lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Doctor Who!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #201
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

I think the Siliurian duo suffers a lot from being a Siliurian duo. There was no need to bring those things back. I'd have much rather they spent the money on something else: something new and original.

I bought a few Big Finish audioplays the other day. I'm going to spend some time listening to them.

I've only seen bits and fragments of Torchwood, but Zaarin says PJ Hammond's episodes are pretty good. I saw a bit of his fairies episode. It fits into Moffat's idea of Doctor Who. I want to finish it.

The thing about Torchwood is that it makes me actually wish for a science-fiction show for adults. Actual *adults*. Not something overly serious or epic, but a real, asks-the-hard-questions show, with due subtlety, ideas, characters, plots. The Wire as hard sci-fi. Even if it's just an animated series, I'd love to see it happen.
Kroms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #202
AlfredJ
Rookie

Just wanted to show you guys this awesome mix of Doctor Who and Double Fine's new game:

You're welcome.

Edit: Oh, and the Christmas special was pretty great, even if I'm getting a little bit tired of some of Moffat's tricks. But his stories are still great, and I'm very glad he took over from RTD. Part of me wanted him to write that Dirk Gently pilot that aired a week or so ago. Oh, and that trailer at the end looked delicious. Can't wait to see what Gaiman did with his episode.

Last edited by AlfredJ; 12-29-2010 at 12:45 PM.
AlfredJ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #203
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

This is pretty cool!

And yeah, agree about Moffat's tricks. A lot of Series 5 was re-using ideas from his older episodes, but the only time I thought, "I saw this before!" in Christmas Carol was when he was talking through a projector ala "Blink". I still think he's doing a great job of re-dressing ideas and casting them in new stories, though.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #204
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

So...new series. What did everyone think of the first episode?

(Minor request? Anything that hasn't already aired in episodes - anything you see in trailers and whatnot - please put in spoiler tags? I avoid trailers for a reason! )
Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #205
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

It'll be hard to really be sure until the second one comes out and it's tied together. Although, I get the feeling that it won't make complete sense until episode 13.

Loved the Discworld reference ("Oh, this is the Oval Office! I was looking for the Oblong Room.").
MeddlingMonk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #206
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Current Game: Not TFU2
The International House of Mojo Staff 
My favourite bit, which flew right over the heads of my viewing companions, was the
Show spoiler

The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #207
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

I thought the episode was really great, though the
spoiler:
bathroom scene and the ending slow-mos didn't work for me initially (they grew on me on re-watch).
Some terrifically funny lines in there.
spoiler:
And the new monsters are very creepy. The death seven minutes in was a genuine wtf shocker

Also, to me, Matt Smith is the best portrayal of the Doctor I've seen. It's amazing how he looks both old and young, energetic but tired, dark and foreboding, yet happy and excited. Also, annoyed. He IS The Doctor. (Even Colin Baker thinks he's "incomparable".)

Like MeddlingMonk said, I'll have to see the next episode for a final verdict, but right now it is looking like it's one of the best episodes to date. Let's see how it holds up with the rest of the episode (episodeS? It feels like a series-long arc is at work).
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #208
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
I liked it, but I'll have to watch it again before I see part 2. As much as I love those throwaway lines, it's a shame that we don't get to see those potential storylines at some point!

Want some funny radio plays?
Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
MJ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #209
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

My head hurts after thinking too much about Day of the Moon (it's getting like bloody Lost), but utterly loved it. Some pointers (SPOILERS):

Show spoiler

Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #210
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

I thought the episode was superb. Easily the best I've seen in Doctor Who - classic *and* new.

Show spoiler

Anyways, an A+ from me. I don't think any other episode will top this two-parter.

I should probably mention that I re-watched "Astronaut" and then started "Moon" immediately afterwards, so that might have helped a bit. Great great episodes, either way.

Last edited by Kroms; 05-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #211
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

What I'm looking forward to (hopefully for a long while yet) is getting to the young River's first encounter with the Doctor. Then I can watch her episodes in reverse order and get into her perspective of those stories.

And open all the doors to the swimming pool.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #212
Gabez

But when we get to River meeting the doctor for the first time it will mean it is all over.

I wonder if the Doctor will feel like that. A first time and a last time.

Although presumably the Doctor can break out of the sequence if he wants to... presumably he sets the TARDIS to the point just before River goes to the library so he can turn up at her house with a new haircut and give her his screwdriver etc.
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #213
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

I suppose the Doctor must be able to jump around River's timeline, since he has a time machine, although normally his first meeting with someone is their first meeting with him as well, and the second, and so on. But, the Doctor definitely went out of the crosswise sequence with River when he gave her the special sonic screwdriver just before Silence in the Library. That has to be his last meeting with River, which is her next-to-last rather than her first.

Moffat is clearly taking the whole time-travel thing more seriously than the series has in the past. The Tardis traditionally has been used just to land the Doctor in the middle of something. The first story to play on the notion of time travel as time travel was The Space Museum, and that was more than a little crap. It's not until Day of the Daleks that time travel was employed as the driver of the plot. Moffat seems intent on really making time wibbly-wobbly.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #214
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

"The Curse of the Black Spot": enjoyable, solid, nothing special.

"The Doctor's Wife": incredible. ARGHHH so good. And on my birthday. Real special, this one.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #215
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Happy Birthday!

And totally agree. Curse of the Black Spot I had high hopes for (Doctor Who and Pirates! What could go wrong?), but it had a point at which the whole plot just basically stopped and they didn't have anywhere else interesting to go.

The Doctor's Wife though - barring the slight disappointments of the "stored control room" not being a classic series control room and the TARDIS being a few identical corridors, this was an exceptionally good episode. The relationship between the Doctor and, um, Idris just makes the whole thing - as it really does in every episode, it's just never been humanised like this!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #216
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Thanks Chris!

Show spoiler
Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #217
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Ack, not too worried about that particular part. It's been and gone about 2 or 3 times over the course of the series.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #218
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

Don't feel too sorry for the swimming pool. The Seventh Doctor jettisoned it because it leaked sometime before Paradise Towers. From what the Doctor said about making Amy and Rory a new room, the Tardis can probably make a new swimming pool (again, I guess).

Tardis corridors were a bit on the samey side, but then there were back in the '80s. But that's much better than Victorian brickwork interior from The Invasion of Time.

I'm also fine with the use of the console room that they had, and I liked the idea that the Tardis retains all the old console rooms. It's kind of weird nod to the new/old console room introduced for The Hand of Fear.

And, rounding off the title dropping festival, let's hear it for the psychic boxes from The War Games. Woooo!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #219
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

War Games, yeah! Oh, and the Eye of Orion from The Five Doctors. I also think the swimming pool was chucked sometime by the Fifth Doctor too, possibly in Castrovalva, I have a vague memory of Tegan being on her way there to have a swim when he did it.

I do like how the "alternate" TARDIS looks a little bit Classic.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #220
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

You're thinking of the Zero Room, actually. But you're otherwise right: I think it was in Castrovalva that introduced the idea that Tardis rooms can be converted into thrust.

When you think about it, The Doctor's Wife had a lot of references to old Who. Just off the top of my head, there were references to things and ideas from: The Edge of Destruction (Tardis is alive and intelligent, but unable to communicate using language), The Sensorites (Time Lord psychic powers), The War Games (psychic distress-call boxes), Frontier in Space (telepathic circuits), every story that mentions the fact that the Doctor stole the Tardis (starting with Planet of the Spiders, I think), The Masque of Mandragora (more than one control room), The Invasion of Time (swimming pool introduced), Destiny of the Daleks (planet that is a shell around a living organism), Logopolis (cloister bell), Castrovalva (burning Tardis rooms for thrust), The Five Doctors (rebuilding the console), Paradise Towers (swimming pool deleted). And there may be others.

Last edited by MeddlingMonk; 06-02-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #221
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Rebuilding the console in The Five Doctors? When? And I thought the swimming pool was ditched along with the Zero Room in Castrovalva, but could be confusing it with Paradise Towers. I think it possibly happens again in an 8th Doctor audio adventure.

Anyway, 'The Rebel Flesh'. I vaguely enjoyed it, cheap as it felt, but even with that ending I'm not sure where they can go with a second episode. Surprise me Matthew Graham! Still, it feels good to have an almost proper Classic-feeling episode right down to a cliffhanger. And where does the Doctor know the Flesh from? The gravitas he gave it makes me suspect a major enemy, but who?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #222
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

It's really not that hard to guess *how* he knows The Flesh. They're not an old enemy, I'll put it that way. Major hints throughout the episode.

I personally really, really liked it. It was exciting. And funny. And weird and new and interesting. Much prefer this to cheap, hollow knock-offs like "The Hungry Earth" or "Victory of the Daleks". There's a good cast and good writing. It's all up to part two, though.

Also, I have a relatively strong theory about Amy's on/off pregnancy. I'll tell you, just no-one write anything from trailers and future synopses to confirm or deny.

Show spoiler

Again, please, no-one post anything from trailers or synopses. I avoid them. That's just my (relatively plausible) theory, though.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #223
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tingler View Post
Rebuilding the console in The Five Doctors? When?
A new console is introduced, not for the first time, but in a way that draws attention to the change. There's a conversation between Tegan and the Doctor about it. She wonders if the Tardis will now work properly and the Doctor replies with something like "once everything is connected". Instead of pretending the console had always been like that, it was played up as a new installation.

Different topic, but I wonder whether the Flesh will ultimately relate to the death of the Doctor in the first episode. It's not as if they're going to really kill off the Doctor and the series with him.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #224
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

"The Almost People" was so exciting.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #225
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

Tom Baker's voice coming out of Matt Smith's mouth was certainly unexpected. I actually jumped when that happened.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #226
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Did anyone else think that episode was unbelievably *dark*, though? I actually had to play some Super Mario on my old SNES to be able to sleep, since I saw it late at night.

Series 6 has been really good. It's cranked out five great episodes out of a total of six aired. I hope the second part lives up to the first.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 AM   #227
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Did anyone else think that episode was unbelievably *dark*, though? I actually had to play some Super Mario on my old SNES to be able to sleep, since I saw it late at night.

Series 6 has been really good. It's cranked out five great episodes out of a total of six aired. I hope the second part lives up to the first. I guess The Tingler might disagree with me, but I do think it's been the strongest series New Who's done this far. I've been watching Tom Baker's first series and getting the same vibe, the idea that I'm watching a new standard for the show in the making.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #228
Gabez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk View Post
Tom Baker's voice coming out of Matt Smith's mouth was certainly unexpected. I actually jumped when that happened.
Did I miss that? When did that happen?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #229
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

I'll have to wait and see with the rest of the season, but it has the potential to be. I loved episodes 1, 2, and 4 unconditionally, 3 was a wasted opportunity, and these last two...

I'd say they were good, but not spectacular. I don't think the premise really deserved two episodes. It was clearly drawn out into the series plan before being scripted, and so apart from the ending and the Doctor's ganger there really wasn't much to it. Still, I appreciate the Classic feel of it, right down to lots of things that haven't been referred to recently - like jelly babies or the Cybermats (well, apart from the Blood of the Cybermen adventure game on the website).

When the ganger Doctor is struggling to "adapt to his regenerations" near the beginning his voice changes for one line about jelly babies. It's Tom Baker.

Jesus Christ, we're on the last episode already! When does the second half start again?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #230
s-island
Music man

Wow, what a wankathon.
s-island is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #231
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Heh, you're referring to the final episode eh? I enjoyed it, but know what you mean and totally agree.

Show spoiler

What I hated though is the desperate need to call back everything in Matt Smith's (and ONLY Matt Smith's) time as the Doctor,
Show spoiler

Show spoiler

Show spoiler

Show spoiler

Oh well. Over now, and I'm more intrigued about where it's going next.

Oh, and incidentally - exciting news for Classic Doctor Who fans. Much like the DVD release of The Invasion, the upcoming release of The Reign of Terror (William Hartnell story set in the French Revolution) will have its missing episodes animated.

The only trouble is, I actually preferred the animated Invasion episodes to the original stuff! It looked much better!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #232
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Revenge of the Curse of the Last of the Time Lords Strikes Back, Part III.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #233
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Oh yeah, I forgot the damn pirates.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #234
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Show spoiler

Though, I have to say this: Matt Smith is one terrifying mother****er when he gets angry. The man's more Doctor than anyone before. This generation of Doctor Who are a bunch of good actors.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #235
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabez View Post
Did I miss that? When did that happen?
I guess you must have missed that. It was early on in The Almost People. The Flesh Doctor was struggling with the past regenerations. Right after he says the line about reversing the polarity of the neutron flow, he says "Would you like a jelly baby?" and that is in Tom Baker's voice. Going by Confidential, that was lifted from Robots of Death.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 AM   #236
Gabez

Yeah, I watched it again to pick it up. Pretty cool!

As for the last episode, I loved it. Thought it was a great revelation as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #237
AlfredJ
Rookie

This episode was pretty fun, but mainly because this show manages to impress me every week by how far it has come compared to the early days (note: early days for me means Eccleston, not Hartnell). It looks just great, even with its modest budget, and I love how the companions are actually part of the plot now. I liked the Cyberman (although I wish they had a bigger role, I'm still waiting on a big epic Cyberman or Dalek-episode that's actually fun to watch) and the Sontaran, but the headless monks stole the show for me, even though they didn't really have a lot to do. Very cool concept (monks with their heads removed so all they can do is blindly follow their heart, the church being terrified of the Doctor, the 'man who reasons'. There were lots of other awesome quotes that I can't recall right now).

This was one of those episodes that was filled with cool concepts, but as a whole I think the episode wasn't that great. A lot of time was spend on the mystery of River's identity, but they kept dropping these big flashing hints all over the place, which made the episode more annoying than it should be for me. The shot of Melody's nametag at the beginning of the episode could have been a red herring, but as soon as River started talking about her birthday all doubt was blasted from my mind. That's not even mentioning the fact that everyone made the connection between River and Amy's name ages ago. Fun little mystery for the kids to solve I suppose, which is probably more important.

I'll have to watch the episode again some day, but apart from the River revelation business which they just had to get out of the way I liked it. Can't wait for it to return. Series 6 is pretty strong so far, with Neil Gaiman's episode being the best Doctor Who episode I've ever seen (I've seen all of New Who and one episode of every classic doctor. I'm currently working my way through the first doctor's run with a friend, but it's going to take us a couple of months. We're taking it extremely slow - I doubt we'll ever finish it). The pirate episode was the only episode I didn't like.
AlfredJ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #238
neon_git

I'm pretty much going to echo what others are saying but generally this series has been excellent. Pirate episode was pure nob-rot, obviously, and the most recent two were disappointing overall if brilliant in places, but this is the best series of the new Dr Who yet.

My one major issue though is that Rory needs to stop
spoiler:
dying and then coming back to life
. It happens almost every episode and it cheapens the whole thing. One day he's
spoiler:
really going to die
and it'll have no impact on me whatsoever.

You mean the way the sea stays steady as a rock and the buildings keep washing up and down? Yes I thought that was odd.
neon_git is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #239
daltysmilth
Rookie

Anyone else here a fan of Murray Gold's soundtracks? He's such a great composer, capable of handling action, comedy, epic wonder, and high drama with equal ease. In some cases, his music kinda reminds me of some of the old Lucasarts soundtracks.

This track in particular:

View page
YouTube Video

seems to have a bit of a Peter McConnell vibe to it.

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #240
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Some of his music is nice, but a lot of it is too damn *loud*. "School Reunion" and "The Rebel Flesh" both had moments where I actually wanted to yell at him.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > Off-Topic Mayhem > Doctor Who!