lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: A Million Penguins.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
A Million Penguins.

Last night I was listening to the BBC World Service which is a rather common activity for me, right in there with the insomnia. The Wiki phenomenon has now taken the next step, the Publisher Penguin has now attempted to create the first Wiki Powered Novel. Apparently this has soared in popularity having only been launched a few days ago.

EDIT: If you thought this had something to do with Global Warming thats really too bad.

Last edited by Samnmax221; 02-03-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
That just looks really confusing...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
That just looks really confusing...
QFE.

I love Wikipedia, but this seems like one of those ideas you get while drunk.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

I'm sure people will incrementally add comments to the site saying that it's no substitute for the feel of paper gliding through your hands as you turn the next eloquently guilded page in a finally crafted, much prized novel. Me? Oh i just like the penguin logo. It looks happy and happy penguins make me smile.

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I have serious doubts about how it will go, I'd much rather read something clear an concise and written by one person myself. The idea is interesting though.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
It's an interesting idea but I don't think I'd be interested in reading something like that. What will probably happen is lots of people contribute to it but then few actually read it.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
I have serious doubts about the consistency of that novel...unless some major editing is done in the end, and even then, I think the style difference will give the reader a headache

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Meh.

Two entire minutes was enough to give me a headache. The whole "million monkeys typing on a million typewriters" proverb was pretty conclusively disproved by the MySpace fad...

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, I noticed you had to login to edit anything. But, unless only the author is allowed to change his/her own story content, it looks to have the potential of a trainwreck. You try to develop a story, but then everyone and his brother (all critics) keep changing your story till it ends up like most movie scripts (morphed beyond recognition). Can't speak for others, but probably wouldn't waste my time on it.
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #10
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Well, it said to be an experiment. Let them find out what a train wreck this is...

But, actually, it can work.IF they limit the amount of people that actually work on it. About 5 or 6 people.

I have been in several wiki projects called "Lexicons". Each person write one entry in an "enclyopedia", starting with the letter A, each week. People have to link their entry to other entries in the encylopedia (and they cannot link back to you)...so basically, everyone work together to make a great story. It works perfectly, as a world building excerise, so wiki-based novels COULD work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2007, 03:47 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I read about this in the papers. Looks like an absolutely stupid idea to me, though I won't mind reading it once it's finished. For all we know, it mind end up like one of those "three word story" threads...

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > A Million Penguins.