lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: MC: AOTE: Fraught With Disappointment
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #641
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
As everybody left the medbay except for Jeez and Ryshana, the two of them looked at each other briefly and smiled. "Well, I guess I had better get that door fixed," Jeez stated.

"Don't hurt yourself this time," Ryshana teased with a grin as she watched him get up from the floor.

"Hey, now my skills with a hydrospanner have seriously improved while we were separated. Just you wait and see," Jeez said as he walked over to the door control panel. Taking a good look at the wiring, Jeez took the time to figure out how everything went together with the wiring and the control panel. "Hmm, looks like she bypassed the security lockout... No, there's more to it than that... Yeah, see now I'm impressed."

"What is it?" Ryshana asked.

"Well, there's a failsafe that will keep the door locked even when the power is disconnected that can only be disabled from the room side or by a specialized analog code on this side. She was able to disconnect the power to the main lock thus enabling the failsafe. However, she was then able to rewire the circuitry to activate the analog code. Once she had the code, all she had to do was to use a datapad to reproduce the code and the door was unlocked.

Quite clever, but I have a funny feeling that we should keep this to ourselves," Jeez commented.

Smiling as she stood up, Ryshana nodded her head in agreement as she walked over to prepare the bed for the night. After a while, Jeez then shut the door and reopened it. "Did you fix it?" she asked.

"Almost. I just need to replace the main panel here, and we'll be all set for the night. Except that I need a good showering to clean up," Jeez responded as he carefully fit the panel back in place. As he replaced the fasteners, Ryshana carefully sat down on the bed and waited for him.

Finally, Jeez walked through the door and then closed it behind him. "Well, that wasn't too difficult. The hard part is always getting the door to open as opposed to just fixing the door. Oh well, I'm heading for the showers. Care to join me?"

Smiling, Ryshana stood up beside him and kissed him lightly on the lips. "I've been ready."

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #642
starmark2k
Someone's Worse Nightmare

LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
((OCC- Well i'm guessing we needto move on so here's a bit on Kriss.))

Captain Kriss Raikellii sat on his chair looking out of the large viewing window inside his office, morning had just broke on the prison facility on the planet in front of his eyes and a new day had dawned. This day was to be very interesting indeed for the man who had spent the last nine years seeking his own brother and revenge.

Initially joining the Empire was not art of his plans but after months of getting no leads an Imperial recruiter came looking for men with military experience to help lead the Forces. Kriss had been a member of the NSF all his life and the transition was surprisingly easy considering he once defended democracy and peace, but now he supported Subjugation and tyranny. He knew this, he was not as foolish as those young men who joined the Empire believing the Lies of propaganda, but he did not care, one thing ruled his life, Hate.

He rose through the ranks of the Imperial navy due to his uncompromising attitude towards the order he was given, if he was asked to do something immoral he would do it no question. He was also more intelligent than most officers and led many tactical victories against the enemies of the Empire.

Two years he had been in command of this Dreadnaught and had been on many missions, all the time using the resources available to him in his search. Nothing ever came of it though he found no race of Simon or any one matching his description, not until he came across the small Freighter holding a Nic White. The same name of the man he had killed all those years ago to protect his brother’s life, the biggest regret of his life.

Captain Raikellii now watched the calm before the storm would begin, already stormtroopers had been dispatched the prison for Admiral Quitaan’s sister. He had his brother in custody and sometime today the Echo will return to this system, then be destroyed before Simon’s eyes. Then there’s the Admiral’s sister, one who Nic seems to have feelings for, the eye for the eye, the tooth for the tooth, Although complicated. He can’t just kill her, not with the admiral around, no this needs to be done with more subtlety, more panache.

The day is going to be very interesting indeed.
starmark2k is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #643
Grace
Forumite

The Echo flew through hyperspace toward its destination, but other than the sounds the ship made as it worked, there was near silence. Reibe meditated in the cargo bay; Jack sat at his usual post up in the cockpit. Cloud made himself busy in the engine room; Jana paced restlessly on the catwalk over the cargo bay.

"Come down to me, Jana," Reibe said finally. Jana obeyed in silence and Reibe stood to face her. "Your training is progressing just as quickly as my primary training did, Jana. It's time to continue."

"Primary training?" Jana asked.

"Surely you remember the legends I used to tell you," Reibe said. "The Sith Hunters?"

"I remember they portrayed the leader, Reibe Vailar as a woman with the fiery temperament of a krayt dragon and the strength of a rancor," Jana observed. Reibe smiled faintly.

"Exaggerations," she said. "But this much was true; our training took place over a period of two weeks. You're picking it up much quicker than we did because you form a temporary connection with every Force sensitive you meet. Some of their surface memories and muscle memory transfers to you. It makes your training easier and faster."

"Why does this happen?" Jana wondered.

"You're like a magnet to the Force," Reibe explained. "Force sensitives are drawn to you, they interact with you, and they leave behind a portion of their knowledge, of their experience. Just being around me, you have picked up some of my movements. For example... if I do this..." She thrust her left hand forward and Jana fluidly deflected the attack.

"That's just prior fight training," Jana protested. "TCTA."

Reibe smiled faintly and tossed one of her lightsaber hilts to Jana. "This is not a weapon you are familiar with..." The snap-hiss of an activating lightsaber echoed through the cargo bay and Reibe smiled. "Or aren't you?"

Jana regarded the emerald blade sprouting from the hilt in her hand with a sort of detached curiosity. "Never used one, no."

Reibe switched on the brilliant violet blade she still held and began circling Jana. "Then you should find it awkward, difficult to handle, should you not?"

"That would be most likely," Jana agreed. Reibe brought her saber around in a twirling motion, aiming for Jana's legs. Jana called on the Force, jumping lightly over the incoming blade, but Reibe did not stop spinning. As Jana landed on her feet, Reibe's blade came around again, this time toward Jana's waist. She moved her saber ever so slightly and Reibe's violet blade came to an abrupt halt, clashing against the emerald beam in Jana's hand.

"But that was an easy attack," Reibe commented. "Anyone who'd been trained to use a vibroblade could have blocked that. Try something a little harder."

She attacked, driving a flurry of blows at Jana from all directions. Jana ducked and twisted out of some of the attacks, but gradually, she blocked more and more of them. All the while, she was being driven back, but even her backward motion was slowing. Then, their sabers locked. Though Reibe had the advantage of the strength of her mechanical right arm, Jana beat the lock and began attacking.

"See?" Reibe said, grinning wide. "You're using my moves against me... and combining them with some of your own. Looks like a combination of Juyo, Soresu, and Ataru. Then, you've got this..." she mimicked one of Jana's moves, which Jana deflected easily. "Not ever seen that before... and that's saying something."

Jana shook her head, puzzled. "But how can I..."

"That's why you learn so quickly, Jana," Reibe said. "The Force flows through you in such a way that you learn its lessons faster than anyone ever has the right to."

Jana blushed and switched off the saber. "I'm sorry..." She tossed it back to Reibe and retreated to the cockpit.

"Please tell me we're almost there," she said to Jack. The pilot nodded and Jana locked herself in her room, not intending to leave it until they reached their destination.

My story in progress: United We Stand - Divided We Fall

Please read and review
Grace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #644
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Current Game: SWOTR
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
Beryl awoke early. She hadn’t slept very well as she had had a lot of things on her mind--Conn, Nic, the escape, her brother, these new found 'powers' of hers that she just couldn't seem to control....

As she went through the motions of getting up and going to the prison dining area for breakfast, she thought about what had happened to Dr. Twerna the day before, and if something like that might happen again today. What if someone tried to hurt her friends--especially Conn and Ryshana--would she get angry or indignant and act without thinking again even after Ryshana's and Jeez's warnings about the Darkside? She wasn't sure. In the heat of the moment, in a time of stress with little time to think, she was worried that she wouldn't be able to keep her cool. As she poked her spoon around her bowl of ‘gruel’, she let out a heavy sigh, trying to still the doubts running through her mind.

"What's the matter? Not hungry, sweetie?" Sam's voice roused Beryl from her internal debate.

“Huh?” Beryl looked at her bowl of greenish-grey goo, and then at Sam. “Erm... no.”

"You got to eat something,” Sam told her. “Or that’ll be two days in a row you haven’t eaten anything.”

“I had ryshcate yesterday.”

“Oh, well, ryshcate,” Sam mocked. “Yeah, all those high sugar, high fat calories ought to do you for… what? A couple of weeks at least, right?” She gave Beryl a disparaging look. “C'mon, sweetie.” She nodded at the gruel. “I know it tastes like crap, but you need the energy. Eat. You’ll thank me for it later.”

Beryl knew that Sam was right. She needed to be on her toes today. One slip up and it could be over--for all of them. She put a spoonful of the pasty drivel in her mouth, and, grimacing, swallowed it reluctantly.

Sam grinned. “That’s more like it. Mining is hard work, you know.”

“Indeed,” Max’s voice said from behind the two of them. “Especially when you’ve been selected to indoctrinate two ‘newbies’ today.” Beryl and Sam both got a quick pat on the shoulders as Max moved past them and headed for the lift up to the admin level and the med bay. “I’m just going to fetch them now. Doc should have them done with ‘decon’ by now.”

The klaxon sounded the end to the breakfast hour, and the prisoners began to head down towards the lifts that led to the mines.

Sam draped an arm over Beryl’s shoulders as they walked. “This is going to be a good day, sweetie,” she said quietly, leaning in close to Beryl’s ear. “Just keep telling yourself that.”

“Positive thinking,” Beryl said. “Good. Oh, and Sam?”

“Yes?”

Beryl glanced askance at Sam’s hand which was resting on Beryl's shoulder. “You’re getting a bit too….”

“Cuddly?”

“Ye-aah,” Beryl answered slowly.

“Sorry.” Sam grinned as she reluctantly broke her casual embrace. “Can’t fault a girl for trying.”

Beryl sighed, shook her head, and then snorted with amusement. “No, I suppose I can’t. C’mon. Let’s just get down to the mines and get things moving.”

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Last edited by JasraLantill; 08-30-2007 at 04:06 AM.
JasraLantill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #645
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Conn murmured sleepily, then frowned. Something was tapping him quite roughly on the head. Opening his eyes sleepily, he craned his head upward to find Max looking at him derisively, holding a datapad in her hand. "Wakey wakey, Doc," she told him, her voice chipper.

"Gugh." Conn wasn't quite fully cogent.

"I see," Max replied, not missing a beat. "No reason for you to be like that though, you didn't spend the night 'observing' Beryl."

This woke him up a little bit more. "Yeah, yeah," he muttered, running his hand over his face and through his tousled hair. "What time is it?"

"Oh-nine-hundred," she responded curtly. "I'm here to take the new prisoners down---" she nodded in the direction of his room where Jeez and Ryshana were, then leaned in closer to Conn's ear, "---As well as to remind you of our deal." She pulled back so she could look into his eyes and see the silent agreement behind them. "Got it?"

Conn nodded, completely awake by now. "Yeah, I got it."

"Good!" Max's tone was bright again. "Now, help me break those two lovebirds out of your room so we can get a move on."

Conn chuckled. "Y'know, you could've just knocked."

"Oh but where's the fun in that?" Max's smile was infectious.

"You're certainly very happy today."

"It's not everyday I get to make off with a boatload of money and get out of jail at the same time."

"Point taken."

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 AM   #646
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Looking around, Jeez recognized that he was in some sort of a massive hangar. In the various docking stations, several freighters were lying there awkwardly as they burned intensely from the leaking fuel cells while other freighters remained docked normally. Around him, debris and burning wreckage was strewn across the open area of the hangar, and Jeez could hear screams of pain echoing from across the hangar.

With his interested piqued by the screaming, Jeez carefully made his way across the hangar. As he got closer, he could hear the screams more clearly, and he could tell that it was a woman of some kind. Panic began to set in, and Jeez began to search frantically around the wreckage for the source of the screams. Finally, he saw a pair of legs from under a heavy piece of wreckage.

Running over to the wreckage, he peered around the wreckage to catch a glimpse of the woman's face, and he saw...

"Jeez!!" Ryshana exclaimed. "For the last time, wake up."

Opening his eyes, Jeez looked up and saw Ryshana's face. "Sorry, I was dreaming," Jeez stated as he started to awaken.

"Are you sure? That sounded like a nightmare to me," she responded.

Sitting up on the edge of the bed, Jeez could vividly see the dream almost as if it had been for real. "No, it wasn't a nightmare. It was too real for that," Jeez stated.

"Well, whatever it was, you need to get ready to go. We do have a pretty big day ahead of us," Ryshana stated as she tossed Jeez's clothes over to him. Catching them, Jeez turned and smiled at Ryshana. "Indeed. Today is a big day," he replied.

As the two of them washed and dressed up, the also took the time to tidy up Conn's room a bit. "Just in case," Ryshana had said.

Finally ready, they turned around and opened the door to the medbay and saw Conn and Max standing there. Catching sight of Conn's unkept look, Jeez commented, "What happened to you?"

Old 09-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #647
Rogue Nine
*static*

"Long night at the office," Conn demurred, rubbing his eyes. "Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the accomodations at Hotel Harlowe, but Max his here to take you two down to the mines so we can get a move on."

Max nodded, handing some bulky pieces of cloth to Ryshana. "We don't have too many Twi'leki down there, and none with your pretty shade of purple, so keep your lekku covered," she told the female Jedi. "I'll find you both something to do until it's time, so until then, keep your heads down and try not to be too conspicuous."

"Hopefully Beryl's plan will work," Conn said, moving to the side as the Jedi exited the room, "and your friends will be punctual and efficient." He scratched the back of his head. "Truth be told, I'm more banking on the latter than the former."

"Stop being so jittery, doc," Max told him, her voice still buoyant. She turned to Jeez and Ryshana. "All right kiddies, let's get going."

Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #648
JasraLantill
No One Liners

The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
In the elevator, on their way down to the mines with a group of other prisoners, Beryl stood quietly staring up at the ceiling while Sam impatiently drummed her fingernails on one of the metallic guard rails. Beryl had a lot of things on her mind--Conn, Nic, the escape plan, her brother, these new found 'powers' of hers that she just couldn't seem to control....

What if she got angry or indignant again? What if someone tried to hurt one of her friends--Conn and Ryshana especially--would she act without thinking again even after Ryshana's and Jeez's warnings about the Darkside? Even after the meditation session she had had the day before, she still wasn’t that confident. In the heat of the moment, in a time of stress with little time to think things through, Beryl was worried that she wouldn't be able to keep her cool—worried that she might do something she would severely regret later. She let out a heavy sigh, trying to still her doubts.

“What's the matter?” Sam wanted to know.

“Nothing. Just thinking, that’s all.”

“Oh.” Sam crossed her arms over her chest. “So, no doubt that means you’re thinking about ‘majorly serious’ stuff that you don’t think peons like me would understand.”

“You’re not a ‘peon,’ Sam,” Beryl said with a sigh. “And, it’s not anything ‘majorly serious.’ Really.”

This was met with a doubtful, “Uh-huh,” from Sam. She cast a wary glance around them, checking to see if any of the other prisoners in the lift car with them were interested in their conversation. They didn’t appear to be, and so Sam continued. “You know, sweetie, if you've got something on your mind—family problems, or love matters, or, erm, even ‘other’ stuff—I'm a good listener. And not only from behind closed doors, either," she added pointedly.

Beryl couldn’t help but grin. “You’ll have to show me how you did that later,” she said, referring to Sam’s feat of opening Conn’s locked door. “That was some trick.”

“Trick? Nah. You just have to know how things fit and work together. Once you know that, sweetie, everything’s easy.” Sam paused a beat. “So?” she pressed. “What are you thinking?”

Beryl now, too, looked warily around the car. It just wouldn’t do if someone figured out that they were going to attempt an escape today. If a lockdown happened, it would mess up her entire plan of their escape through the supply lift. Most of the prisoners in their car were either looking down at the floor, listless and appearing uninterested. But Beryl wasn’t taking any chances. “Nothing really. I’m just… thinking about today’s… erm, ‘tasks.’ Just wondering if I’m up to it.”

“Heh, yeah, the newbie does look a little soft to me,” one of the other prisoners in their car commented cynically. Adorned with tattoos, the woman was rough looking and, although not quite as tall as Beryl or Sam, she was muscular and had a fresh scar that ran down from her brow to her chin—proof that she was a scrapper and not afraid to cause trouble or start a fight. “Poor little newbie will probably break a nail and then go run and cry to one of the trustees.”

Sam glared at the woman. “Just ignore her, sweetie,” she said to Beryl. “She’s one of Ice’s friend’s and she’s just jealous.” Sam stuck out her tongue at the woman, and then sidled closer to Beryl. “You know, sweetie,” Sam said in a low, quiet tone, “you don’t have to compete with them. You’re good enough as you are. You just lack confidence.”

Beryl gave Sam a questioning look, and then her eyes flicked over the other prisoners in the car with them. Was Sam talking about the other prisoners and their mining skills, or about Ryshana and Jeez?

“After all, they’ve been at it for a while and got lots of experience,” Sam continued. “You’re green. But, eventually, you’ll get the hang of it though. From what I’ve seen, you seem pretty quick.”

Beryl raised an eyebrow.

“What I’m saying is,” Sam continued, “no matter what happens or how hard it might seem, don’t get frustrated. Just do what I do-- go with the flow. Just take things as they come. Roll with what ever comes your way. Be like a leaf blowing in the wind,” Sam continued, with a little dramatic flourish of her hand.

The doors opened and the prisoners began to pile out into the artificially lit mining cavern to join up with their respective work details.

“A leaf in the wind?” Beryl pressed her lips together, holding back a grin. Sam was trying to be philosophical, (perhaps trying to substitute herself for Beryl’s Jedi mentors,) but it just wasn’t working. “Sam, we’re in a cavern. There is no wind.”

“Well, okay….” Sam thought a second, then raised a pointed finger. “No matter how big the boulder is rolling down the shaft, it only takes a slight movement to the left or right to avoid it.”

“Unless it’s falling down from the ceiling and coming straight down on your head,” the tattooed prisoner added, grinning rather cruelly as she flourished a handheld pick and pointed it threateningly at Beryl. “Then you’re farkled, newbie!”

Sam’s eyes narrowed. “Didn’t your mother ever teach you that it’s rude to point?” And before the woman could even open her mouth to retort, Sam had wrenched the pick from her hand and had impaled the pointed end of it into the woman’s boot, essentially pinning her foot to the ground.

The woman prisoner howled, more with outrage than with pain, but Sam just stood there unblinking. As one of the trustees approached to see what the commotion was about, Sam pointed accusingly to the woman and said, “Improper use of issued tools!” Then she draped a protective arm over Beryl’s shoulders and began to usher her away before the trustee or anyone else could ask any questions.

“What are you doing?” Beryl hissed, flicking her eyes over Sam’s hand resting on her shoulder. “We’re supposed to be blending in!”

Sam just grinned. Beryl didn’t want to make a scene in the elevator and Sam knew it.

“We are, sweetie, don’t worry,” Sam said. “Crap like that happens all the time down here. And anyway, Max said she would meet us with our new ‘loading team’ right over there,” she said, pointing ahead. “Near the carts.”

Beryl’s brow creased. “Since when did you talk to Max?”

“Last night.” Sam gave Beryl’s shoulder a gentle squeeze. “When you were sleeping.”

“You just don’t give up, do you?” Beryl asked between clenched teeth.

“Try, try, and try again,” Sam replied. “That’s my motto.”

“Well, let’s ‘try’ to be a little less conspicuous, shall we?” She shrugged of Sam’s hand. “And ‘try’ to be a little less touchy-feely while we wait for Max and the others to arrive.”

“Admiral? The armed detail you received from Captain Raikelli is in place and awaiting your orders.” Major Payne stood back from the prison security console and eyed his superior carefully. “But forgive me for asking, sir, but wouldn’t the detail be better stationed at the hanger’s entrance points rather than within the hanger bay and the outside exits? It’s not like they will have spacesuits to venture outside or….”

Admiral Quitaan raised a slow eyebrow.

A wave of realisation washed over the Major. “Ah, I see, sir. If she escapes, you want her to enter the cargo hanger with a false sense of security, and then trap her inside.”

The Admiral nodded. “But it’s ’when,’ Payne. It’s ‘when she attempts to escape,’ not ‘if’. I know my sister.” He peered over Payne’s shoulder to see the monitors, one in particular of the mine shaft lifts and the prisoners gathering for their work details. In the corner of the screen, Beryl stood quietly talking with another prisoner. “She is planning something for today, I’m sure of it.” He looked at Payne. “Has the transfer authorization arrived yet?”

“Just coming through now, sir,” said one of the prison guards sitting at the nearby com station. He handed a datapad to Major Payne, who then handed it to the Admiral to read.

“Good news, sir?” the Major asked.

“Not entirely ‘good’, but not unexpected,” Admiral Quitaan answered cryptically. He handed the datapad back to the Major. “Payne, have Commander Refla start his transfer procedures.” His mouth twitched in what could almost be called a quick grin. “I’ll meet you later in the cargo bay.”

“Yes, sir.”

As the Admiral left the command station, the Major headed in the opposite direction towards Commander Refla’s office. As he walked, he read through the datapad message.

“…in exchange for a compensatory execution…?” His eyebrows rose with interest. “Well, that should be interesting….”

Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #649
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

((this is why i hate it when the forums go down. i never even knew we had a new post till now. ))

"Fine by me," Jeez commented as he helps Ryshana with the process of hiding her lekku. Sliding his fingers gracefully down her right lekku, Ryshana looked back at him. "You do realize that we have more important things at the moment, right??"

"Despite the fact that you enjoy it?" Jeez asked with a mischievous grin. Looking sideways at him, Ryshana just stood there as she looked for a response. "Well, just look on the brightside: we're not too far away from having some true solitude."

"I know, but would you please just get this thing done?" Ryshana asked somewhat annoyed. Shaking his head and sighing to himself, Jeez finished helping her with the hood. Turning to face Max, Ryshana then said, "Alright, well, lets get moving."

Old 09-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #650
JasraLantill
No One Liners

“You two! Get to work!” one of the male trustees ordered from several feet away as he glared at Beryl and Sam.

“Erm... we’re waiting for the rest of our crew and our foreman,” Sam said. “Max is bringing….”

“I don’t care who or what you’re waitin’ for!” the trustee growled, his eyes narrowing as he brandished his baton in the air and drew closer to the pair. “Get your collective asses to work!” He pointed at a pile of ore. “Ore!” Then he pointed at the nearby hover-cart. “Cart!” He thrust a shovel each into their hands and glared at them. “Now, get busy!”

The two women exchanged glances, and then shrugged and started to shovel the ore into the cart as ordered.

“What a grouch,” Sam said under her breath.

“Don’t talk, just shovel,” Beryl said. “If we’re working, it’s less likely that we’ll be noticed.”

In a few minutes, Beryl spotted Max with Ryshana and Jeez in tow. She smiled cheesily at them. “Hi, Jeez. Hi, Ryshana." Her eyes flicked over Ry's hood. "Nice look you got going there.”

Even though she knew that it was the only way to keep the Twi’lek Jedi inconspicuous amongst the rest of the prisoners, Beryl had to bite back a smile at Ryshana’s hooded ‘disguise.’ Still, being two new and unfamiliar faces among the mining workgangs, both Jedi still got a few strange looks from some, to which Max quickly dispelled with a gruff, “What are you looking at?! Get back to work!”

“Gee, Max, is that something they taught you to do in 'trustee' school?” Beryl asked under her breath. “Because you do it so well....”

"Ha. Ha." Max flashed her a sarcastic grin in response, while she handed Jeez and Ryshana both a shovel. “Look, just fill up a couple of carts,” she told them. “That’ll give everyone a chance to settle in. And then….” Sporting a closed lip grin, she looked at Beryl and Sam. “Then you two can stage your little ‘distraction’ that the Doc will have to be called down to attend to. Just… don’t go over the top. Anything big and they’ll put the place on lockdown.”

“Will a small flash-bang sort of thing work for you?” Beryl asked between shovelfulls.

“Should do.” Max looked over her shoulder, checking to see what the other trustees were doing, and then she started to back away. “I’ve got some things to do,” she said. She winked. “See you up top.”

It didn’t take long for the four of them to fill up their first cart. Beryl decided that she and Sam would guide the load up to the lift doors, mainly to test the resolve of the two guards that were positioned there. They were dressed in Stormtrooper armour, but Beryl noticed that they didn’t quite carry themselves as hardened troops. She guessed that they were either washouts or just regular prison guards dressed to intimidate.

As she approached them, Beryl gave a sickeningly sweet smile to one of the two guards. “Hi!” she said, cheerily as she possibly could. “Got a full cart of ore for you. Wanna see?”

“No talking,” the guard snapped gruffly, and without even looking at the contents of the cart, he pushed the lift call button on the wall, then pointed to the lift door. “Just leave it there and get back to work.”

“Ok-aay….” Beryl started to guide the cart to the lift doors. “Just trying to be friendly to make the day go faster.”

Playing along Beryl’s line, Sam said, “Told you they were stiff, sweetie,” loud enough for both guards to hear.

“No talking!” guard number one repeated.

Beryl sized up guard number two, who up until now hadn’t said a word. “You as stiff and unsociable as your partner?” she asked him.

A small sigh was heard from the guard’s voicebox. “Just deposit the cart near the lift and get back to work.” He obviously wasn’t as gruff as the first guard, but neither was he entertaining any conversation.

“Erm…you know, we can put it in the lift for you,” Beryl offered. She exchanged a look with Sam. “We don’t mind.”

“Yeah, whatever,” said the second guard, waving a dismissive hand, obviously bored and uninterested in the going’s on of the mine. “Just hurry up and get back to work.”

Beryl and Sam waited for the lift to arrive and the doors to open, then they guided the cart inside, and returned to the others.

“I think this is going to be easier than I thought,” Beryl said to Ryshana and Jeez. “I didn't see any cameras in the lift, and I don’t think either one of the guards are overly concerned about their jobs. Looks like they’re just counting on the trustees to keep everyone in line.” She picked up her shovel and started to fill the next cart. “Say,” she said grinning slyly, “let’s not fill it up to the top this time. See if they notice.”

She glanced over her shoulder at the two guards, and then over to the place near the shuttle platform where she had stashed the detonators a couple of days before. “Jeez, you want to take the cart up with me next time? Bet you can ‘feel’ those two guards out better than I can.”

Last edited by JasraLantill; 09-18-2007 at 08:11 PM.
JasraLantill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #651
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

"Maybe," Jeez commented as he tossed another shovel load of ore into the cart. "But I doubt that he'd wouldn't notice a cart that wasn't full. Sure, he's angry cause this is his first assignment, but now he thinks he has something to prove to everyone else. That's what happens when you stick with recruits instead of clones."

"And you know that without even going over there?" Sam asked somewhat incredulously.

"Well, I know what I know," Jeez stated as he winked in her direction. Ryshana just smiled as she continued to help load the cart with ore.

"No worries about him, though. He didn't get his position down here because he has a strong mind. His partner is worse off from what I can tell," Ryshana added as a hint to Beryl so that she wouldn't be nervous about having to fool the guards with the Force.

With the cart about 3/4 of the way full, another trustee came walking up to the group. "You two, come with me," he said as he pointed out Ryshana and Jeez. Taking them aside, he then said, "Look, I don't know why you're down here, and that's a problem. That problem gives way to the fact that I don't know who you are because I know everybody down here. So, here's the drill: I have to take you up to the assignments office to check you in. Are you new arrivals?"

Concentrating on the trustee's mind, Ryshana then said, "I'm new, but I don't think that's much of an issue."

"This really isn't an issue," the trustee said.

"We can be about our business," Ryshana stated.

"You can go about your business. Get back to work," the trustee replied as he turned and walked off.

Moving back over to the group, Ryshana then commented, "See, that's not as hard as it looks."

Old 09-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #652
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Feeling a bit more confident with Ry's demonstration, Beryl grinned crookedly as Ryshana. Sam just stared in awe.

"Now that's really handy," Sam said to the Jedi. "Wish I could do that." She looked at Beryl. "You can do that," she said, patting Beryl's shoulder with confident reassurance. "Wow. Imagine all the things you could get away with. Like... like...," She thought a moment, then grinned. "Like seconds in the mess hall!"

"Seconds?" Beryl grimaced. "I can barely stomach firsts. Besides, there's probably some kind of ...," She heaved up a final shovel full of ore into the cart then wiped her brow. "... consequence for using the Force that way." A quick look at Ryshana. "Right?" Ryshana grinned serenely. "Yeah. Thought so."

The cart was full again. Beryl looked over to the guards, then at the Jedi, then Sam. "Sam, see if you can casually kick one of those dets we stashed into that hole over there while Jeez and I take the cart over to the lift." She nodded to a small depression in the ground, nearer to the shuttle tunnel but away from most of the ore loaders.

Sam raised her brow. "What, you want me to set it off? Now?"

"No, I just want you to put it in that hole for now. People know your face. You'll be less noticeable than one of us walking over there. I'll set it off when we're nearer the lift with our next load. They'll shut the lifts down when there's the flash and bang, but once they figure out it was really nothing to get excited about, they'll start the lifts back up again. By that time Conn should be down here, checking on things, and then when they tell him he's got no casualties and nothing to check, he can sneak a ride up in the lift with us." She grinned. "Simple."

She took control of one end of the cart, then looked at Jeez. "You coming?"

Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #653
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

"It would be my pleasure, miss," Jeez replied half-mocking as he gave her a slight bow. Taking one side of the cart, Jeez gave it a good tug as Beryl did the same. "You know, these things really aren't as heavy as they look. Especially when you have a helper, you know?"

Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #654
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Beryl's brow crinkled as she stared down at the heavy cart, and then at the taught muscles in her arms. Laden with ore, the cart was heavy--not unmanageable with two people pulling it, but it still took some effort to get it moving. Yet Jeez wasn't straining at all, and the cart was moving just the same as when Sam had been pulling it with her.

She gave Jeez a deadpan look. It was obvious to her now that he was using the Force, and she suddenly felt stupid for not having used it to assist her before now.

"Is it your goal in life to make me feel stupid all the time," she asked him, "or just half the time?" Letting out a sigh of resolve, she concentrated on the Force, using it to help her propel the cart forward. It was indeed easier to move now, but when she came up to the two guards, she found that it was difficult for her to concentrate on the cart and them at the same time. She gave Jeez a dirty look, and he gave her an enigmatic grin.

She tried to focus the Force on the guard, while at the same time, keeping the cart slightly levitated. It was difficult. "Kriffin' Jedi and their training....," she muttered under her breath.

"No talking!" the gruff guard said.

Beryl rolled her eyes, then concentrated harder. The cart wobbled, but as Beryl's eyes narrowed, it steadied itself. "I've got a full cart. You need to call the lift," she said to the guard. "I know the procedure," she added.

Almost automatically, the guard pushed the lift's call button. "You know the procedure."

"I'll just wait by the lift door," Beryl said.

"Just wait by the lift door," the guard repeated, motioning her and Jeez to the door behind him. "And no talking!"

Beryl's brow raised at how easy it had been to guide the thoughts of the grumpiest of the two guards. She gave Jeez an unsure look, wondering if he had helped her. He merely grinned, and then shook his head ever so slightly.

The lift came, and they moved the cart inside. This time, Beryl took a closer look at the inside of the elevator car. She still couldn't see any cameras, but she wondered if Jeez, having more 'covert operations' experience, had noticed anything more than she had.

Leaving the cart in the lift, they returned to the group. Sam was just coming back from kicking one of the stashed dets into the small hole Beryl had spied earlier.

"It's in there," Sam said to Beryl, as she nodded her head in the direction of the hidden detonator. "Covered it up with some dirt though, sweetie, 'cause it was sort of sticking out a bit."

"That's okay," Beryl said, looking over at the small bump in the dirt. "I can...." She looked at Jeez and Ryshana. "...feel it." She took a deep breath. "So, are we all ready for our 'distraction' to get Conn down here?"

Old 09-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #655
Rogue Nine
*static*

Conn chewed absently at a protein bar as he reached for his hydrospanner. Finding the long cylinder at his belt, he took it and stuck it into the innards of the 2-1B droid he was repairing. Since he was going to be leaving today (hopefully), his moral compass as a doctor did not allow him to feel at ease about it until he was sure that the facility would be left with a functioning medical technician, even if it was just a droid.

Snapping the panel shut, he was about to switch the Two-Onebee on when alarm klaxons went off, splashing red light across the medbay. He glanced at the chrono. "Well that was all too soon," he muttered as he grabbed his medical bag. It didn't take long for his comlink to chirp.

"Doctor Harlowe," a voice said, slightly distorted. "Please report down to the mines, block 1138. There has been an explosion in the mines."

Conn tried to keep his voice level as he flipped the Two-Onebee's switch and made his way to the door. "Casualities?" he inquired.

"Mostly minor," the voice replied, not sounding too excited at all. Probably a bored stormtrooper.

"Yes, but we can't have the Empire's finest prisoners being injured," Conn replied drolly. "I'll be down there in a few minutes."

Old 09-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #656
starmark2k

“Sir Report from the prison facility, there has been an explosion in one of the mines.” A communications officer informed Captain Raikellii as he stared out of the bridge window onto the planet.

“So it’s begun.” The captain sighed turning to the Bridge crew. “Ops keep an eye out for any thing irregular and inform me immediately. Gunnery Sergeant have your crews ready to fire upon a small mid-bulk freighter.”

“Aye Sir.” The Sergeant responded as he reached for his comlink. The captain then strolled casually over to his second in command until he was standing right next to him.

“Have my brother brought up here, I wouldn’t want him to miss this.” He ordered with a small grin stretched across his face.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #657
JasraLantill
No One Liners

With his ‘borrowed’ marines standing in formation in the hanger bay of the supply depot for the prison facility, the Admiral was studying the layout of the in the hanger control booth with the marine sergeant. There were several corridors that led to the main hanger bay, but as Berasmus Quitaan had suspected, they were lightly guarded and rarely patrolled. In fact, the entire supply hanger was covered by only a handful of prison personnel. Hence his reasoning behind ‘borrowing’ two squads of marines from Captain Raikelli. He was sure that his sister, Beryl, was planning an escape. She wouldn’t stand for being ‘transferred’ to his care. She had done it before, he was sure she would do it aga….

Something began to bleep on the panel. “Sergeant? The Admiral frowned as he pointed to a blinking red light on one of the control panels on the wall. “What is that?”

The sergeant gave an enquiring look to the prison guard sitting at a station in front of the panel. “It’s nothing, sir,” the guard replied nonchalantly. “Just a level one alert from Mining Block 1138. Happens all the time. Probably just a small rockslide or even a faulty alarm.”

“Faulty alarm, indeed,” the Admiral said, his eyes narrowing. He studied the panel. “Sergeant, if one were to take the supply lift from Block 1138, where would it come out in the hanger bay?”

The sergeant’s finger ran along the panel. “Erm… here, sir.”

The Admiral nodded. “Then that’s the corridor we leave open.”

“Sir?”

“Station your men here,” he pointed to intersections at adjacent corridors on the panel, “and here, but leave that corridor open.”

The sergeant nodded. “Yes, sir,” he said. He snapped off a salute and returned to his marines and dispatched them to their stations.

Hands behind his back, the Admiral walked over to the window that overlooked the hanger bay. All he would have to do now, is wait.

Coughing, Beryl wiped the tears from her eyes that were watering from the cloud of smoke and dust her little ‘distraction’ had caused.

“Thought you said a ‘little’ flash bang?” Sam choked out, while she held the mining cart steady for Ryshana and Jeez to get inside of.

Beryl tried to speak, but just ended up coughing again. She shrugged in answer to Sam’s question. Obviously, she had used a bit too much ‘Force’ to explode the buried detonator. It had gone off all right—and had created a huge cloud of rock dust in its wake. It was cover enough for Ryshana and Jeez to get inside the mining cart unnoticed and cover themselves up with Ryshana’s ‘cloak,’ but the dust was also fine enough to make it difficult for everyone to breathe and see. She knew that Jeez and probably Ryshana, too, would most likely pull her up for going a bit over-the-top with the explosion, but probably not until they all got someplace a little less dusty.

“There’s the doc,” Sam croaked, pointing in the direction of the passenger lifts.

“Great,” was all that Beryl could choke out herself. She hoped he would see them and join them.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #658
starmark2k

Nic was dragged out of the Lift and into the bridge of the imperial vessel where he was held prisoner, hands bound behind his back two Stormtroopers pulled him by his upper arms. His feet dragged along the floor through a mix of attempting to resist and exhaustion. Although he had lost all track of time thanks to being locked up and blindfolded the past night he knew the reason why he brought to the bridge, his brother wanted him to witness the deaths of those he travelled with.

He was pulled up to the large forward viewing window and dropped on to his knees next to his brother. The blindfold was pulled off his causing him to blink several time as the light shone into his eye.

“Remember when we were children Simon.” Kriss asked staring out the window not expecting an answer. “When we use to play games in the streets of Threed? You always won the games, I never figured out how until we grew up. You cheated! You hated lose so much you would be dishonest even when we were supposed to be having fun. This time you have nothing hidden up your sleeve, this time I will win.”
Old 09-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #659
Rogue Nine
*static*

Conn stepped out of the lift and into the central mining chamber, wrinkling his nose at all the dust. A stormtrooper stalked up to him. "Doctor, there has been an explosion of some sort. Probably hit a gas pocket or something." He waved a gloved hand in the direction the smoke seemed to be coming from. "There were a few inmates working in that area, they might be injured."

"Might be?" Conn asked. "You didn't go in and check?"

The stormtrooper snorted, the muffler in his helmet making it come out as a distorted crack. "We already have our hands full trying to contain the rest of the rowdy scum down here." To enforce his point, he gestured behind him where the rest of his squadmates were keeping the inmates at bay. No doubt more than a few of them were trying to capitalize on the distraction. Thankfully, this did make it a lot easier for Conn.

"I see," Conn told the stormtrooper, trying to sound concerned. "I'll go have a look, you keep them locked down."

"Yes, sir." The stormtrooper saluted, then headed back to his squad.

Conn shook his head as he hefted his back and covered his mouth with one hand and made his way into the smoke. Coughing sounds caught his attention and he pushed through towards them. "Beryl?" he called out.

A hacking cough answered him, followed by an unmistakable, irritable-sounding voice. "What took you so long?"

"Sorry," Conn apologized as he came up alongside Beryl and Sam. "Don't you think you overdid it just a little?" he couldn't help commenting, handing the both of them emergency breathing masks.

Beryl shot him a look as she took her mask and breathed deeply into it.

Conn smirked at her. "Just as long as you know. C'mon, let's get to the lifts."

Old 09-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #660
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

As Ryshana jumped into the cart, her thoughts suddenly brought herself to Nic. She saw him on his knees in front of a white screen. "This time I will win," she heard a voice say. Surprisingly, it sounded a bit like Nic's voice, but she wasn't quite sure. Finally, the screen changed into a camera view, and Ryshana couldn't help but to look past Nic.

A small freighter flew by the screen only to be intercepted by several turbolaser bolts. In a matter of seconds, the shields buckled on the small freighter, and it was pulverized by another volley of turbolasers. Then, Ryshana felt several familiar lives become one with the Force, and it finally dawned on her that the freighter was the Echo.

"Would you scoot over already? I don't have enough room here," Jeez stated quietly. Despite the confusion just outside the cart, Ryshana finally came to her senses. As Jeez tried to fit inside, Ryshana scooted over. "Thank you kindly."

Looking over at Ryshana, he noticed a troubled look on her face. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"I'm not quite sure. Something just isn't right about this. I can feel it," Ryshana stated as she was noticeably concerned.

Focusing on the Force, Jeez concentrated hard. Trying to see into the future, Jeez suddenly returned to the images from his dream. In the hangar, Jeez could feel death around him, and he could sense little hope.

"I'm not quite sure myself. I'm not sensing that the Force is with us, and that's not a good sign," Jeez stated somewhat calmly. "Lets hope for the best. I have a feeling that its one of the few things we have left."

Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #661
JasraLantill
No One Liners

“C'mon, let's get to the lifts."

“Doc, you need to get in the cart,” Sam said to Conn, her voice muffled from the breathing mask.

“Huh?”

Sam gestured with her index finger, pointing inside the cart. “You.” A breath. “Cart.” A breath. “In.” She grinned broadly, then lowered her mask from her face and gave it an admiring look, as a connoisseur would view a glass of fine brandy. “Hey, this is good stuff, doc. You sure it’s just O-two?”

Beryl nudged Sam in the side with her elbow. “Hey! Keep focused, Sam.” She looked at Conn, who was still looking a bit confused and in need of explanation. “It’s only for a few minutes until we get ourselves into the supply lift,” Beryl said, moving closer to him so that he backed up into the ore cart. “Just get in.”

Conn gave a quick look over both shoulders, raising a brow at Beryl’s odd request. “This wasn't in the plan,” he commented.

Beryl’s eyes narrowed as she lowered her mask. “Don’t make me go Jedi on you, Harlowe,” she warned.

Go Jedi?” The corner of the cloak covering up the two Jedi in the ore cart lifted, and Ryshana gave her a strange, but amused grin.

“Look, he knows what I mean,” Beryl said, her cheeks reddening slightly, before her Master could comment. “Just get in, Conn. I need to concentrate on the guards, and Sam’s going to be distracting enough as it is.”

Even though she was sucking on the mask again, Sam’s grin was evident. “You think I’m distracting, sweetie?” she said, flicking her eyes appreciatively over Beryl. “Nice.”

Beryl rolled her eyes. “See?” she said to Conn. “Now just get in. We don’t have much time before the dust clears.”

Conn hitched his leg over the edge of the cart and was slowly lowering his body inside the cart next to the two Jedi. “I don’t think that I'm going to...”

Beryl shoved Conn’s head down inside the cart unceremoniously and pulled the cloak over it. “You don’t have to think. Just be quiet.”

Conn shook his head as he scrunched up tight next to Ryshana and Jeez, making it very uncomfortable for all three of them, especially with his hefty bag. He shot them both a look. "That's Beryl for you. Always doing things the hard way."

With everyone stowed away, Beryl nodded to Sam and the two of them started to pulling the cart over to the lift. With three people inside, it was still a bit heavy, but not nearly as heavy as it had been with the ore. Nevertheless, Beryl and Sam pushed and pulled it as if it was very full and very heavy, just like they had done earlier.

Her voice slightly hollow sounding from the oxygen mask she still wore, Beryl approached the grumpiest guard and said, “Got another full load for ‘ya!” The guard turned in her direction, and having his full attention now, she concentrated as much as she could on his mind. “Though you can’t see it for all the dust.”

“Yeah, some idiot must have hit a gas pocket or something,” Sam added, trying to be helpful.

“No talking!” the guard snapped at them both. He rubbed a hand across the lenses of his helmet, attempting to wipe the dust off them.

Beryl’s eyes grew slightly wider. Because of Sam’s interruption, she was beginning to doubt whether or not she had established a strong enough Force connection to the guard to completely convince him that he couldn't see the 'very full mine cart' through all the dust.

“Yes, probably the same talkative idiot who tried to overload this cart,” Beryl said, still concentrating hard on the guard, but giving Sam a dirty look at the same time, warning her with her eyes to be silent. “This very full, very heavy cart that we are wasting time talking about and should be putting into the lift so we can get back to work.”

The guard stepped closer, wiping his lenses again. Beryl inhaled as panic began to set in. She gave a quick glance at the inside of the cart, readying herself for a confrontation, desperately hoping that Ryshana or Jeez, or even Conn for that matter, might be ready to help her, and then….

The guard pointed to the lift. “I said, ‘No talking!’ You’re wasting time! Get that cart into the lift and get back to work!”

Beryl slowly exhaled, and she and Sam pushed the cart forward.

The second guard was nearby, but as they approached, he suddenly turned, seemingly distracted by something to the other side of him. As he left his post to investigate, Beryl grinned slightly, and she nodded to Sam to keep pushing the cart right on past him. In a moment, they were inside the lift with the cart and its passengers.

Before the guard returned, Beryl had waved her hand across the open lift door and it shut. She leaned against the back wall of the lift and let out a sigh of relief.

“See, sweetie?” Sam said calmly. “You’re not bad with doors yourself.” She lifted up the cover on the cart. “You can come out now, Doc. I think Beryl’s done playing with the guards now.”

Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 AM   #662
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Jeez was the first to get out of the cart. As he moved outside quickly, he also took a couple moments to help Ryshana exit the cart as well. Much to Beryl's surprise, Jeez also removed two lightsabers from the hidden compartment in his boot. Handing one of them to Ryshana, Sam noticed it as well.

"Um, we are going to be in the clear when this thing hits topside, right?" Sam asked.

Looking over at Sam, Jeez responded, "No. When we entered this lift, I felt like we just entered a trap, and I want to be ready."

"A trap?" Sam started to ask, but she was cut off when Jeez waved her off as he looked to the top of the lift. The lift was moving rapidly, and Jeez was trying to sense when the lift was at the top as was Ryshana. Then, the lift began to slow, and Jeez suddenly closed his eyes and seemed to be holding a large panel with his hands.

Finally, a door was in sight, but instead of sliding open as the lift approached, it remained closed. As the lift slowed and finally stopped next to the door, sparks flew from the door motors as they tried to open the door. Finally, the sound of the motors running could be heard, but the sound also included the unmistakable sound of stripped gears grinding against each other. "There, that should give us some privacy," Jeez stated as he returned to normal.

Catching the confused looks Jeez was getting, Ryshana quickly stated, "He held the door in position so that it wouldn't open."

"What for? Ah, wait, the "trap" part," Sam said.

"Precisely. From what I can tell, there's at least a full company of Imperial Stormtroopers on the other side of this door," Ryshana stated.

"And not just any Stormtroopers, either. They're Clone Soldiers, and they're probably veterans from the Clone Wars as well," Jeez added.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #663
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Beryl had been feeling uneasy since the night before, so when Jeez mentioned a 'trap', she was hardly surprised. As she was still unpracticed in using the Force to 'see', she watched Jeez intently as he performed his task with the elevator door, trying to pick up how he was doing it.

"He held the door in position so that it wouldn't open," explained Ryshana.

"What for? Ah, wait, the "trap" part," Sam said.

"Precisely. From what I can tell, there's at least a full company of Imperial Stormtroopers on the other side of this door," Ryshana stated.

"And not just any Stormtroopers, either. They're Clone Soldiers, and they're probably veterans from the Clone Wars as well," Jeez added.

Just climbing out of the ore car, Conn's face dropped at the news of clone soldiers. And so did Beryl's.

"Clone troopers?" Beryl was about to ask Jeez if he was sure, but a quick look from him told her immediately that he was.

She sighed. "Dammit, Nuss...." Even without actively using the Force, she could tell her brother 'the Admiral' was close by. And she had no doubt that the clones were his doing.

Conn gave Beryl a disparaging look. "Simple, huh?"

"Well, it would have been if my stupid brother hadn't shown up on the scene!" Beryl shrugged as she gave him an apologetic look. "I'm sorry. Sorry, this is all turning out wrong. And it's all my fault. The extra troops are Nuss' idea, I'm sure of it--payback for me declining his 'generous offer' a while back. I should just go and turn myself in--buy you guys some time to escape while Nuss 'transfers' me to kriffin' who knows where." She bit her lip, trying not to get overly frustrated as Jeez was giving her the same 'look' as Jana did when she was irritated with her. "Ok, ok, ok... there's always the emergency hatch, right?" she said, looking upwards at the trap door in the ceiling. "There. We can get out through there."

"Erm... if it's a trap though," Sam started, holding up a thoughtful index finger, "won't they be expecting us to use the hatch?"

As Beryl shot Sam a dirty look, while Conn said again, "Simple, huh?"

Beryl was about to comment when a thought suddenly occurred to her. "Wait... how do the clones know we're in this particular car?" Beryl asked them all. "I mean, they might be expecting us, but do they know that we're here already?" She looked at the elevator door. "I mean, this door could be just stuck for all they know, right? Equipment malfunction due to... to..."

"To a You-ee!" Sam suggested, grinning brightly. Beryl raised a brow. "A U.I.E.?" Sam explained. Beryl raised her other brow. "User Interaction Error? It's a common maintenance diagnosis." And to demonstrate, Sam popped open the panel below the lift controls, pulled out two single wires from a mulit-coloured tangled jumble of them, bit the insulation off the ends and quickly twisted them together. A small flashing light inside the panel began to blink, but no alarm sounded.

"Overweight load indicator," Sam explained. "Too much weight in the car causes the doors to jam sometimes, because the car's not level. Happens all the time from prisoners overloading the ore into a single car. They guards should think it's a routine problem. And, if they do what they normally do, being as they're lazy, they'll just use the other lift until shift change, and then they'll get around to fixing this one."

Beryl exchanged a guarded look with Conn, then Jeez, and then Ryshana, and then she shook her head. "Sam, how do you know all this?"

Sam shrugged. "I read a lot."

"Uh-huh," Beryl said slowly with disbelief. She looked up at the ceiling hatch again, and then her eyes flicked down to the lightsaber Ryshana held in her hand. "So... I suppose we have two choices. Go through the hatch up there, or...." She nodded at the lightsaber. "Make our own hatch."

She frowned suddenly. "Erm, Sam? Didn't Max say she would meet us up top?"

"Yeah."

"So...." Beryl's eyes scanned the area around her, as she was trying to use the Force to detect nearby life forms. "Where is she?"

Old 09-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #664
steven
^I'm with Genius^

Location: Doesn't matter. The question u should be asking is "where r u?"
Cloud and Jack stood over the sensors console as the Echo sped towards the prison's locations in hyperspace. They had just received the data on the enemy fleet and weren't the happiest bunnies. During the exit of the Reaper, Jack stopped in a minor computer facility to steal some computer hard drive containing Reaper dada and leave behind a virus which could come in handy when the Echo left hyperspace. Reading the specs on the Reaper, the two men weren't exactly feeling safe about a confrontation with the Dreadnought.

After taking a deep breath, Cloud spoke, "I'm not sure we stand much of a chance... I mean look at the turret system alone."
"Meh," Jack simply replied as he continued to stare at the ships digital blueprints.
"You sure that virus you planted will do the trick?" Cloud asked, looking at Jack.
"Hopefully... It was designed for Star Destroyers however it should buy us some time. But just in case, I need you too make a few adjustments to the hyperdrive, especially the breaking system," Jack replied before writing some info on a peace of paper. He handed the paper to Cloud and was replied with a strange look. "Just do it, there's something I want to try which could be helpful."

Make love, not toast.
steven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #665
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

((obviously, we're about to finish this thing up. just so you guys know, i am taking a couple of liberties here for the sake of just getting this thing over with. if there needs to be a couple of changes, let me know so that i can edit it. otherwise, i just need some confirmation posts from Niner and Jasra for their characters.

as for everyone else, i'll be implementing a homing signal here for the Echo to track in order to get to everybody on the prison. at that point, you folks just need to do what you have planned for that point.

i'm sorry this rp is taking so long, but if you can't already tell, its gotten a lot more complicated then i had originally planned. with any luck, we'll have this particular thread done before the end of the month. ))

Jeez paused for a moment. Feeling around, he could tell that there was some momentary confusion on the other side of the door. Thanks to Sam's meddling with the electrical system, Jeez could sense that the confusion was quickly being replaced by disinterest. "I think they're calling for a technician to get the door open. Definitely a good sign that they think its just a false alarm. None the less, things are fairly tense over there," Jeez stated calmly as he thought for a moment.

"Alright, we need to do something now while they're momentarily disinterested about what's going on in here. So, lets get a plan together," Ryshana stated.

"Well, I vote that one of us just throws the door open, and we just run right at them. It certainly has an element of surprise, and I highly doubt that they'd be prepared for two Jedi. We can use this cart here as a means of portable cover. Sam, do you still have a charge on you?" Jeez started as he quickly began to formulate a plan.

"Yeah, I've got one charge left," Sam answered. Catching a sideways glance from Beryl, Sam quickly added, "It was just in case the first one was a dud."

"Good, we can use that to our advantage. Prime the explosive so that it will detonate on an impact. The next part we need is to have a small team that can quickly outflank them. Beryl and Ryshana, that'll be your job so stick together. Sam and Doc Conn will be with me. To effectively coordinate the attack, my group will stick towards the middle of the hangar while Beryl and Ryshana move to the right along the row of freighters. The plan will be for us to slide to the right after the intitial attack, especially since they'll be moving to outflank us on the left. From there, we'll hang back towards the entrance of the hangar till the Echo arrives. Any questions?" Jeez stated.

"What about the charge?" Sam asked as she finished reworking the primer.

"We'll use that a bit later as our group slides to the right. Basically, we'll toss it behind the first freighter to move it forward to help cover our flank unless an innocent is inside that freighter in which case we'll just use it like a grenade on our left flank," Jeez replied.

"Yeah, a really big grenade," Sam stated as she smiled almost sinisterly.

Noticing that Conn was about to protest, Ryshana spoke up and said, "Don't worry, Doc. They might be Clone War veterans, but so are we. And don't forget that we have the Force at our disposal. They do not. We'll make it through."

"Alright, weapon check: who has what?" Jeez asked as he held out his lightsaber and the small hold-out blaster. Ryshana held out her lightsaber as did Beryl. Conn unholstered his sidearm pistol and held it out. Noticing that Beryl was still moving around a bit, everyone watched as she then produced a very similar blaster that Conn had. Noticing everybody looking at her a bit weird, Beryl then said, "What? It doesn't take much for me to "relieve" a buckethead from his sidearm, you know."

"Why didn't I think of that?" Sam asked rhetorically as she realized that Beryl had swiped it off one of the guards at the bottom of the lift.

"Take mine," Jeez stated as he tossed Sam his hold-out blaster. "Alright, is everybody clear on what we're doing?"

Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #666
JasraLantill
No One Liners

"Alright, is everybody clear on what we're doing?"

Beryl raised a brow at Jeez. "Yeah. Me and Ryshana go right, everyone else goes forward, shoot the clones, avoid 'innocents'...." She snorted cynically. "Like there will be any innocents up here," she added quickly. "And then we hold up by the freighters and wait for the Echo." She looked at Jeez, and then at Conn. "Simple."

She twirled the blaster like a gunfighter. "And you know what would make things simpler?" she asked Conn. "If we knew where Max was."

In the control booth, a small alarm was bleeping. Admiral Quitaan came over to stand behind one of the control booth guards and looked over his shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, it's nothing, sir," the guard answered quite casually. "The door on lift 4B is jammed shut. Happens all the time due to overloading. I have requested a maintenance team to sort it out though," the guard added.

The Admiral's eyes narrowed, and then he let out a barely audible sigh. He turned then and walked over to the window that overlooked the hanger bay. Touching his personal comlink, he said, "Sergeant? Stand ready. I believe you're about to have visitors."

"Are we still to let them pass into hanger corridor 4A as planned, sir?" said a staticky voice over the Admiral's personal com channel.

"Yes. Proceed as planned. And remember, Sergeant, minimal casualties. I want them captured, not killed."

"Yes, sir."

His eyes scanning the entrances that led into the main hanger bay, the Admiral stood at the window--waiting.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #667
Rogue Nine
*static*

"And you know what would make things simpler? If we knew where Max was."

"Tell me about it," Conn agreed, shaking his head.

"You mean you don't know where she is?" Beryl asked, arching an eyebrow at the doctor.

"She said she had some things to look into before we left," Conn replied. "She wasn't specific and I didn't ask."

A look of worry flitted across Beryl's face. "Are you sure we can trust her? She's a Trustee, after all."

Sam snorted. "Max would sooner suck vacuum than cooperate with the Imps, sweetie. Whatever she's doing, you can rest assured that it ain't helping those bucketheads."

"She'll meet us before we bust out of here," Conn said. "She's more than capable of taking care of herself, so I'd not worry about it." He gripped his pistol tighter. "I'm more concerned about us right now."

Old 09-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #668
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Looking over at Conn, Ryshana could sense his concern and his fear. Closing her eyes to concentrate, she could sense the Darkside all around her. Feeling across to the other side of the doorway, she felt something she didn't expect. The disinterest the clones had displayed before was replaced by alertness. They were preparing for something, and now, she couldn't help but to sense that they were about to charge right into the teeth of the trap.

Even then, Ryshana could sense that they were expecting lightly armed resistance and not two Jedi and a Padawan armed with lightsabers.

"Well, our audience awaits," Ryshana commented as she finally produced something that resembled a comlink. "Its a tracking device that Cloud rigged up for me. It operates on a secure channel that only the Echo can understand. When I activate this, the Echo should pick up the signal and the location. Then, they'll come into to pick us up. Fortunately, it has two settings: one for a hot pickup and one for a secured pickup. Apparently, this is going to be a hot pickup, when we're ready," Ryshana stated as she looked over at Jeez for confirmation. With a nod of his head, Ryshana then pressed a small code into the comlink which activated the hot pickup signal for the Echo.

Quickly placing it in her pocket, Ryshana held her lightsaber as the faced the door.

Why do I always have to get stuck fixing this blasted door? They need to get somebody to start paying attention to the cart loads instead, a man stated as he walked over to the lift from the mines in the hangar. Stopping by the panel in next to the door, he put in the code to silence the alarm and to signal that he was working on the repair.

"Hey you!! Get out of there!" a Stormtrooper shouted behind him. Turning around, the man noticed that the trooper had his rifle aimed right at him.

"What's going on? I got the signal that this door needed fixing again, and I'm doing my job," the man stated as he put his hands up behind his head.

"Just move out of the way," the trooper said as he signaled for the technician to get behind him.

Shaking his head out of disinterest, the man put his arms down and turned to grab his tools. Glancing at the door, he watched as the door suddenly blew outwards into the hangar. Looking into the lift, the technician watched in amazement as two lightsabers ignited and five people came running out into the hangar with a cart of ore levitated in front of them. Realizing that a firefight was about to erupt, the technician left his tools by the lift and made a beeline for the exit.

Blue stun bolts quickly began to fly everywhere from in front of them as the Stormtroopers quickly opened fire. With the cart serving as cover, though, most of the bolts impacted the cart while the rest flew harmlessly by. Setting the cart down with the Force, Jeez vaulted up over the cart and then began deflecting the bolts even from midair. "Move it!!" Jeez shouted to Ryshana and Beryl who were still behind the cart.

Seeing the two lightsabers and Jeez standing in front of the cart deflecting the stun bolts back towards the troopers, the Stormtroopers quickly began to move under cover.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #669
starmark2k

Nic watched as he looked out of the window and saw the Echo exit hyperspace where they had arranged for it to do so earlier. He knew this meant Ryshanna had activated the Homing signal and that meant the timers on the explosives had activated. He had a minuet before they exploded and Nic couldn’t help but smile.

“Captain I’m p…” An officer began to inform.

“I see it.” Captain Raikellii Interrupted. “Have the ship brought into weapons range and prepare to fire.”

Nic watched the ship approach while kneeling next to his brother, he continued the count down in his head to be sure of when it would happen.

“I never cheated.” Nic stated continuing to look out the forward screen.

“Excuse me.” His brother said surprised at the sudden otburst.

“I never cheated Kriss, I just knew how to work around the rules bend them a little.” Nic as the timer in his head hit fifteen seconds. “But You are right about one thing… I always have something up my sleeve.”

“What!” Kriss asked looking down at his brother only to feel a sudden shockwave ripple through the whole ship, Some of the men got knocked down and the lights flashed briefly. When all had finally settled everyone looked out of the window and could se the ship was in a slow spin. “What in the nine hells just happened?”

“Detonations in engines and primary Tractor beam control… We’ve lost both systems, in a slow spin as well sir, we can’t correct it.” A nearby officer informed.

Kriss looked down at his captive brother with anger and then turned to his commander. “Get him out of here now!”

The commander and two stormtroopers ran in and grabbed Nic by the arms, they had to drag him as he was not willing to go. “What’s wrong Kriss, I thought you wanted me to this?!?!”

“Launch every Tie we’ve got!” Kriss ordered as Nic was dragged through the door. “Bring that ship down!”
Old 09-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #670
steven
^I'm with Genius^

Location: Doesn't matter. The question u should be asking is "where r u?"
"Did your virus work?" Cloud asked as he watched the explosion erupt from the Dreadnoughts and watched as it unleashed it's payload of tie fights.
"Probably not, like I said, it's meant for the wrong ship, but oh well, things are going just as fine," Jack said before twirling around his seat to face the comms. He picked up the microphone attached to the comm console he had fitted in to fix the old comm voice system he broke last month. "Ladies and gentle. Due to imperial intervention we could suffer from some slight turbulence or explode. To make sure the latter doesn't happen, get your ass into one of the turrets..That goes for you too Cloud."
"But I don't know how to use a turret..." Cloud complained
"Cloud, you move a stick and press a button, It's not hard believe me," Jack said as he accelerated in the prison's direction.

Make love, not toast.
steven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #671
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Blaster in her left hand and lightsaber in the other, Beryl charged forward at Jeez's command. She was getting better with the lightsaber, but she was still more comfortable with the blaster. And it showed.

As she came out from behind the cart, she shot at the troopers shooting at Jeez once, and immediately hit a Stormtrooper directly in the shoulder. The blaster bolt didn't go through his heavy armor, though it did knock him back a few steps and threw him into the line of fire of his Stormtrooper buddy standing just behind him, and that had the knock-on effect of interrupting two of the troopers with the one shot.

Her second shot didn't hit anything but a cable tie on the wall. At first glance, it looked like her second shot had missed, but like her first shot, she had used the Force to aid her aim. It had hit exactly where she had meant it to. The freed cable end shot upwards to the ceiling with a 'zing' while the other end, attached to an ore container half filled with ore and suspended on a crane up above them, plunged down spilling large chunks of ore in the direction of the Clone troopers. The few that were shooting at Ryshana and Beryl had to duck back into the corridor to avoid being crushed by the moving debris.

With the coast clear for the moment, Beryl and Ryshana ran towards the docked freighters on their right to guard the group's flank and provide cover for Jeez's group to move.

"Hey, I think I'm getting the hand of this Force stuff!" Beryl called out to Ryshana as they ran.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #672
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

As the Stormtroopers backed away into cover, Jeez saw what he had expected: the Stormtroopers were moving to outflank them on the left side with one squad while the other squads remained where they were to provide covering fire. The blue stun bolts were also replaced with red blaster bolts in a matter of seconds. Well, it looks like somebody is changing their tune rather quickly, Jeez thought to himself as he continued to provide cover for Conn and Sam.

Signaling Sam and Conn to move, Jeez started to slide over to his right. Sam was quick to lay down some cover fire with Jeez's hold-out blaster while Conn quickly ran towards several cargo canisters for cover. With Jeez standing still and deflecting shots away like a madman, Sam quickly ran over to join Conn.

Seeing Conn's nervous expression as she joined him behind the cargo canisters, Sam teased, "What's wrong?? Aren't you having fun?"

Almost in a direct answer to her question, a blaster bolt impacted the freighter right above them, sending a shower of sparks raining down on top of them.

"Hey, I think I'm getting the hand of this Force stuff!" Beryl called out to Ryshana as they ran.

"Good, just keep concentrating," Ryshana yelled out in encouragement. As Ryshana continued to run, she noticed that one of the freighters had a small turret out and moving around. "Beryl, give me some cover," Ryshana yelled out as she went over to the turret on the freighter. Putting up her lightsaber on her belt, Ryshana quickly got to work on rewiring the turret. Removing the wires that controlled the turret's targeting and movement motors, Ryshana then started reworking the connections so that the turret could move independently of whomever was behind the controls.

Then, several blaster bolts began to impact around her sending sparks everywhere. Cursing in twi'liki, Ryshana then quickly ducked behind a cargo canister. Concentrating on the turret with the Force, Ryshana began to manipulate the signals going into the turret. As she now controlled the turret, Ryshana began to concentrate on the area around where the main Stormtroopers were located.

The turret then began letting out a stream of blaster bolts in fully automatic fire. The blaster bolts were landing all over the place around the Stormtroopers, and several of the Clones took direct hits and went down for good.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #673
JasraLantill
No One Liners

"Sir?" The guard sitting at the scanner station in the prison's hanger control tower turned around to catch Admiral Quitaan's attention. "I'm picking up a small freighter on a vector heading our way. It's not emitting Imperial transponder codes and there's not a pick-up scheduled for eight more hours."

The Admiral briefly looked over his shoulder at the guard, and then turned back to the window. "I wouldn't worry about the freighter. Captain Raikelli on the Reaper will take care of it." Suddenly, his eyes narrowed as he thought he had seen some blaster flashes, but before he could confirm them, his comlink bleeped.

"Sir? Payne here. I've just received word of a severe malfunction aboard the Reaper. I'm afraid we'll have to put back your scheduled departure time to...."

"What sort of 'malfunction'?" the Admiral interrupted.

"Erm...." There was silence on the line for a moment, and then, "Main engines and tractor beam control, sir. The Reaper reports they are adrift, but they are aiming to restore power in a few hours."

"A few hours?" The Admiral's jaw set, his eyes narrowed, and his left eyebrow twitched. "Keep me posted on their progress, and implement plan 'B'. Now."

"Plan 'B', sir?" There was a short pause. "Erm... yes, sir."

"Quitaan, out," the Admiral said abruptly, and tapped his comlink off. He wheeled around to face the control tower staff, his normally impassive face reddening with anger and his eyes mere slits. "You!" he said, pointing to the nearest guard. "Give me your blaster."

The guard gave him a confused look. "My blaster, sir?" A glare from the Admiral that could freeze water on Tatooine was all that the guard needed to quickly hand over his blaster without further question.

As the Admiral strode purposefully towards the door, blaster in one hand, he tapped his comlink with the other. "Sergeant, I'm on my way down to meet you. The only one I want alive is the blonde. All others, shoot to kill."

"Shoot to kill. Understood, sir."

"I suppose I'll have to do this myself," the Admiral muttered on his way out the door. "Because you are not escaping me this time, Beryl."

The door shut, and one of the guards scratched his head then turned to his colleague. "Who's Beryl?" he asked, confused.

As Ryshana had worked on the turret, Beryl had been laying down cover fire for her but now that the turret was firing automatically, there wasn't much need for her to do that now. She smiled, amazed at Ryshana's ability to improvise. "Hey, you sure you're not half-Corellian?!" she called out to her mentor between bursts of turret blaster fire.

Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, Beryl saw red blaster bolts begin to shoot towards the freighter and its turret. It just missed them but hit the freighter behind them, spattering them both with a shower of hot sparks. As Ryshana cursed, so did Beryl--not because of the stinging sparks, but because she had completely missed seeing the two stormtroopers who had slipped around the pile of ore debris and were now working their way toward them, hugging the wall and using cargo containers as cover as they fired. "Hey! What happened to the blue stun bolts?!" she asked Ryshana.

Again she let out a barrage of fire to try to keep the troopers from advancing, but it was only by using the Force, which she was feeling more strongly now than ever before, that she was able to keep them marginally at bay.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #674
Rogue Nine
*static*

"What's wrong?? Aren't you having fun?"

"Sam, I think you and I have very different definitions of 'fun'," Conn replied as he squeezed off shots at the stormtroopers, then ducked as blaster bolts impacted above them, showering sparks everywhere. "This is definitely not 'fun' for me," he concluded.

Sam laughed as she continued shooting at the stormies, mowing them down methodically.

Max stuck her tongue out of the corner of her mouth as she welded wires together. She put the finishing touches on it, then shoved the bundle back into the fuse box. Just in the nick of time too, as the ship shook with blaster shots impacting the hull. She clucked her tongue. "Can't you people do things without collateral damage?" she muttered, moving towards the exit ramp. Her plan was to launch the shuttle to provide a distraction for the freighter that was supposed to be picking them up, but as she predicted, things were going slightly awry.

Ducking her head outside, she easily spotted the ragtag band of escapees exchanging fire with the stormtroopers. "Lovely," she breathed as she pulled out her comlink and thumbed it over to Conn's frequency.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 AM   #675
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

"Hey! What happened to the blue stun bolts?!" she asked Ryshana.

"Someone must've decided to fight our fire with equal measure," Ryshana theorized while trying to concentrate on the turret. The fire from the turret continued to impact around the flank of the Stormtroopers, but Ryshana could sense that they were preparing to shift the entire platoon around to put all the pressure on Jeez's left flank. Cursing yet again, Ryshana yelled out, "Beryl! Get around this freighter and find some cover."

Meanwhile, Jeez was starting to rapidly fatigue from the constant blaster deflections, and it showed. Instead of the bolts flying back in the direction of the Stormtroopers, the bolts were now just merely being deflected. Recognizing his own fatigue, Jeez began to back away in the direction of several cargo canisters. That's when he too felt the Stormtroopers were about to make a concerted attempt to outflank Sam, Conn, and himself.

"Next freighter!!" Jeez yelled out with a hint of desperation in a hope that Sam and Conn would understand.

Catching Jeez's statement, Sam motioned for Conn to head over to the next freighter while she popped up and started firing away as fast as she could with the little pistol. Complying and cursing at the same time, Conn quickly sprinted for the next freighter. Diving behind the entrance ramp to the freighter, several blaster bolts impacted around him.

"Now Sam!!" Jeez yelled out. In an instant, Sam ducked back under cover of the canister and pulled out the charge. Kissing the charge for good luck, she then picked out a nice spot beneath the small freighter. Tossing it, Sam quickly ran and dove next to Conn. Just before she landed, a massive explosion rang out in the hangar as the mining charge went off. The freighter quickly blew forward into the section of the hangar. As secondary explosions began to go off on the freighter, several large chunks of the freighter in addition to tons of shrapnel went flying across the hangar.

Sensing one of the larger pieces coming right for him, Jeez quickly lunged forward as the massive hunk of charred metal came crashing down where he previously stood. With everyone momentarily confused and under cover, Jeez swiftly returned to his feet and ran behind several cargo canisters just to the right of Sam and Conn.

Deactivating his lightsaber, Jeez then felt a sharp pain in his lower right leg. Looking down, Jeez could see a moderately sized piece of shrapnel lodged in his leg, and worse, Jeez was bleeding out quickly. Must've hit the vein, Jeez thought to himself. Looking over to at Conn, Jeez signaled that he needed some help.

Without waiting for Conn to arrive, Jeez stuck his head out and spied a blaster rifle from a dead stormtrooper across the hangar. Sticking his hand out, the blaster rifle quickly flew across the hangar and landed right in Jeez's hand. Switching the rifle to single shot mode, Jeez started providing cover fire for Conn.

"But the Admiral is never going to forgive you for this," the aid told Commander Relfa.

"I'm sure that he wouldn't mind the extra support. Besides, I'm not about to let prisoners escape this place while I'm in command," Relfa replied. "Now, I've given you the authorization to send the Riot Troopers into action, so get it done!!"

"Sir yes sir!" the aid replied while snapping a quick salute.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #676
starmark2k

Nic was dragged into the middle of the imperial dreadnaughts Brig, the troopers held his cuffed hands over his head while the Officer walked to the side on the room to an access panel. After typing in a sequence of buttons energy binders shot down from the ceiling and attached to the metallic cuffs around the mercenaries wrists.

The clones let go of his now suspended arms and one took a blindfold out of his belt pouch to wrap it around the prisoners head. Once again he was left hanging on his knees blindfolded with his bruised and cut torso in the open air.

The officer walked up to him and bent down so his head was closer to that of Nic’s. “When the Admiral puts that girl of yours in the captains custody, you’ll pay for what you’ve done to his ship!”

Nic’s mouth turned into a grin for the briefest moments before his head lurched forwards and smacked into the officer nose with great force. The officer stumbled backwards grabbing his now bleeding nose with his hands, One of the stormtroopers retaliated for his commander by smacking the butt of his rifle into Nic’s chin.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #677
Rogue Nine
*static*

"Doc, I think our Jedi buddy needs a hand," Sam told Conn between shots.

"Eh?" Conn asked, looking over at her, then at Jeez standing about a half dozen meters away behind cover, shooting at the stormies. He was favoring his right leg though, and upon closer inspection, Conn saw the reason why. Grabbing his medical kit, he slung it over his shoulder and started towards Jeez. "I thought Jedi were supposed to be invincible," he muttered under his breath as he ducked his way over.

Sam laughed mirthlessly. "They bleed like everyone else, Conn," she replied. Pulling a flash grenade off her belt, she hurled it towards the stormtroopers while simultaneously yelling at Conn, "Go!"

The grenade exploded, splashing bright light everywhere and Conn rolled over to where Jeez stood. Extracting a pair of syringes, he plunged both of them into Jeez's leg a few inches above the wound. He felt the Jedi's muscles tense for a few moments, then relax as the fast-acting painkillers and numbing agents worked their way around the area. "Stand still," Conn instructed as he set his kit down and got to work. Using a pair of fine tweezers, he gently extracted the piece of shapnel. It came away cleanly, as the edge that had embedded in itself Jeez's leg was not serrated. The wound still continued to bleed out, however, so Conn staunched it quickly with a pad of gauze. After a few tense moments, he pulled away slowly and peered at the gash. The numbing agents he'd injected Jeez with also acted as a coagulant, speeding up the clotting of the blood. It still bled, but not as profusely. Conn cleaned it up as best as he could without irritating the skin, then fastened a large bacta patch over it. Looking up at Jeez, he saw that the tall Jedi was still concentrating fire at the stormies, no traces of pain on his face. Conn couldn't help but admire his resolve.

"Try not to put too much weight on that leg for a few minutes," Conn told Jeez, who smirked.

"As if, Doc," the Jedi gritted out, still laying down blaster fire.

Conn was about to reply when he felt his comlink buzz. Ducking down next to Jeez, he whipped it out of his pocket and brought it to his ear to better hear it over the screaming of the blasters. "Harlowe."

"Conn." Max's voice sounded oddly undistorted and clear. "Are you going to get the shield deactivated?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Shield?"

An exasperated sigh. "The containment field around the hangar for when your rescue party arrives."

"I thought that was a magcon field that allowed ships to pass through but keep the atmosphere out," Conn reasoned.

"Yes, but only if you have the proper clearance codes!" Max shouted. "Do they have them?"

Conn thought for a few moments, wondering if Beryl's plan had included such a detail. "No, most likely not," he finally responded.

"Lovely." Max's voice dripped with sarcasm. "Do you have any idea when they'll be coming 'round?"

"Any minute now!"

"I thought as much," Max said, sounding resigned. "I'll take care of it. Max out."

Conn thumbed his comlink off and stared at it for a few long seconds. "Lovely indeed," he breathed tiredly.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #678
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Ryshana could sense that they were preparing to shift the entire platoon around to put all the pressure on Jeez's left flank. Cursing yet again, Ryshana yelled out, "Beryl! Get around this freighter and find some cover."

Beryl did and soon she had her back against a nearby cargo container. Without looking or leaving cover, she raised her blaster above her head and let of a series of rapid shots at the troopers, letting the Force guide her aim. Then she took a quick peek, before shooting again.

"There's only one guy left near the corridor across from us," she called out to Ryshana. "I could take him out and then give cover to Jeez from that side, while you cover him from here."

Ryshana shook her head. "No, I sense they're trying to flank us from the left. We need to hold our positions until the Echo arrives."

Beryl gave Ryshana a confused look. "But...." She motioned with a nod over to the lone trooper who was hunkered down behind some cargo containers and taking pot shots at them. He had been guarding the last corridor that led from the barracks block into the hanger, but now, as the clones regrouped, he was alone. "I can take him."

"No. These aren't your run-of-the-mill prison guards, Beryl. They are clone troopers."

"I can take him!" Beryl insisted. "And then I can give Jeez some cover." She looked towards where Jeez was. Oddly, Conn was now right beside him and it looked like he was tending a wound on Jeez's leg. She frowned. "Which it looks to me like he badly needs," she added. Seeing Jeez injured and Conn more or less in the line of fire spurred her determination and she felt the Force grow strong within her. When there was a slight break in the clones' firing pattern, she ignited her lightsaber.

Before Ryshana could tell her 'no', Beryl leapt from behind the container and charged forward across the hanger bay, deflecting bolts coming at her as she ran. It wasn't as difficult as she had imagined it would be, and her confidence grew. It grew even more as her deflected bolts hit back against the troopers who had initially fired them. And it grew even more when she used the Force to abruptly sling away the cargo container the lone clone trooper was using as cover as if it were a small saltpot instead of a bulk ore carrier. And when she ran the trooper through with her lightsaber, she was on a definite high.

She heard a scuffling noise in the corridor that the clone had been guarding, and since she was feeling so confident and she was obviously on a roll, she decided to try to take out any reserve troopers that might be coming down the corridor to....

But as she came around the corner, she froze. "Oh, son of a gundark...!" She barely had time to duck out of the way before the repeating blaster fired at her. Dodging some of the shots and using her lightsaber to deflect others, Beryl exited the corridor and made her way quickly back to where Ryshana was.

"Erm... I think we might have made them a bit angry," she said to her master, her breathing heavy from exertion. "They're breaking out the heavy artillery." She gave Ryshana a look. "I thought they wanted us alive, or at the very least, whole."

Old 09-29-2007, 02:11 AM   #679
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

"Beryl!!" Jeez started to yell as soon as she ran past him. "D*** it, why can't you people stick to a plan!?!"

"But I-" Conn started to say.

"Nevermind. We've got a lot of trouble heading our way though," Jeez stated as he could feel something ominous looming in the Force. Ducking back behind the cargo canister, he could feel Beryl running back to Ryshana. "All for the heroics. She's more reckless than I thought."

Looking over to his left, Jeez spotted Sam and motioned for her to make a run for his position. As soon as she moved, Jeez popped back up and put down covering fire. Making a baseball slide, Conn caught the mischievous grin on Sam's face. Popping back down into cover, Jeez turned around and said, "Look, something is coming, and we need to regroup with Ryshana and Beryl. When I give the signal, all three of us will make a run for it." Looking over at Sam, Jeez then tossed her his blaster rifle. "Take it. You'll need it."

Brandishing his lightsaber, Jeez then waited a moment. "Just a moment, our timing needs to be flawless."

Across the hangar, the Riot Troopers had finally arrived. Wearing even heavier armour than the standard Stormtrooper armour, these troopers were also equipped with larger and heavier blaster rifles. To help the process of pinning down the ragtag group of enemies, they also brought along two E-Web heavy repeating blasters. Using a hovering platform, they quicklly moved them into position and set them so that they were slightly under cover.

A Stormtrooper ran over to speak with the ranking Riot trooper.

"Sergeant?? What's the situation?" the Riot Trooper asked.

"Sir, we've got at least five combatants, three of them are possibly Jedi as they're using lightsabers. Two of them are camped out at the end of the hangar beside the last freighter, and they seem to be controlling a turret attached to that freighter which is making it difficult to maneuver past its cone of fire. The other three are hunkered down at the far end of the third freighter, and their currently staying under cover. Right now, that destroyed freighter is blocking any attempt at outflanking them from that side as anyone will be too exposed to their fire. Do you need anything else, sir?"

"We need to establish a plan of action. What we'll do is we'll use the heavy guns to pin them down from our current position. In the meantime, you're men will go to the other end of the hangar while my men take up positions to our immediate left. That should provide enough concentrated fire to allow us clear shots, and if those Jedi decide to leave cover, they'll have too much firepower trained on them to be any good. Are we clear?"

"Sir, yes sir! It will be done," the Stormtrooper Sergeant replied as he turned around and started issuing orders of his own.

Suddenly, it seemed that the ground around them was alight with sparks as Sam, Conn, and Jeez hunkered down behind the cargo canisters. "E-Webs!! I thought you were waiting for some "flawless moment"?" Sam stated cynically as her smile quickly faded.

"I *am* waiting for a flawless moment. Those E-Webs have a specific cooling cycle which will allow us about two seconds to provide a distraction," Jeez replied.

"That's not much time to put a distraction in place," Conn commented.

"Like I said, our timing needs to be flawless. If not, well, I hope you have some life insurance," Jeez commented as he tried to concentrate.

"Well, that's reassuring," Conn stated sarcastically.

As they waited for a couple of moments, Jeez then yelled, "NOW!!" Almost as soon as the three of them started moving, the E-Webs stopped firing as they stopped automatically to cool. Activating his lightsaber, Jeez then reached out his hand towards one of the larger pieces of wreckage. Lifting it into the air, the wreckage suddenly flew outwards towards the E-Webs as Jeez used the Force. At the same moment, Jeez began deflecting what seemed to be hundreds of blaster bolts away from Sam, Conn, and himself. Meanwhile, the E-Web operators grabbed their E-Webs and started to pull them out of the way, and the massive piece of wreckage landed and slid harmlessly by them.

Finally reaching Ryshana and Beryl's position, Sam and Conn quickly moved behind cover as Jeez continued to deflect blaster bolts until he finally dropped behind a cargo canister himself. "Nice of you to join us," Ryshana commented dryly as everyone piled in.

"Yeah, well, our hosts weren't very hospitable so we decided to join you instead," Jeez replied. "How much longer till that turret fails?"

"Not much longer," Ryshana stated as she concentrated on the turret a bit. Indeed, the liquid pumps were already working overtime to cool the turret, but it was quickly becoming a worthless endeavor. After a couple of moments, the cooling fluid began to vaporize inside the coolant lines, and steam began shooting out of an emergency release valve. Finally, the safety diodes kicked in, and the turret finally ceased firing.

Almost in a triumphant chorus to celebrate the moment, the E-Webs opened fire yet again which forced Sam and Beryl back behind the cargo canisters as the blaster bolts sent sparks flying everywhere around them. "So, what now?" Ryshana asked as she looked over at Jeez.

Thinking for just a moment, Jeez suddenly got an idea. "Sam, Conn, you stay here. Ryshana and Beryl, you're with me." As Beryl and Ryshana gathered around Jeez, he then said, "Alright, we need to wait for another cooling cycle on those E-Webs. When that happens, we'll go back down towards the cargo lift. Once we get behind that wrecked freighter, we'll need to concentrate on how to take out those E-Webs. If we don't, our ride out of here is going to be a very short one because they'll rip that ship to shreds in a hurry."

Pausing, Jeez looked right at Beryl and said, "And you, don't do anything wreckless this time. The last thing we need right now is for you to go on some banzai charge again and get tagged by those E-Webs. Stick to the plan."

"What do we do? Sit tight and try to play catch with the Stormies' grenades?" Sam asked.

"No, I need y'all to provide us with some cover fire if at all possible. Try to keep those heavy troopers behind cover as best as you can manage," Jeez replied.

As blaster bolts continued to ricochet and impact around them, Jeez waited yet again. Finally, Jeez gave the signal, and they quickly turned the corner while activating their lightsabers. Hitting their cooling cycle, the E-Webs quit firing which gave Sam and Conn an opening to fire from cover from their position while the three Jedi sprinted towards the wrecked freighter while deflecting blaster bolts that came their way.

Just when they were about 5 meters from the freighter, the E-Webs finished their cooling cycle and opened fire yet again. Targeting the Jedi, the blaster bolts from the E-Webs came dangerously close to hitting the Jedi, but before they could find their mark, the three Jedi were finally behind the wrecked freighter.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #680
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Her back against a large piece of debris that used to be the hull of the freighter, Beryl found herself sandwiched in-between Ryshana and Jeez as the E-Webs continued to fire. “Well, isn’t this cosy,” she commented dryly over the noise. “Now what?”

“We wait for the next cooling cycle,” Jeez said. “And then, we…”

Quite unexpectedly, there was complete silence. All weapons fire had ceased. Jeez frowned slightly. This pause was no cooling cycle.

“Yeah, and then we what?” Beryl whispered expectantly.

Jeez held up a hand to silence her. “Shh! Something’s changed. Listen….”

“… told you that I wanted her alive!” An angry male voice could be heard from within the corridor that led to the barracks. “Now, get that thing out of my way! Now!” There was a slight amount of scuffling and then a few sharp, measured footsteps. And then silence again.

A blaster in one hand, Admiral Berasmus Quitaan stood hands on hips beside one of the E-Webs and surveyed the scene before him. One destroyed freighter, two slightly damaged, and another with steam coming from its overheated turret gun. A few dead troopers, several cargo containers damaged, and a huge pile of raw ore dumped on the hanger deck. He let out a huge condemnatory sigh.

“Beryl?”

“Oh, no.” Beryl’s eyes widened as she recognised her brother’s voice. “It’s Nuss.” She bit her lip, unsure whether or not she should answer.

Ryshana prodded her in the ribs. “Answer him,” she said. “Maybe we can negotiate our way out of this.”

“Or into something worse,” Jeez said warily.

“Beryl?” the Admiral called out again. “I know you’re here. Come out, please. I just want to talk to you.”

“They’re not shooting at us,” Ryshana reminded Jeez. “At the very least, talking might buy us some time.” She nudged Beryl again. “Answer him.”

Beryl cringed. “Ok, fine,” she whispered reluctantly. She took a deep breath then shouted back at her brother. “What do you want, Nuss?”

The Admiral’s lip twitched at the corner, his version of a grin. “Are you alright?” he asked.

Beryl frowned quizzically. “Am I alright? Your men are shooting at me and my friends with heavy repeating blasters and you’re asking me if I’m alright?”

“Yes, I’m sorry about that,” the Admiral said, taking a step forward. “Communications error. They weren’t supposed to kill you. Only detain you.”

“Uh-huh, right, sure,” Beryl replied cynically, earning her a nudge in the ribs from Ryshana’s elbow. “So, what do you want, Nuss?”

“Actually, I’d like to know what you want,” the Admiral said. “You and your ‘friends’. You’ve done an awful lot of damage here today. A huge waste of Imperial credits.”

“Well… we….”

“We want a transport, supplied, fuelled, and ready to go,” Sam yelled from the other side of the hanger. “Or Doc Conn here gets it!”

Beryl blinked with disbelief, wondering if she heard Sam right. Then she grinned as she figured out what her friend was doing. “Yeah!” Beryl said. “We want a transport and a way out of here!”

“So, the good doctor is your hostage?” The normally stoic Admiral suddenly laughed.

“Uh oh….” Beryl slumped down against the debris. “Not good. He never laughs.”

“Oh, Beryl, please,” the Admiral called out to her. “It doesn’t have to be like this. I don’t want to hurt you. I certainly don’t want to kill you. Just come out so we can talk. It’s so ‘uncivilised’ shouting to you like this.”

Not moving from her cover, Beryl called out, “Ok, here’s what I want, Nuss. You let my friends go, and I’ll come with you. Quietly,” she added.

“We tried that once, Beryl, remember? That’s how you’re in this situation in the first place. No, you’ll have to have a better offer than that. By the way, how did you like your ryshcate?”

“It was fine. Thanks.” Beryl frowned. “Wait… you didn't poison it or something, did you?”

“No, I didn’t poison it.” The Admiral rolled his eyes, in the same manner as Beryl would have. “Although, I suppose on reflection perhaps I should have. So, are you going to make me a reasonable offer, Beryl, or do you really want me to shoot you?”

“Hey, no one’s forcing you to shoot us,” Beryl retorted. “Just… let us go. What’s a few lousy prisoners worth anyway?”

“’Lousy’ ones? Very little.” The Admiral paused a moment, and glanced down at his comlink. “Lightsabers… a very interesting choice of weapon for a ‘lousy’ prisoner, don’t you think?”

Beryl sighed. “This isn’t going very well,” she said to Ryshana.

“You always did like to move in the elite circles, Beryl,” the Admiral continued. "Good to know that hasn't changed much." He sighed then, hit a small button on his comlink, and then said, “If you’re not going to negotiate with me, perhaps one of your ‘lousy’ friends might?”