lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Death Moves in Kotor 3.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
kotorfan84
Rookie

Death Moves in Kotor 3.

This may have been asked, but I would love to see some decapitations, arm slicing and lightsabers in the gut.
kotorfan84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, if anything it would be a "hidden" thing accessable only thru cheats and what not.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Hmmm, not sure about that. The D20 rules do allow for it, but even so, I don't want KotOR3 to become the Star Wars version of Mortal Kombat or its ken. Somehow that sounds more like a slash-fest than a heavily plot-driven CRPG to me.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Shuma
Rookie

Doubtfull, it would be rated Mature with the level of detail of a new engine, and i doubt lucasarts would like that, since most of it's games are rated Teen or below.

Shuma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

A frontal lobotomy in a Star Wars game, no thanks. I think there are levels of graphic that are reached when deciding to sell a game...

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
actually, something on par with the dueling animations used in "Medieval 2: Total War" would be cool. you don't have to have limb removal to have a cool takedown. imagine the satisfaction of seeing your character perform a final, brutal takedown on K3's final boss.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #7
The Sith'ari

Well, if the combats are really going real-time, I'd like the fighting to be more realistic than it was. More realistic but not necessarily mean more gore. I don't know about seeing arms severed- would that mean that the PC would possibly be sliced an arm too? I'm not sure if that would be cool... perhaps then the PC can get a mechanic arm?

Anything more than that would be unnecessary, perhaps, for a RPG-driven game like KotOR.
The Sith'ari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 02:37 AM   #8
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

While LA has a policy against adding visceral action in SW games, I'd love a good dismemberment or two. It wasn't possible in KotOR I and II due to engine limitations. From what I see, the only way KotOR III will make a mark in competition, will be by advancing tis physics seriously. And I think a good slice from a lightsaber would physically cut off a hand, or a leg.

Very likely.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 04:19 AM   #9
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Hmmm, not sure about that. The D20 rules do allow for it, but even so, I don't want KotOR3 to become the Star Wars version of Mortal Kombat or its ken. Somehow that sounds more like a slash-fest than a heavily plot-driven CRPG to me.
Is that Ken line a stab at my avatar? And I for one would love to see death moves. Bow down before the might of Darth_Kotor!

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 04:57 AM   #10
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Hmm, anyone remember JK and the dismemberment code?

So, yeah, i wouldn't mind, but maybe only by code.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Kotor
Is that Ken line a stab at my avatar?
Not at all. It's just a word. It's misspelled too. It should have been "kin". Originally I typed "ilk" and should probably have stuck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Kotor
And I for one would love to see death moves. Bow down before the might of Darth_Kotor!
I don't mind dismemberment in games as such, really. I'm not squeamish about these things and have no problem watching a complete slash-fest, if the tone of the material calls for it. I just don't think it does in Star Wars' case, and even less so, if it's done for the sake of splatter-effects. I want the focus on good, plot-driven CRPG. I don't want it to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That said, hand or arm here and there wouldn't cause me trouble. Heck, we even had that in TSL, though dictated by the plot.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #12
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Actually I don't think it means that your character would lose an arm or soemthing. Maybe its just like what happens when you do "jedirealisticcombat" in JK/JA series, where if you kill someone body parts on the floor are separated.

Nothing too gorey but it does help if it looks less of a "guy sleeping on the floor fading away" Most games woudl include a bit of blood and things on the dead bodies just to make them more obvious, a darkened/separated/etc body and such would be quite effective in this role depending on what your killing hit is, without being way too bloody like fatalitying someone by ripping out his backbone.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
Master Kavar

If the enemy ended up with some random form of dismemberment after the final blow with a lightsaber, that would be great. Though I don't want to input codes or button sequences to pull it off, seems frivilous.
Master Kavar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
Jeremia Skywalk
Rookie

I totaly agree the idea- what is Star Wars without cutting arms off?
Jeremia Skywalk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #15
Vaelastraz
Veteran

As far as I know, you could cut arms off in JK JA.

I'd like it if it were to be implemented, but it is on rank #421 on my priority list...
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
kotorfan84
Rookie

I don't mean anything like Mortal Kombat, one of the options I stated was a lightsaber in the gut, like the way Maul killed Qui Gon Jin. And I would want it to be a random occurence in the game (the arm slicing and decapitations anyway, maybe like 1 in 40 or so kills)
kotorfan84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #17
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
As far as I know, you could cut arms off in JK JA.

I'd like it if it were to be implemented, but it is on rank #421 on my priority list...
Yes, that's pretty much how I feel about it too.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #18
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'd like realism in the animations. The idea that someone can get stabbed in the heart and keep fighting it ridiculous.

I'd much rather time be spent on the story, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #19
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
It would be cool to see the guys crippling the rivals, like this cutting arms thing, and the like. But not just 'cause its cool'. It should influence the gameplay, like an enemy that lost the bones of one of the legs, cant move or something (ok, that was a awful example, but i think u got the idea).
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #20
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

An arm removal every now and then wouldn't hurt. Just nothing over the top like decapitations with gallons of blood gushing out from the now open neck of you're victim. And the combat really needs to be improved. There was a slight improvement from KotOR 1 to KotOR 2, but just adding a little set of moves for each kind of attack and not doing the exact same movement over and over again wasn't quite enough. It should be more real-time but not like the combat of JK. Still be where you just click a certain attack and it does it for you, but you're opponent shouldn't just stand there and take it, waiting for you to get done so he can attack. Make it more like lightsaber battles in the movies where there's actual contact between your's and you're opponent's blade. It just seems a bit like they're all kids fighting over whose turn to attack it is.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #21
Jediphile
Persona non grata

The real problem with dismemberment or any other sort of "critical hit" system is that it has to be applied broadly to all combatants, including the main pc and his/her companions.

Over time, this will mean that the main characters will lose arms and legs, since they fight all the time and the chance is always there.

The only way to avoid that would be to reload constantly, which is boring. I suppose that's one reason why they haven't done it already.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #22
dede_frost
Rookie

Well... I don't think a dismemberment in the middle of a fight would work.... but if it were just like a final move when the charracter dies.... yeah... I wouldn't mind that (not prioritary, though). What Also, they should't go all kill bill blood style and stuff....
dede_frost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2006, 08:55 PM   #23
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I'd much rather time be spent on the story, though.
Indeed. Let's concentrate on the storyline...at least it brings something to the game. This is a RPG after all. I don't feel the need to see heads and legs flying around like soccer balls in my game.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2006, 09:11 PM   #24
Anakin Skywalker
Argetlam

Helpful! 
I'd love to be able to activate your lightsaber whenever you want and not have feats for combat.... and you be able to slice at anyone throughout the game.
Anakin Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2006, 02:09 AM   #25
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
I don't feel the need to see heads and legs flying around like soccer balls in my game.
Now that is cool.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2006, 02:22 AM   #26
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Perhaps the death moves could be rarities that are only seen sometimes. It wasn't everyday that someone's arm was cut off by me in JA.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2006, 04:16 AM   #27
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
@Jediphile- OK, i'm just asking
@Pottsie- I totaly agree with that, wouldn't it have been cool decapitating traya in TSL?

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #28
Vaelastraz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
The real problem with dismemberment or any other sort of "critical hit" system is that it has to be applied broadly to all combatants, including the main pc and his/her companions.

Over time, this will mean that the main characters will lose arms and legs, since they fight all the time and the chance is always there.

The only way to avoid that would be to reload constantly, which is boring. I suppose that's one reason why they haven't done it already.
Not if those dismemberments only occur on the death blow. Just like in JK, when you hit someone and it is lethal, he can loose his head, arms, legs, or whatever.

Other than that, stick to the health points system 99% of all games use. It's there for a reason.
I wouldn't want a feature like that in Kotor III: "OUCH, that guy wounded my leg with that vibro sword! I can move only at 30% of normal speed now, and I will drop to the floor every 24 seconds! I better hurry and cure my wounds, unless i want to die from blood loss in 4 minutes..."
Old 12-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #29
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Hey, maybe we could use implants to replace useless limbs and organs.

"Oh, that vibroblade guy seems to have taken my hand. Oh well, no problem, I think I will pay a visit to Grievous and see if he can help me with the dirt work!"

No, but seriously now, the implants would be a good escape from these 'rare' situations
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #30
Clone L68362
Forumite

I just like to pretend the lightsabers of the Old Republic Jedi weren't capable of cutting off flesh. That way we don't have to worry about your own characters losing arms and stuff.

My sig is stupid.
Clone L68362 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #31
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone L68362
I just like to pretend the lightsabers of the Old Republic Jedi weren't capable of cutting off flesh. That way we don't have to worry about your own characters losing arms and stuff.
Uhm... but Kreia did...

Old 12-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #32
Vaelastraz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone L68362
Lol...
and why not use normal swords then?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #33
Clone L68362
Forumite

Yeah, forget I said anything. I'll just accept that the engine/gametype/whatever doesn't allow it.

My sig is stupid.
Clone L68362 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2006, 05:17 AM   #34
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsie
Perhaps the death moves could be rarities that are only seen sometimes. It wasn't everyday that someone's arm was cut off by me in JA.
It was for me.

And yeah, i agree with Jediphile, if it would be applied for the enemies, it had to be applied to you too. But i also agree that maybe it should be only like instead of a simple attack final blow, the player would do a dismemberment. For regular enemies, i don't know, superficial yet lethal cut? As for final bosses, they could do with a stab since in both KotOR's, Malak and Traya still have something to say.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #35
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
To badly paraphrase Clinton: "It's the story, stupid!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
Indeed. Let's concentrate on the storyline...at least it brings something to the game. This is a RPG after all. I don't feel the need to see heads and legs flying around like soccer balls in my game.
I'll be very happy to not see dismemberment/decapitation, too. I've seen plenty enough gross stuff. That and it'd remind me of that scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where they've chopped every limb off the bad guy and he still keeps fighting.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #36
Xaris Vynn
Rookie

I don't think decapitations and dismemberment is necessary, but if they use the physics engine in the game it would be cool, so that when you do kill an enemy they fall to the ground in a heap or when you use force push they go flying thru the air with arms and legs flailing.With that said though, The most important part of Kotor III will be the story line and to make sure it is complete and not rushed.
Xaris Vynn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #37
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
BLOOD! Mayhem & gore. Well ok--gotta keep it appropriate for the general audiences if it's going to make more $$$$$$$$$$$. An on/off mode like past games? Like in JK2: Jedi Outcast. It wasn't too bad, you got to hack limbs off the body--except decapitation.

OF course if it is going to be an online game, I suppoe it'd matter best as the server's settings?

Aw what am I saying? How about it's just one way or another?

Personally
I'd go with th realism
Professionally
No, just keep as is. EvIn would be right--too much hassle. Excessive. Kinda like my "Lefty" thing. But we all have our wishes.

Well--should there be a poll on yay or nay?
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #38
ZippyFreak
Lurker

DUH!

Hey Guys, ok only my second post on the forum but hows this for an idea on this front?

A) optional gore/killing blows in options screen.
(of course gore would not be occuring when the guys is sliced by a saber as the wound is cauterized instantly, only for bladed weapons)

B)killing blows only available on the last person of the party you are currently dispatching.
(has anyone played Max Payne? with whole slow frame rate when the last guy of the group your attacking dies?)

AND that they vary depending on your alignment
(i.e darksiders would be brutal as HELL! lightsiders would be clean and efficient)

C) killing blows are governed in a kinda similar way that critical hits work?(im NOT saying replace critical hits) i.e outta the 20 different battles you get say 10 nifty killing blow cutscene type things showing the guy getting a sabre through the gut/beheaded etc. (regular recurrence is debatable/could be depending on certain rolls?? i.e if the final roll that takes away the enemy final HP is above say 14 you get one?)
and also some really REALLY cool ones for bosses!!!

i am against the loss of an arm etc, unless as part of the final cutscene move (darkSider!!!), as this really wont work with the D20 rules surely?!? imean the guys really cant have an arm chopped of run away and they attack you again later can he? (unless storyline) there would be attack/Defense/Dexterity issues there surely?

whaddya think guys?

'I am Darth Randay, kneel before me in fear!!'

'you...you're....your....an Ewok?!?

Last edited by ZippyFreak; 02-09-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Im Stupid and cant spell.
ZippyFreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #39
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I wouldn't mind seeing a few enemy npc's limbs go off now and then, just to enhance the star wars feel a bit.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #40
martmeister
Veteran

Current Game: FO3, G/2, DA, CODMF2
Unfortunately, if you use the lightsabre-slices-off-arm, then you have to use the laser- blast-to-brain-pan-kills model as well. It'd be nice to dispatch peons this way, with stronger opponents having better armor and helmets, but then you'd get the guy where you say, "wtf! I blew out everybody else's eye sockets or beheaded, decapitated, or disembowed every other aggressor and this One Tough Guy wearing friggin' robes and no helmet is barely taking any damage!"

Maybe as finishing moves, but that'd slow down gameplay and take up more time (to make game and to play) and code to make.

Ah, the conundrum of the hitpoints system.
martmeister is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Death Moves in Kotor 3.