lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Captain America's fate [spoilers]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
MdKnightR

R.I.P. Captain America (until they resurrect you in a future issue)

Wow! This story has taken comic fans by storm! It even made front page news. While it saddens me that they offed Captain America (by a sniper.....how lame!), rest assured that they will bring him back in the future. If DC Comics can resurrect Jason Todd (aka 2nd Robin), Marvel will likely find a way to do it for Cap. Rest in Peace (until next time true believers....)

Last edited by stoffe; 03-14-2007 at 07:37 PM.
MdKnightR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdKnightR
Wow! This story has taken comic fans by storm! It even made front page news. While it saddens me that they offed Captain America (by a sniper.....how lame!), rest assured that they will bring him back in the future. If DC Comics can resurrect Jason Todd (aka 2nd Robin), Marvel will likely find a way to do it for Cap. Rest in Peace (until next time true believers....)
I am not impressed. I got caught up in the "Death of Superman" mess. I managed to buy all the "Funeral for a Friend" issues, "Rise of Superman", etc... I use to buy into this stuff. Do not get me wrong, I really enjoyed collecting comicbooks. I have about 400 of them in a Rubbermaide bin. Like all things in life, there is allways an ending to something. Unlike Superman's reputation, Captian America will not be missed. Plus, it is a comicbook. They will allways bring him back in some form or another. Collecting the 'Death of Superman' taught me a few lessons about comicbooks. 1. They recycle storylines. 2. The characters never truely die. 3. The hero allways wins at the end.

Captain America dies the way his comicbook lived. Dull and boring. Yawn!
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
That's why GL invented prequels, we'll see Young Cap America comics soon I bet!

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Comic book rule no. 1: The only thing that can kill a superhero is bad sales

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I never really liked Captain America.

I don't really care if he does get resurrected.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Humor mode way on:

First Barbaro, now Captain America. What is the world coming to?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
I am too lazy to look this up. Hehehe... Was Captain America apart of Marvel's answer for World War II? There was a documentery on comicbooks on the History Channel, several years-ago, and there were three major characters that were used for war propaganda. Captain America, Superman, and Batman. Lol... If I remember the documantary correclty, people walked away from comicbooks becuase of their exploitation of U.S.A. Lol... People originally liked comics, for the characters lived outside of the law. Batman was the only one to overcome the U.S.A. years. Lol... Superman movies with Chrisopher Reives(sp?) were filled with American iconography. If you watch the new Superman: Returns movie, you will notice that Perry White left out, "The American Way" in a speech he gave. The original lines were,"Superman stands for truth, justice, and the American Way." I had a big laugh that he just so happened to save an American Airforce Plane, for the creators tried very hard to seperate America from Superman. Lol...

Captain America was permanantly branded, for he was created to boost moral. Comicbooks were created where he fought the Nazis and Hitler. If you want something that is a real collector, I would try to hunt those comicbooks down. Anything else takes decades to apprechiate in value.
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Bah. Capitan America deserves his fate.

All the Law wanted for him to do is to basically fill out a tiny little application that says that you are a superhero. Everyone knows that superheroes exist. Everyone knows that Captain America is a superhero. I mean, he's Captian America. But then he says, "Nooo. I want my power to be kept uber-secret, so I should form a terrorist organization to blow up the whole America so that I won't have to register my power so that nobody finds out I am a Superhero! Rarrr!"

And it turns out he may not even be a superhero at all. With him getting shot and all.

Yes, this is a satire, but it showed how I view the story arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Bah. Capitan America deserves his fate.

All the Law wanted for him to do is to basically fill out a tiny little application that says that you are a superhero. Everyone knows that superheroes exist. Everyone knows that Captain America is a superhero. I mean, he's Captian America. But then he says, "Nooo. I want my power to be kept uber-secret, so I should form a terrorist organization to blow up the whole America so that I won't have to register my power so that nobody finds out I am a Superhero! Rarrr!"

And it turns out he may not even be a superhero at all. With him getting shot and all.

Yes, this is a satire, but it showed how I view the story arc.
The story arc has indeed turned out to be poo...
I has such high expectations for this though, but they ruined it, oh well, guess I should have seen that one coming...

Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
The story arc has indeed turned out to be poo..
I has such high expectations for this though, but they ruined it, oh well, guess I should have seen that one coming...
Maybe what should have been done is simply to have only one or two superheroes refuse to register anyway, and move out into Europe to avoid prosecution. Meanwhile, the superheores that remain and get registered soon gets under too much federal oversight and get blamed for everything (like how cops sometimes get accused for doing stuff).

And when the Superheroes find out that the registeration program may in fact be head by a supervillian, then start up your little insurgency.

Quote:
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
Old 03-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Maybe what should have been done is simply to have only one or two superheroes refuse to register anyway, and move out into Europe to avoid prosecution. Meanwhile, the superheores that remain and get registered soon gets under too much federal oversight and get blamed for everything (like how cops sometimes get accused for doing stuff).

And when the Superheroes find out that the registeration program may in fact be head by a supervillian, then start up your little insurgency.
Shame you don't get paid as much as Marvel writers, because your ideas are certainly much better lol

Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 AM   #12
MdKnightR

I haven't been following the Civil War storyline too closely. Heck, I haven't collected comics in years! However, from what I have read, I perfectly understand why Captain America took the very Libertarian stance against Big Government invading the private lives of others (in this case superheroes). Sure Captain America's identity is public, but he was standing up for everyone.

I'm sure they will resurrect him sometime close to the movie that I've heard is due out next year. Hopefully it will be worlds better than the one they made about 15-20 years ago. What a fiasco that was!

I know this is all a ploy to sell comics, but when you think about it, isn't now a good time to collect? The market hit a big slump when people realized that all those 90s comics were printed in such large runs that they will never be considered rare enough to be worth anything substantial. Now that print runs have become smaller, this Captain America comic will likely be worth something in the future. Not that this is necessarily indicative of it, but a set of both available covers of that issue went for a high bid of $200 yesterday on eBay. It sold out everywhere. My local comic shop said that they didn't even get enough in to fill the orders of their regular customers. Marvel kept it top secret until the day it was released.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:47 AM   #13
logan essex
Rookie

During the Vietnam 'police action', cap hung up his red,white, and blues, for a different uniform and called himself the Captain. I think, with the destruction of the U.S. Constitution, Capt. America's death is in step with the times we live in.
Liberty cries.

[TSL] Harbinger New Decor~[TSL] Ebon Hawk Reskin ~[TSL] Ravager New Decor ~[TSL] Onderon New Decor ~[TSL] Logan Essex's Ebon Hawk Interior
logan essex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #14
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

So long Captain America. Long Live Captain Britain!

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #15
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdKnightR
I haven't been following the Civil War storyline too closely. Heck, I haven't collected comics in years! However, from what I have read, I perfectly understand why Captain America took the very Libertarian stance against Big Government invading the private lives of others (in this case superheroes). Sure Captain America's identity is public, but he was standing up for everyone.

I'm sure they will resurrect him sometime close to the movie that I've heard is due out next year. Hopefully it will be worlds better than the one they made about 15-20 years ago. What a fiasco that was!

I know this is all a ploy to sell comics, but when you think about it, isn't now a good time to collect? The market hit a big slump when people realized that all those 90s comics were printed in such large runs that they will never be considered rare enough to be worth anything substantial. Now that print runs have become smaller, this Captain America comic will likely be worth something in the future. Not that this is necessarily indicative of it, but a set of both available covers of that issue went for a high bid of $200 yesterday on eBay. It sold out everywhere. My local comic shop said that they didn't even get enough in to fill the orders of their regular customers. Marvel kept it top secret until the day it was released.
Yeah they might be worth a lot, except the read...

Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #16
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieZ
So long Captain America. Long Live Captain Britain!
I believe it would be Colonel Britain.

As for Captain America, eh.
He died the instant he sold himself out.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #17
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Why do they have to kill the cool characters? WHY!?!?!?!

R.I.P. Captain America

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #18
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sitherino
I believe it would be Colonel Britain.

As for Captain America, eh.
He died the instant he sold himself out.
Zing!

Still, im sure Captain Britain will find some way to rise his fellow from the ashes. :P Or they may try and set a precedent and Captain America is truly dead.

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #19
logan essex
Rookie

stephen colbert's word on Cap on comedycentral's website in the WORD

[TSL] Harbinger New Decor~[TSL] Ebon Hawk Reskin ~[TSL] Ravager New Decor ~[TSL] Onderon New Decor ~[TSL] Logan Essex's Ebon Hawk Interior
logan essex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 07:15 AM   #20
montnoir

Nice complete spoiler in the thread title. Thanks for that one, really nice of you.

in vino veritas
montnoir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
DarthSion101

Hot Topic Starter Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
All I can say is its been a long time coming. Captain America was by far one of the lamest Marvel heroes out there, and he deserved his fate many times over, it just saddens me that a lowly sniper was the one to down the useless captain. Even though I may have great disdain for the captain, he has been a marvel icon, and should have at least met his end by the hands of an iconic villain, say Dr. Doom, or even Red Skull. Ah forget Red Skull, all hail Doom!

"Have you come here for answers? There are none. The call of Korriban is strong, but it is the call of the dead. It is fitting you came here."

"The failure is yours, no longer does your voice whisper within my skull, no longer do I suffer beneath teachings that weaken us, and now you run in search of the Jedi. They are all dead....save one, and one broken Jedi cannot stop the darkness that is to come."
DarthSion101 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Captain America was by far one of the lamest Marvel heroes out there, and he deserved his fate many times over, it just saddens me that a lowly sniper was the one to down the useless captain.
Said lowly sniper is also Captain America's girlfriend. She plead not guilty due to reason of insanity and being hypontiezed by an evil supervillian.

Really ridicuolus.

Quote:
Full Article Here
Old 03-11-2007, 07:21 AM   #23
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Sounds like Marvel allright!

Old 03-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #24
montnoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSion101
Captain America was by far one of the lamest Marvel heroes out there...
Captain America is about as iconic as Superman... and as "lame".

in vino veritas
Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #25
Phantom Knight
BAANAAANAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Current Game: Mass Effect
Hot Topic Starter 
Yeah, I agree! I never really was a Captain America fan myself. But my personal favorite marvel character would probably either havee to be: Wolverine, Blade or The Punisher.
Phantom Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #26
DarthSion101

Hot Topic Starter Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Marvel needs to get away from the charcaters like Captain America, that were popular during WWII, because of the on going war, and focus on a more modern bunch, say Moon Knight, Deadpool, Wolverine, etc etc. Some super hero's like Spiderman, and the fantastic four have been better able to adapt to the changing times, and more modern aspect of the comic universe, others like Captain America, and Superman(although not a marvel being) seem to be trapped in the 40's and 50's. At least by dropping the useless Captain MArvel can put some more time into developing other characters.

"Have you come here for answers? There are none. The call of Korriban is strong, but it is the call of the dead. It is fitting you came here."

"The failure is yours, no longer does your voice whisper within my skull, no longer do I suffer beneath teachings that weaken us, and now you run in search of the Jedi. They are all dead....save one, and one broken Jedi cannot stop the darkness that is to come."
DarthSion101 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #27
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montnoir
Nice complete spoiler in the thread title. Thanks for that one, really nice of you.
Pleeease...

You can't browse a news or comic site, or watch TV without seeing this posted big and bright. I knew of this months ago browsing the other sites I visit... (yah, I like superheroes.. sue me )

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #28
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #29
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P

Current Game: LotRO, EQ2 & RoM
Hot Topic Starter 
lol Captain Canada. xD

So... umm... does anyone see some sort of political commentary on killing off Capt. America? Or is it just me...
Aash Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #30
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
So... umm... does anyone see some sort of political commentary on killing off Capt. America? Or is it just me...
Yes. For gun contorl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel
"This death shows that GUN CONTORL LAWS ARE NEEDED in this dangerous era!

Capitan America was shot last night by his girlfriend with a sniper. Now, the girlfriend did not want to kill Capitan America, but she was insane and used the sniper anyway.

What would happen if the girlfriend did not have a sniper? Then she would be unable to kill Capitan America, duh! She would be committed to the mental insitution, and Capitan America would be saved.

This proves that people don't kill people, guns kill people! Including superheroes! If we don't ban guns, then a man might accidently KILL off everyone. This is an symbolic act...for if we do not contorl guns, then we destroy America accidently, just like Cpt. America's mistress accidently killed off Cpt. America!

We now return you to your normally broadcasted comics.

Quote:
Full Article Here
Old 03-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #31
MdKnightR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aash Li
lol Captain Canada. xD

Oh definitely! Regardless of how lame people here think that Cap was, he did stand for liberty and freedom. His death is just a commentary on how the rights of the common man have been diminished in our day. But it is our own doing. As long as we sit there and not vote our conscience and have our say about our country, the government will continue to get more and more corrupt until the day it destroys itself. Our rights are being whittled away right under our ignorant noses. I'm afraid to say that the USA may start to resemble England in the movie "V" for Vendetta if we don't start taking it back to a government of the People, by the People, and for the People.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #32
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel
"This death shows that GUN CONTORL LAWS ARE NEEDED in this dangerous era!

Capitan America was shot last night by his girlfriend with a sniper. Now, the girlfriend did not want to kill Capitan America, but she was insane and used the sniper anyway.

What would happen if the girlfriend did not have a sniper? Then she would be unable to kill Capitan America, duh! She would be committed to the mental insitution, and Capitan America would be saved.

This proves that people don't kill people, guns kill people! Including superheroes! If we don't ban guns, then a man might accidently KILL off everyone. This is an symbolic act...for if we do not contorl guns, then we destroy America accidently, just like Cpt. America's mistress accidently killed off Cpt. America!

We now return you to your normally broadcasted comics.
lmao! Please tell me this wasnt serious? If so these writers need to pull their head out of their fantasy worlds.

Gun control isnt going to stop crime... if his girlfriend didnt have a gun, she would have used a gun she bought from the black market, or used a knife, a fork, a spoon, a sharpened stick, poison, a vehicle, or simply pushed the bugger off a tall building.

Remember, controlling guns only takes guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. What do you think a criminal bent on shooting people is going to do if he cant get one from a store? Hell buy them from some one/place else instead. Criminals arent going to stop using guns just because a govt. banned them, theyre criminals!

*shakes her head*

Marvel Comics: Smoking pot since the 60s.

*cough* sorry for the rant... well not really, but you know what I mean I think.. :3
Old 03-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #33
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
lmao! Please tell me this wasnt serious?
Wasn't serious at all.

EDIT: As for the girlfriend, you see, if the girlfriend had no gun, she had to go and attack Cpt. America in a fist-fight or in meele combat. Cpt. America would be able to beat up her girlfriend, or at least subdue her in meele combat...but guns are lethal. Nothing can stop them.[/scarsam]

Quote:
Full Article Here
Old 03-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #34
montnoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
Pleeease...

You can't browse a news or comic site, or watch TV without seeing this posted big and bright. I knew of this months ago browsing the other sites I visit... (yah, I like superheroes.. sue me )
This was the first and only place I ever read or heard about it, without even looking for comics... and no I'm not american, nor do I live in an english speaking country.

in vino veritas
Old 03-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #35
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
You know this thread title completely spoiled me. I just finished reading Amazing Spider-Man 538.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #36
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

True, it's not that hard to use a spoiler tag after all.
For the record, I heard it here first too, not that I mind, but I know some people might...

Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 AM   #37
MdKnightR

Sorry that it spoiled it for you guys. It was front page news, so I didn't think there was any way I could have spoiled it.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:19 AM   #38
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P

Hot Topic Starter 
Its only a spoiler if you give a crap about american comic books. lol Me, I got tired of the constant superhero theme... *shrugs*

That said, I still watch some of the movies. hehe
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Captain America's fate [spoilers]