lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Endurance, not Health
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #41
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Because they are....... If it can cut through 3 inches of battleship door, I am pretty sure that getting hit by one is going to do more than hurt. The only time that somone gets hit by one in the movies and lives, they lose a hand, etc... Obi wan survived because I don't think Count Dooku was trying to kill him, or he was trying to kill him slowly.
Lightsabers are the most powerful meele weapon IN THE GAME. Why make them even more better?

That's all you need to know. Want to make them instant kill? Activate Master Flurry with Master Speed and a trooper dies? Bah. I say, Bah! And you want the game to be "harder" and more like the movies where troopers pose a challenge to a Jedi? Well, why not have you struggle against a Sith trooper? You are a Jedi...but you are also mortal.

And no way you are going to have a person automatically die randomly becuase of an arrow. That may be realistic, but I'm not aiming for realism, I'm aiming for a good story. In fact, I actually prefer "Storyteller" games with just a GM giving you a character sheet and being the sole arbitary desicionmaker. No HPs, No stats, No nothing.

...And if you want to Nerf "Restart", just have the save file get deleted when you get killed, as they do in "Rouge"-style games.
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 AM   #42
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

That is where natural 20s comes in play. Remember the old rtules where you get three Nat 20s in a role you get an instant kill? Well, I don't mind people hyping up criticals a bit, like the "infinite critical" variant where you keep adding up damage if your keep rolling nat 20s in a row. It is POSSABLE, in such system, to kill really big things in one hit, if you are REWALLY lucky...

But, the system goes the other way also, do you want your hero to be capped dead by a random sith grunt with a lucky shot? For me its all good, there is a chance...

As for the "delete hat save game" approach in the "rogue series" we all know that we do backups for our savegames...
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #43
Mister Chief
Rookie

You guys don't realize what I am saying. Leave the damage how it is. Once you get the life all the way down, an animation with you hitting them and killing them should occur. up to that point, A hit should be represented by a samall hit (Obi-wan esque) or a barely blocked hit. The life would still go down as normal.....
Mister Chief is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #44
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

In all truth, I don't really care what it's called (whether "EP" or "HP") nor do I care about the intricate mechanics of whatever system it uses, I just don't want a guy to still be standing after I slice him multiple times with a lightsaber. Any kind of "blocking", "small hit", and "finishing" animations would be fine. The most important thing to me is that it looks a bit more real.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #45
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerWeasel
In all truth, I don't really care what it's called (whether "EP" or "HP") nor do I care about the intricate mechanics of whatever system it uses, I just don't want a guy to still be standing after I slice him multiple times with a lightsaber. Any kind of "blocking", "small hit", and "finishing" animations would be fine. The most important thing to me is that it looks a bit more real.

... And a little less like an hack'n-slash game, please.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Endurance, not Health