lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Winner of Eurovision '07!!!!!!!!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
The Winner of Eurovision '07!!!!!!!!

I don't know how much into this are you, fellow forumites, or how informed of this European music competition are the people from America, but since I'm feeling pretty darn proud at this moment I thought we might all give a big Woot to the winner of this competition, a singer from Serbia (hence the pride I'm kinda feeling), a woman called Marija Serifovic!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
lolz Eurovision sucked this year, not one entry should be proud of themselves (except Finland), I think they're all an embarrassment to their country...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
igyman
Tension!

I dunno, I got the feeling that every country brought out the heavy artillery this year, but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Heavy artillery?
Were you watching the same show? It was mostly the same pathetic attempts you get every year, with an odd exception here and there which doesn't get any votes...(IE Finland and France this year)

Old 05-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
igyman
Tension!

By heavy artillery I mean pretty good live performance with very little to no off-key singing (well, there were exceptions tonight, but still...). By your posts I see that Finland was your biggest favorite and I do agree that their song was pretty good and definitely deserved more votes, but I also think Macedonia deserved more votes and so did Georgia. I can't understand though, how that Ukrainian guy got so many votes (no offense to the people of Ukraine, I just really didn't like that song). I also have to say that I didn't really expect my country to win, but now that it has I can't not feel a little proud.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

A lot of the voting is pointless though, you'll find that neighbouring countries almost always back each other up (like Ireland and the UK, who both had rubbish songs...), unless one song absolutely sticks out (like last year it was almost unanimous)

But I though this year was poopy

Old 05-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
igyman
Tension!

Yeah, I agree that there were a lot of votes that can be considered political, but then again there are enough objective votes out there to secure a different winner each year.
On the other hand there's another explanation (but probably less likely) for the neighbouring countries support of each other - they speak the same or similar language, they have a similar taste in music, etc.
What I honestly fear is that we'll embarrass ourselves next year when it's our turn to organize and host the competition.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

I don't really watch eurovision anymore. It's so politically inclined it's untrue.

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
To me, it seemed like all the ex-Soviet countries voted for each other.

I thought Serbia's song sucked.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Eurovision delayed Doctor Who. It should die.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 04:03 AM   #11
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Eurovision is music ? Um, sure

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 05:00 AM   #12
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Agreed.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 05:18 AM   #13
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Exactly. No wonder we did so poorly. It's just bad karma.

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC : THE JEDI MASTERS
PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Trex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #14
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

I think it'd save many soldiers lives if we just withdraw from Iraq and send Scooch instead.

Waking up.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #15
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
I didn't watchEurovision this year, but last year was awesome, all because of Finland's song, it was just so awesome.
Does anyone know how Croatia went?

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #16
ExiledFish
Rookie

I stopped watching after Serbia got over 200 points...

[Center] |*~|My Work|~*| *~|~* Star Wars: Darkness Of The Past *~|~* Atop The Rakata Temple *~|~*
ExiledFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #17
igyman
Tension!

Wow. I never expected people around here to be into Eurovision (hell, even I'm not that into it), but to come back a few hours later and step into a puddle of vomit was certainly far from my expectations of this thread.
This was supposed to be no different than all those ''Happy Birthday'' or ''Congrats for this and that'' threads and it turned into a ''spit all over it'' thread. I am very disappointed at the level of... well, respect all of you have for me, since you obviously didn't care if you'd insult me by insulting my country's song.
I agree that some people don't like the song and that's fine, but have you heard me say ''that song sucked, it was crap''? If I didn't like something, I said ''I didn't like it'' not ''it sucked''. There's a subtle difference in meaning and that's what I resent.
Yeah, I know that Eurovision is influenced by politics a lot today, but tell me that you wouldn't feel even a little proud if it was your country that won, regardless of the various influences that may exist. That's all this thread was supposed to be about, sharing my small amount of joy that my country won. Thanks for ruining it for me.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #18
ExiledFish
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman
I am very disappointed at the level of... well, respect all of you have for me
... I said nothing about the song so why say all of us. Dude seriously.

Everyone has there own opinion on things and if people think the song sucked its not a judgement on your or your country just the song I never got to here it so ill never no but seriously you need to cool down and chill...

[Center] |*~|My Work|~*| *~|~* Star Wars: Darkness Of The Past *~|~* Atop The Rakata Temple *~|~*
ExiledFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #19
igyman
Tension!

Like I said, this was supposed to be no different than all those ''Happy Birthday'' and ''Congratulations'' threads. This was not supposed to be a serious discussion about the credibility of the competition. If I wanted to start that, I would have started a thread in Kavar's Corner.
Again, like I said, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it's the way they expressed it that bothered me. What's wrong with saying ''I didn't like that song, but still congratulations''? Why do some people have to say ''it sucks'' without even a courteous ''congratulations''?
Imagine if someone starts a ''Congratulations for the job promotion Member X'' thread and then people come and post how this person's job sucks, or how the promotion is nothing special and offer no congrats. It would make that person feel pretty miserable.
I remember a thread on the Football cup winner, back when France won and when Zidane did his headbutt in the final game - everyone was obsessed with that event and with how it sucked that France won the cup. There was no ''Congratulations to France'' posts, or there were very few of them.

All I wanted from this thread was some courteous congratulations posts and I got none. It did made me regret of ever starting this thread, but it also made me see that an interesting topic about the credibility of Eurovision could be started in Kavar's Corner. Hmmmm...

@ExiledFish: I never spoke to you personally, but to people here in general, after seeing the general mood here. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edit: I have started a serious discussion about the credibility of Eurovision in Kavar's Corner. Here's the link.

Last edited by igyman; 05-13-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #20
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman
..... respect all of you have for me, since you obviously didn't care if you'd insult me by insulting my country's song.
oh please, it was a freakin pop song/ballad...not the serbian national anthem. If you are insulted by people saying the song/the contest sucks, then I'd venture to say you are being far too sensitive.

Turkiye(Turkey) won the EVSC in 2003. You didnt see me monkeying around here about it - think about who comes to these forums, and then wonder why you got the response you did.....

The Eurovision is rubbish(IMO!) 90% of entries are pop/ballad/dance songs that are sometimes so westernised they are in English The cultural diversity that is so beautiful, is severely diluted, and in many cases lost.

Now, the European Football Championsips..... theres a supremely better thing to watch involving European participants !! Go Turkiye in 2008 !!

btw - your location is no longer undisclosed is it !!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #21
MetalMark

It was really bad this year. Iceland was nice and Czech Republic was really good but beyond that they we're all pretty horrible.
MetalMark is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #22
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Igyman, it's Eurovision what did you expect seriously?

It's the same rubbish every year (with an odd exception here and there, namely Lordi), none of the countries' entries are any good...ever. It doesn't matter what country you're from dude...

I'm from Belgium, they always suck, I know that, they won back in the 80's once and everyone is still so hyped about it, wtf?

Same for Britain, where I am now, the entry this year absolutely blew, did you see me cry about it? I would still have said it sucked even if they had won...

Old 05-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #23
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astortoy7
If you are insulted by people saying the song/the contest sucks, then I'd venture to say you are being far too sensitive.
I'm a little more sensitive because this (regardless of my personal opinion of the whole contest, or yours) was interpreted here as a major success and I wanted to celebrate that success, even if it was on Eurovision.

I agree with what you said about the cultural diversity, that is truly the case with many countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astortoy7
btw - your location is no longer undisclosed is it !!
Heh, heh, it never was. It was a plot within a plot.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #24
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

I never saw Eurovision as that much of a big thing. The UK purposely sends appalling bands into it for some as of yet unexplained reason which is why 99% of the country does not take it seriously.

Waking up.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #25
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Congrats to Serbia!

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #26
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Current Game: SWOTR
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
I only just saw this thread... and wow... so many negative comments. Yes, I realise that not everyone likes the Eurovision contest, but puhleeze... what a way to rain on someone's parade, guys. -.-

So congratulations, Igyman! Your country won, and it's right that you should be proud of it. Good on Marija! And I hear that this is the first non-English song that has won the contest, too. Well done!

I didn't watch the entire Eurovision broadcast last night, but I did see some of it and saw the winning highlights on the news this morning. I agree that the voting does appear to be largely political these days (with everyone voting for their neighbours) but the fact is that Serbia won and they'll be hosting the contest for next year. So, good on them!

I will say that I thought the UK's entry was a bit 'cheesy' (especially their 70's style flight attendant costumes) but that didn't surprise me in the least. Maybe if they had had a strong singer like Marija, they would have placed a bit higher in the voting.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Old 05-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #27
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieZ
I never saw Eurovision as that much of a big thing. The UK purposely sends appalling bands into it for some as of yet unexplained reason which is why 99% of the country does not take it seriously.
The reason is that 99% of this country is full of numbwits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasraLantill
I will say that I thought the UK's entry was a bit 'cheesy' (especially their 70's style flight attendant costumes) but that didn't surprise me in the least. Maybe if they had had a strong singer like Marija, they would have placed a bit higher in the voting.
A bit?

I've seen American Cheeseburgers with less cheese going on than the UK entry this year, you can plain out say it: It sucked! lol

Maybe it's because the people who decided who goes to Eurovision are those tools at Blue Peter lol

Old 05-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #28
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Current Game: SWOTR
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
A bit?

I've seen American Cheeseburgers with less cheese going on than the UK entry this year, you can plain out say it: It sucked! lol
Hey, I was trying to be polite about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
Maybe it's because the people who decided who goes to Eurovision are those tools at Blue Peter lol
Hmm, maybe next year the UK can send the Blue Peter presenters and they can sing their theme song.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Old 05-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #29
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

lol I think Serbia has been through enough, no need to send that to them that's just cruel!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #30
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Ok, I'll represent that population of the Americans who have never heard of this. So this competition was something like American Idol meets World Cup except you have to actually write the song? Okay, well congratulations Serbia.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #31
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Ok, I'll represent that population of the Americans who have never heard of this. So this competition was something like American Idol meets World Cup except you have to actually write the song?
Wikipedia is your friend.

It's an annual event that's become something of a tradition over the years. Each country select a song (usually via national contest) written for the occasion, which is then competing against the songs of the other European countries in the international final. They used to be judged and voted on by juries in each of the countries, but that's handled by tele-voting instead now.

It's usually a pretty widely ridiculed event where the quality of the songs and artists are often questioned, though since the final often have hundreds of millions of viewers each year it's still going strong regardless, and some rather famous groups caught the public eye by participating (ABBA for example)

The songs are usually schlager, pop or ballads, but lately there have been some more rock-oriented songs competing. Most notable last year's winners, the Finnish monster metal group Lordi with the song "Hard Rock Hallelujah".

This year a more traditional ballad won the show though, as mentioned.

Last edited by stoffe; 05-14-2007 at 01:00 PM.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #32
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
That's what I gathered. It's surprised me to read how long this had been running. I guess American apathy is high, or Eurovision isn't globally influential, or both. (Or I'm just ill-informed... good possibility there too...)
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #33
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Maybe it's due to the fact that America is not in Europe?

Congrats Serbia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #34
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
The songs are usually schlager, pop or ballads, but lately there have been some more rock-oriented songs competing. Most notable last year's winners, the Finnish monster metal group Lordi with the song "Hard Rock Hallelujah".

This year a more traditional ballad won the show though, as mentioned.
Lordi was pwnage, me and my fiancée even made a Finnish flag before the competition started, and for once the best act won...

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > The Winner of Eurovision '07!!!!!!!!