lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: How long should KotOR III be?
Short: Around 10 Hours 0 0%
Average: Somewhere between 20 and 30 hours 2 1.46%
Original KotOR: About 40 Hours 20 14.60%
Slightly Longer: Around 50 or 60 hours 31 22.63%
Humongous: 70-80 Hours or more, like Mass Effect 84 61.31%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Length of the Game
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-01-2007, 04:16 AM   #41
Phantasmgrl91
Rookie

as long as possible
Phantasmgrl91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #42
Mandalore252
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmgrl91
as long as possible
i second that since i pass too much time on PC, i don't wanna pass it in 2 or 3 days

Mandalore252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #43
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
70-80 HOURS HUMONGOUS GAME!
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #44
Darth_Calo
Rookie

I've heard countless arguements about the length...and what the story should be. Now,

I have an Idea.

With regards to the story, why not take the KOTOR I Storyline, modify it slightly (add a new star map that you missed before, maybe, or actually be able to Take over sith Acadamy - just something to make it better) and the KOTOR II storyline, tweak that also, (maybe add a Jedi Master you meet by accident, or an encounter with Revan?) and combine them. Two good 40 + hour games combined would form a decent 80 + hour game, with a familiar storyline.)

How would they do it?!, you ask?
After you play the "updated" KOTOR I storyline, simply have the Ebon Hawk enter Hyperspace at the end of the KOTOR I storyline, have "FIVE YEARS LATER..." appear on the screen, and show the damaged Ebon Hawk float towards Peragus. Of course, they could also add a new storyline, (maybe a Pre-KOTOR I story that you get to after completing the KOTOR II line - it could say "TEN YEARS LATER..."
(If they did it right, they could possibly get 120 + hours of solid game play, although 80 hours (of it) would be a refresher course)
So yeah...in summary: as long as possible, without becoming needlessly complicated.

(The "FIVE YEARS LATER..." thing is commonly used in movies/games to show a (relatively) long period of time has passed.)

In closing...
Sorry for taking so long/if I hijacked this thread I sincerely apologize

Proud of the Six One Seven.
We are Boston. We are strong. We will prevail.
Darth_Calo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #45
Kas'!m

Theoretically, if KOTOR III will going to come out (which it's not), I would want it to be take 70-80 hours long because it took me at most 25 hours on the other two. I don't see how it took some ppl 40+ hours
Kas'!m is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #46
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
It would be awesome if it was 80+ hours, but that is probably not gonna happen. Maybe 30-45 hours would be good. Also make it a good/great story!!!

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #47
Jediphile
Persona non grata

A plot longer than in the two previous games would drag on horribly, I fear. In fact, in both games, I was beginning to be a little annoyed with looking for all those starmaps/jedi masters. A long game is good only if the plot is constantly evolving.

KotOR games have so far pretty much followed the formula of doing an "intro planet" to set up the plot, then have four or five planets that must be completed according to the same basic principle before you can move on to the endgame.

If you prolong the middle game by simply adding more planets/starmaps/masters for me to complete/find, then I'll probably be so bored with the lack of plot evolvement that I just might stop playing.

That hasn't happened so far, but I can't say that I didn't reach the point where I began thinking "get the hunt for the maps/masters over with already, so that I can see what happens next". Because I play to see the plot evolve. I do not play for the doubtful joy of killing the baddies, collecting new gear, or wading through the graphics - those are all just icing on the cake, and if you take away the cake itself, what's left will make you sick...

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #48
darthcarth

Which is the main problem in Kotor and Kotor 2 if the plot wasnt around finding 4 four of one thing it could be expanded, but of course that is a whole other topic to it's self. I wouldnt mind playing a 80+ long hour game but replayibility might be a problem. Although as long as the first major area was more exciting then the other two games (i got realy realy bored going through peragus nad taris). It would also need to have alot of variation in plot depending on what actions you made as doing the same plot but each choice just having little effects on the entire plot get quite boring.

EmpireFTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
darthcarth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #49
Knight_OF_Light
Lurker

The longer the better, well as long as the Plot doesn't suffer a lot... they could just make it where they have enough side quest, etc. to last 80+hours...

I mean heck I've replayed Kotor about 7 times and TSL about 4 so... I would play it if it lasted 100+ hours but that's just me. lol

"One thing's for sure, we're all gonna be a lot thinner." - Han Solo-

"-Jolee Bindo-: "You know, you remind me of someone I used to know. Promising young man, great destiny. Breath like a bantha."
Revan: "Did you annoy this person endlessly, too?"

-Jolee Bindo-: "But from now on you can just think of me as any other non-Jedi in our little group - with a light saber. And Force powers"

-Bastila Shan-: "On which planet were you born?
Revan: Kashyyyk. I'm a Wookiee, can't you tell?"
Knight_OF_Light is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #50
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
I think I would like it to be around 50 hours.I dont think a game could enterest lots of people for anymore then that.
LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #51
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARTH_DANZIG
Ok, so I think it's pretty obvious what the jig is here.
I am all for more content. Yes it makes the game more valueable in replayability, yes it keeps an entertaining drive, and yes it can obviously be done. What that story amounts to, and how it is brought about should be the real drive behind the games conception I think.

Kotor, could do well to have as much playability as manageable. I believe this as I am a huge fan of epic games, and that is why Elder Scrolls 3, and four(second to three) are games I love, sponsoring as much as, get ready; 500+ hours of gameplay. Despite being subject to gameplay styles and methods.
With all the things we missed in K2 included, K3 is bound to be longer. Also, I think K2 replayability suffers badly from the missing content and makes me long for mods, and the very linearity isn't so very hot either.
So I'd say: more length, more content, more fun. And a TES-like editor might be fun, too.
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #52
SentinelRivers
Rookie

The longer the better but it's doubtful they'd be able to fill up every hour of the game with interesting content the bigger it gets. With a much longer playtime the boring parts will become more drawn it, which in turn will effect replayability.

Somewhere around the 40-50 hour mark would be decent.

I doubt they'd have the time nor the money to make the game 70+ hours.
SentinelRivers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #53
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
It took me a little over a week to beat Assassin's Creed. And I enjoyed every second of it, so I say at least 70 or more for K3.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #54
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I was more than satisfied with K1's length, so I'd go with that. I don't feel I'd want to play through 80 hours a second time, and replay value is another reason why KotOR n' TSL rule

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #55
rhotr
Lurker

If the story can carry 80 hours of gameplay.. Then YES!..

But do not comprisme with the story to make a long game.
rhotr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #56
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas'!m
I don't see how it took some ppl 40+ hours
Bastila is to blame.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2007, 12:33 AM   #57
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
A butt-load of planets is all I want, making the game looooong without messing up the story(maybe a bunch of planets just to mess around in???)
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #58
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhotr
If the story can carry 80 hours of gameplay.. Then YES!..

But do not comprisme with the story to make a long game.
Strong point by you.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #59
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Yep, story is the most important thing to me, and that must not be ruined because it becomes to lengthy and thus boring. Though I'd be very happy if more content wouldn't compromise the story. I'm also for more optional side-quests. Then you always get to choose.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #60
Darca Lar
Forumite

Yeah, as long as the game has a compelling story and remains as open-ended if not more, then by all means longer.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #61
DarthTanro
Lurker

I like them to a page out of the Final Fantasy Book. Average Story length with a good depth to the story and lots of side quests and such. I played the whole story on 7 in about two days because it was good but then I spent two weeks replaying the game and doing all the side missions.

Give me that. And some offical mod tools.
DarthTanro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 AM   #62
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTanro
I played the whole story on 7 in about two days
If K3 is that short, I'll wait till you get it as a giveaway in a packet of crisps. Size does matter.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 12-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #63
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Tear

And all this time the women in my life have been saying size dosen't matter.
:'(

Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #64
MJ-W4

^^ Ever heard of interrogation droids? Seriously, if a possible K3 only provides a run-trough rather than an elaborate walk-through, I won't consider buying it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #65
Darca Lar
Forumite

I'd buy it just to finish the story. That's what I'm gonna do with the Halo series. Once H3 drops in price, I'm gonna buy it.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:47 AM   #66
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darca Lar
I'd buy it just to finish the story.
Good point, I still hope I won't have to fish it out of a packet of SnV, though.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #67
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, I would say a variable length of something between 10 hours to 50 hours.

Basically that means if you want to rush thru the game during the replay doing only the key quest that progress the story, you can rush thru it in 10 hours. But if you were to do all the side quests, play a bit of cards and what not and take yoru time, it would take 40-50 hours to complete, excluding things like deliberate long hours at the pazaak bar.

Also, I would love to see pazaak accessable outside of the loaded game. Basically we should be able to just play the cards without logging into the story... its better than playing Hearts by lots.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #68
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Also, I would love to see pazaak accessable outside of the loaded game. Basically we should be able to just play the cards without logging into the story... its better than playing Hearts by lots.
They might just as well make pazaak into a small stand-alone, like a bonus feature. THAT would be nice.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:55 AM   #69
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

While K3 should NOT BE ONLINE, Pazaak should be. Online Pazaak with a cantina... so we can all play a few hands while enjoying a nice glass of Juma juice while fondling some Zeltron gogo girls...
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2007, 03:10 AM   #70
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Online Pazaak with a cantina...
Hopefully, the music won't be limited to Bith!

Old 12-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #71
Darca Lar
Forumite

It probably would...

Old 12-09-2007, 12:58 AM   #72
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darca Lar
It probably would...
That seems to call for a music-mod even before it's released.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #73
Darca Lar
Forumite

Sure, they can just take Through Fire and Flames from Dragonforce. I can see it now...

Old 12-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #74
Lordjedi
Forumite

I want a long game so 70-80 hours PS: K1 and K2 only took abouot 10 hours for me so I wouldn't think it would be 40 unless you finish all the quest's
Lordjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Length of the Game