lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The PS3 Slim: Worst Kept Gaming Secret?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
The PS3 Slim: Worst Kept Gaming Secret?

Its real this time.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015007p1.html

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Good that it happened since it means cheaper PS3... unfortunately, it also looks a lot cheaper too, but whatever.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
jrrtoken

It's nice, but I'm afraid it's far too late for Sony to attempt to save the PS3.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It looks a lot more appealing than the original PS3, but at roughly £255, it's still too expensive for me to consider buying one.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Ghost Down

I am so glad I got mine a few weeks ago. The new slim looks so cheap, It looks like a cheap Chinese replica.

I prefer the old shiny one with the Spiderman font logo.

Ghost Down is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Down View Post
I am so glad I got mine a few weeks ago. The new slim looks so cheap, It looks like a cheap Chinese replica.
I take great offense! XD

Quote:
I prefer the old shiny one with the Spiderman font logo.
If you only got it a few weeks ago you still should have waited, as starting tomorrow since the Slim is at a 299USD price point, they are dropping the price of the current models to match that. Though I do not know how much a savings that would be in the European countries.

Anyway, I am largely in favor of this announcement, new model and a price drop. I know a lot of people were on the fence waiting for this announcement so hopefully it will mean a lot of newcomers to the PS3 *points at Jeff*. Hopefully this will also mean lots more people to play LittleBIGPlanet with! The GOTY edition rolls out soon, coming with a bunch of DLC packed in and user-commissioned levels from 18 users. Also announced today but taking a back seat to the Slim and PSP announcements, LBP is getting ****ing WATER, gonna be epic.

Speaking of the PSP though, it's good to see Sony taking a more aggressive stance with their handheld system versus years past, where they basically said... "here it is, hack it." Today they announced "miniS" which is basically going to be like the Apple App store of the PSP. They also announced "Digital Reader" which is going to offer comics for download, with over 1,000 Marvel comics at launch, whenever that is. It's just nice to see that Sony is doing a lot to try and back up the release of the PSPgo with content. Speaking of which, in Europe, early adopters of the PSPgo will get a free digital copy of the new Gran Turismo PSP game, that's huge considering the market that exists for Gran Turismo in Europe. More exciting for me, Persona 3 is going to see a release for the PSP with a slew of new content.

All in all, I think today was a great day for Sony announcements.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Wasn't the PSP Go the worst kept secret? Sony is not good at keeping secrets.

But this is the first Sony announcement I have good things to say about in a long while. I was definitely hoping it would be announced today and I'll probably end up picking one up some time before the end of the year. For me the price cut was most important, but I'm liking the new model as well.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
I want to see if microsoft has anything good.

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
cire992

^ Heh, weren't there rumors a while back that Microsoft was scheming about trying to put together a handheld?

I don't like the look of the slim anymore or less than the regular PS3, all I know is I'm still trying to whip up the courage to drop big money for one. There are definitely games I want to play on the PS3, but even 300 bucks makes me second guess whether it's really worth it.

"My blasters are always set to stun, princess."
cire992 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-42 View Post
I want to see if microsoft has anything good.
Not sure if it's "official" yet, but they are stopping production of the Pro model and price cutting the Elite by $100 (but removing the HDMI cable from the deal). So this price cut was essential for Sony, otherwise they'd be stuck with their cheapest console at $400 and Microsoft not even have one that expensive.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire992 View Post
I don't like the look of the slim anymore or less than the regular PS3, all I know is I'm still trying to whip up the courage to drop big money for one. There are definitely games I want to play on the PS3, but even 300 bucks makes me second guess whether it's really worth it.
I would argue that what you get with a PS3 at $300 is a freaking steal. I could go on some long-winded rant about why, but I'm too lazy.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #12
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
^^^^
you see, if you had posted, you'd be both lazy and wrong.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 AM   #13
cire992

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick187 View Post
I would argue that what you get with a PS3 at $300 is a freaking steal. I could go on some long-winded rant about why, but I'm too lazy.
A PS3 for $300 is a 10 lb brick with a power cord and a controller. I have a handful of games on my to-do list to go with that. It makes my wallet hurt. And we use Sony test kits at work all the time, I'm well aware of what I'm getting and not getting for my money. I'd go into a rant about how you were going to go into a rant about PS3 being worth the money but I'm even lazier than you are. And so this thread remains free of the plague of the fanboy wars for... heck I don't know... at least another post or two.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
Ghost Down

Quote:
If you only got it a few weeks ago you still should have waited, as starting tomorrow since the Slim is at a 299USD price point, they are dropping the price of the current models to match that. Though I do not know how much a savings that would be in the European countries.
Would have saved me about 50 euros. (About 35-40 US dollars).

Last edited by Ghost Down; 08-19-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added US dollar comparison
Ghost Down is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Wasn't the PSP the worst kept secret? Sony is not good at keeping secrets.
Fixed.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
I'm officially jealous. It's small, and it has a 120 GB hard drive?

Wish there was a way to trade the old PS3 for the new.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
And so this thread remains free of the plague of the fanboy wars for... heck I don't know... at least another post or two.
I never implied that you don't get your money's worth with the other consoles. I was simply stating that at $300 USD you get your money's worth with the PS3. I fail to see how that exudes "fanboyism," but I digress, value is always perceived, so if you don't perceive it as worth your money, there's no point in trying to convince you otherwise.

Quote:
Would have saved me about 50 euros. (About 35-40 US dollars).
That's not too much of a big deal then I guess.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
All three consoles this generation are too expensive

Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #19
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
^Amen to that. I remember when they were ~$200.00US at launch.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #20
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
All three consoles this generation are too expensive
Aside from the fact that it hasn't had a price cut, I hardly think the Wii is overpriced, when you consider the fact that if Wii Sports was a normal retail game they'd charge $50 for it most likely. PS3 was far overpriced at launch though, and I believe 360 was $399 at launch which is a lot as well.

I don't see how anyone can say the PS3 is still too expensive though. Whether you are personally interested in it's exclusive titles or not, you can't deny that MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, and Uncharted have received widespread praise and are among this generations best efforts. At $400, I didn't think these few exclusives were worth it when I could already get all multiplatform games on 360, but especially if you don't already have a current-gen console (or the Wii) the PS3 is hardly overpriced.

God I hate it when I defend the PS3.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #21
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
you can't deny that MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, and Uncharted have received widespread praise and are among this generations best efforts.
You forgot Valkyria Chronicles, that game is the Okami of this "generation" of consoles, if you don't know what Okami is, then my point has been proven. Oh and nevermind the fact that Okami was ported to Wii, that little fact is not important.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #22
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ Jeff: Wii was overpriced at launch with or without Wii Sports. Especially down here in Australia.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:38 AM   #23
Jeff

Quote:
@ Jeff: Wii was overpriced at launch with or without Wii Sports. Especially down here in Australia.
I don't know how much it was in Australia, but no one can reasonably say it is overpriced in America when consoles last gen launched for more than the Wii costs.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #24
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ Jeff: Yeah, I guess the GCN and Wii were the same price at launch if you remove Wii Sports (GCN launced at 199USD, Wii launched at 249USD)... at least in the US. Was different in Australia though, Wii was overpriced and everyone knew it.

Also, games down here used to be overpriced for Wii, but now they lowered the price. As for 360 and PS3 games, I refuse to pay more than 100AUD for them.

As for the slim... meh @ no ps2... wish sony wouldn't keep doing that.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
cire992

Quote:
I was simply stating that
I hate that phrase. Promise to report me and have me banned if I ever type it into a post.

I don't recall older consoles being $300 but they definitely weren't inexpensive.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #26
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

^^^

The Saturn was $400 at launch, if that counts.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #27
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
As for the slim... meh @ no ps2... wish sony wouldn't keep doing that.
Word. Meh.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #28
Spadille
Rookie

Current Game: Saint's Row
Meh...
Spadille is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #29
cire992

^ This thing ain't backwards compatible? I mean, I know the ps2 hasn't been "retired" yet, but really now...
I'd say that's ridiculous but if I have to try (and possibly fail) to back up my statements, I may end doing something foolish like buying a PS3 or something.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 AM   #30
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
^ This thing ain't backwards compatible? I mean, I know the ps2 hasn't been "retired" yet, but really now...
I'd say that's ridiculous but if I have to try (and possibly fail) to back up my statements, I may end doing something foolish like buying a PS3 or something.
Nope, the last BC PS3 was the 80GB version that came with the MGS4 Bundle. There were rumors about PS2 compatibility being added back to the system via a firmware update, which stemmed from the discovery of a patent that Sony filed regarding the matter. However, so far for one reason or another PS2 compatibility has not been incorporated into the newer systems, nor has there been any hint of it being re-introduced anytime soon.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #31
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I want it now mav make Sony add it back now.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #32
cire992

I guess it's more of a convenience thing... but still. I want now.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > The PS3 Slim: Worst Kept Gaming Secret?