lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: PCGamemods back?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
EnIgmA_XX
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 146
PCGM is back, everyone can get all the mods they want again! yay!

Sorry, i dunno if posting about this is against the rules or anything, but i wanted to say this in case some people have given up on PCGM and stopped checking to see if the site has gotten back up again.


Mod note: Split off discussion from the Mod Request Link thread and merged with this one to keep all this in one place. Looks like this post automatically took over Hannibal's thread in the process though. ~M

Last edited by stoffe; 04-12-2007 at 09:48 AM.
EnIgmA_XX is offline   you may:
Old 04-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Hannibal
Senior Member
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indoors
Posts: 3,225
Current Game: Black Ops/Biosock
LFN Staff Member 
PCGamemods back?

When did this happen???

Hannibal is offline   you may:
Old 04-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
stoffe
Network Caretaker
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,833
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal
When did this happen???
Past few days from what I've seen. Remains to see how long it will last this time though. In the past it's been back for a few weeks before breaking down for months again, so chances are the same thing will repeat unless they've really managed to fix whatever it is that's breaking all the time.

So if you need something from there I'd get it quickly before it breaks down again.

stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Shem
Master of the Force
 
Shem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,904
Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Past few days from what I've seen. Remains to see how long it will last this time though. In the past it's been back for a few weeks before breaking down for months again, so chances are the same thing will repeat unless they've really managed to fix whatever it is that's breaking all the time.

So if you need something from there I'd get it quickly before it breaks down again.
I just checked the other day and it was down. I guess it likes to sneak up on you like that. shock1


Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may:
Old 04-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
If I had a pound for every thread that had PCGamemods in the title...



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may:
Old 04-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,415
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
If I had a pound for every thread that had PCGamemods in the title...
You could buy the site and put in the work needed to make it stay up. :P
The Doctor is offline   you may:
Old 04-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
I could, but wouldn't haha



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may:
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Ferc Kast
Modder
 
Ferc Kast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tython
Posts: 1,586
Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnIgmA_XX
PCGM is back, everyone can get all the mods they want again! yay!

Sorry, i dunno if posting about this is against the rules or anything, but i wanted to say this in case some people have given up on PCGM and stopped checking to see if the site has gotten back up again.
Horray! Given up?<-No. Found ways around it when it was down to download mods from there?<-Yes.

Ferc Kast is offline   you may:
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
ABCIMe123
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 76
Hurray!

The only sad part is that I can't think of anything I want to download right now, and it could go down any minute!
ABCIMe123 is offline   you may:
Old 04-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #10
MdKnightR
Senior Member
 
MdKnightR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Feeling Hosed By Your Governme
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
If I had a pound for every thread that had PCGamemods in the title...
...you'd weigh a ton! (I know, bad joke and I know you are talking about currency)

MdKnightR is offline   you may:
Old 04-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air
 
Master Zionosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: High In The Sky
Posts: 1,280
Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Well, don't worry about if PCGamemods goes down again, i now know all the filenames to every mod for K1 and K2 on PCGamemods, so if you think of a mod you want and PCGamemods has just gone down i will be able to get the link for you.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may:
Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Would someone consider starting a thread and people can list the filenames/links? That way when/if it goes down again, people will have one place to go to for mod links.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
stoffe
Network Caretaker
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,833
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Would someone consider starting a thread and people can list the filenames/links? That way when/if it goes down again, people will have one place to go to for mod links.
The first post in this thread is being used for that, currently.
stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 04-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #14
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
^^^^
And all the links in T.U.C.E. and T3M4 forums should be updated as requests in that thread are fulfilled.
tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 04-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
ABCIMe123
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdKnightR
...you'd weigh a ton! (I know, bad joke and I know you are talking about currency)
Actually, he'd weigh 97 pounds; I did a search and there are 97 topics with PCGamemods in the title.
ABCIMe123 is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 04:20 AM   #16
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag
 
RC-1162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,447
Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
...you actually took that seriously and wasted time being exact?

I've stopped playing KotOR so I can't say I'm thrilled. But I will give it a look to see if theres anything that can make KotOR interesting enough to play again.


Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #17
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCIMe123
Actually, he'd weigh 97 pounds; I did a search and there are 97 topics with PCGamemods in the title.
That's even more than I thought actually, would buy me a nice GPU (with the currency that is )



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #18
Gargoyle King
Veteran
 
Gargoyle King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In My Own Little World!
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnIgmA_XX
PCGM is back, everyone can get all the mods they want again! yay!
I certainly won't be saying 'yay' to this - i've had evough of that damn site going on and off every few months - i think it's best to say 'yay' if the site 'goes away' (my own personal opinion, i used to love the site until it kept crashing)

For the record it's not the only option for Kotor mods - if it goes down again we've still got Filefront, this site and Lucasfiles so the death of PCGAMEMODS definately doesn't mean the death of Kotor modding. The best advice i can probs give is get all the mods you want off PCGAMEMODS and back them up on disc just incase the site decides for another midnight slumber - I did this when the site came back on at Christmas and now never need worry about the site going off again as i have all the mods i wanted off that site.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #19
stoffe
Network Caretaker
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,833
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_King
I certainly won't be saying 'yay' to this - i've had evough of that damn site going on and off every few months - i think it's best to say 'yay' if the site 'goes away' (my own personal opinion, i used to love the site until it kept crashing)
That's a pretty ungrateful sentiment towards a site that has been providing fast, free, user-friendly hosting for this community and others for years without even having any disruptive ad banners on the site that seem to plague all other hosting services. Before PCGM opened its KOTOR section this community was rather fractured and people had a hard time to find places to host their mods so the service the site provided was invaluable. There still aren't any other hosting services I am aware of that offer the same user-friendliness both to the one submitting files and the people downloading them. I think that is quite impressive for a site run by one person in his spare time.

I am grateful when it works; when it doesn't it is an inconvenience, but it's not like I feel the site owner owes me anything. They say you get what you pay for, but in this case I'd say the community has gotten a whole lot more than that. The only drawback to PCGM I can think of is the stability issues that have plagued the site the past year. Unfortunate, but failure to provide 24h/365day service is hardly something that would make me wish for the site to go away entirely.

That bluntly expressed sense of entitlement towards a free service is not exactly encouraging others to provide similar services in the future, in my opinion.

Last edited by stoffe; 04-14-2007 at 10:17 AM.
stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #20
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
^^^
The other drawback to PCGM that it appears to be understaffed. When it does go down, it seems like no one on the staff seems to notice, or perhaps, care. Fortunately the direct downloads links have remained available 24/365.

Sergio provided us a great launching point for distributing KotOR and TSL mods and his database continues to offer this hosting for free. Of course due to the on again/off again status of the site, uploading new mods to that site isn't advised. I agree with the sentiment that we should recognize and appreciate all PCGM has selflessly provided this community.
tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2007, 10:32 AM   #21
Gargoyle King
Veteran
 
Gargoyle King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In My Own Little World!
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
That's a pretty ungrateful sentiment towards a site that has been providing fast, free, user-friendly hosting for this community and others for years without even having any disruptive ad banners on the site that seem to plague all other hosting services. Before PCGM opened its KOTOR section this community was rather fractured and people had a hard time to find places to host their mods so the service the site provided was invaluable. There still aren't any other hosting services I am aware of that offer the same user-friendliness both to the one submitting files and the people downloading them. I think that is quite impressive for a site run by one person in his spare time.

I am grateful when it works; when it doesn't it is an inconvenience, but it's not like I feel the site owner owes me anything. They say you get what you pay for, but in this case I'd say the community has gotten a whole lot more than that. The only drawback to PCGM I can think of is the stability issues that have plagued the site the past year. Unfortunate, but failure to provide 24h/365day service is hardly something that would make me wish for the site to go away entirely.

That bluntly expressed sense of entitlement towards a free service is not exactly encouraging others to provide similar services in the future, in my opinion.
I used to feel like you Stoffe, it's not that i'm ungrateful for the website, on the contrary it's just i feel that due to the site's constant examples of instability i feel that alternatives to this website have to be found and developed. I'm sure Sergio is trying evberything to keep the website running and i'm sure we can all thank him for that but my personal opinion is that i believe the website will never be as stable as it was years back. I think the core problem itself is the amount of files on the server - especially for the Jedi Knight series. It's true that the site is certainly the most convenient when compared to the likes of LucasFiles - i'm grateful to Sergio for providing the community with this free service but it seems the website is past it's prime and like i said alternatives need to be in place just incase the website will ever reach a permanent shutdown.

Sorry if my comments came off as rude or offended you, it was just my personal opinion.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #22
ABCIMe123
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 76
I just hope it stays up at least long enough for Google to update all of their cached pages.
ABCIMe123 is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #23
Shem
Master of the Force
 
Shem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,904
Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
When PCGM started having its problems is what inspired me to get involved with FileFront to one day take it over and give you all a good place to host your mods.


Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may:
Old 04-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #24
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,505
Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Yeah I have plans to take over FileFront one day too... Oh wait, you were just talking about KotORFiles... *whistle*

It's a good alternative, though, because the site is run by real people, who are real members of the modding community, and who will get hung out to dry by you guys if they don't serve you well. They have a stake in keeping y'all happy.
Inyri is offline   you may:
Old 04-15-2007, 01:21 AM   #25
SithRevan
Veteran
 
SithRevan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delta Halo
Posts: 847
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by InyriForge
Yeah I have plans to take over FileFront one day too... Oh wait, you were just talking about KotORFiles... *whistle*

It's a good alternative, though, because the site is run by real people, who are real members of the modding community, and who will get hung out to dry by you guys if they don't serve you well. They have a stake in keeping y'all happy.
We also do it with a cheerful attitude and a long winded explaination why people should DL your mod.

PS: Well I think I would be happy working under your rule Inyri.


I have defied gods and demons.
I am your shield, I am your sword.
I know you; your past, your future.
This is the way the world ends...
-----------------------------------------
TAC-F v2.0 | Ubese Assassin's Armor | TSL: Warp Console v1.0 | Auto K1 DS Transitioning | Deralia Spaceport[TSL&K1] | Kotor2Files.com Co.Manager | K1RP: Kotor I Restoration Project
SithRevan is offline   you may:
Old 04-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #26
MetalMark
Junior Member
 
MetalMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 268
Me and some friends have already started with putting bets on dates when it will go down again. The one who has the answer most near the correct date will win.
MetalMark is offline   you may:
Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #27
Salzella
areiK
 
Salzella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,135
Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdKnightR
...you'd weigh a ton! (I know, bad joke and I know you are talking about currency)
Hah, don't worry; i giggled
Salzella is offline   you may:
Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #28
pjohn1985
Lurker
 
pjohn1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Warsaw, the capital of Poland
Posts: 7
what happened to pcgamemods.com?

Hi,
Do you have the same problem with pcgamemods.com? I cannot visit it? Did anything happened to it? Is it still working?


Mod note: Merged thread from T3M4 Tools forum. One thread dealing with the status of PCGM should be enough. ~M

Last edited by stoffe; 05-07-2007 at 11:46 AM.
pjohn1985 is offline   you may:
Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #29
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohn1985
Hi,
Do you have the same problem with pcgamemods.com? I cannot visit it? Did anything happened to it? Is it still working?
Thus Spake Zarathustra
Yes PCGM is down.
tk102 is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > PCGamemods back?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.