lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Realism in KOTOR 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
legend222
Rookie

Realism in KOTOR 3

I think KOTOR 3 should be a bit more realistic. When I say realistic I don't mean getting hit once with a saber and dieing. I think the people in the city's should do more than just walk around, they should talk to each other express feelings and things like that. And what about night and day? Dantooine for example is always day, I don't know about you but it really starts to annoy me. Day and night should change like in Neverwinter Nights II. Also people should pay more attention to the fact that the character is a Jedi\Sith. I walk around the city with a robe and lightsabers in each hand and no one notices? These are just details but they're still important.
legend222 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Sir Palamides
Rookie

Yeah, that's right, but I don't want a cheep copy of Oblivion, I want more realism, but it should not be that much....Some advertencies by the people would be nice of course...

Visas: "A war? This war?"
Mandalore: "No, not this one. Another one, more terrible, against an evil we couldn't begin to comprehend. Revan went off to fight it..."
Sir Palamides is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend222
Also people should pay more attention to the fact that the character is a Jedi\Sith. I walk around the city with a robe and lightsabers in each hand and no one notices? These are just details but they're still important.
I agree with the day and night thing, and people interacting more. On Dantooine they do notice if you have your lightsaber in your hand though. Also Jedi dress in Robes to try and blend in, so I dont think they would be that easy to spot, unless walking around with lightsaber in your hand

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Realism is good to a certain extent. of course it is. What you're suggesting sounds sort of like the Assassin's Creed 'crowd' mechanic, and i love that idea. I'd also be surprised if they didn't implement weather and day/night transition. I like these ideas.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
PazaakPrincess

Current Game: Fable 2, Oblivion
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Fable has a greater sense of realism, ie the "people" react to you when you do things and interact with you more like run screaming if you are evil or exclaim how wonderful you are if you are good. Although I don't think that is quite necessary in Kotor but a little more interaction from the "people" around you would be a good idea.

I like the day night thing or at least an ingame time/date to make it more realistic time wise and how about you actually need to rest like in other games so having things like a bed in your room (ala Citadel Station) is actually worth while. You'll need to power nap for those big battles.

Call me Paz, PP sounds like you're p!$&ing on my head

My Kotor Fan Fiction
PazaakPrincess is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
legend222
Rookie

I forgot about weather and now that I think about it, it sounds like a good idea. A lightsaber duel on a stormy night (a bit cliche but we all love it) for example would be a lot cooler than on a hot day. And if the weather conditions affect your character ( rain wets your clothes, messes up your hair, evaporates from your lightsaber ) it would be even better.

Yes just like Assassin's creed crowds are interactive so should the K3 ones be. Not pushing them aside like Assassin's creed but the way they talk and interact with each other, it certainly seems what a crowd should do.

Fable does well but it's not entirely appropriate, after all the PC's mission should be secret, however a little recognition would be nice. Like if you destroy a planet as a Sith people would try to avoid talking to you and when the do the should be nervous. But if you save one as a Jedi the should be polite and a happy to talk to the PC.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Jediphile
Persona non grata

This would be nice, yes, but it doesn't have particularly high priority for me. Story and plot is definitely highest priority for me with characterization next. I'd also like a better RPG engine (because I hate d20... no, on second thought, I loathe it...) and that combat is implemented better while holding onto the turn-based system (which I do NOT want to go away!)

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Realism doesn't make sense in a game with floating lightsabers. The illusion of realism is alright, but it's WAY lower priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
This would be nice, yes, but it doesn't have particularly high priority for me. Story and plot is definitely highest priority for me with characterization next. combat is implemented better while holding onto the turn-based system.
I agree,

also, regarding realism, I'd like it if you could see some weapons you carry, lightsaber on belt, rifle over shoulder etc

adamqd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Realism doesn't make sense in a game with floating lightsabers. The illusion of realism is alright, but it's WAY lower priority.
True, but I don't get the impression that is what he meant. To me it sounded like he wanted the game to more along the lines of what it would be like if such things did exist. The night and day example is pretty telling - even in Star Wars, the sun(s) still rise(s) and set(s), the seasons shift with rain and snow and clouds, gravity makes you crash if your ship's engines fail, etc...

KotOR could have more of all that. It be nice, too, but - as I said before - to me it's not a major priority.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

It would be a nice bonus, but not a necessity. The story is more important by far. However, I would like to see day and night changes, more social interactions between civilians, and maybe some weather changes. One thing that's bothered me is, why am I always carrying my weapons? Why can't I attach them to my belt or something? Also, it would be nice to actually see the color and design of things like whatever gloves and belts you're wearing when you're viewing your character in the game like normal.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Seasons will not be needed probably, things does not happen that fast in game. Different weather and night/day would be nice though.

Too much realism can be bad also. I really don't want to feed my characters or bring him to washroom and shower... this is not the sims. Though star wars the sims would be fun.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerWeasel
One thing that's bothered me is, why am I always carrying my weapons? Why can't I attach them to my belt or something?
Yes, that IS annoying... Particularly when it results in clipping errors during cutscenes, when you suddenly have people poking their weapons through the torso of a friend or the back of a chair... I laugh, but I do get the feeling I'm not supposed to

Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #14
Lord Foley

To be perfectly honest with you, I like video games that have very little realism. I'd hate to have to sleep or have to deal with weather or time. I like games because they're games; they aren't real.

To some extent, this might be cool, but I agree with the low, low, low priority of it.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
Kas'!m

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend222
I think KOTOR 3 should be a bit more realistic. When I say realistic I don't mean getting hit once with a saber and dieing.

what? That is the most annoying part. There is no way Dark Jedi, let alone an average citizen, can three lightsaber strikes without losing arms or other body parts.
Kas'!m is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #16
Fish.Stapler

I'd love to see better civillian AI and more natural civillians, as well as more of them and better placed. Anything beyond that is cool but unnecessary IMO.

Fish.Stapler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2007, 03:26 AM   #17
Rogue Spy
Banned

It should, expecting to be on next-gen consoles aswell as PC, have better and more realistic weather changes, time, night, day, dusk, dawn and a more realistic fighting system, were you don't have to take as many turns in attacking and don't fall the same exact way when you die - drop on knees, struggle abit and then fall face down.
Rogue Spy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #18
legend222
Rookie

I agree that this isn't the most important thing in a game like KotOR, I just think that such details would make the game more fun. And no I don't want sleeping and eating. I want something like walking along the street and seeing people talking to each other like in Fable or Oblivion, reacting to my alignment, seeing day turn night, weather changes and things like that.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #19
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas'!m
what? That is the most annoying part. There is no way Dark Jedi, let alone an average citizen, can three lightsaber strikes without losing arms or other body parts.
If that were the case, then you have to go with the whole package and make it so that your own character can die in one swing of a lightsaber. I doubt you want that. The combat system should really stay where it is, but they need to make better combat animation to make it look a bit more realistic.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #20
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
But then there is no challenge for the player. Some realism must be sacrificed for gameplay purposes.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #21
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

GAMEPLAY > REALISM.

Under this golden rule some realism is nice, only if that does not negatively affact gameplay. Having one hit kills is fun and all until you realize that it would make the game somewhat tedious in places. i mean we are playing as Heros, which means normal things does not always apply to them.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #22
Kas'!m

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerWeasel
If that were the case, then you have to go with the whole package and make it so that your own character can die in one swing of a lightsaber. I doubt you want that.
That is where the lightsaber forms come in. In K2, I couldn't tell any difference between the forms like I could for Jedi Academy. If you're using the right form, you won't die after one lightsaber strikes. And my character usually always died with one hit whenever I fought Kavar.
Kas'!m is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #23
Mr.Clark
Rookie

Quote:
Hmm, true. What it needs is something like the (if memory serves) D20 system when you have few Hit Points but something like Stamina (it's not that, but it's something similar) that regenerates a lot faster, but you use them up first. I saw it described as effectively if an attack "hits" then the damage is done out of this other pool first. It's the equivalent of the character straining him/herself to just get out of the way. Once these are used up, attacks connect, damage is done to the main hit point pool and death or serious injury is imminent.

Does that make any sense? I know what I'm trying to say...
Mr.Clark is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #24
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Clark
Hmm, true. What it needs is something like the (if memory serves) D20 system when you have few Hit Points but something like Stamina (it's not that, but it's something similar) that regenerates a lot faster, but you use them up first. I saw it described as effectively if an attack "hits" then the damage is done out of this other pool first. It's the equivalent of the character straining him/herself to just get out of the way. Once these are used up, attacks connect, damage is done to the main hit point pool and death or serious injury is imminent.

Does that make any sense? I know what I'm trying to say...
That's very similar to something I suggested recently. In my opinion, that would definitely be better than hitting someone 10 times with a lightsaber but they don't die, they just lose "health". It's not absolutely necessary since combat isn't the main focus of the game, but it would be a nice bonus.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:00 AM   #25
Rogue Spy
Banned

You should die easier in K3, like afew have said, it is unrealistic for 10-20 lightsaber shots to not kill a player. Needs to be more challenging in the way of realism in gaming.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #26
legend222
Rookie

How about if when the character is supposed to take a blow he\she clumsily blocks it and loses stamina, finally when there is no more stamina the next attack is lethal.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #27
Windu Chi
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
GAMEPLAY > REALISM.

Under this golden rule some realism is nice, only if that does not negatively affact gameplay. Having one hit kills is fun and all until you realize that it would make the game somewhat tedious in places. i mean we are playing as Heros, which means normal things does not always apply to them.
GAMEPLAY + REALISM = MORE FUN

More realism in combat won't suffer the gameplay; it should be no health bars or a option to turn health bars off.
Things likes losing arms, decapitation or losing other body parts will make the game more fun and less tedious with that realism added; it should not take 10 to 20 strikes to dispatch a opponent, it get's boring after a while waiting to see the health bar deplete by continued hack and slash.

KOTOR III should have more REALISM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #28
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Things likes losing arms, decapitation or losing other body parts will make the game more fun and less tedious .
yeah, if you lose a limb you should have to buy a new cybernetic appendage, if you can't afford it you either threaten the medic, or hobble around till you can.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #29
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
More realism in combat won't suffer the gameplay; it should be no health bars or a option to turn health bars off.
Things likes losing arms, decapitation or losing other body parts will make the game more fun and less tedious with that realism added; it should not take 10 to 20 strikes to dispatch a opponent, it get's boring after a while waiting to see the health bar deplete by continued hack and slash.
TSL was far to easy as it was. You want to make it even easier?

As for dismemberment, are people going to be happy with a player with no legs? Good times!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #30
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime

As for dismemberment, are people going to be happy with a player with no legs? Good times!
Who cares - salvation is only a keypush away, brought to you by quickload (tm)...

I know, I know, but they did manage to do it that way in Jedi Academy, and I thought it worked well enough. Or, at least, it was not a problem to me in JA.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #31
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
As for dismemberment, are people going to be happy with a player with no legs?
I would, if only for the comedy.

Quote:
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #32
Windu Chi
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
TSL was too easy because the combat was computer controlled; all you did is select combat icons and hope and pray the AI could defeat your opponent AI.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #33
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
TSL was too easy because the combat was computer controlled; all you did is select combat icons and hope and pray the AI could defeat your opponent AI.
But your idea will turn the game into button-smashing. And if you smash buttons enough, combat becomes easy.

Let me explain...this is a game with Floating Lightsabers! How can you say that a Lightsaber can cut through flesh...when there is no such thing like Lightsabers? Belivability might be something interesting, but since we are the ones that made up the idea of "lightsabers", we can redefine our ideas of "lightsabers" to fit what the KOTOR series mean.

Quote:
Full Article Here
Old 02-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #34
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
But your idea will turn the game into button-smashing. And if you smash buttons enough, combat becomes easy.

Let me explain...this is a game with Floating Lightsabers! How can you say that a Lightsaber can cut through flesh...when there is no such thing like Lightsabers? Belivability might be something interesting, but since we are the ones that made up the idea of "lightsabers", we can redefine our ideas of "lightsabers" to fit what the KOTOR series mean.
Well stated SS. If you want to play a button mashing game then I highly suggest playing a Jedi Knight game. The KotOR series is about the story first and foremost.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #35
Windu Chi
Banned

Lightbulb

Oh, we are back to this again, huh?
Quote:
But your idea will turn the game into button-smashing.
So!
Also it will be more funner if that happen.
And as I said before in that other thread, I don't want no ACTION GAME I want a ACTION RPG for KOTOR 3.

Quote:
And if you smash buttons enough, combat becomes easy.
No, it won't!
You must have not played Ep III that button-smashing combat is funner and more challenging, but a negative, the blocking system in that game was computer controlled.
Also a lot of other great games with great combat that have button_smashing combat, like Prince of Persia series.
Quote:
You must have not seen my thread on the physics of a real lightsaber or plasma blade as I called it.

Lightsaber will become real one day, stop living in close-minded land.

Last edited by windu6; 02-28-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #36
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

KotOR III doesn't need to become an action game. That's not what KotOR is. It's about the story and the characters, not "cool" action sequences. If you want a big action-packed Star Wars game, then get TFU. I don't want to be forced to mash buttons trying to dodge a blaster bolt or swing my lightsaber at my opponent in a vulnerable area.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #37
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
GAMEPLAY + REALISM = MORE FUN
When applicable, but realism must always bow out to the story and gameplay when neccissary.

Quote:
Ok... lets take a look at this marvel of a game you would create here windu6 (using kotOR story as a base)

Game starts you choose an appearance and a class, but you don't get any attributes or skills because that is the stuff you don't like, they use messy dice.

You watch the opening crawl... wake up on the Endar Spire. Trask enters and has his opening dialog, all is well until you have to open the door, since you dislike the game doing things for you, you have an intricate circutry diagram come up and you have to actually re-route the security to open the door...

6 1/2 hours later (most gamers would have given up already) you get the door open. (Realism for the win... right?)

You go down the hall and start the cutscene with the Sith Troopers having a fight with the Republic Troops. Since you have none of those dreaded health bars the combat drones on... and on... and on.

Without health bars and the other neccisary things that the comuter uses for the game you can't die, neither can the NPC's. After 20 minutes of cutscene battle the rest of the players would simply quit the game call it what it is lame and move on.

Yeah windu6 a real fun game you would have there.

Quote:
KOTOR III should have more REALISM.
Realism is fine but gameplay and story are more important.

Quote:
That is how RPG's work, please don't attempt to ruin a good thing with your ADD Button-Mashing ways. The AI didn't do the work you did by plotting your attacks, your success rate is indicated by a die roll. This is what RPG's are about. Even your so-called Action RPG's use some form of die rolls to operate.

Quote:
Oh, we are back to this again, huh?
Yup, you certainly seem to be.

Quote:
Also it will be more funner if that happen.
"funner" is that even a word? Besides that is subjective, your ideas are certainly not "funner" to me.

Quote:
No, it won't!
You must have not played Ep III that button-smashing combat is funner and more challenging, but a negative, the blocking system in that game was computer controlled.
Also a lot of other great games with great combat that have button_smashing combat, like Prince of Persia series.
Again this is subjective... does it even occur to you that everyone doesn't like button-mashing, some RPG players are physically incapable of playing them. What about them... why must you insist in taking away their favored game style for your vaunted button-mashing?

Quote:
stop living in close-minded land.
For someone in your obvious hard-line position about RPG's and the way they should work for you to find them fun, you ought to not call others close-minded.

"Hello pot! This is kettle, you're black!" -Prime

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #38
Master Kavar

As usual, Redhawke to the rescue with some common sense.

I'm with most people here when I say I'm in favor of some kind of "endurance" bar instead of hit points, so that players aren't being shot/stabbed/sabered repeatedly without consequence. Save the death-blow animations for the final strike in the round, and it would go a long way in terms of realism and immersion.

At no time do I wish to be mashing buttons and performing complex button pushing combinations just to pull off a fancy lightsaber move. Save that for Force Unleashed or some other action oriented game. I still love old-school RPG's and I don't plan on switching over any time soon.

Of course I'm also in favor of even more realism mechanics that most people would cringe at, including encumberance rules, and limited inventory slots. They are certainly not deal-breakers for me, but I think it would be better.
Master Kavar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2007, 03:55 AM   #39
Rogue Spy
Banned

Hey lol...do we even know if KOTOR III will come out at all in the end ? I mean iv read alot that there are rumours from BioWare that it might be made by them, but still we don't know..they could just give up at any time and forget about it all
Old 03-01-2007, 04:18 AM   #40
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Spy
Hey lol...do we even know if KOTOR III will come out at all in the end ? I mean iv read alot that there are rumours from BioWare that it might be made by them, but still we don't know..they could just give up at any time and forget about it all
Sad but true! I kind of hoped K3 would of been the secret next gen release, but that turned out to be "how much can you pervert the force: untrained Dark person".

> realism, as long as they actually make it i'll be happy. Don't change a thing! besides, the reason most of us spend so much time in this forum is because we love the first 2 so much, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Realism in KOTOR 3