lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [NWN2] Module Competition
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
[NWN2] Module Competition

Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob McGinnis
Obsidian Entertainment is pleased to announce its first Community Mod-Making contest.

For each mod-making contest there will be a theme, such as “The April Fool.” Each mod entered into this contest will involve the theme in some way. For “The April Fool” you might make a module about a court jester or a comedy. Maybe you might just make a silly mod, or perhaps you will make a dark mod about someone being fooled into giving up their fortune, their love or their soul.

For this first contest, the theme will be “Grimm’s Fairy Tales.” The final day to submit modules will be Monday, April 30th at noon Pacific Time.

You can remake one of Grimm’s Fairy Tales or do anything else as long as your mod has something to do with the theme.

Here are the rules for the contest:

1. All work submitted must be your own, with the following exceptions: You can use anything already submitted on Neverwinter Vault (http://nwvault.ign.com) as of the date of the contest announcement (you cannot use anything submitted to the vault after the contest is announced). You can ask for advice in the Toolset, Scripting or Custom Content forums, but no one can do any of the mod-making for you.

2. A document explaining your module must be included as a ReadMe. It should be no more than one page in length.

3. Each module must contain two to five areas. You must have at least one interior and one exterior. One of the exterior areas may be up to 24x24 in size, but the rest of the exterior areas may not exceed 16x16.

4. Modules should have at least 30 minutes, but no more than two hours of gameplay.

5. Entries should be uploaded to Neverwinter Vault on or before the declared end of the contest so that others may see your work. The module must be identified as a contest submission. Links to your module should also be placed in the thread (this thread) announcing the contest to make it easier for people to find them.

6. The winners will be announced about 30 days after the end of the contest. The contest will be judged by the community (voting on the vault) and by the Neverwinter Nights 2 Live team.

7. Have fun!

We have some great prizes lined up for the winners! I can’t wait to see what your imaginations cook up.

Rob
I most likely won't be taking part, a combination of being very busy and not liking the topic in question. I just thought I would post here for any NWN2 players/modders who operate outside the main community.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos
Source

II most likely won't be taking part, a combination of being very busy and not liking the topic in question. I just thought I would post here for any NWN2 players/modders who operate outside the main community.
Interesting. It would have been better if they made the Toolset actually usable without pulling out your hair before doing official mod making contests, in my opinion. I'm holding off any serious NWN2 modding until the tools are patched up enough that they don't constantly grate on your sanity while using them.

Judging by earlier Mod contests for NWN1 that Bioware has held these contents usually don't produce the best quality modules either since the time you have to work is too short to produce anything more advanced.

Still, it will be interesting to see if this helps the NWN2 modding community get started better. It's had a fairly rocky and slow start so far compared to its predecessor.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Smile Is it any good

Are the Never-Winter-Nights games any good? I love Kotor, but have never experienced NWN. Would you recommend this game for a Kotor fan and are theere any good mods for the game?
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_King
Are the Never-Winter-Nights games any good? I love Kotor, but have never experienced NWN. Would you recommend this game for a Kotor fan and are theere any good mods for the game?
They're great games. I've just started NWN2 and I vastly enjoyed NWN. And they both have mods available to them, though the NWN2 modding community isn't the greatest from what I've seen so far.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
They're great games. I've just started NWN2 and I vastly enjoyed NWN. And they both have mods available to them, though the NWN2 modding community isn't the greatest from what I've seen so far.
The modding community is active... just not as active as it was when NWN was this old. It's sequel-syndrome, really. There is a viable alternative to Neverwinter Nights 2 in the form of its predecessor. I've no doubt that people will slowly migrate over to the second game as support is phased out for the first and patches come for the second.

I didn't much enjoy the stock Neverwinter Nights OC... it was a little bland for my tastes - definitely one of BioWare's weaker releases. NWN2's OC is much better, in my opinion. The impression you get from the second game is that it is a CRPG with the added bonus of a toolset - rather than a toolset with the added bonus of a CRPG.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos
The modding community is active... just not as active as it was when NWN was this old. It's sequel-syndrome, really. There is a viable alternative to Neverwinter Nights 2 in the form of its predecessor. I've no doubt that people will slowly migrate over to the second game as support is phased out for the first and patches come for the second.

I didn't much enjoy the stock Neverwinter Nights OC... it was a little bland for my tastes - definitely one of BioWare's weaker releases. NWN2's OC is much better, in my opinion. The impression you get from the second game is that it is a CRPG with the added bonus of a toolset - rather than a toolset with the added bonus of a CRPG.
Well, would you recommend i just give them a miss and stick to Kotor which is still very much alive and kicking?
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Well, would you recommend i just give them a miss and stick to Kotor which is still very much alive and kicking?
NWN1 I wouldn't bother playing, but I'd definitely get NWN2 if I were you. The OC is quite a bit of fun, and the toolset, for all its faults, is better than the one for NWN1 IMO. With interest in the first game dying out and Obsidian being busy with patches (or possibly expansion packs?) for the second, there should be a lot of fan-made modules out soon.

KotOR is far from alive and kicking anyway. With Mass Effect and NWN2, the second game has lot of interest (even with the TSLRP). The first one has much less. It's only a matter of time until it dies completely IMO - I've noticed a lot less mods coming out for them, and most of the ones that do are very simple ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Jimbo's having fun with NWN, and I've been enjoying NWN2 very much--almost as much as K1 and 2 (and that's only because I _love_ the SW universe).
Jimbo got the World Editor guide for NWN2, which helps with the modding.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #9
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
I would highly recommend NWN1 Diamond edition and NWN2.

The Hordes of Undertide Expansion Pack for NWN1 is worth the money alone. I thought that the OC for NWN1 was decent. Plus all of the great SP mods.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > [NWN2] Module Competition