kin' the other thing" just screams poor, low-class, uneducated, poorly-raised brat. Now, I watch shows like the Sopranos and various others where total swearing is quite commonplace, but it's the fact that I and my wife (generally) don't use swearwords with our kid around is why she doesn't use them either. At least she sure as bloody well doesn't with me around.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #33
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Not totally. There's the 'wardrobe malfunction' incident Jae mentioned, and other factors. What if the kid turns on the TV when his/her parents aren't in the room? They're not supernatural. Children can't be monitored day and night.
Of course, they can't be watch 24/7.
Also that so called 'wardrobe malfunction' that you and Jae call it.
Was a random event.
Only precogs could predict the event.
There was no need for the big out cry, that occurred.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
That logic is certainly inconsistent with some of your views...
What do you mean ?
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #34
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Also that so called 'wardrobe malfunction' that you and Jae call it was a random event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
What the children sees depends on the responsibilty of the parents.
If it was a random event, I don't think the responsibility of the parents was a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
What do you mean ?
The statement "If they aren't vigilant enough of the child, then they will have to deal with the effect," implies that if a parent couldn't prevent something they deserved it, correct?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #35
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
If it was a random event, I don't think the responsibility of the parents was a factor.
The statement "If they aren't vigilant enough of the child, then they will have to deal with the effect," implies that if a parent couldn't prevent something they deserved it, correct?
I mean they deserved not to be complaining at the networks, about their limited censors on their TV programs.
Especially on a live broadcast signal.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #36
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
Let's remember a few funny things:

Almost ALL of the complaints for that incident (and for the entire year) came from one organization. In fact, 99.8 percent of them were from the Parents Television Council. There are 300 million people in the US. Nearly half of those watched the Super Bowl, and pretty much everyone heard about Janet's trick. There are less than 1 million people in the PTC.
See my comments earlier on the PTC. Also, to put some perspective on how they are, PTC head Brent Bozell, well his father (not grandfather as I previously stated) was a speechwriter for McCarthy, as I said. Well, Bozell senior strongly supported a preemptive nuclear attack on Moscow, not seeming to be able to realise that there were innocent people there. Nor did he apparently realise that the Soviets would burn America and the West in a sea of nuclear fire as retalliation. Remember the nuclear standoff and mutually assured destruction in the event of a nuclear attack? This would've qualified more than anything in Cuba, Afghanistan or anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
If anyone is relying on a government organization to help raise your children, lord help you.
Quoted for truth. You're a ****wit if you do this and have no right to be raising kids.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #37
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Also that so called 'wardrobe malfunction' that you and Jae call it. Was a random event. Only precogs could predict the event.
Jackson and Timberlake admitted that it was pre-planned. If there'd been the 6-second delay that that they now have, it would have been censored out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
What the children sees depends on the responsibilty of the parents. If they aren't vigilant enough of the child, then they will have to deal with the effect.
Absolutely it's the parents' responsibility. However, I can't make a judgment on a show if I'm not given an adequate warning, and I wasn't in that particular case, which is what I objected to far more than the breast thing itself. I would have been just as offended if a penis suddenly showed up on Spongebob Squarepants.

About the swearing--for the most part (there are obvious exceptions), swearing is not an asset to a person, it's a detriment, and mom is doing your cousin no favors by encouraging/allowing her to swear at that young of an age.

If you're working in a service business like I do, having an employee use a lot of swear words can be very damaging to the business. If I have 2 equally qualified candidates for a job, and all things are equal except one swears and the other doesn't, I'm going to hire the one that doesn't swear in order to reduce the risk of foul language offending some of my customers. I swore like one of the saltiest sailors when I was in school, but that stopped as soon as I got my first job after school, and even while I was in school, I didn't swear when I was working at the Children's hospital. Patients just don't like hearing people saying 'F--- this, you sh!thead a--hole!' in a doctor's office, and it's more important to keep the patients (and thus the business) than it is for me to swear.

@TK--I'm not depending on the government to raise my kids--good heavans, that'd be a disaster. However, I do expect them to regulate some things. The government may not always have the best interests of children at heart, but a large chunk of the media definitely doesn't care what kids see/don't see as long as they can make a buck. The government is actually doing something useful by putting some regulations in place to protect kids, because it's quite obvious the media's not going to police itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Dravis
Besides, if they were truly angry about it, wouldn't they have complained? But wait - they didn't complain.
I did complain. And no, I'm not a member of PTC, and if my kids want to take a life drawing class or look at books of anatomy, that's fine with me, though they're a little too young right now. 'Life drawing' consists of stick people at the moment. Again, it wasn't the anatomy--it was the lack of warning.

And believe me, I turn off a lot of TV shows that I find offensive. I don't let my kids watch any of the CSIs for instance--way too graphic/violent for their age and some of the subject matter (e.g. the dominitrix episode) is clearly inappropriate for a child.
Abstinence--my stance on that is related primarily to disease transmission rather than morality.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
And with respect, nudity is not among them.
If nudity weren't treated as a completely sexual issue in the US, then it wouldn't be an issue for me at all, either. Jimbo and I have both worked in the med field for a long time and have been married 16 years--obviously nudity isn't a big deal to us since we've seen a lot of it, and a body's a body's a body, no offense to those of you who think you're physically magnificent. It is, however, a big issue to a lot of other Americans, and how it's treated in the US media is a big deal. You don't see breasts/genitalia on US TV for breastfeeding or other natural functions. You see breasts/genitalia on TV in the US only when people are having sex (or nearly so), unless you're on the Discovery or medical/science channels for a documentary on birthing or breastfeeding. It's a quirk of US culture and not likely to change in the near future until the US mindset gets over the idea that the sex organs always = sex. In the meantime, modesty isn't a bad thing. Even if someone has the right to walk around naked, it doesn't mean the rest of us want to have our eyes assaulted with that shriveled up, wrinkly old thing.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 11-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #38
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
That's seriously messed up, dude. One thing I always make a conscious effort never to do is swear in front of my kid. IMHO, kids that run around like, "F**k you, f**k me, f**kin' this, f**kin' that, f**kin' the other thing" just screams poor, low-class, uneducated, poorly-raised brat. Now, I watch shows like the Sopranos and various others where total swearing is quite commonplace, but it's the fact that I and my wife (generally) don't use swearwords with our kid around is why she doesn't use them either. At least she sure as bloody well doesn't with me around.
You got it wrong on the poorly-raised brat statement.
My cousin is not a brat, she is quite intelligent, but she will surely kick the ass of someone who will ever f**k with her.
Also, what the hell do you mean by poor, low-class and uneducated ?
Because my family curses we suppose to be stupid an of low-class.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 12:05 AM   #39
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
I mean they deserved not to be complaining at the networks, about their limited censors on their TV programs.
They certainly do deserve to. Parents can't always be around to stop kids from turning on the TV, and they can't do anything when not warned beforehand about the content in a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Also, what the hell do you mean by poor, low-class and uneducated ?
From my experience, the use of profanity shows a lack of ability say things in an articulate and intelligent manner.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 12:29 AM   #40
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon


From my experience, the use of profanity shows a lack of ability say things in an articulate and intelligent manner.
Your relative experience!
Don't tell me Devon that you are saying, people aren't intelligent enough to speak properly, because they curse a lot.
You know, you are sounding like that guy, Spider AL.
Who have been always calling me a f**king troll all the f**king time.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Ok, what are y'all opinions on the FCC

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.