lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Official Transformers Movie Thread [Spoilers!]
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #41
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,343
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
Starscream is recognizable enough. As I said, he has a lot of similarities to his cartoon designs.
I really don't see how you can say that this...



is recognizable as this and this...



They could certainly make the design very different yet immediately recognizable. Why deviate so drastically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
however since they're not using the mass shifting that made all the transformations look weird in G1, the design has to look slightly different and they have to compensate his huge upper body with a smaller lower body
I'm not sure if the mass shifting explanation holds water. The toy above doesn't have mass shifting at all, yet it clearly looks like the Starscream from the cartoon. Saying that they want to get rid of mass shifting in no way prevents them from having a design that is reflective of (but not necessarily identical to) the original characters.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #42
Curt-Man
Swoop?
 
Curt-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rockin' on my Air Guitar!
Posts: 3,476
Live with it, I'm pretty sure the designers aren't surfing our forums taking our advice, no point in complaining about it.

But the movie still looks so amazing.


Curt-Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #43
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
Heheh... I don't think Prime posted his thoughts here in the expectation that the design team on the film would read them, Curt-Man.

Therefore there's as much of a "point" to Prime's evaluations as there is to your response. More of a "point", actually. Just because you think the movie looks "so amazing" doesn't mean that people can't criticise aspects of the trailers/concept art that they find negative now, does it. Of course it doesn't.

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
Starscream is recognizable enough. As I said, he has a lot of similarities to his cartoon designs.
He's not recognisable at all, as I've previously stated, and as Prime has proven with his images. He's a totally different alien robot.

If that's "recognisable enough" for you, that's good for you, but it's not sufficient for me, as is obvious from my posts.

As for the many "similarities to his cartoon design"... The old Starscream transformed into a plane. The new Starscream transforms into a plane, albeit a different one. That's basically the only meaningful similarity between the two character designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
plus, when he transforms in the tv spot, he looks badass.
That's not up for debate, as far as I'm aware. He may look "badass", he may not... but the point is he doesn't look like Starscream. And the question I've posed is: "why not"?


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #44
Black Knight of Keno
Darth Tepe of today
 
Black Knight of Keno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 3,908
Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxStar
Hugo Weaving is doing the voice of Megatron
Oh, that's great. Now I'll think Agent Smith has taken over the Decepticons when I see the movie

And yes, I'll have to agree that most of the Transformers will ned to get used to, but still, changing someone from a Beetle to a Camaro is just wrong. It's like changing Megatron from the classic gun into a fighter jet; You can adapt, but it's hard if you've learned to love the classic


"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance,
the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe,
are challenged by this point of pale light.
Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
"

- Carl Sagan
Black Knight of Keno is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #45
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!
 
Lightsaberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 1,373
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
And yes, I'll have to agree that most of the Transformers will ned to get used to, but still, changing someone from a Beetle to a Camaro is just wrong. It's like changing Megatron from the classic gun into a fighter jet; You can adapt, but it's hard if you've learned to love the classic
Well in G1, he didn't have a choice on what vehicle to pick, since Teletran I did all the selection. In this movie, they get to select their own vehicles, so why would someone want to pick a measly VW bug as their alt form . Besides, there's gonna be a bunch of high-speed chases in this movie, and quite frankly it would look a bit off seeing a VW beetle zoom down the road trying to look cool. and besides, a gun wouldn't work on the big screen. not only would mass shifting make it look dumb how a huge towering robot transforms into a teeny tiny gun, but he has to have someone else operate him. Not much of a threat there.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the mass shifting explanation holds water. The toy above doesn't have mass shifting at all, yet it clearly looks like the Starscream from the cartoon. Saying that they want to get rid of mass shifting in no way prevents them from having a design that is reflective of (but not necessarily identical to) the original characters.
The toy is replicated from the cartoon design, but the cartoon design itself used mass shifting. If you noticed in the cartoons, when they transformed they would shift their weird parts around and everything wouldn't be proportionate and yet when they came in robot form they looked fine and all the robots were more or less the same size, regardless of their alt mode. This movie wants to do away with mass shifting, which means that the size of the vehicle is also reflective of the size of the transformer. When most of them transformed in the cartoon, they came out to about size as one another when fighting each other, but a F-22 is greatly larger than a Peterbilt truck, so when desigining the robot form, they want to make it so that when Starscream transforms, he basically doesn't tower over all of the other Autobots. Already his robot form is 4 ft taller than Optimus and almost twice the size of Bumblebee, but they have to work with what they have. In the cartoon, they didn't care about this proportion stuff and left it to mass shifting. That's the reason they made Optimus a long-nose truck instead of a flat-nose also, so they could have all that extra mass to make him bigger.

Quote:
They could certainly make the design very different yet immediately recognizable. Why deviate so drastically?
They did make it recognizable. You're just not looking hard enough.

notice how his cockpit folds down to his chest just like his old forms. His upper body maintains the same upside-down triangular shape. His wings can be seen protruding out of his back behind each shoulders. These are elements that make Starscream's essential design.



and Besides, all you guys are complaining about is the aesthetics of the Transformers. What's more important is their personalities. As far as I know, Starscream maintains his treacherous personality and will often bicker with Megatron just like in the cartoons. He is still Starscream and acts like him even if he might not look like it to you. Did you guys keep complaining about the batmobile in Batman Begins because it looked very different from the old designs? The X-Men didn't dress in colorful spandex in the movie, did you complain about that too? When they changed Bonds to Daniel Craig, were you guys complaining about how he looked nothing like the classic Bonds you were used to? and what about Superman's costume in Superman Returns? They kept that very similar to the comic design and everyone complained that it looked too goofy, even though the design was very similar to what they were used to.

I say we should hold judgement until the movie comes out. You guys are already passing it off because they don't look like the cartoons. When you go watch the movie, you're going to watch with a closed-mind only thinking about how it's nothing like the cartoon designs, and that's gonna make you think of everything negative about the movie when watching it. Don't take the movie as a literal interpretation of the cartoon. This is supposed to be a retelling of the franchise. Just go watch it with an open mind.


It's my ILLUSION!
Lightsaberboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #46
Black Knight of Keno
Darth Tepe of today
 
Black Knight of Keno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 3,908
Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
Did you guys keep complaining about the batmobile in Batman Begins because it looked very different from the old designs?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
The X-Men didn't dress in colorful spandex in the movie, did you complain about that too?
Never cared for the X-Men that much, but now that you mention it Wolverine looks way cooler with the yellow on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
When they changed Bonds to Daniel Craig, were you guys complaining about how he looked nothing like the classic Bonds you were used to?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
and what about Superman's costume in Superman Returns? They kept that very similar to the comic design and everyone complained that it looked too goofy, even though the design was very similar to what they were used to
Nope. I think the new Superman outfit looks great. Very true to the comics.

Wow... I'm a whiny bitch. But at least my whines have a reason. Bring back the classics!


"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance,
the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe,
are challenged by this point of pale light.
Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
"

- Carl Sagan
Black Knight of Keno is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #47
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
In this movie, they get to select their own vehicles, so why would someone want to pick a measly VW bug as their alt form . Besides, there's gonna be a bunch of high-speed chases in this movie, and quite frankly it would look a bit off seeing a VW beetle zoom down the road trying to look cool.
Ohhh you didn't just assert that a pathetic Camaro is cooler than a VW Beetle, (the epitome of retro cool) did you? How provincial of you.

Once again, you're making arbitrary value-judgements. Just because YOU think a Camaro is "more cool", (for whatever strange reason,) doesn't make it a good reason to drastically change an established Transformers character. Same goes for Michael Bay.

But let's face it, these vehicles weren't changed for any design-specific reason, they were changed because the filmmakers struck a deal with General Motors. Most of the vehicles in the movie are apparently GM vehicles.

It's a giant product-placement deal, and therefore it is not an artistic decision, and is arguably reprehensible from an artistic standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
a F-22 is greatly larger than a Peterbilt truck, so when desigining the robot form, they want to make it so that when Starscream transforms, he basically doesn't tower over all of the other Autobots. Already his robot form is 4 ft taller than Optimus and almost twice the size of Bumblebee, but they have to work with what they have.
Doesn't compute, Light. Doesn't compute.

The fact is that they've decided to make him fat, with a huge simian torso, and little short legs. INSTEAD of that, they could have made his torso more humanoid and therefore smaller (as befits the character) and made his legs more humanoid (as befits the character) without making him taller. He's got big long arms. Why? Add that mass to the legs instead. Move some bits around. A child could do it.

Cut it how you like Light, this is NOT recognisable as Starscream, it's a new character design entirely, and there's simply no good reason for it. I'm baffled as to why you're denying this obvious fact. If you LIKE the new character, fine, say so... but don't deny that it IS a new character. That doesn't make any kind of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
notice how his cockpit folds down to his chest just like his old forms. His upper body maintains the same upside-down triangular shape. His wings can be seen protruding out of his back behind each shoulders. These are elements that make Starscream's essential design.
  1. His torso was NOT an inverted triangular shape in the original designs. It was a basically proportioned humanoid torso. Proof: http://graysmatter.codivation.com/co...starscream.jpg . There were wings on his back, but they were like a cloak.
  2. This new character does indeed have wings poking out of his back somewhere, but that doesn't offset the fact that his whole body is totally different to Starscream's. Same goes for the cockpit. Frankly, if these nitpicky little minute similarities are the closest you can come to linking the two utterly disparate character designs, my case is proven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
and Besides, all you guys are complaining about is the aesthetics of the Transformers. What's more important is their personalities. As far as I know, Starscream maintains his treacherous personality and will often bicker with Megatron just like in the cartoons. He is still Starscream and acts like him even if he might not look like it to you.
Oh please, you have no idea whether they've handled the personalities well yet. If/When they release some footage that shows dialogue or character interactions we'll be able to comment on the way Bay has handled the personalities.

Until then, all we can talk about is character design, because that's all we've been shown. And contrary to your baffling protestations, these character designs are nothing like the original transformers.

Amusingly presented examples: http://graysmatter.codivation.com/Ho...rPictures.aspx

And frankly, the fact that Bay's been willing to change so much about the characters bodies doesn't bode well for what he's willing to do to their personalities. As a fan, it worries me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
Did you guys keep complaining about the batmobile in Batman Begins because it looked very different from the old designs?
There were examples of Batman using vehicles similar in design to the Tumbler in the comics. Therefore it was a canonical design choice. I could cite the highly influential "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller as just one example. So what's your point?

Let me put it this way: This new character purporting to be "Starscream" is equivalent to removing Batman's bat-ears. Consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
The X-Men didn't dress in colorful spandex in the movie, did you complain about that too?
I'm with Keno, I never liked the stupid X-Men anyway. And the movies were pretty awful too.

Still, what they've done to Starscream is like taking away two of Wolverine's claws. The question is: Why would one do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
When they changed Bonds to Daniel Craig, were you guys complaining about how he looked nothing like the classic Bonds you were used to?
Well I wasn't, because as a fan of Ian Fleming's Bond novels, I knew that Daniel Craig was closer to the character as written by Fleming than any of the previous actors who played it onscreen. Connery included.

And once again, what they've done to Starscream is the equivalent of giving James Bond a baseball cap. Does it match the character's normal mode of dress? Nope. So why do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
I say we should hold judgement until the movie comes out. You guys are already passing it off because they don't look like the cartoons. When you go watch the movie, you're going to watch with a closed-mind only thinking about how it's nothing like the cartoon designs, and that's gonna make you think of everything negative about the movie when watching it.
Oh take your straw-man away and burn it, will you. Nobody's saying "OMG Starscream's a new character so the entire movie will be awful", so stop suggesting that we are.

Furthermore, the idea that we're such children that we won't be able to enjoy a movie on its own merits is just insulting. I for one may enjoy the movie... but I won't enjoy recognising all my favourite transformers... because there are only two recognisable transformers in the movie that I've seen so far.

I am saying that this specific design choice is dubious, with negative aspects. Also, that it doesn't necessarily bode well for design choices we HAVEN'T heard about yet. End of story.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #48
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,343
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt-Man
Live with it, I'm pretty sure the designers aren't surfing our forums taking our advice, no point in complaining about it.
Where am I complaining that the new designs suck or that the designers should change it? I have said repeatedly that I am open to changes.

My point was why deviate so drastically from the original characters, if they are to be reflective of the original characters. My other point was to counter the claim that Starscream is immediately recognizable as the original character.

Again, I'm not saying his new design blows or everything should look exactly like the cartoon. So don't put words in my mouth.

And we should have any opinions on anything because they won't reach the ears of the creators??? Or just opinions that say there are no flaws? Why is it bad to question why things were done a certain way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
The toy is replicated from the cartoon design, but the cartoon design itself used mass shifting.
Actually, the cartoon was used to sell the toys, and the characters were reflective of their toy counterparts, since that is why the cartoon came into existence.

In any event, that is not the point. My point is that the toy shows that you can easily design a model that uses no mass shifting (as no toy does) yet looks closer to the recognizable character. I'm saying that the idea that mass shifting is necessary to make the character look more similar is not true at all. I'm not saying Starscream needed to be a copy, I'm saying he pretty much could have been if desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
This movie wants to do away with mass shifting, which means that the size of the vehicle is also reflective of the size of the transformer. When most of them transformed in the cartoon, they came out to about size as one another when fighting each other, but a F-22 is greatly larger than a Peterbilt truck, so when desigining the robot form, they want to make it so that when Starscream transforms, he basically doesn't tower over all of the other Autobots.
But he does tower over other Autobots. If Starscream is 32 feet high, then he does tower over Jazz (13 feet), Bumblebee (17 feet), Ratchet (24 feet), and Iron Hide (26 feet). In the case of Jazz and Bumblebee, he is twice their size. So if their goal was to make him not tower over them, they seem to have failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
and Besides, all you guys are complaining about is the aesthetics of the Transformers. What's more important is their personalities.
I'm not complaining about anything. I'm saying that the statement was that Starscream is immediately recognizable as his cartoon/toy/comic counterpart is a reach at best. That's all. And the question was posed as why that's the case, since other characters, like Optimus, are indeed much closer to their original designs. There certainly aren't any real technical reasons for it, as I have tried to point out.

And to say their appearance doesn't make much difference at all, I don't really agree with either. Yes their personalities are important, but they are equally well known and popular because of the toys, which are physical things known for transformations and appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
Did you guys keep complaining about the batmobile in Batman Begins because it looked very different from the old designs?
No, because it's design is actually closer to the original in the The Dark Knight Returns comic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
The X-Men didn't dress in colorful spandex in the movie, did you complain about that too?
No, because Wolverine, Cyclops, Colossus, Storm, Professor X and Co. were immediately recognizable as their comic counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
and what about Superman's costume in Superman Returns? They kept that very similar to the comic design and everyone complained that it looked too goofy, even though the design was very similar to what they were used to.
I loved it, precisely for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
I say we should hold judgement until the movie comes out. You guys are already passing it off because they don't look like the cartoons. When you go watch the movie, you're going to watch with a closed-mind only thinking about how it's nothing like the cartoon designs, and that's gonna make you think of everything negative about the movie when watching it. Don't take the movie as a literal interpretation of the cartoon. This is supposed to be a retelling of the franchise. Just go watch it with an open mind.
Not once did I say that the movie was going to be bad. Not once did I say I wasn't looking forward to it or thought the designs were terrible. Not once did I say the characters should look just like the cartoons. Not once did I say the movie should be a literal interpretation of the comics/cartoon. You are the one that is jumping to the conclusion that I hate all of it because I disagree that Starscream looks like his old self.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #49
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!
 
Lightsaberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 1,373
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
But he does tower over other Autobots. If Starscream is 32 feet high, then he does tower over Jazz (13 feet), Bumblebee (17 feet), Ratchet (24 feet), and Iron Hide (26 feet). In the case of Jazz and Bumblebee, he is twice their size. So if their goal was to make him not tower over them, they seem to have failed.
That's why I said they had to work with what they had. an F-22 by itself is already way bigger than all those other vehicles, so there's only so much they could do with the designs.

I apologize if I sound like I'm attacking people. It's just that i've heard people complain about the designs since last year so it gets tiring after a while hearing people say the same things over and over, about Starscream this, and bumblebee that, optimus this, megatron that. I loved watching the original cartoons. I loved watching Beast Wars. I know that there is more to the transformers series than just G1. I'm just gonna take this movie for what it is: another part of the overall Transformers franchise.


It's my ILLUSION!
Lightsaberboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #50
Curt-Man
Swoop?
 
Curt-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rockin' on my Air Guitar!
Posts: 3,476
Remind me never to speak my unthought through thoughts on the forums again


Curt-Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #51
MrWally
Gunslinger
 
MrWally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The City of Lights
Posts: 2,365
Forum Veteran 
Yessir.

Never speak your unthought through thoughts on the forums again.

You're welcome.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #52
narfblat
Forumite
 
narfblat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere else.
Posts: 693
At least one of the changes may be less frivilous than you think. A link in a forum my brother was on said that VW had refused to let them use the beetle in their movie. Silly Germans.


I support "No Child Left Standing"

I have Attention Surplus Disorder.
narfblat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #53
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!
 
Lightsaberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 1,373
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
They could've gone with another smaller car like a minicooper or a pt cruiser. Eh the camaro seems fine. the only thing that bothers me is that he's now taller than bumblebee, but that's because a camaro is already bigger than a pontiac solstice.


It's my ILLUSION!
Lightsaberboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #54
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,343
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt-Man
Remind me never to speak my unthought through thoughts on the forums again
Don't let that stop you. My unthought through thoughts are just more longwinded than yours.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #55
Rogue15
Reconnaissance Specialist
 
Rogue15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,528
Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer 10 year veteran! 
didnt know that many people were into transformers...i'd rather see beast wars, tbh.


Battle is a pure form of expression. It is heart and discipline, reduced to movement and motion. In battle, the words are swept away, giving way to actions-- mercy, sacrifice, anger, fear. These are pure moments of expression.
Rogue15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #56
Lorden Darkblade
Computer Crazy
 
Lorden Darkblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,474
I always liked the original Transformers more.
I have to agree that some of the robots are very different from what they were before, but I'll try not to judge the film before I see it which by the way I'm very anxious about.



Lorden Darkblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #57
BongoBob
Good Eye, Sniper
 
BongoBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Camper Velourium
Posts: 6,391
Current Game: BC2, FFXIII
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue15
didnt know that many people were into transformers...i'd rather see beast wars, tbh.
I never really watched Transformers. Beast Wars, however, I watched religiously.

Beast Wars > *


BongoBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #58
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,343
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue15
didnt know that many people were into transformers...i'd rather see beast wars, tbh.
I think it is a generational thing.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #59
DarkStarMojo
Junior Member
 
DarkStarMojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Rockin' in the Free World
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
I think it is a generational thing.
Yep. I loved Beast Wars and I'd love to one day see a Beast Wars live action movie. For now, though, a new continuity based on G1 on the big screen is an awesome idea.

Now, before the debate gets too far out of hand here's a little bit of news:

a new TV spot leaked:

http://www.tfw2005.com/
Right on the front page. Looks pretty cool but Prime's mouth is a bit distracting.


Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Project lead, lead mapper
http://www.darkforces.jediknight.net
http://dfmod.blogspot.com

Last edited by DarkStarMojo; 04-13-2007 at 05:45 PM.
DarkStarMojo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #60
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!
 
Lightsaberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 1,373
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
the mouth's gonna take some getting used to, but hearing him speak was awesome.


It's my ILLUSION!
Lightsaberboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 PM   #61
RoxStar
Moderator
 
RoxStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,411
Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
THAT ****ER GAVE PRIME GIRL LIPS!
RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #62
Lorden Darkblade
Computer Crazy
 
Lorden Darkblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,474
Awesome video.
I'm really anxious about this movie. I have one question though, in any of these trailers and spots for tv has Megatron appeared?



Lorden Darkblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #63
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!
 
Lightsaberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 1,373
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
he was in the "hidden" tv spot, but only for .2 seconds in his frozen form.


It's my ILLUSION!
Lightsaberboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #64
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
Awful mouth with awful animation!

What an awful decision to make.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #65
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen
 
acdcfanbill's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Random Hell Wholes around the
Posts: 5,697
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
hegerrrrk... urgnnn... UNGK! *death*

*from beyond the grave* Michael Bay you bastard!

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #66
Lorden Darkblade
Computer Crazy
 
Lorden Darkblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
he was in the "hidden" tv spot, but only for .2 seconds in his frozen form.
Really?
I didn't see...
I'm curious about how he'll look in the movie.



Lorden Darkblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #67
MrWally
Gunslinger
 
MrWally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The City of Lights
Posts: 2,365
Forum Veteran 
Well, I don't think the lips are enough to make the movie any less enjoyable...

But it seems like half the world disagrees with me.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #68
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!
 
Lightsaberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 1,373
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
first audio clip of starscream from the sector seven site:
http://www.sectorseven.org/classifie...ie3-402mig.mp3

from what I can hear, he says,"Attention sector seven. Starscream. The AllSpark will be mine, regardless of your intentions." I can't make out the last part tho, but he sounds like he's up to his shady ways as always. But the voice sounds pretty good. Not sure why it keeps warping the way it does tho, but who knows.


It's my ILLUSION!
Lightsaberboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #69
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,370
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
first audio clip of starscream from the sector seven site:
http://www.sectorseven.org/classifie...ie3-402mig.mp3

from what I can hear, he says,"Attention sector seven. Starscream. The AllSpark will be mine, regardless of your intentions." I can't make out the last part tho, but he sounds like he's up to his shady ways as always. But the voice sounds pretty good. Not sure why it keeps warping the way it does tho, but who knows.
Sounds okay to me.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #70
Black Knight of Keno
Darth Tepe of today
 
Black Knight of Keno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 3,908
Roleplayer 
It says, at least to my ear:
"Attention, sector seven. Starscream. The AllSpark will be mine, regardless of your intentions. Face another nation"


"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance,
the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe,
are challenged by this point of pale light.
Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
"

- Carl Sagan
Black Knight of Keno is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #71
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!
 
Lightsaberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 1,373
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
some news about the leaked spot with Optimus speaking. It is in fact not Optimus or Cullen's voice, but something that was added in for test purposes.
from Bay's blog:
Quote:
>> The unreleased ad (Prime speaks) that was posted on youtube was a test that European were making with the ads. The clip where OP was "speaking," lets just say that it wasn't OP or Cullen speaking. It was something the European studios added on their own. In fact, it was a test shot.
makes sense since he sounded a lot lower and raspy in that spot than he normally does.

http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/newsblog.html


It's my ILLUSION!
Lightsaberboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #72
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
Wasn't Cullen eh, that's good. I hope it wasn't the finished mouth animation either, because it's so crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight of Keno
It says, at least to my ear:
"Attention, sector seven. Starscream. The AllSpark will be mine, regardless of your intentions. Face another nation"
Sounds more like "face annihilation" to me. The voice sounds okay, a little generic voice-actey. Not very distinctive.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #73
Curt-Man
Swoop?
 
Curt-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rockin' on my Air Guitar!
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarMojo

a new TV spot leaked:

http://www.tfw2005.com/
Right on the front page. Looks pretty cool but Prime's mouth is a bit distracting.
couldn't find it.


Curt-Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #74
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,343
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
first audio clip of starscream from the sector seven site:
http://www.sectorseven.org/classifie...ie3-402mig.mp3
Let's face it. Not their fault, but if it isn't Chris Latta, I'm going to think it is inferior.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #75
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff
 
Jan Gaarni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,806
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I kinda agree with you there, Prime

If it doesn't sound like Starscream, it isn't quite Starscream

I'll have to watch the movie first though, maybe it'll change my mind.

EDIT: Uuu, didn't read the whole thread propperly I see.

Starscream looks like a big, fat gorilla if you ask me.
Nothing wrong with gorillas, don't get me wrong, but he didn't used to look like an animal.

And I'm almost afraid to ask, but, what does Megatron transform into?
Can't really guess what from his 'human' form.




Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
- May the pants be with you!

A smile is the shortest distance between people - Victor Borge!


Custom Avatar by Wraith 8

Last edited by Jan Gaarni; 04-23-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Jan Gaarni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #76
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,343
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gaarni
And I'm almost afraid to ask, but, what does Megatron transform into?
Ass.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #77
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
He transforms into ass?

OMG. I thought Michael Bay was making some dubious choices, but this is beyond the pale.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #78
DarkStarMojo
Junior Member
 
DarkStarMojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Rockin' in the Free World
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt-Man
couldn't find it.
The clip's been pulled, unfortunately. But that's the problem with leaks like this.

Anyhow, the "TV Spot" seems to have been an amalgamation of different footage and effects put together to gauge how the trailers should be paced, mood, atmosphere, etc. That would explain the shot of Prime talking. He's neither saying what the voice is saying (his movement of his mouth doesn't quite sync up to the words "My name is Optimus Prime") and there's no way in hell he could bend down that far to talk to Sam and Mikaela, unless he was as flexible as an ostrich. Basically, a shot of Sam and Mikaela looking at Optimus was combined with an unfinished shot of Prime's head talking with a different voice thrown over it. The voice, apparently, was also altered by the European divisions of the studios to make it deeper.

As for Starscream's voice, rumor is that it's a fan voice actor who actually tried out for the movie but, supposedly didn't get a part in the film. Regardless of who it is, I rather like the clip. It sounds oily enough to be Starscream without being overly screeching and high pitched, which would kill any shred of serious deadliness the character's supposed to have.


Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Project lead, lead mapper
http://www.darkforces.jediknight.net
http://dfmod.blogspot.com
DarkStarMojo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #79
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!
 
Lightsaberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 1,373
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
a bunch of high res pics of the transformers now. From the top then left to right they go Optimus, bumblebee, irohide, Jazz, Megatron, starscream, Blackout, and Frenzy.

http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/newsblog.html


It's my ILLUSION!
Lightsaberboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2007, 04:05 AM   #80
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,370
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaberboy
a bunch of high res pics of the transformers now. From the top then left to right they go Optimus, bumblebee, irohide, Jazz, Megatron, starscream, Blackout, and Frenzy.

http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/newsblog.html
I have to admit they look pretty ****ing cool

....except Frenzy

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > Official Transformers Movie Thread [Spoilers!]

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.