lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Man, I hate to do this...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Hannibal

Current Game: Black Ops/Biosock
LFN Staff Member 
Man, I hate to do this...

Anyone read the latest OXM?

They had a special rumor section where the surmised that KOTOR3 would be made by Bioware and that they'll have a team available to start work on it.

To me it sounds like more forum speculation but they have their ear closer to the ground in the industry.

If anyone else read it maybe that can explain it better. I read it quick on the way out. It's #2 in a top ten list.

PS Duke Nukem forever is in there to so that can actually increase the fact that this is just speculation and rumor. That game will never come out!

Hannibal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Has to be rumor, and if so, not a very GOOD rumor. Why? Because I prefer Obisdian to make the game rather than Bioware. Besides, didn't Bioware state it won't use anyone's elses intelltecutal property (and it may get bought out by Pandmeic, who hates LA for attempting to steal the Mercs intellectual property).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Besides, didn't Bioware state it won't use anyone's elses intelltecutal(sic) property
I doubt Bioware have stated that they never ever again will produce games using intellectual properties owned by others. To my knowledge they only said they wanted to make some games of their own a few years ago, which does not exclude that they'd work on games based on other IPs later after having done so (Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age).
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Jediphile
Persona non grata

While I doubt Bioware has said they would never work on KotOR again, I do seem to recall a statement that they wanted to work on their own IPs in the future, which would rule KotOR out. Not sure, though.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

It's probably just more rumors. I hope so too, since I much prefer Obsidian over BioWare.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
NateDogg
Rookie

I think it's a rumor, I'd like to see Obsidian finish the game they started and see where they take KotOR anyways.

I don't think Bioware is going to make the game anyways because they've been shipping off games like NWN and Kotor to Obsidian and I don't think they've made a sequel in a while right? They are only focused on original IP's for now, but I'm more stoked for Mass Effect anyways. Although I would love KotOR III
NateDogg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Rumour. I also prefer Obsidian to BioWare, but I like both companies. It would make more sense for Obsidian to finish off the KOTOR series and BioWare won't return to write the third game, since I thought that they didn't want to be involved with any future KOTOR products.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I hope its true! but I doubt it, I would like bioware to do it more than obsidian though

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2007, 02:16 AM   #9
Mister Chief
Rookie

I say that the game bieng made at all is a good rumor, don't really care who makes it.
Mister Chief is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
azzakabaz
Rookie

i dont mind who makes it but i realy hope its obsidian or bethesda (makers of oblivion) prob wont be bethesda but they do know how to make a great game but so do obsidian lol tuff one
azzakabaz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Vaelastraz
Veteran

It never made sense to me why Bioware stopped working on Kotor. After all, Kotor was a huge success. The game got top ratings, and as far as I know, it was a commercial success too.

And, with Kotor Bioware reinforced their image as the world's best RPG developer...which they are. No other company has a compareable history of good RPGs imo.

Obsidian didn't do anything impressive with Kotor II, apart from the story, which I admit could have been better than the Kotor I story.

Bethesda are good at what they do. But they don't do story driven RPGs.
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
It never made sense to me why Bioware stopped working on Kotor. After all, Kotor was a huge success. The game got top ratings, and as far as I know, it was a commercial success too.
Yes, but it's Lucasarts' intellectual property, which means that whatever they say goes, whether Bioware likes it or not. Would you prefer to work under those conditions given the choice? I know I wouldn't... I like Star Wars, but I like artistic license more, especially when it comes to being creative about a plot. And then there are those nasty rumors about Lucasarts pushing harsh deadlines on developers, which TSL certainly didn't do much to exorcise...

Quote:
And, with Kotor Bioware reinforced their image as the world's best RPG developer...which they are. No other company has a compareable history of good RPGs imo.
That sounds a little over the top to me. But YMMV.

World's best RPG developer? I doubt that...

Quote:
Obsidian didn't do anything impressive with Kotor II, apart from the story, which I admit could have been better than the Kotor I story.
I disagree. The plot of TSL was much, much better. It's such a crying shame they didn't get to finish it

Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
The Sith'ari

Well, the plots of K1 and K2 are of distinct styles. Neither is objectively better than the other I'd say. It all depends on individual preference.
The Sith'ari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
Grey Master
Firecracker

Looks like rumors, but does anybody know anything about a Fable 2?
Grey Master is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
legend222
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Master
It's being developed for the Xbox 360 and maybe the PC but that has nothing to do with KOTOR.

I don't care if Bioware or Obsidian makes it as long as it's made. Although I prefer if it's one of these two since they already have experience with making them.
legend222 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #16
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sith'ari
Well, the plots of K1 and K2 are of distinct styles. Neither is objectively better than the other I'd say. It all depends on individual preference.
I would accept that as an axiom.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #17
FiEND_138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Master
Yeah man, check this out.

Topic; I was under the impression Bio was going to busy for a few more years with MassEffect, it being a trilogy & all. & like others, I'd prefer OE finished/continued the Knights series.

FiEND_138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #18
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
I think I'd rather see OE do kotor3 simply to see them finish their story. Bioware wrapped up their story nice and neat. If there was no sequel we would still have a complete story. I think I remember reading that Chris Avalone had a story line laid out that continues from K2. I could be wrong about that but if true it makes sense to me to let OE finish the story(assuming it's a trilogy). Nothing against Bioware, I personally give k1's story the edge over TSL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sith'ari
QFE.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #19
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
A lot of the folks in OE who did TSL had also worked for Bioware and had done K1. I'd like to see some continuity in the _people_ who had worked on one and preferably both, so that the style doesn't change too dramatically.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
Hannibal

Current Game: Black Ops/Biosock
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiEND_138
Topic; I was under the impression Bio was going to busy for a few more years with MassEffect, it being a trilogy & all. & like others, I'd prefer OE finished/continued the Knights series.
So no one else has seen this magazine? Am I the only one with a subscription?

It said that Obsidian doesn't have a free team at the moment and that Bioware should have one sooner the Obsidian will. I think with the Bioware Pandemic combo Bioware would have higher bandwith.

But I'm in now hurry for the game. Mass Effect will be occupying my time soon enough. If it's going to be made I think it would be great to see KOTOR3 in the Mass Effect engine. I don't care who does the story as long as the engine is upgraded.

Hannibal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #21
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal
If it's going to be made I think it would be great to see KOTOR3 in the Mass Effect engine. I don't care who does the story as long as the engine is upgraded.
I think it would be great too... but my bets are that K3 will be more like NWN2 than Force Unleashed for the reasons Dak Vesser gave in this thread.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #22
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
I think it would be great too... but my bets are that K3 will be more like NWN2 than Force Unleashed for the reasons Dak Vesser gave in this thread.
I agree. I think the engine NWN2 uses would suit a K3 much better than something like Force Unleashed. I want the game to keep its rpg aspect of it.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #23
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
So no one else has seen this magazine? Am I the only one with a subscription?
Looks that way. The only game magazine I subscribe to is Games for Windows.
Quote:
It said that Obsidian doesn't have a free team at the moment and that Bioware should have one sooner the Obsidian will. I think with the Bioware Pandemic combo Bioware would have higher bandwith.
Based off Obsidian's CEO's previous statements about Obsidian staying fairly small and only working on two games at a time with a third in pre-production that sounds about right to me. Obsidian has the Aliens RPG and another unannounced RPG in the works, both being published by Sega so we know they're not working on KotoR 3. If they have a third in pre-production then it's at least 3 years out.
BioWare on the other hand has an unannounced next-gen game in development that I don't know anything about. I guess it's possible that it could be KotoR 3 but I'm thinking the chances it is aren't good. We'll just have to wait and see if BioWare has any big announcements this summer but it seems like BioWare is ramping up its game production capability with the addition of the MMO studio in Austin, Texas and a handheld game studio as well. Also of note is that Casey Hudson and many other BioWare peeps that worked on KotOR are working on Mass Effect and will likely be tied up with the last two installments of that series for the next 4-5 years.

My guess? LucasArts hasn't even started on KotOR 3.

Quote:
If it's going to be made I think it would be great to see KOTOR3 in the Mass Effect engine. I don't care who does the story as long as the engine is upgraded.
I don't see how KotOR 3 would NOT use a new engine. At this point if KotOR 3 gets made then they're definitely not going to make it for Xbox.
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #24
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdisco
I think I'd rather see OE do kotor3 simply to see them finish their story. Bioware wrapped up their story nice and neat. If there was no sequel we would still have a complete story. I think I remember reading that Chris Avalone had a story line laid out that continues from K2. I could be wrong about that but if true it makes sense to me to let OE finish the story(assuming it's a trilogy).
Agreed. I think Kotor would suffer, being changed frok developer's hands everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdisco
Nothing against Bioware, I personally give k1's story the edge over TSL.
Oh yeah.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2007, 07:33 AM   #25
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
I'm hoping for Bioware.

It's not that TSL was necessarily a worse story, worse put together etc etc, but it wasn't as *fun*.

If its true, its true. If its not, its not.
Either way, my attitude is 'deal with it'.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #26
Canderous_ordo1
Rookie

well its probably a rumor but then again most rumors can be wrong as I'm probably hoping its wrong but then again ten or 3 years from now im sure we will all know

IM HERE IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT

A TRUE WARRIOR IS ONE THAT CAN BEAT IT DOWN EVERY TIME IT RAISES ITS HEAD
Canderous_ordo1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #27
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
I disagree. The plot of TSL was much, much better. It's such a crying shame they didn't get to finish it
I agree K1 was more a plain vanilla Good Vs. Evil with a plot twist. TSL was more about what it means to be a Jedi.

So far as Bioware is concerned. It took them 10 years, 6 games and 5 expansion packs before they had enough clout to make their own IP game. OE has only done 2 games with 2 more in development. OE has the same core group that made Planescape: Torment and the Fallout series. Both of which are highly rated RPGs.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #28
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arátoeldar
So far as Bioware is concerned. It took them 10 years, 6 games and 5 expansion packs before they had enough clout to make their own IP game. OE has only done 2 games with 2 more in development. OE has the same core group that made Planescape: Torment and the Fallout series. Both of which are highly rated RPGs.
There's something to be said though about experience in the business.. of the 2 games OE has spear-headed.. both have MANY flaws. Maybe if OE actually took some time to see a project complete.. my opinion will differ. NWN2 clearly suffers towards the end.. as does TSL.

I am not impressed with OE's track record so far... so much as to have to take a double look to see if I really want to purchase anything produced by them in the future..

Fool me once, shame on you.. fool me twice.. and I'll start reading labels

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #29
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
There's something to be said though about experience in the business.. of the 2 games OE has spear-headed.. both have MANY flaws. Maybe if OE actually took some time to see a project complete.. my opinion will differ. NWN2 clearly suffers towards the end.. as does TSL.

I am not impressed with OE's track record so far... so much as to have to take a double look to see if I really want to purchase anything produced by them in the future..

Fool me once, shame on you.. fool me twice.. and I'll start reading labels
While I agree that OE needs to take part of the blame. Both games were rushed by the producing companies (LA, Atari) for profit reasons. In the Atari case, it was to stay afloat financially.

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #30
Phantasmgrl91
Rookie

i really dont care who makes it just as long as it gets made i'm happy, soooo TIRED of waiting
Phantasmgrl91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #31
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
While I agree that OE needs to take part of the blame. Both games were rushed by the producing companies (LA, Atari) for profit reasons. In the Atari case, it was to stay afloat financially.
Whatever the reason, I think OE has gotten off to a rocky start as a development company. It's good they have a couple of Sega titles to work on. Hopefully they'll be able to provide a better showing with those.
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2007, 02:41 AM   #32
Robb Stark
Rookie

Over on the Bioware forums their mods have stated, directly in response to the OXM article, that Bioware is not currently in the process of developing KotOR nor do they have any plans of engaging in development of such a game in the future. Obviously they could be in denial for legal/contractural reasons, but IMO it seem genuine.

As for developing their own intellectual properties I've seen them state that that's what they are interested in "right now" but to my recollection they've never stated that they would never do work based on someone else's property again.

Anyway, since Obsidian is not working on the game, and it's very likely Bioware is not as well, it seems safe to say that the game is not being worked on. My hope is that some employees involved in the previous games have done some of the story development, writing, conceptual design, etc. out of personal interests so that when somebody picks up development that the initial phases of the project can be expedited. Of course, that's just wishful thinking on my part.

BTW, I'd rather Obsidian do it than Bioware. This can't really be justified in any way, but I get an arrogant "we know better than you" vibe from Bioware these days (somewhat justified given the successes of BG, NWN 1, and KotOR 1). Obsidian generally feels a lot more "blue collar" to me, and that, IMO, tends to be the environment where daring and innovation seem to thrive the most.
Robb Stark is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #33
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutmeister
Whatever the reason, I think OE has gotten off to a rocky start as a development company. It's good they have a couple of Sega titles to work on. Hopefully they'll be able to provide a better showing with those.
True but at least Atari is allowing OE to continually to work on bug patches-upgrades for NWN2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Stark
BTW, I'd rather Obsidian do it than Bioware. This can't really be justified in any way, but I get an arrogant "we know better than you" vibe from Bioware these days (somewhat justified given the successes of BG, NWN 1, and KotOR 1). Obsidian generally feels a lot more "blue collar" to me, and that, IMO, tends to be the environment where daring and innovation seem to thrive the most.
OE has been as open as possible without braking any NDA agreements on the SA gaming forum.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #34
Lordzink
Lurker

Bioware > OE

Sorry... But I haven't liked any of the equels that OE has done (NWN 2, and I loved NWN 1). I only played K2 because I had to know what happened story wise... and not even that was finished and the ending was totally lame. Aslo stop being so nice to OE saying that LA was beging to hard on them or making deadlines. They should have stoood there ground and said it's just not finish... and finished it.

I would love to see Bioware redo K2 as in finishing it. Then release K3 that connects to K1 and K2 and make K3 the last game for Knight of the Old Republic Series.
Lordzink is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #35
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordzink
Bioware > OE

Sorry... But I haven't liked any of the equels that OE has done (NWN 2, and I loved NWN 1). I only played K2 because I had to know what happened story wise... and not even that was finished and the ending was totally lame. Also stop being so nice to OE saying that LA was being to hard on them or making deadlines. They should have stood their ground and said it's just not finish... and finished it.

I would love to see Bioware redo K2 as in finishing it. Then release K3 that connects to K1 and K2 and make K3 the last game for Knight of the Old Republic Series.
Seeing that TSL was OE's first game. They really had a lot of power where LA is concerned. I am sure they learned the lessons of Troika Games very well.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #36
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
I don't believe that the dates were moved up after development started. IIRC the issue was OE tried to do to much with the time they had. That isn't really LAs fault.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #37
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
I don't believe that the dates were moved up after development started. IIRC the issue was OE tried to do to much with the time they had. That isn't really LAs fault.
Nope. Two months were cut from the schedule. The pc version was originally stated to come out only in febuary, two months after the planned Xbox release in december. But about halfway through, they were suddenly both said to come out in december. QED: Two months cut from the development cycle.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/588/588057p1.html

Old 03-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #38
Lordzink
Lurker

Well they say... "..three stirkes your out!.." hehe

Wonder what game they will goof up next =)
Lordzink is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2007, 03:04 AM   #39
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'll never understand why people keep bringing up TSL being incomplete. That game is perfectly finished if you think about it.

On-topic, BioWare's stated they're not doing KotOR III (with all the games they're developing and their preference for working on their own IP, I'm not surprised). But I prefer Obsidian in any case so it doesn't seem like much of a loss to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #40
Mister Chief
Rookie

Where did bioware directly state that they wouldn't do it?
Mister Chief is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Man, I hate to do this...