lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Do you think the world will end in 2012?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Fredi
El Guapo

Do you think the world will end in 2012?

Well people I have always have the dough the there will be a end ... I mean I know there will be a end but I don’t think it will be soon.

The Mayas thought that the world will end in 2012, some revelations of Nostradamus says that this are sings of the end of the world and other cultures believe too that the world will end in 2012 .... But a friend of mine said to me ... "I don’t think the world will end in 2012 but I think the Christianity will end to that time" ... weird but well....

Tell me what you think. (I will say what I think after a few posts)

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Nostradamus predicted that Christianity will end in 2016...

Well, if KOTOR 3 hasn't been released until then, then the world will not end, but if it has...oh well, I had a nice life

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
John Galt

No, it won't.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Fredi
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe 2.0
Nostradamus predicted that Christianity will end in 2016...
Oops my bad .... But it said that we are in the end's

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Old 06-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
I've heard that the Mayan calendar 2012 doesn't actually refer to the world ending, but perhaps a new type of cycle beginning. Problem w/Nostradamus is that you can interpret him a zillion different ways, but ALWAYS w/some kind of 20/20 hindsight. The world will end when it does, civilization is another matter entirely.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Fredi
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
I've heard that the Mayan calendar 2012 doesn't actually refer to the world ending, but perhaps a new type of cycle beginning
It is not known but the calendar dose finish in 21(I think) 2012.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Uhhh no it won't. Maybe if a modern scientist with proof when the world will end says so, then I might trust that. But Mayas? How the hell did they figure it out? Do they have expensive computer systems and research labs and **** like that?
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Fredi
El Guapo

Well.... It said that this acient civilizations haved contact with Alians and UFO stuff....
But that realy is something very very strange

Old 06-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
With the Mayan bit it means of an age. This was done because what we call the Classic Maya had this nice thing called the long count. It goes by days and with it, archaeologists have actually been able to figure out which rulers were born when. The end of the age thing also comes from an ancient Mesoamerican concept called the calendar round. They had a 365 day solar calendar and a 280 day lunar/ceremonial calendar. The two are put together like cogs and say starts at 1 Reed on the day of the reed. A complete round is 52 years. The last few days of the 52 years are extremely touchy for if noting is done right then the world ends. It just illustrates the cyclical nature in life.

As to the acual end in the world, I maintain the Christian version where first Israel shall enjoy an uneasy peace and then she will be attacked from the north by the allies of Persia, Libya and Ethiopia also those from the land of Gog. Israel will not be harmed. Then of course Tribulation after the Rapture. The Antichrist will come and shall reign with the help of the Beast. He will be charismatic and persuade the people to follow him and one day he will sit upon his throne and declare himself a god. I could go into more but that would be spoiling the whole thing. Just read Revelation and Tribulation is all laid out.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Dude, Nostradamus was a GANJA MASTER, so I don't believe him too muach

Old 06-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #11
Corinthian
Banned

Nostradamus is full of crap. Only his vaguest 'prophecies' have been correct. Hister? Bah.

As for the 2012 Mayan Calendar, well, what the hell did the Mayans know, anyway? I find it much more likely they just didn't care about something that far in the future.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
GarfieldJL
Banned

The only way the world will end in 2012 is if too many wackos are in office believe that and make it a self-fullfilling prophecy.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2007, 06:47 AM   #13
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
It probably won't, but it would be nice if it happened.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
Samuel Dravis

No, it won't end. There's been lots of people claiming it would end at X date for a long time now. No one has been right so far, and as far as I can tell the claims you mention aren't any different evidence-wise.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #15
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Nostradamus was supposed to have said that the world would end in 2001. Newton predicted that the world would end in 2060 by mucking about with adding up all the letters in the New Testament and dividing by the number of Apostles and all that bull.

The world will end when it ends.

As for civilisation? That ended with the reign of Ramses IXth.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #16
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
How is "the world will end" to be defined?

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #17
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
No. Nostradamus was an idiot and the Mayans had no idea of knowing this. It's far more creepy that 44% of Americans think the world will end in less than half a century.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #18
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
I'm thinking giant Marshmallow man J/K

Probably along the lines of the Sun dying or something.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #19
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.

It better not. I have too many things to do.

That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #20
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Quote:
A worthwhile question. Would it refer merely to the end of humankind, the destruction of the Earth, or the end of the universe? Or some other definition?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #21
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
No, it won't end. There's been lots of people claiming it would end at X date for a long time now. No one has been right so far, and as far as I can tell the claims you mention aren't any different evidence-wise.
You heard it from me first:

The world will end in 5,000,000,2007 CE. The world will burn to a crisp as the Sun gets hungry and eats it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #22
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
As for the 2012 Mayan Calendar, well, what the hell did the Mayans know, anyway? I find it much more likely they just didn't care about something that far in the future.
They knew plenty. Within the New World, they were the only group to have the comprehension of zero, the absence of value. I wouldn't gip these ancient peoples. A lot of the things that we have in this world because of them are lost techniques. My favorite are the huge basalt Olmec heads that were obtained 80 miles away down a river and through jungle.

Quote:
As I said, the world will under go a great Tribulation, a series of judgments as a final attempt to bring the stragglers to God. It is a series of 21 Judgments, the Seal, the Trumpet and the Vial with the last being the worst. The first 14 are called the Wrath of the Lamb whereas the Vial Judgments are called the Wrath of God. It's all in Revelation after John is instructed to write a letter to each of the seven churches.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #23
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Sorry to not share your religious sense, although what JM12 mentioned sounds interesting, but I believe the world will end due to our actions, we are going to screw up so bad one day that the whole world will die because of it.

As for prophecies, I think the persons that say and write them do not know the future, but are trying to influece it by giving a person an idea, because it only takes ONE person to change the world.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #24
Corinthian
Banned

I'm not saying the Mayans were stupid, but why on earth would they know when the world ends?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #25
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Corinthian: Again it comes from the cyclical nature of things in their belief system. Part of it I believe is also related to the environment. The Basin of Mexico is ringed by volcanoes and when those babies erupt, you get the earthquakes and the fire from the sky. Aztecan belief is that this fifth Age, the Age of balance and harmony with end in which the earth will be consumed by earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and then there will be silence. The actual account is very similar to other stories in particular Revelation. Of course that was because I was doing mythological comparison.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #26
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
No. Nostradamus was an idiot and the Mayans had no idea of knowing this. It's far more creepy that 44% of Americans think the world will end in less than half a century.
Where do you get that figure from, anyway? I suspect that in a nation of 300 million +/-, it's probably quite high. More likely to reflect a pessimism about the possibility of an NBC war ending the world "as we know it" in our lifetimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix
I'm thinking giant Marshmallow man J/K
Man, I'd better get busy setting up that Stay Puff franchise in Pyongynag, I think that KJI would love that idea. Better not tell him about Dr. Venkman, though....

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #27
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
No. Nostradamus was an idiot and the Mayans had no idea of knowing this.
Do you know, you're much older than you look...

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #28
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padawan
Do you think the world will end in 2012?
No.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #29
True_Avery
Banned

A girl I used to know still owes my $5 for our bet.

She bet the world would end on 6/6/06.
I bet that it wouldn't.

Guess who won?
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #30
Fredi
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
No.
Wow.... that was a straight answer

Old 06-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #31
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Quote:

I bet that it wouldn't.

Guess who won?
An exceedingly silly bet. For her to win, she would have to be right about the world ending, which'd mean that the $5 would be obsolete (unless she re-phrased the bet to 'the world will begin to end...' - if nuclear war was breaking out she might need all the resources she could get her hands on). At most, she stood to gain nothing. At worst, she would lose $5.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:29 AM   #32
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Yeah, taking such a bet should be a no-brainer though. If you lose, you pay nothing and if you win....you get "free" $$ (unless your pal's a welsher, no offense to the Welsh amongst us ).

Old 06-30-2007, 06:02 AM   #33
Simon92
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery

I bet that it wouldn't.

Guess who won?
Uhh...The little girl?

Anyway, the world [or most of it] will more likely succum to Global Warming than asplode because of some Mayans. And who the hell was Nostradamus? Wasn't there a Hunchback from somewhere like that?

Seriously...The world will not end in 2012. It's more likely that the sun blew up now and the end will come in 8 Minutes.

Click Above for SWL's KOTOR Mods
Simon92 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2007, 06:12 AM   #34
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery

I bet that it wouldn't.

Guess who won?
Dude I would love to take some bets like that. I mean, you never have to pay out if the world ends.

Personally I don't think the world would end anytime soon unfortunately. So anyone yelling "world's ending" should understand that.

The worse possable case of a comet hit can be spotted years away. And I don't think we will see any DeathStar orbiting the planet within the next few years.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #35
Phantom Knight
BAANAAANAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Current Game: Mass Effect
Hot Topic Starter 
eh, I wouldn't believe in this "end of the world in 2012" crap. I mean, take a look at the Y2K theory, for example. Did our computers and Electricity ever shut down? I take it you all know the answer to that question.

But based on Scientific Research, Study and facts, it is estimated that the world will end in about five million years time (or was it billion? eh...) because the Sun will eventually turn into a Red Dwarf or something and kill the Earth with it's harsh radiation.
Phantom Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #36
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air

Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
No it won't end, there were people claiming the world would end in the year 2000, and look we're 7 years in, if it ends it will be way nearer to the year 3000, not even that, but w/e

Last edited by Master Zionosis; 06-30-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #37
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Truth of the matter is that the world will end on its own time. A friend of mine, Carlos, takes each day and lives it to the fullest. Needless to say we think alike on that account but I also like to make each day meaningful. Maybe that is the way to go.

Mama Jae: Nice answer

Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #38
Corinthian
Banned

The only perspective that supports this is the theory of Alien visitors. From any other perspective, you can tell the Earth will NOT end in 2012. We haven't had the first two years of Tribulation, the sun isn't even close to nova, the only way I can think of would be nuclear war.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #39
Darth Smaug
Veteran

The world won't end at 2012.

I'm floating, and something's reaching out.
Darth Smaug is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #40
Fredi
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
the only way I can think of would be nuclear war.
Global Warming or an asteroid too.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Do you think the world will end in 2012?