lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: World in Conflict
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Wink World in Conflict

World in Conflict by Massive Entertainment is an RTT where you control either US or Soviet forces fighting over control of the US mainland. It'll have no resource gathering or base-building, just fighting using the terrain to your advantage. It also boasts that you'll be able to destroy every terrain feature, but apparently not the terrain itself.

Anyone else anxious for this release? Personally, since I loved Ground Control and was disappointed by its sequel, Ground Control II, I don't quite know what to expect, but I have to admit I'm fairly sceptical. I feel one of the things Massive did wrong when they made the sequel was to implement a Force Commander-style system of reinforcements paid for by points gained on the battlefield. The original Ground Control was like Sudden Strike, or for that matter chess, where you have a starting army and then had to use it the best you could, with nearly no reinforcements on hand. In Ground Control II, killing enemies and holding certain zones gave you points to spend on reinforcements, which drastically reduced the experience for me.

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 05-20-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
True_Avery
Banned

Now that is a nice piece of eye candy. Wonder how it will play.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Agreed, those graphics look haute. The second screenie is the best, IMO.

When will the Cold War paranoia wear off, me wonders.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

The original GC was downright fantastic tactically, with real line of sight (you could place infantry in defilade on cliffs, hide them in holes, etc. and they wouldn't be seen), shadows and vegetation hiding troops, units high up having an advantage, units moving slower when under fire, flanking and attacking from behind actually making a difference, deployable weapons and equipment, limited number of special abilities, customizable units and armies... I could go on and on.

The way the 'customizable units and armies' worked was that you were given drop ships, which would each be filled with units, made up of squads. Each squad was either Infantry, Armor, Artillery, or Aerodyne (planes), and each was further broken down into unit types. So in effect, an Artillery squad meant you either could bring down anti-air artillery, long-range artillery, or rocket artillery. An Infantry squad was either normal infantry or special forces (stealthy units for Crayven and 'Torpedo infantry' with rockets for the Order). Furthermore, you could tell each squad to be Offensive, Defensive, Recon, or Balanced, which had noticeable effect on their armour, speed, firepower, and view range. And finally, each one of them could be given a special weapon and ability, many of which varied from unit to units.

So for example, if you were given an Armour squad, you could choose to deploy scout hover bikes, which could be equipped with three Repair Kits, each of which instantly recharged most of their hit points. Or they could be given a load-out of heavy land mines, which were lethal to just about anything. Or you could give them three shots of temporarily enhanced view range.

In short, lots of customization, which in turn meant lots of possible tactics for each mission. Do you want Heavy Terradynes to help fend off the enemy attack, or is it a better idea to sacrifice their firepower for the mine-laying ability of the Scout Terradyne, or the Light Terradyne's ability to deploy rocket launchers? And after all, both units can be armed with a limited number of one-hit-one-kill anti-armour weapons. And so on. And as a side note - every squad stayed with you, mission after mission, until destroyed, whether or not you used it, so while all losses were replaced between missions, keeping troops alive was highly recommended. It also enhanced re-playability: after completing the game, I found myself playing it again, only this time I re-started missions dozens off times until I found out how to complete each one without a single casualty (yes, more than possible).

Unfortunately, Ground Control II utterly and totally scrapped this wonderful system (yes, I think alcohol was involved) and substituted it with one more remniscent of Force Commander's. In addition, each mission was unconnected to the previous one in that you got a new set of units for each mission. Can you believe them?

GC on Wikipedia.

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 05-20-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I've kept an eye out for WiC, but I've never been quite sure how I'll like it. I really hope they release a demo.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

War has never looked so lovely.

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
Davinq
I wear a fez now

Current Game: Portal
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieZ
War has never looked so lovely.
QFE, and agreed. Those have got to be the most beautiful war game screenies I have ever seen. *saved*

And by the way DE is doting on the series, I just might have to get this.

Davinq is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
I've kept an eye out for WiC, but I've never been quite sure how I'll like it. I really hope they release a demo.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

I'm not too big into war games, but this looks very nice. I just might have to try this out once it's released.
Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Those F-15s look quite cool, which reminds me I need to pick up an Ace Combat game for the PS2 I used to love that ****!!!

I liked WarRock for that, except that the controls were horrible so I just gave up on it lol

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Jediphile
Persona non grata

This game looks amazing. The in-game graphics are simply to die for. Unfortunately so, it would appear, is the requirements on the system. I know that Massive Entertainment (the devs) worked with nVidia to ensure the graphics were pushed to the limit, which seems to me to suggest that you need a very high-end nVidia graphics card to ensure maximum results, and probably a pretty nifty cpu as well. If you have those, however, it promises to be a rollercoaster ride.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2007, 04:54 AM   #12
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

I just downloaded the original Ground Control yesterday, and I'm working on a movie clip of my completing one of the Crayven missions. The mission shows off special weapons and equipment, as well as some things like using shadow to hide troops. It's not really that intense, unlike MP skirmishes, but it's an interesting watch. Only problem is it's 6 minutes+ long, so YouTube will probably not accept it.

And yes, I'm worried about the system requirements, too. It's not only graphics and effects, but also view distance, map size, and objects that can be destroyed.

I'll need, to say the least, a few upgrades to play this thing, I'm sure.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:49 AM   #13
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

[Drools]

This'll be so great.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

You should check out the stuff GameTrailers has. You download all the videos to your harddrive, and you have the option of HD.

[/pimping other website]

I'm still waiting for a demo before I make a final decision about the game.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Damned GC won't work right on my computer. Changing compatibility settings to Win 95 fixes the movies, but I still can't configure squads before missions.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #16
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

DE if you like RTT and Close Combat series. I highly suggest that you check out Theatre of War by 1C and published by Battlefront.

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/demo.html

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #17
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Think I've tried it. Didn't really get into it, but I'm sure that if I try it again I'll figure it out and enjoy it. I'm not easily deterred by complicated games.

Sudden Strike was big fun, too [fond memories of Katyusha batteries mowing down German defenders]. Pity I can't find my game disc.

By the way, I heard someone mention that there's an FPS mode in the game, meaning that you can choose to control a single unit directly. Is this true?

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 05-27-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

No, from what I understand from the videos at GameTrailers. It's just a FPS viewing mode. Meaning use WASD and the mouse to move and look around. So you can enjoy the carnage up close.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #19
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Sudden Strike was big fun, too [fond memories of Katyusha batteries mowing down German defenders]. Pity I can't find my game disc.

Ah yes. That was one of the most beautiful sights in my gaming experience.

This game looks alright, although I fear that my computer can't handle that much graphical requirements. Sad

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Cool Guy

Not to mention sending in batches of five bombers each and having them decimate a huge area. Pure joy.

And in GC you've got Artillery Terradynes, Bomber Aerodynes, and Jaeger Infantry Demolition Charges.

Nothing beats surgically taking out all of a base's AA for then to wipe it out with bombers. Or to sneak those pesky little Jaegers into the enemy's compound, pull them out, and detonate those little charges, sending the enemy base to Hell.

And, of course, the Artillery takes your breath away the first time. Range, fire-power, visual effect... vastly overpowered units never were so much fun.

There's so much fun to be had in that game it's a joke. I once re-played a mission so that I knew where a large force of enemy units would be inserted by Drop Ship. So I included several land mine-carrying squads of Scout Bikes in my force and mined the drop zone. Hilarity.

Of course, there are also short-comings (too poor AI for an RTT, poor path-finding, no time compression, and so on), but all in all, it's a splendid game.

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 05-27-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #21
Ghost Down

DirectX 10 anyone?

- Ghost Down

Ghost Down is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #22
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Wink 'Mission update: Your unit has disembarked. Recommendation: Proceed to objective.'

The Ground Control movie that I promised you:
Iron Shield
—Crayven 7/15
It's not such an advanced mission, just a short, early-game skirmish with two Marine Squads, two Light Terradynes, and the trusty Command APC. Basic special weapons and equipment are employed to fend off a 'Dawnie' strike on White Asem, a desert-based research facility close to a hidden enemy-held 'Xenofact' excavation site.

It's not one of the huge maps with large 12-squad armies of the late-game, but it gives you a taste of what the game is like.
What's amazing is that it'll apparently be the first Ground Control movie to hit YouTube. There appear to be litterally none in there. No trailers, no short stubs from the developers, none from the gamers, nothing. I'm thinking of making a 'fan trailer' myself, just for old times' sake and to commemorate World in Conflict, but I don't know if I'll get around to it.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 06-02-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #23
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Im also have the closed beta, its really fun. I prefer the Support role, arty the enemy across the map
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #24
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

For the ultimate WiC MP experience, I demand a WiC-to-Ground Control total conversion! I want to see Bomber Aerodynes drop nukes on Order Hoverdynes in the polar wastes of Krig 7B - with the WiC graphic engine! Get to work, modders!

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 06-07-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

I also scored a closed beta key. It seems... interesting.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #26
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Eh, I just realized that the NDA of the closed beta says I'm not allowed to say I own it, which I don't, nor that there is one, which there isn't, nor what the feel of the game is, which of course if I knew I wouldn't be able to tell you. Not that I know that the NDA agreement says this, of course, 'cause I haven't read it because it and the closed beta do not exist [runs].

Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #27
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Thumbs up

NDA lifted. My impressions of the closed beta, nicked straight from my post at a Norse site:
Good:
  • The graphics are simply amazing. The best parts are undoubtedly the long view distance and the developers' attention to detail, which results in mailboxes, chairs and tables outside of cafes, etc. Some double as easter-eggs, such as the 'This sign has sharp edges' sign. When you play the game, though, you have to keep your camera high over the ground to maintain an overview, so spending a few rounds as a spectator is highly recommended - not to mention saving matches so that they can be replayed.
  • You hear the soldiers communicate when your camera is near them.
  • While most RTS and RTT games, including World in Conflict's predecessor Ground Control II, have huge UIs that take up 1/4 of the screen, WiC returns to the style of the original Ground Control: The UI is small and leaves most of the screen free, particularly on higher resolution. My only problem is that the mega-map, a large version of the map brought up by hitting the 'M' key, is full-screen, unlike in GC.
  • Heavy weapons create 3D craters in the ground. Craters affect line-of-sight and of course line-of-fire, meaning that you can use them as 'fire holes' for infantry.
  • The game has a dark, sad atmosphere. The main theme is melancholic, and while I haven't gotten my hands on any SP action yet, the 'Looking for survivors ' trailer seems to strengthen my impression that this game is going to follow the 'war is Hell'-theme, rather than glorifying conflicts the way games such as Command&Conquer do. Good job, if you ask me.
  • The game gives each player a certain number of points with which units can be purchased, and when you lose the purchased units, you get the points back over time as a slow trickle. When you destroy units, you get Tactical Aid points to buy special aids with, not reinforcement points. This means you've got a good RTT system that makes base-building and resource-gathering obsolete, while avoiding the trap Force Commander fell into where you grow more and more powerful the more you kill enemies, while your victims are unable to recover and turn the tide.
Bad:
  • The game suffers from the same problem as most FPS games: A significant number of people picks the easiest class without contributing. In WiC, this'd be the Air and Support classes, while the game requires you to have a team made up of a majority of what I call 'front-line ground units': Infantry and Armour classes. The Support class only has a repair tank, AA, and artillery, and the Air class can't capture points. Furthermore, there's next to no co-ordination or team-work, just like in FPS games' public servers.
  • What I said earlier about control zones and so on in single-player.
  • I feel players use Tactical Aids too frequently, and that they therefore should be made more costly. Not to mention that a-bombs appear repeatedly in every game, rather than being something you see rarely, this because players pool their Tactical Aids together to easily afford it. My suggested solution is to impose a 25% 'fee' on TA points so that every fourth point donated to another player is lost.
  • It's impossible to target infantry within buildings. The only way to kill them is to destroy the building completely.
Some of my screenshots:

The aftermath of a American-Russian encounter. The bunker in the background is part of
a fortification that's gradually built when you put units in victory zones.

A nuclear bomb going off a tad bit too close to two gunships.

Cameras and post-nuke radiation don't go well together.

Napalm is deadly to us infantry players. It kills our footmen, keeps burning on the ground
blocking our paths, and burns down forests, which we need for hiding places.

Out for a swim (reminds me of BF2, this part ).
Overall, it's a splendid game, which will be made even better with the first realism mod.

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 06-22-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #28
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Did I mention that the Collector's Edition features a pebble/small stone from the Berlin Wall?

Oh, and sign-ups for the open beta have started! Go grab a key if you're an Europe resident!

Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #29
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

I've been playing the Open Beta since Friday night, and it's pretty fun. It's essentially "Battlefield 1991" but instead of FPS, it's an RTS.

The only thing really setting me off from enjoying the game are the freaking helicopters.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #30
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

I was ranked nr 30 some days ago, but haven't play since then, when i checked today i was like 500 or something^^
Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #31
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Watch this video, and go to 1:30. Apparently it's the Few Player Mode, where you've only got 2-4 people total but each player has access to all units and a ton of reinforcement points. It was in the closed beta, but I never got to try it. Look at the army that guy has!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #32
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

1v1 sucked, played it in the closed beta. The only fun thing was to mass the same troop then set hold fire, go to the same place and allow them to shoot. But the normal game to capture cp was really boring with 1v1
Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #33
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

...And the demo is OUT! And it's got some splendid artwork! Go get it!

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 08-24-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 AM   #34
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
dude!!! that demo was awesome!!!

for once, i am very, very impressed with a demo that the guys released. i really like the way they handled the support (artillery, air strikes, etc) vs the average RTS. the graphical detail was impressive, but it didn't run at a really great FPS on my system with a 24FPS average with the included benchmark although that's not a really big issue with an RTS. as i have a DX10 ready system, i tested the same benchmark to gauge performance with DX10 vs DX9, and the performance impact of using DX10 is minimal. using DX10 does have a noticeable impact on the character models, but otherwise, i didn't notice any difference graphically between DX9 and DX10.

a really great touch was to enable duel-monitors as you can use a second monitor to display the full strategy map. i wasn't able to use this feature, however, as it bogged the framerate down into the teens even without a lot of action on the screen. it would be a nice feature if i would go for a second card in SLI, but otherwise, its just not feasible considering the drop in FPS.

there were a lot of other nice little touches about that demo that impressed me, but i'm not going to bother naming all of them. in short, the game does add a bit of innovation to the RTS genre, and its fun to play. if the final version is as good as the demo, then i think i just found my next RTS fix till the Medieval II expansion hits the market.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > World in Conflict