lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: RPG dialog writers interview (including the lead writer on VtM: Bloodlines)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
dowon
Rookie

RPG dialog writers interview (including the lead writer on VtM: Bloodlines)

http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=148

Quote:
1. Since we have several developers here, please introduce yourself and give us an overview of your dialogue-related work: games, memorable characters you were responsible for, and anything else you feel is relevant.

I’m Brian Mitsoda, probably the least known of the bunch because I have never had a biopic optioned about me (for good reason). I’m currently the Creative Lead (or “Head Writing and Stuff Related to Writing Guy”) on Obsidian’s Project Georgia, which is being published by Sega and that’s all I can say about that right now. I’ve worked on many, many canceled games and a game called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which dozens of people around the world have played. Some of the questionably memorable characters I’ve created over my 6+ years in the industry include Jeanette and Therese Voerman, Prince Sebastian LaCroix, the Friggin’ Chicken commercial guy and apparently, a stop sign.

My name is J.E. Sawyer and I wrote some of the dialogue for Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale 2, and Neverwinter Nights 2. Probably the only memorable character I've written is Maralie Fiddlebender in Icewind Dale 2 (in-game and chapter breaks), and probably the best writing there.

David Gaider. I’ve worked for Bioware now for about eight years, with most of my work being dialogue-related. The projects I’ve had a major hand in include:
• “Baldur’s Gate 2” (my major contributions being much of Athkatla, the Drow city in the Underdark, and three of the four romances – Aerie, Viconia and Anomen, as well as other party members)
• “Throne of Bhaal” (my first time as Lead Writer)
• “Knights of the Old Republic” (my contributions being Korriban and some of the major characters – Carth, HK-47, Jolee Bindo and Bastila’s romance)
• “Neverwinter Nights” (to a lesser degree, my work is mostly in Chapter 2)
• “Shadows of Undrentide” (much of Chapter 1, including Deekin)
• “Hordes of the Underdark” (the critical path was mine, and I wrote both Deekin and Valen)

Last edited by dowon; 05-20-2007 at 09:21 PM.
dowon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
True_Avery
Banned

Hahaha, he wrote the VTM: Bloodlines stuff? Brilliant.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I need to email Gaider and ask him some Jolee stuff.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
I should send them an autographed copy of DLGEditor for all their hard work.

Vault Dweller at rpgcodex.com has my respect for getting this sweet interview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gaider
The last thing that a player wants, I think (and I’ve learned this over time) is characters that whine, complain or are critical of the player in any way and characters that exist solely to talk about themselves. I think we’re past that point, now.
Can anyone name a KotOR character that might have evoked this reaction?
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
and apparently, a stop sign
"Stop. NO you stop!!"

Funniest stop sign ever
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
The last thing that a player wants, I think (and I’ve learned this over time) is characters that whine, complain or are critical of the player in any way and characters that exist solely to talk about themselves. I think we’re past that point, now.
Well, that sort of condmens the two Grey Jedi...(Kreia and Mr. Jolee Bindo), and HK-47, all of whom happens to be very good characters. Actually, doesn't most of the characters in the KOTOR series talk about themselves far too much?

I'd disagree. Characters that exist solely to talk about themselves and complain are very good...as long as they do so funnily and then present information concering the plot. And, killing them at the end also goes and ease the pain of said characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > RPG dialog writers interview (including the lead writer on VtM: Bloodlines)