lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Most likely fate of KOTOR series
Lucas Arts makes a third enstallment to the series 54 42.19%
Lucas Arts creates a MMORPG based on the same time period 16 12.50%
The fate of Revan, the exile and the True Sith eventually get explained in a star wars comic 18 14.06%
We never find out anything about what happened after KOTOR 2 40 31.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Most likely to happen to the KOTOR series
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
kotorfan84
Rookie

Most likely to happen to the KOTOR series

IMO, a Knights of the old republic game probably won't happen. Just looking at development time, unless the game is being made now, it could take around 3 years to be made. It took about 2 years to make KOTOR 2, but that was using the same engine as the previous enstallment.

If they were to start making the game now, I predict the game wouldn't be ready till Christmas 2011 or so which is 7 years after the last game and there will be very little intrest in the continuation of the story. While star wars is an established brand, KOTOR wasn't established enough to survive a 7 year layoff like a series like Duke Nukem (which isn't story driven, unlike KOTOR).

So what I want to know is what you guys think is most likely to happen with the series (we all want a third enstallment, but it really isn't the most likely scenario).
kotorfan84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
So what I want to know is what you guys think is most likely to happen with the series (we all want a third enstallment, but it really isn't the most likely scenario).
There are two likely options, IMHO: The third game is released with a major delay or KotOR franchise as we know die (MMO or is forsaken). I'm certainly not interested on comics telling canon and whatnot after so many years of having fun with both games.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.

Last edited by Ctrl Alt Del; 03-08-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

The KOTOR series cancelled. It does actually seem better that way, so that you avoid a K3 that is bound to disappoint..and it makes the dark ending of TSL a bit more memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Kas'!m

They might briefly mention it in the next Bane book
Kas'!m is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
Well, we could always peteiton to George Lucas and see if he could deny the rights to Star Wars Games until somebody makes K3, but that's unlikely.

Sithspecter is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Jvstice

I tend to think that a 2010 or 2011 release of a K3 or a Knights mmo are most likely.

"If force is the game, the murderer wins over the pickpocket." Ayn Rand

"Justice is the midpoint between being treated unjustly, and treating others unjustly." Aristotle
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I'd love a KIII, but my guess is there content with the comics to fill that niche, Lucas is all about the "Dark Times" ATM.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I would most definately love a KotOR III. I voted, "Lucas Arts makes a third enstallment to the series", mainly because I think that LA will eventually make KotOR III. I am not expecting it to be soon, but I believe that eventually it will happen.

~Rev

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I think and hope LucasArts will decide to make Kotor3 eventually. The Kotor series has so much potential, that another Kotor game's inevitable. Popularity is still growing (Kotor comics for example).
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
Balderdash
Rookie

A third game, where the plot involves the wholesale slaughter of countless ewoks. We can hope.

Balderdash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I think KotOR is too fruitful a brand for LA to pass out on. I can't say when, but a sequel will definitely come in - or maybe an MMO (the chances for both are lesser, I'd say). Comics and the EU in general will also help keep the game's legacy, but I can't say how truthful they will stay to the game's aesthetic and whether the "Old Republic" we saw in KotOR will be same 10 years from now.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I have no stinkin' idea what LucasArts will do with the KotOR franchise! Of course I do hope we get a third installment in the KotOR series but with the recent departure of Jim Ward likely creating a lack of strategic leadership and LucasArts seemingly needing to support the two new Star Wars TV series with games it doesn't seem like KotOR will be given much attention.

I guess there is always the LucasArts/BioWare project but BioWare's community coordinator recently reconfirmed that it's not KotOR 3. So yeah, I guess I'm feeling rather bleak about getting to play KotOR 3 anytime soon, though I still hold out hope that LucasArts will pick it up again at some point in the future.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, we KNOW that the kotor comic is not going to get cut anytime soon. So my guess is that if LA decides not to go thru with a K3 game then they would let the current comic tell us about what would have happened afterwards.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2008, 02:12 AM   #14
Hayden Kered
Veteran

Helpful! 
I think every thing will be explained in the comics. LucasArts will probably be devoting most of their time on the next Force Unleashed game.

I QUIT LF!
Hayden Kered is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #15
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
I guess there is always the LucasArts/BioWare project but BioWare's community coordinator recently reconfirmed that it's not KotOR 3. So yeah, I guess I'm feeling rather bleak about getting to play KotOR 3 anytime soon, though I still hold out hope that LucasArts will pick it up again at some point in the future.
Well I don't know about you guys, but KotOR or not, anything that is the result of a LucasArts-BioWare collaboration has my attention, especially when it is tagged more as an "interactive experience" instead of a "video game"

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #16
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotorfan84
If they were to start making the game now, I predict the game wouldn't be ready till Christmas 2011 or so which is 7 years after the last game and there will be very little intrest in the continuation of the story.
I disagree completely with that. Jedi Outcast came out almost 5 years after Jedi Knight, and the anticipation for it was incredible. Make no mistake, no matter when K3 comes out, the interest will be huge.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
Adept Havelock
Rookie

Kotor 3 will be made and released...

Unfortunately, it will be a cell-phone specific Java Game.
Adept Havelock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #18
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
That or an exclusive Ngage release.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #19
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotorfan84
IMO, a Knights of the old republic game probably won't happen. Just looking at development time, unless the game is being made now, it could take around 3 years to be made. It took about 2 years to make KOTOR 2, but that was using the same engine as the previous enstallment.

If they were to start making the game now, I predict the game wouldn't be ready till Christmas 2011 or so which is 7 years after the last game and there will be very little intrest in the continuation of the story. While star wars is an established brand, KOTOR wasn't established enough to survive a 7 year layoff like a series like Duke Nukem (which isn't story driven, unlike KOTOR).

So what I want to know is what you guys think is most likely to happen with the series (we all want a third installment, but it really isn't the most likely scenario).
Lol... I am very late to this post.

I happen to agree with you on some level. If you think about how much time has passed, I believe that LA will make a whole new "KotOR" story. Instead of revisiting the past, I think they will consider the series done.

However, at the core of my thoughts on a "KotOR III", I do not think that it will be made. I think they will stick to novels and comics.

I personally believe that "KotOR III" is dead before production.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #20
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
Well I don't know about you guys, but KotOR or not, anything that is the result of a LucasArts-BioWare collaboration has my attention, especially when it is tagged more as an "interactive experience" instead of a "video game"
For sure. No question. I for one will be quite surprised if the LucasArts/BioWare project doesn't turn out to be a Star Wars title. But if the project turns out to be an MMORPG I will have to evaluate it carefully because I really don't have the time to play an MMORPG and continue playing SPRPG's. At this point in time however I prefer SPRPG's over MMORPG's so I would rather see KotOR 3 developed though it doesn't seem like LucasArts has any plans for the KotOR franchise right now.

So much for my delusion about LucasArts taking my wants into consideration.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
Lucas will make a third one but it will be another chapter in the kotor saga. The game will touch on some of the past characters from the series but it will be a whole new story. I have a feeling Lucas is playing with some ideas but they want to not take focus off the game Force Unleashed. If the game is a major hit, the kotor3 will be a huge game since the plan is to merchandise around top games like movies. Its a great tool and very smart if you have a huge hit.

Logan

Kotor: Revenge of Revan
http://kotorrevengeofrevan.wetpaint.com/
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=186405
logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #22
*Don*
Rookie

Realistically speaking, Lucas is a businessman and loves to capitalize on any opportunity that he can find.
KOTOR 3 will eventually be made (hopefully by 2010).

In order to keep the interest alive, the LucasFilms and LucasArts will probably release comics and perhaps collector's editions items that will fuel the eventual arrival of KOTOR III.

"Any fool with a d*ck can make a child, but it takes a real man to raise one..."
- Boyz N The Hood
*Don* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #23
kotorfan84
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Don*
Realistically speaking, Lucas is a businessman and loves to capitalize on any opportunity that he can find.
KOTOR 3 will eventually be made (hopefully by 2010).

In order to keep the interest alive, the LucasFilms and LucasArts will probably release comics and perhaps collector's editions items that will fuel the eventual arrival of KOTOR III.
using this logic, you would think it would have already been made. With atleast a 4 year layoff between the last game and development on this one, intrest is fading. People who were luke warm about Kotor 2, probably have little to no intrest in a third game.

One of the biggest rules in buisness is, it's easier to keep an existing customer intrested than gain the intrest of a new customer.
kotorfan84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #24
JCarter426

Well, they've been keeping people interested with the comics. And even without the comics there are still hundreds of KOTOR fans (we wouldn't be here if we weren't, now would we? ).

And remember that there was a five year gap between JK1 and JK2, though JK2 was far more successful (in terms of sales--not quality, however ).

KOTOR 3 will be made, I have no doubt of that. LA has already milked the Jedi Knight series dry, and they'll soon find that they have nowhere to go with The Force Unleashed. They'll be forced to go back to the KOTOR era sooner or later. It's just a matter of when.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #25
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Actually, I thought JO tied with JK1.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #26
JCarter426

Eh...if we're talking about graphics, then yes. But JK1's story, and even to some degree the gameplay, was far superior.

However, that's beside the point--JK2 came out a full five years after JK1, with even greater success.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #27
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
They will eventually make KIII, its just a question of when...

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #28
Sharen Thrawn
Rookie

I think *sometime* in the future there will be K3 released. Hopefully not before a cold day in hell.
Sharen Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #29
JinSarigit
Rookie

I think KOTOR may be established enough on it's own to survive a 7-year layoff if it in fact came to that. Final Fantasy Tactics came out in 1997, and the sequel didn't see light of day until about 2002-2003 so that's a 5 to 6 year gap without a sequel, and it did pretty well as far as sales go and what not. I think the question here is, will people in our age group still be expectant of a KOTOR-III come that time, and if so, will we play it or even be interested if it comes to waiting for that long?

"We are not tricksters.
We are ambassadors of peace and justice."
―Ferus Olin
JinSarigit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #30
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinSarigit
I think KOTOR may be established enough on it's own to survive a 7-year layoff if it in fact came to that. Final Fantasy Tactics came out in 1997, and the sequel didn't see light of day until about 2002-2003 so that's a 5 to 6 year gap without a sequel, and it did pretty well as far as sales go and what not.
Same with JK2, and that's much closer to home.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #31
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
I think the question here is, will people in our age group still be expectant of a KOTOR-III come that time, and if so, will we play it or even be interested if it comes to waiting for that long?
While I know not what age group you refer to I know that as long as I still have time to play video games I'll purchase KotOR III if and when it comes out.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #32
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
I think the question here is, will people in our age group still be expectant of a KOTOR-III come that time, and if so, will we play it or even be interested if it comes to waiting for that long?
There are a lot of people in all different age groups that play the KotOR series.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #33
Sgt. Strike
Rookie

Here's my thought on the KOTOR stuff. I think that George Lucas is in the process of making the last three movies, as he discussed in the interviews when they first redid the original trilogy, on VHS, and said that he was planning 9 movies, in total. I believe KOTOR III will be released at some point between now and then, in time to also add another, different game, or three, to the mix. One of which can be a MMO, of some sort.

When everything else fails, CHEAT!
Sgt. Strike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 AM   #34
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
im thinking lucas is done here, busy with newer things. but by some chance he believes in the sw trilogy tradition, there'll be ONE MORE!

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #35
Henz

I don't think Lucasarts is stupid enough to leave KOTOR (and Battlefront for that matter) behind. There will be a third. I think Bioware will make it, using the engine created for Mass Effect.
I can't wait for the Force Unleashed to finally see release; not only to play it, but also to see whats next. It is in heavy focus, and we won't know anything about KOTOR III until that has passed. Hell it might even be already in development.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #36
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
There is too much demand for there not to be a third installment.

Where there is money there is games.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #37
HIGH ON PIE 14
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henz
I don't think Lucasarts is stupid enough to leave KOTOR (and Battlefront for that matter) behind. There will be a third. I think Bioware will make it, using the engine created for Mass Effect.
I can't wait for the Force Unleashed to finally see release; not only to play it, but also to see whats next. It is in heavy focus, and we won't know anything about KOTOR III until that has passed. Hell it might even be already in development.
If its already in development, Bioware is not doing it. They havce expressed interest in doing it but unless they are a bunch of liers, they have not even secured the game for themselves yet. Although I would be very pleased with a Bioware K3. True, until FU is released its unlikely that we will hear anything about the development of K3.

As Sgt. Strike pointed out, GL is probly trying to make the next three movies soon. I'm sure that LA has not forgotten about K3, but all this other stuff keeps coming up and delaying production. With the great success of the first two games, I would be very surprised if LA did not make K3.

Viva La Resistance!
HIGH ON PIE 14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #38
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
As Sgt. Strike pointed out, GL is probly trying to make the next three movies soon.
The "next three movies"?

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #39
Corinthian
Banned

The Third Trilogy is a rumor, one that's been going ever since Phantom Menace came out. Nothing more.

KotoR 3 will be made. As will KotoR 4, 5, 6, and most likely 7. Mark my words. This is a cash cow, and LucasArts knows how to milk.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #40
Sgt. Strike
Rookie

When George Lucas redid the original Star Wars trilogy in 1990, on VHS, they included an interview with him and Leonard Martin, I believe. In that, he talks about his big book of Star Wars, and how he is going to put out three new Star Wars movies, take some time off, and make the last three Star Wars movies, to start, and finish, the story of Luke, Leia, and the rest. So, the "rumor" of the third trilogy has been around a lot long than The Phantom Menace. And they could be waiting for GL to start casting for the next movie.

When everything else fails, CHEAT!
Sgt. Strike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Most likely to happen to the KOTOR series