lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: JRHockney's OJP Enhanced code changes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #41
mark2000
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBaldy
The kick seems to be harder to land with the base animation, takes some getting used to but the kicking works more or less the same in terms of causing mishaps. With a change when you have low DP that causes knockdown.
I tried kicking a bot a few times after making successful parries. My kick still went through him and he still didn't show any reaction to it but I kept damaging his shield lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxstate
Juyo has the fastest FP regen of all the styles to permit both more "firepower" and more fancy moves in combat. They're not changed for the rest of them as far as I know.
16 DP damage, fastest FP regen, and quite fast attack animations. Doesn't that make it abit too overpowered?
mark2000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #42
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2000
I tried kicking a bot a few times after making successful parries. My kick still went through him and he still didn't show any reaction to it but I kept damaging his shield lol.

16 DP damage, fastest FP regen, and quite fast attack animations. Doesn't that make it abit too overpowered?
In my latest set all the animations have been balanced qua speed.

And compared to the rest, it is pretty balanced. FP doesn't regenerate while you hold your mouse button, so to fully benefit from Juyo's perks you'll need to adapt to a new fighting system.

Maxstate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #43
JackBaldy
Rookie

I've been playing a bit with Hock's latest code changes and Juyo with base animations and those perks does not seem overpowering. o.o

*edit* The base kick seems to be very difficult to hit someone who is moving, I mostly land it on moving opponents when they are moving towards me. Very different from the previous kick we had, but I don't mind it being more difficult to use.
JackBaldy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #44
mark2000
Rookie

oh well. If it doesn't seem overpowered to you guys then I guess it's alright.

I don't mind if the kicks are more difficult to land now. the only thing annoying is that the kick could still miss even though my foot obviously went through my opponent already and even if it DID hit, I still won't see any reaction coming from my opponent.

Might be abit off-topic if I mention it here but even in the Original Enhanced R code, I still couldn't see the backflip when I kick my opponent. It only pushes back the opponent and also deals damage to his shield/health.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #45
JRHockney*

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBaldy
Here's the latest files from Jon's changes but in a more compact and more easy to install form. Just copy and paste the GameData folder and everything should be installed. Make sure to have the ojpenhanced folder within GameData deleted when you do this though.

http://files.filefront.com//;6848412;;/
Thanks Jack. Yeah I think my winrar zip folders are somehow corrupted, so this will be the offical link to my new code. I'll place it at the top fot the thread. These should also run fine on other servers since they ran fine on Jacks server.

Quote:
does this mean that if I use Makashi and keep hitting my opponent without getting parried, both of our mishap meters will fill up instead of just mine?
No I changed it so that you actually earn back like 1 or 2 mishap points if you hit without getting parried. This was to make it so that its harder to tell exactly where your opponents mishap bar is since it was too easy before, so yeah it just does mishap damage on your opponent.

Quote:
I have a random thought. What about having it such that as long as I have any Merc points, the points requisites for certain exploitable Jedi skills will double? If Absorb normally requires 8 points, then putting any skills in Merc eg. Flamethrower will cause it to cost 16 points
We need new point bubble graphics for anything higher than 8. If you want to make them, we might consider more experimentation for these like this. I think they have to be the same overall size as the otherones though, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
However, to encourage purists to participate too, maybe we could have incentives for them, like having any additional skill points transferred to dodge points. Maybe every additional skill point adds 1% of existing dodge points. Thus, if my DP is 100 and I have 40SP, in total I will have 100 + (100*0.4) = 140DP. Actually, I think this system was used in place already, wasn't it?
Thats not too bad of an idea. And no, if you don't use your points on something, you don't get more DP atm.

Game screen name: Master Jon Hoc Ni

UDM Quote: in singapore, gangsters are...skinny jacka**es who think they can 0wn you. they hurl insults at u, and then lose in a fight. n00bs

Last edited by JRHockney*; 03-04-2007 at 05:00 PM.
JRHockney* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #46
mark2000
Rookie

Quote:
No I changed it so that you actually earn back like 1 or 2 mishap points if you hit without getting parried. This was to make it so that its harder to tell exactly where your opponents mishap bar is since it was too easy before, so yeah it just does mishap damage on your opponent.
So what you're saying is that if I keep hitting my opponent without getting parried, my Mishap Meter will decrease instead of increase? If that's what you're saying, then i'm not sure if it works. I tested using Makashi on some bots earlier and found a way so that they'll be forced to block my continuous attacks and they'll only parry probably only 1/8 of the attacks that I do. I probably dealt maybe 10 consecutive normal slashes to a bot without getting parried and during those 10 slashes, I noticed my mishap meter kept increasing.

EDIT:

Never mind. Looks like it works alright now. There was probably just something wrong in what I was doing last time.

Quote:
Step 1: Observe whether or not if your opponent is either in a slow bounce, heavy bounce, a stun, has his back to you, or you think he might be higher on his mishap bar. These are the only situations where kicking will knock your opponent down or make them stumble.
I tried landing a few kicks to a bot everytime he was in a slow bounce. It worked!.....although he still kept absorbing the kick with the backflip (I finally got to see the backflip woot!!). I don't get it. I thought that i the opponent is in a Slow Bounce, a kick is suppose make him fall down or stumble.

You also have to be VERY CLOSE to the opponent to make it work and when I mean "very close", I mean POINTBLANK range (so close that you can actually kiss your opponent mouth to mouth)! Not that it's bad or anything. It's probably a good way to keep the kick from being spammable. I'm just saying that it's pretty......wierd.

OFFTOPIC:

What were you talking about when you mentioned something about Soresu's "hacksaw" ability?

Last edited by mark2000; 03-04-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #47
JRHockney*

Quote:
I tried landing a few kicks to a bot everytime he was in a slow bounce. It worked!.....although he still kept absorbing the kick with the backflip (I finally got to see the backflip woot!!). I don't get it. I thought that i the opponent is in a Slow Bounce, a kick is suppose make him fall down or stumble.
The kick will not knock him over unless his mishap bar is high enough or (in my code) his DP bar is at critical if they are not hold alt attack. I think it has to be a little over 1/2. You'll know if he's there if you attack parry him and he does a heavybounce (the swing bounce in slowmotion) instead of the normal slowbounce. When that happens you can kick them over unless they are holding alt attack.

I'm not sure why kick is so hard to connect with, its really not suppose to be. I don't have too many problems with it, but I still have a hard tie connecting at times.

UDM Quote: in singapore, gangsters are...skinny jacka**es who think they can 0wn you. they hurl insults at u, and then lose in a fight. n00bs
Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 AM   #48
mark2000
Rookie

Maybe just increase how much distance the kick can hit the opponent?

BTW. Does anyone find it abit hard to parry using the Saber Staff?

I'm not sure about the dual sabers though since I haven't tested it yet.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 AM   #49
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

Quote:
Maybe just increase how much distance the kick can hit the opponent?

BTW. Does anyone find it abit hard to parry using the Saber Staff?

I'm not sure about the dual sabers though since I haven't tested it yet.
I altered some speeds for staves and duals in those new animation alterations I made and they're actually fun to use now, both of them. Although I'm thinking of doing something completely different soon so I'm not releasing anything yet.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #50
mark2000
Rookie

If it's not too much to ask, I suggest making the animations alot less fancy than the current ones.

Please and thank you
Old 03-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #51
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

I used the normal spins for all the styles except for Juyo/Makashi, so they look a lot less fancy but much more... "robust". You'll see

Old 03-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #52
madcatmach2
Rookie

aw but i love fancy its so much fun to watch

madcatmach2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #53
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmach2
aw but i love fancy its so much fun to watch
I've made a compromise, didn't remove everything fancy, just the stuff that looks bad when you get hit

Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 AM   #54
mark2000
Rookie

well, when I compared my use of the new and old animations of Makashi, I actually prefered the old one (the stance where you point your saber infront of you). It's more simple yet graceful and agile at the same time. Although the new animation of Makashi reminded me alot of Count Dooku, it's really more suited for swordplay rather than actual fighting IMO since half of the swing animations don't even intend to hit your opponent.

I never really got the hang of the new Juyo anims since it had so much animation pauses that I just couldn't observe its performance properly.

And about the recent saber staff animations. I still think they're too fancy. Darth Maul doesn't even do half of those twirling most of the time. When you observe Maul fight Qui Gon and Obiwan, you'll notice that the two jedis do more than half of the fancy swordplay and not Maul. You'll barely see him do anything fancy except for the occasional twirl or two a few times. From what i've observed from watching that duel alot, Maul was mostly blocking and parrying their attacks instead of doing Katas. I think the same could be said about the fight between Anakin and Dooku when Anakin had two sabers in hand but that scene happened too briefly to make a proper observation of Anakin's technique.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #55
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

I think you're at the wrong forums

Excuse me, but I think this mod is still called the "Open Jedi Project", and not "Movie Battles"

Old 03-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #56
mark2000
Rookie

nah. They're just suggestions on the animations. that's all. not that they're so terribly important or anything like that anyway.

But you guys said it yourselves that your saber system aims for movie realism so I was just sharing my ideas.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #57
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

Quote:
nah. They're just suggestions on the animations. that's all. not that they're so terribly important or anything like that anyway.

But you guys said it yourselves that your saber system aims for movie realism so I was just sharing my ideas.

The system does indeed.

It's okay, I'm just not willing to turn OJP into something it's not. If you want pure straight hXc movie realism there's always www.moviebattles.com .

Old 03-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #58
JRHockney*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxstate
The system does indeed.

It's okay, I'm just not willing to turn OJP into something it's not. If you want pure straight hXc movie realism there's always www.moviebattles.com .
Hey now, don't go chasing him to moviebattles. They have enough players already. Down with cooperate modS!!!! LOL. Just kidding MB

Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #59
mark2000
Rookie

lol. It's not like I'll only prefer one mod over the other. I look forward to all mods that interest me, even Knights Of The Force (been looking forward to a decent Movie Story-based Star Wars game experience for quite some time know. ).
Old 03-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #60
madcatmach2
Rookie

Quote:
lol. It's not like I'll only prefer one mod over the other. I look forward to all mods that interest me, even Knights Of The Force (been looking forward to a decent Movie Story-based Star Wars game experience for quite some time know. ).
not happening its a complete scam that and the demo gives you viruses i feel bad for all the poor fools who achully gave money to that guy

Old 03-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #61
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

There were viruses in the demo?!

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #62
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorace
There were viruses in the demo?!
Yeah I heard about people picking up massive trojans from it too.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #63
madcatmach2
Rookie

ya it was bad this thing even tried to access major windows files and change its base code

Old 03-08-2007, 03:33 AM   #64
mark2000
Rookie

oh. well that's too bad.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #65
Mantis01
Rookie

Server source ?

JRHockney,
Good work your customize for OJP
I want your mods source to build Linux dedicated server (jampgamei386.so).

And why do not merge your development to OJP SVN ?
Mantis01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #66
JRHockney*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis01
JRHockney,
Good work your customize for OJP
I want your mods source to build Linux dedicated server (jampgamei386.so).

And why do not merge your development to OJP SVN ?
I'm glad you like it I can send you the files I changed if you want. Just send me your email or something. It will be nice to see another server around here eventually too.

The reason I didnt commit my changes to the repository is that since Razor stilll technically leads the mod, the changes have to go through him and be reviewed by him code wise to make sure its good enough code (since I'm not a good coder by anymeans ). Even if I did get approval, I still couldn't commit it because I had to remove ensiform's crash.c crash protection/errorprint code and all its references just to get it to compile in the first place because an old tutorial on compiling jka code told me to get rid of my windows header files....its a long story, but I wasn't a good enough coder to find a way to keep it in. If you can find a way to get it back in in my code let me know if I send it to you. I think there is already alot of linux references in the code just ot let you know.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #67
Mantis01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHockney*
I'm glad you like it I can send you the files I changed if you want. Just send me your email or something. It will be nice to see another server around here eventually too.

The reason I didnt commit my changes to the repository is that since Razor stilll technically leads the mod, the changes have to go through him and be reviewed by him code wise to make sure its good enough code (since I'm not a good coder by anymeans ). Even if I did get approval, I still couldn't commit it because I had to remove ensiform's crash.c crash protection/errorprint code and all its references just to get it to compile in the first place because an old tutorial on compiling jka code told me to get rid of my windows header files....its a long story, but I wasn't a good enough coder to find a way to keep it in. If you can find a way to get it back in in my code let me know if I send it to you. I think there is already alot of linux references in the code just ot let you know.
Thanks Hockney
I sent private message to you.

I understood the reason.
Stability and balancing is important in this mod.
But you are one of the promising developers, I think.
I can't wait OJP developing restarted.
The thing I can do is just managing server, and reporting bug.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #68
ensiform
The Stig

Current Game: Borderlands 2
Be sure to use trac to report them bugs (maybe not until hock's code goes on svn though) or tag it like HOCKNEY CODE: etc...

iojamp project lead / coder
ensiform is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 10:49 PM   #69
Mantis01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensiform
Be sure to use trac to report them bugs (maybe not until hock's code goes on svn though) or tag it like HOCKNEY CODE: etc...
Good idea, I do it with tag.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:45 AM   #70
Mantis01
Rookie

Server Crash

Quote:
Thanks for your mail with source.
I compilied it successfully, but server is crashed very often without crash log.
The reason is that there is a problem in the handling of the memory perhaps.
Because similarly, I saw server crashing original environment in 0.0.9r-rev334(latest) with crash log.
I reported trac ticket to
https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/ojp/ticket/218

And your customize might have deleted the debug message, so output has no crash log.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #71
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

When is it crashing? From the looks of the error log, it looks like it's crashing during game shutdown.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #72
JRHockney*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis01
Thanks for your mail with source.
I compilied it successfully, but server is crashed very often without crash log.
The reason is that there is a problem in the handling of the memory perhaps.
Because similarly, I saw server crashing original environment in 0.0.9r-rev334(latest) with crash log.
I reported trac ticket to

And your customize might have deleted the debug message, so output has no crash log.
I didn't delete anything in those files I sent you. I commented out all the references to the crash.c file so look around for them. The only things I ignorantly deleted originally were the window header files and I didnt send you any of those. Just search "JRHockney" to find them if their in there. If you get it compiled with the crash.c code working, can you post a link for it? I and probably several other people would like to play on a more stable version of my own code

Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 PM   #73
Mantis01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorace
When is it crashing? From the looks of the error log, it looks like it's crashing during game shutdown.
It was crashing during game shutdown.
The server is set to rortate next map.
I noticed that this crash bug looks like trac ticket #198 (but not vote to restart).
https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/ojp/ticket/198

Old 03-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #74
mark2000
Rookie

ok...uh....I can't seem to use the flamethrower...I keep pressing the "use" button but no flame ever comes out. Help?

I'm not sure if it's just me or it's because of the code changes so I posted them here.

EDIT:

Never mind. It was my fault afterall. Kinda jumbled up my bindings without me noticing lol.

Last edited by mark2000; 03-18-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #75
Mantis01
Rookie

Razor, happy new revision !!
I can build and try rev 335.
But crashed.

Quote:
****Spawning Bot ^5Mad^5Lando^7*****
broadcast: print "^5Mad^5Lando^7 @@@PLENTER\n"
ClientBegin: 3
Item: 0 item_shield_sm_instant
Hitch warning: 749 msec frame time
Kill: 3 0 3: ^5Mad^5Lando killed ^4Lasting^3Virus by MOD_SABER
Kill: 0 1 3: ^4Lasting^3Virus killed ^1First^6Jack by MOD_SABER
Kill: 0 2 3: ^4Lasting^3Virus killed ^2Bad^6Falcon by MOD_SABER
Kill: 0 3 3: ^4Lasting^3Virus killed ^5Mad^5Lando by MOD_SABER
ERROR: SV_SvEntityForGentity: bad gEnt
ShutdownGame:
------------------------------------------------------------
DROPPED
Any idea?

Old 03-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #76
ensiform
The Stig

Well, I can think of many places where that comes from...

Code:
SV_AdjustAreaPortalState
SV_AddEntitiesVisibleFromPoint
SV_BuildClientSnapshot
SV_UnlinkEntity
SV_LinkEntity
Sounds like there is a bad entity being sent to the server engine...
Or somehow a player's clientnum is invalid in SV_BuildClientSnapshot...

Old 03-19-2007, 03:55 AM   #77
Mantis01
Rookie

Quote:
I didn't delete anything in those files I sent you. I commented out all the references to the crash.c file so look around for them. The only things I ignorantly deleted originally were the window header files and I didnt send you any of those. Just search "JRHockney" to find them if their in there. If you get it compiled with the crash.c code working, can you post a link for it? I and probably several other people would like to play on a more stable version of my own code
Okay, Hockney.
I changed your disabled debug code to enabled in your source.
Those comment out are in g_local.h, g_main.c. (It should not disable, I think )
And I could see crash log...
Quote:
-8<------- Crash Information ------->8-
Please forward to the OJP team.
---------------------------------------
Version: OJP Enhanced v0.0.9JRHockney's code Linux
Build Date: Mar 19 2007Build Time: 11:02:02Map: mp/ffa1
Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
Siginfo: 0xbfffdb30
Code: 1
Faulting Memory Ref/Instruction: 0x44e2f527
Maybe it is same error with original rev334 (My ticket #218).

Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #78
ensiform
The Stig

What about the backtrace, that is what we care about...

Also: Wrap the crash info here in code tags so it is not all going everywhere.

Do the same at the trac to so that it formats correctly, you will have to look at wikiformat for the correct tags though.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #79
mark2000
Rookie

I may have just missed this somewhere but may I ask what are the effects of the Dual and Staff saber styles? Their DP damage and their unique effects?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #80
JRHockney*

Quote:
I may have just missed this somewhere but may I ask what are the effects of the Dual and Staff saber styles? Their DP damage and their unique effects?
Staff has no extra back hit damage and duel has no extra FP cost for power swinging. Their DP damages are lower than most saber styles, but their harder to see in there swings as to where to parry them. Duel occasionally seems to double hit at certain angles as well if I remember right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis01
Okay, Hockney.
I changed your disabled debug code to enabled in your source.
Those comment out are in g_local.h, g_main.c. (It should not disable, I think )
Thanks for working on that, mantis. Let us know if you get a fully functional version with the crash.c code working in it.

Last edited by JRHockney*; 03-21-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Open Jedi Project (OJP) > JRHockney's OJP Enhanced code changes