lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [NWN2] Expansion Pack and Model Exporter announced!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #81
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
I bet you'll be playing it within 24 hours. Since you give such great synopses of games/expansions, I'm glad you got it early.
Maybe, though first I have to go through the rather draconian task of making the Expansion compatible with all the mods I have installed. I can imagine that pretty much all the 2DA files and a fair number of the scripts have changed, so there will be plenty of work to merge everything. Hopefully it's worth the effort.

Seems like the Epic spells are implemented the same way as in NWN:HotU, as feats and not "real" spells, which most of the magic-using classes seem to share (i.e. Warlocks can use the same Epic Spells as Wizards, with just one or two exceptions).

After reading the manual I'm still rather skeptic about the whole Soul Eater thing, with the steadily draining spirit bar that weakens you as you go along and kills you if it's empty. Seems to be a whole bunch of abilities connected to this though that you can use to refill your spirit bar by doing unspeakable acts to enemies. Hopefully it turns out better than it sounds when playing.

mt
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #82
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Me want. Will probaly go to the store tomorow and buy it, but wont be able to play it because i have birthday tomorow. Stupid birthday
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #83
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Yaharr! It arrived... I'm performing a fresh install.

Edit: In other news, that is possibly the largest manual I've seen since the release of KotOR.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #84
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos
Yaharr! It arrived... I'm performing a fresh install.

Edit: In other news, that is possibly the largest manual I've seen since the release of KotOR.
It's a definite plus that they didn't just include a pamphlet in the box and the full manual as a PDF. A PDF isn't terribly useful as a reference to look things up in as you play, after all.

I finally managed to update/recreate all my modded files to the expansion and played a bit with it (still in Act 2 of the NWN2 scenario, haven't begun the Expansion scenario). The new camera modes will take a while to get used to, right now I'm fumbling around like a drunk toddler and have to pause all the time to regain my bearings and get the camera to show what I want to view. Just too bad there seems to be some bug with the camera settings making the game forget some of my settings on occasion, making me have to set them again every now and then.

Haven't noticed any of the performance boost they claim the expansion/patch should bring. My framerates still drop below 15 FPS if I have pointlight/smooth shadows on, or if I have the Shadow setting at anything other than the lowest option. Quite disappointing since pretty much all games I've bought the last two years have better performance with all settings at max. :/

Noticed they've added a bunch of new non-epic wizard/cleric/druid spells as well, so I'm going to try them out with Elanee/Sand/Zhjaeve. New toys are always fun. Just too bad the Warlock is cheerfully ignored as usual, so I'll have to make my own toys for that.

Seems like they've replaced all the casting chant sounds as well. Don't know why they did that, the current ones seem kind of tame. The older ones sounded more "magical" and powerful. But I suppose it's something you get used to as well.

mt

Last edited by stoffe; 09-28-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #85
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
The new camera modes will take a while to get used to, right now I'm fumbling around like a drunk toddler and have to pause all the time to regain my bearings and get the camera to show what I want to view.
I still don't understand the difference between Character Mode and Strategy Mode or how to switch between the two. Hmm, come to think I never knew how to switch camera modes before either. I just always rotated and zoomed in and out as necessary.

All I know is that I am suddenly very dependent on the X button to rotate my camera. I also had to really slow down zooms and rotates or I'd get virtual whiplash. That's fine but I'm not sure if it's an improvement or if it's just lost on me.

Last edited by tk102; 09-28-2007 at 08:22 PM.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #86
stoffe
Mostly dormant

MotB Hotfix released

Looks like Obsidian managed to put a broken game on the MotB expansion discs with some missing text, that they've already issued a hotfix for. So much for the supposed polish I suppose, but at least they're pretty quick to fix it.

Thread about it

(The hotfix will replace your dialog.tlk file, so if you have modded that file you need to add back your changes to it afterwards again.)

mt

Last edited by stoffe; 09-29-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #87
tk102

Quote:
(The hotfix will replace your dialog.tlk file, so if you have modded that file you need to add back your changes to it afterwards again.)
You really spoiled us with TSLPatcher.

Quote:
I still don't understand the difference between Character Mode and Strategy Mode or how to switch between the two.
Ah, I just saw the in-game Tip: Use the Numpad * key to toggle between views. Evidently I was in Strategy Mode before and Character Mode seems much more familiar.

Edit: The reason I missed that particular keymapping is because it's under "Game" keymappings and (at my resolution) I had to scroll down to see it. Call me crazy, but I think could've been listed comfortably under the "Camera" keymappings.

Last edited by tk102; 09-29-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #88
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
Ah, I just saw the in-game Tip: Use the Numpad * key to toggle between views. Evidently I was in Strategy Mode before and Character Mode seems much more familiar.
There are a bunch of settings in the options where you can tweak how Strategy and Character mode works independently. You can also set separate key bindings for controls depending on what mode you are in.

Still, I haven't managed to get it to behave quite like I'm used to, but it's close enough to have reasonable control of the camera at least.

mt
Old 09-30-2007, 06:15 AM   #89
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Thread about it

This is odd: I'm not suffering this bug at all. Everything is working perfectly - too well, don't believe I've come across a single bug yet.

How's everyone finding the campaign, by the way? It's certainly less rail-roaded than NWN2... and far more difficult. Definitely seems to be a better game thus far but I've not played that much (only up to Act II). So far, the story seems far more sinister, which is always a good thing .

Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #90
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
How's everyone finding the campaign, by the way? It's certainly less rail-roaded than NWN2... and far more difficult. Definitely seems to be a better game thus far but I've not played that much (only up to Act II). So far, the story seems far more sinister, which is always a good thing .
I haven't gotten to it yet, I'm still in Act 3 of the NWN2 campaign, on my way to the Fire Giant mountains. So be sure to add spoiler tags to any Expansion campaign spoilers. The only thing I've heard about it so far is that the endings seem to be typical Obsidian Meh endings. Someone should run a course for game developers how to do proper endings in games.

In preparation I've created a couple of feats to illicitly refill the Spirit Energy bar and reduce craving, so I can enjoy the scenario properly without having to Play By Timer when I get there. Glad there is a toolset for this game. Really, the decision to not pause the countdown during dialog is incredibly stupid. Why bother with memorable dialog at all if the player has to quickly rush-click through it all to avoid dying in the middle of it?

mt

Last edited by stoffe; 09-30-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #91
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

The spirit bar does pause in dialogue. And it isn't anywhere near as bothersome as I thought it would be . It drains slowly and it's rather easy to top it up without being evil.

Shame about the endings... but the actual game (again, thus far) seems terrific - refreshingly personal and, unless it's just an illusion, I seem to have a surprising amount of freedom to do things in whatever order I like. Can't actually think of anything bad to say but I'm sure there'll be something (like the ending) somewhere down the line.

As I said combat seems much tougher but it's not impossible - you actually need to think about your use of spells and what to do next rather than spamming things... takes me back to the Baldur's Gate days.

spoiler:
I'm a fan of the Veil Theatre, the players have some wonderful dialogue

Old 09-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #92
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
The spirit bar does pause in dialogue. And it isn't anywhere near as bothersome as I thought it would be . It drains slowly and it's rather easy to top it up without being evil.
Hmm, I read somewhere that it didn't pause... or that there was some bug that made it seemingly pause but didn't. But you probably know that better, so that's good news at least.

The biggest problem I see with it is that Suppress gives you Lawful points every time you use it, and since I play as a Warlock that makes the ability pretty much useless since I need to stay Chaotic. That leaves only Eternal Rest to refill the Spirit Energy for a Good character, so unless the game is crawling with Undead that might be problematic.

Quote:
Shame about the endings... but the actual game (again, thus far) seems terrific - refreshingly personal and, unless it's just an illusion, I seem to have a surprising amount of freedom to do things in whatever order I like.
Almost sounds like there is too much choice, to the point where significant chunks of the game can be missed out entirely if you don't happen to stumble across them. But I guess that's what replays are for.

Quote:
As I said combat seems much tougher but it's not impossible - you actually need to think about your use of spells and what to do next rather than spamming things... takes me back to the Baldur's Gate days.
Why? Because enemies are tougher, or because the Timer-of-Death thing discourages frivolous resting?

mt
Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #93
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Why? Because enemies are tougher, or because the Timer-of-Death thing discourages frivolous resting?
In summary (to save you reading all of my - mostly aimless - ramblings) they're tough because they're tough not because of the timer-of-death-doom-and-destruction

Timer-of-Death will knock about 20/100 points off the spirit meter with an 8 hour rest but if there are bodiless undead around (like wraiths), you can use the "Eternal Rest" power (which is not automatically given to you, you have to discover it) which will not increase your craving for spirits but will top up the bar and shift your alignment toward Good without doing anything on the Chaos-Law scale. But the only place you find undead are in crypts and so forth so I'm mostly having to manage by using the consume power once in a while on some poor, unsuspecting spirit wandering the countryside.

Anyway, that was quite a tangent. If you rest in dangerous areas, there's a chance you'll be ambushed by hordes of enemies (generally tough ones) but the fights themselves generally last longer because they are genuinely more difficult than the OC ones and they'd still be tough even if you could rest all over the place. I fear for my companions and my PC whenever I run into a Dead Lord or a Lich King. So, yeah... make sure you carry a fair few healing potions around with you.

Edit:

On the freedom thing: though it certainly helps to investigate things - what with quite a few Torment-esque memory recovery scenes - I don't think you'd be at a loss as to what's going on if you didn't. It's certainly not like Torment in that respect; you could actually play through to the end of that game and not know what the hell was happening because you didn't talk to anyone (I'm still rather fond of the ability to select "Who are you?" when facing the Transcendent One).

Old 09-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #94
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
you can use the "Eternal Rest" power (which is not automatically given to you, you have to discover it) which will not increase your craving for spirits but will top up the bar and shift your alignment toward Good without doing anything on the Chaos-Law scale. But the only place you find undead are in crypts and so forth so I'm mostly having to manage by using the consume power once in a while on some poor, unsuspecting spirit wandering the countryside.
Isn't consuming a spirit one of the most evil acts you can perform in D&D, essentially dooming it to non-existence and denying it any chance of an afterlife? Doesn't sound like something a Good character would do no matter what. I hope the Eternal Rest ability isn't too far into the game and is too easy to miss.

And, putting aside the morality of it all, doesn't the consume/devour abilities increase your craving and force you to consume even more, like some drug addict?

Quote:
Anyway, that was quite a tangent. If you rest in dangerous areas, there's a chance you'll be ambushed by hordes of enemies (generally tough ones) but the fights themselves generally last longer because they are genuinely more difficult than the OC ones and they'd still be tough even if you could rest all over the place. I fear for my companions and my PC whenever I run into a Dead Lord or a Lich King. So, yeah... make sure you carry a fair few healing potions around with you.
Does the ToD drain even if your sleep is interrupted, or only after you've successfully rested? Could make it all the more dangerous to rest in dangerous areas even if you can handle the monsters themselves.

About healing potions, which of your carried items do you lose at the start of the game? Only weapons, or everything you carry? Is it worthwhile to grab some of your companions' better gear at the end of the NWN2 campaign, or will you lose it all at the start of the Expansion campaign anyway?

mt
Old 09-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #95
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Isn't consuming a spirit one of the most evil acts you can perform in D&D, essentially dooming it to non-existence and denying it any chance of an afterlife? Doesn't sound like something a Good character would do no matter what. I hope the Eternal Rest ability isn't too far into the game and is too easy to miss.
Well, you could always just allow it to feed off of your memories and personality . But that ability only becomes available in extreme situations.

Quote:
And, putting aside the morality of it all, doesn't the consume/devour abilities increase your craving and force you to consume even more, like some drug addict?
Yeah, there's a second little bar which shows your craving. The greater your craving, the faster the spirit bar drain. Using the Devour Spirit power more than once in a day increases your craving. Suppressing the craving only gives you a few more points on the spirit bar but reduces your craving for souls, while putting undead to rest doesn't do anything to your craving and increases your spirit bar. I haven't read the section in the manual yet beacuse it's supposed to be slightly 'spoilerous', so no doubt there are a few other special abilities to be gained.

You do have to keep an eye on the meter but it doesn't really bother me that much. It may have something to do with my low craving levels but my spirit bar doesn't drop that quickly.

Quote:
Does the ToD drain even if your sleep is interrupted, or only after you've successfully rested? Could make it all the more dangerous to rest in dangerous areas even if you can handle the monsters themselves.
I think it does, yeah.

Quote:
About healing potions, which of your carried items do you lose at the start of the game? Only weapons, or everything you carry? Is it worthwhile to grab some of your companions' better gear at the end of the NWN2 campaign, or will you lose it all at the start of the Expansion campaign anyway?
I decided to start a new game but I think I read that you'll keep all of your equipped items aside from your weapon - so no Sword of Gith. The starting areas are not really that difficult - probably similar to an average fight in the OC.

Oh and make sure you chat to your companions regularly, their dialogues seem to update fairly often (mostly after or before critical moments in the plot) and they generally have quite a bit to say. Safiya, the Red Wizard, seems to be the most well developed thus far but it's early days yet. Hopefully the dialogue updating will continue to happen throughout the game and won't just stop half-way through.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #96
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
Well, you could always just allow it to feed off of your memories and personality . But that ability only becomes available in extreme situations.
Self-cannibalism doesn't sound particularly appealing either, unless you play as some self-sacrificing paladin.

Quote:
I haven't read the section in the manual yet beacuse it's supposed to be slightly 'spoilerous', so no doubt there are a few other special abilities to be gained.
I think you can read that section without problems, it doesn't mention anything about the plot of the game other than that you can become a spirit eater, which they've been saying for months in their marketing hype drive already. It just outlines how the Spirit Energy, craving and various abilities linked to that works.

Quote:
You do have to keep an eye on the meter but it doesn't really bother me that much. It may have something to do with my low craving levels but my spirit bar doesn't drop that quickly.
From what I've read the ToD can drain very fast if your craving gets high, so it's probably a good idea to keep the craving low if you are a Good-aligned character.

Quote:
I decided to start a new game but I think I read that you'll keep all of your equipped items aside from your weapon - so no Sword of Gith. The starting areas are not really that difficult - probably similar to an average fight in the OC.
But everything else in your backpack inventory is taken as well? Someone steals your weapon and backpack, but doesn't pry any clothing off your body? If so it might be worthwhile to burn all the precious gems and essences collected on crafting some nice things to wear before ending the NWN2 campaign.

Quote:
Oh and make sure you chat to your companions regularly, their dialogues seem to update fairly often (mostly after or before critical moments in the plot) and they generally have quite a bit to say. Safiya, the Red Wizard, seems to be the most well developed thus far but it's early days yet.
Are there any romances or "romances" in the game, causing some character to chat your ears off if you play as one gender while barely opening their mouth if you play the other?

mt
Old 09-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #97
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Does the expansion pack take away all of your weapons or just the weapon in your hand/silver sword?

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #98
Balderdash
Rookie

Quote:
The biggest problem I see with it is that Suppress gives you Lawful points every time you use it, and since I play as a Warlock that makes the ability pretty much useless since I need to stay Chaotic. That leaves only Eternal Rest to refill the Spirit Energy for a Good character, so unless the game is crawling with Undead that might be problematic.
Indeed. My wizard was actually LG before MotB (even though he started off as, and was always intended to be, NG) so this hasn't bothered me too much thus far. I've been using suppress daily. But you're right, this is a bit of a design fault, I would have to say. I'd be interested to know what they thought was lawful about using the ability.

Minor spoiler about enemies:
spoiler:
There are a fair amount of incorporeal undead in the shadow plane, but I haven't encountered them yet anywhere else.

Other than this, I'm fairly happy with the spirit bar implementation thus far. Seems to do the job it is meant to do, and it fits into the story nicely. The bar changes colour during conversations so I think this signifies it pausing, and I haven't noticed any bugs with that, myself.

I installed directly over 1.06 and haven't experienced any problems with the expansion, but I haven't played the OC since, so I had best check this. Thanks, Stoffe, for that bit of news, otherwise I would not have seen the thread...

Anyway, I'm certainly enjoying the story. I won't post any spoilers since I'm not sure where people are up too. I'm on Act 2, though. My only complaint is that there seem to be an awful lot of conversations, even with major NPCs, that were all in the text boxes, and personally I like hearing the cinematic conversations better. But it's not a big issue really.

Balderdash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #99
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Think il have to gratuade them to worse expansion ever, vanlila NWN2 quit to works for me. Thought i would do a rerun from the beginning, but the first silver shard is bugged, i can't give it to Daeghun. And first time i tryed to install the expansion no text for the new classes and races was showed.

Edit: And the graphic performance is still terrible, it lags when il have 4gb RAM and a 8800GTX grapphic card :/

Edit2: It's not only i that have this problem, have been browsing the NWN2 Forums now. It's funny how they just forgot to check if vanila NWN2 still works after the have done a expansion
Old 10-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #100
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantzen
Think il have to gratuade them to worse expansion ever, vanlila NWN2 quit to works for me. Thought i would do a rerun from the beginning, but the first silver shard is bugged, i can't give it to Daeghun. And first time i tryed to install the expansion no text for the new classes and races was showed.

Edit: And the graphic performance is still terrible, it lags when il have 4gb RAM and a 8800GTX grapphic card :/

Edit2: It's not only i that have this problem, have been browsing the NWN2 Forums now. It's funny how they just forgot to check if vanila NWN2 still works after the have done a expansion

Did you install the expansion pack correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashkae_
Problems with int eh OC after installing MotB are for people who installed MotB over a fresh install *without* patching!

Here is the issue at hand.. Installing MotB will update your game engine to 1.10 equivalent, but it does *not* patch the campaign files (and there have been many fixes/updates to those). So you have to patch NWN2 to 1.10 first to get all the campaign files updated, then you install the expansion.

If you install the expansion over top of 1.06, everything supposedly works fine. This was the status of things when the expansion went gold and was released. If, however, you are updated up to 1.10 before you install the expansion (as many people would be, that's where the auto-patcher puts you now) there is a small dialogue.txt glitch that needs fixing with the hotfix.
MoTB Install Instructions/Missing Text Fix

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #101
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Thats how i istalled it the first time and still didn't work, but i think il have fond a fix now.

But really, i don't think people should need to serch their forums to get the game to work
Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 AM   #102
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Looks like there are some MotB fixes out already - here's one that makes Suppress no longer give Lawful points and another that fixes a bug preventing some buffs from being cast on the dragon animal companion. (Oh hurrah, I've just had the experience of downloading mods for a game I don't own.)

6 more days till it hits the US, grr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2007, 07:02 AM   #103
Balderdash
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
6 more days till it hits the US, grr!
Definitely the first time I've completed a game before it's even out in the US... I hope Atari don't recieve too many complaints about this, it's extremely rare for us to get a game this much earlier - usually we're at least several days after North America.

Thanks for the suppress fix link, this will most definitely be a permanent resident in my override folder until if/when Obsidian fixes it themselves. I won't want to finish the game with LG characters every time. I won't bother with the druid dragon companion fix since I don't usually play druids. I'm sure that'll get patched pretty soon anyway.

Installing over 1.06 seems to work okay as near as I can tell, I'll probably do a complete reinstallation as and when they patch the game again though... just to be on the safe side.

spoiler:
I actually thought the ending was okay, myself... the final battle was a bit too easy, though. I beat it on my second attempt through, same as I did the King of Shadows in the OC. The second fight with Okku at the end of the first chapter was actually considerably more difficult, for me. I think that's the only other time I died, so the game wasn't too difficult.

Last edited by Balderdash; 10-03-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #104
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Act 1 question:
spoiler:

I'm having trouble getting the ghost of the Myrkul high priest give me the key to the lower vault. After that long dialog between the priest, The Child and The Brute the priest ignores me, and the journal says I have to find some way to convince him to talk to me. But I've talked to everyone I can think of (the witches, the High Priest of Kelemvor, the chief scribe ghost, the new half-celestial follower) and nobody seems to have any dialog where I can get clues how to do this.

So, how do you get the key to the lower level in the Vault of the Death God?

mt
Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #105
Balderdash
Rookie

Answer:
spoiler:
I'm fairly certain you can't get into the lower level until later on in the game... but only having completed one play through the game so far, I can't say I'm absolutely positive of this. However, as I say, I am fairly certain that you will not be able to manage it just yet...

Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #106
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

I've not really had much of a chance to play since the weekend; everything's been so busy! But what I've played (I'm still in Act 2) is seriously good stuff. The expansion also makes one or two nice nods to the original campaign - enough for them to feel closely connected but not enough so as to get this plot bogged down in the technicalities of the old one. Early days, though.

Currently, my favourite conversation tree is:

NPC: There is also word of a large fire to the south. It's not know how it started - there have been no lightning storms here for some time.
Player: You haven't, by any chance, seen an impulsive, red-headed mage girl with anger management problems lately, have you?
NPC: No, why?
Player: Just curious...

Edit: Seeing as how Devon seems ready to kill me, I promised to post some pictures. They shouldn't be spoilerific - though they do show some party members so you may not want to click if you want their appearances to remain a mystery - and they're only in areas/tilesets that have been revealed before in videos, previews, and images .

As you can see, the graphics haven't improved but the overall area design's much improved over NWN2's generic woodlands, in functionality, feel, and appearance.

Spoiler for Act 2:
spoiler:
My favourite area is the exterior of the Sunken City where the Slumbering Coven lies - yay for sea monsters!

Edit the Second: Oh and, toolset guys, yes there are waterfalls now .

Last edited by Pavlos; 10-03-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #107
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
They shouldn't be spoilerific - though they do show some party members so you may not want to click if you want their appearances to remain a mystery - and they're only in areas/tilesets that have been revealed before in videos, previews, and images .
I haven't gotten quite that far yet, though I have to say some of the places have been rather creepy in how they've been presented so far, in particular
spoiler:
the room with the operating table in the Shadow Veil where they removed the sword fragment from your chest

Speaking of party members, is there a good way to gain Influence with Kaelyn in Mulsantir? I've managed to get both the jerk Hagspawn and Safiya above up to Supportive and Devoted, but Kaelyn is still at Neutral and I seem to be running out of things to do before I have to
spoiler:
go outside and confront Okku and his army of spirits

Also, is it normal that party members are of different level? My group is currently quite spread out, with the protagonist at level 22, Safiya at level 19, Gann at 18 and Kaelyn at 17. (Though perhaps the lagging of Gann and Kaelyn behind Safiya is caused by their races having level adjustments?)

Edit:
spoiler:
I just got Okku as a party member as well and he turned out to be level 20, 1 level higher than Safiya. So unless he's a special case, or have a positive level adjustment, it may be by design that everyone are different levels so they don't level up all at once.

I also managed to find one more influence option for Kaelyn speaking with the Kelemvor high priest, though at the expense of losing influence with the jerk hagspawn. No big loss, now all of them have gotten influence feats. Though it seems like those feats grow in power the more influence you have with them, since Safiya gains quite a load of bonuses from hers.

mt

Last edited by stoffe; 10-03-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #108
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
What about the hair models? I always hated the PC's hair in NWN2. So, are there more/not horrible hair selections this time around?

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #109
Balderdash
Rookie

There are. For humans and aasimars only, it seems. The hair in Pavlos' avatar is new, and there's also another pony tail... and females have a new sort of braided look which looks quite cool, and another quite generic shortish style. The genasi races have the coolest hair going, though.

And there's also some new human heads. There are quite a few tatooed heads that they used for the various Red Wizards in the campaign, but there are others, too.

Quote:
Also, is it normal that party members are of different level? My group is currently quite spread out, with the protagonist at level 22, Safiya at level 19, Gann at 18 and Kaelyn at 17. (Though perhaps the lagging of Gann and Kaelyn behind Safiya is caused by their races having level adjustments?)
I assume they put the companions at those levels because they didn't want them to be too overpowered if you choose to start the game at level 18. I have no idea what the PnP rules are for half celestials and hagspawn but I would think they would have to have level adjustments; seems like the only reasonable explanation to me.

Last edited by Balderdash; 10-03-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #110
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Looks like they've changed how all ray attacks work in the MotB expansion to allow you to land critical hits with them, and not just with weapons. Glad I wasn't hit by this Disintegrate, took care of that rather tough enemy pretty quick, in a single hit.

mt
Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #111
tk102

Critical hits with rays, huh?

I remember seeing quite a bit of whining for adding sneak attacks with rays over on the NWN2 forums. Arcane Tricksters for example would get a large benefit from being able to zing baddies from across the screen with a ray of enfeeblement, disintegrate, and polar ray. Even if the P&P allows for that, I think it makes little sense. Don't suppose you've seen that in MotB have you?

Critical hits on the other hand I could accept more easily. Nice zap, btw.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 AM   #112
Balderdash
Rookie

If you can get critical hits with arrows - I'm sure certain people would berate the devs for years if you couldn't - then there's no logical reason why it shouldn't be possible with rays. I guess that helps you with your warlock's eldritch blasts, as well, Stoffe. I always tend to keep a maximised disintegrate or two handy at high levels, to use on any targets with a low save, in order to put them out of the fight early, but I didn't manage any critical hits while playing. That would be... 480 magic damage.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #113
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
I remember seeing quite a bit of whining for adding sneak attacks with rays over on the NWN2 forums. Even if the P&P allows for that, I think it makes little sense. Don't suppose you've seen that in MotB have you?
There is no Sneak Attack with melee/ranged touch attacks as far as I can see, just critical hits. Though there are Weapon Focus and Improved Critical feats for melee and ranged touch attacks as well now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balderdash
I guess that helps you with your warlock's eldritch blasts, as well, Stoffe. I always tend to keep a maximised disintegrate or two handy at high levels, to use on any targets with a low save, in order to put them out of the fight early, but I didn't manage any critical hits while playing. That would be... 480 magic damage.
Since Safiya is Red Wizard specialized as Transmuter she gets a respectable bonus to Save DC of those, and since Disintegrate is one of the few offensive high level spells that are of the Transmutation school I've memorized a whole bunch of those with various metamagics applied. She's managed to breach the saves of enemies fairly frequently so far, though I can imagine it will be more difficult as the game progresses.

I've gotten a few critical hits with Warlock invocations as well, particularly useful with Eldritch Chain shaped blasts since those can hit multiple enemies at once while still doing touch attacks on them (unlike Cone and Doom). Though since you can't Empower/Maximize invocations as they aren't spells, and Eldritch Blast doesn't have quite the base damage of Disintegrate I haven't gotten any one hit kills from Eldritch Blast critical hits so far.

Though I suppose the Eldritch Master feat would count as permanent Empower for Eldritch Blast since it boosts the damage with 50%. If you forgo picking any other Epic Feats than that and Epic Eldritch Blast, focusing on damage output alone, even Eldritch Blasts can do fairly respectable damage (even though you miss out on a lot of other goodies in the process).

(14d6 + 7d6) * 1.5 = 189 dmg (378 crit) max, 94 dmg average (189 crit) at level 30.

Somewhat OK I guess for something you can use unlimited number of times per day, but since you can only do 1 attack/round it still comes way behind what a melee grunt, specialized archer or wizard can do against a single target. And most enemies seem to have plenty of health so far in the game, and I doubt that's going to change.

Good thing the game can be modded though. I've added another level with my own Epic lvl 5 invocations to the game that are a bit more fun to use against the overly powerful opponents in MotB.

mt

Last edited by stoffe; 10-04-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #114
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Gah... the difficulty curve in this game seems to be a bit uneven...
spoiler:

Being ambushed by 5-6 Ancient Vampires (each being level 28 with class levels in Monk while only the protagonist was Epic levels in my group) popping out of thin air in the lower level of the Death God's Vault was an unpleasant surprise. Killed my whole party in 1-2 rounds except for the protagonist and Okku. My casters couldn't have done much at any rate since their spells just bounced off their Monk spell resistance. (Good thing I was in the hallway and was able to toss up a few Wall of Perilous Flame in the doorway while they smacked down the rest of my group, and snipe at them with Vitriolic Blasts over that.)

Rather steep step up from just fighting some wraiths and a couple of Nightwalkers before that. And there wasn't even anything worthwhile behind that door.

The encounters through the other doors weren't much easier, with those Scythe-wielding Death Lords, Priest Mummies and the Lich King.

Overall Rashemen seems to be inhabited by rather tough folk, with level 20 city watch berserkers and epic level thugs. My own band of followers seem to be the weakest of the lot.

Also, a question about the start of Act II:
Does it matter in which order you visit Ashenwood, the Well and the Sunken City, or are they completely independent from each other?

mt

Last edited by stoffe; 10-05-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #115
tk102

Quote:
Good thing the game can be modded though. I've added another level with my own Epic lvl 5 invocations to the game that are a bit more fun to use against the overly powerful opponents in MotB.
Stoffe the automodder.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #116
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Also, a question about the start of Act II:
Does it matter in which order you visit Ashenwood, the Well and the Sunken City, or are they completely independent from each other?
No, it doesn't matter. It appears - I may be wrong - that one of them is entirely optional... and that's a fairly heavy chunk of content.

Anyway, I finally reached Act 3 and it seems the game is nearing its climax; I'll hopefully finish it today.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #117
Balderdash
Rookie

Act 3 only took me two or three hours, I think. The second is easily the longest of the three.

Pavlos:
spoiler:
Did you devour what was left of Myrkul's spirit in the Astral Plane? If so, please let us know if you find out what you're supposed to do with his special spirit essense! I haven't seen anyone mention it at the NWN2 board yet...

Old 10-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #118
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

@Balderdash:

spoiler:
Yeah, I used Eternal Rest on him; I suppose it's more than that wretched thing deserves. But you get a spirit essence? I got so wrapped up in the story after that point that I didn't even bother looking at my inventory . I have a save, though, so I'll go back and look.

Also (end of Act 3)

spoiler:
Any hints on defeating Akachi? I've been battling him inside my soul for about half an hour and with all my spells (epic or otherwise) burnt out I'm left with whacking him with the Sword of Gith... which doesn't seem to be that successful.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #119
Balderdash
Rookie

spoiler:
Well, when I fought him, Safiya died fairly quickly (I think you only get her in the endgame if you romance her, is she with you?). And, I ran out of spells before the end, too. But, you can use Devour Spirit again and again, so I shamelessly spammed that, instead. It actually seemed sort of fitting to devour the personification of the hunger itself, before it devoured me. Doesn't do a huge amount of damage to him, and he seemed to be healing himself while I was doing it, but it can serve to keep him at bay, for a time. Don't worry about your craving going up at this point. He'll try to do the same to you at times so it's definitely a good idea to top up your spirit meter if you can, anyway.

When I'd injured him enough I lured him away from Safiya, and used Bestow Life Force to revive her (I assume you got this feat, fairly easy to find but you do have to discover it), then used her remaining spells to finish him off. I guess it's not an easy fight to handle but it's quite manageable if him and his "friends" give you the chance to use all the tricks in your arsenal... have fun.

Oh, also, don't forget that the reforged Sword of Gith has a few special abilities attached to it again. I didn't really use them but they might be effective against him; I'm not sure. I preferred the shard ones in the OC, they looked cooler.

Last edited by Balderdash; 10-06-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #120
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Cheers

spoiler:
I haven't died yet and I've actually been doing exactly what you recommended I was just wondering if there was something special I was supposed to be doing seeing as how he's taking an age to go down.

Also: I threw this together in a couple of minutes to show off some of the new water features. It seems fairly easy to get a convincing looking waterfall set up. Hopefully it'll add some more diversity to exterior areas in mods .

Edit: I did it... finally...

spoiler:
I ended up burning through all the spirit essences I had in my inventory with the "mysterious device" item - it was the only thing that consistently took off 20-80 hitpoints.

Last edited by Pavlos; 10-07-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > [NWN2] Expansion Pack and Model Exporter announced!