lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Marijuana: Should it be legalized?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
JediKnight707
Or I will choke you...
 
JediKnight707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: On that Blvd. of Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,478
Marijuana: Should it be legalized?

Aw, the ultimate question. Should it?

My $.02:

No, it shouldn't. I don't care if someone smokes pot or whatever, but I don't think it should be legalized. ~snipped~ The problem with legalizing it is abuse. You can tax it all you want, but it will be abused terribly.

Discuss!


Last edited by Jae Onasi; 07-01-2007 at 10:38 PM.
JediKnight707 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Fredi
El Guapo
 
Fredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San GermŠn,PR
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight_707
Aw, the ultimate question. Should it?

My $.02:

No, it shouldn't. I don't care if someone smokes pot or whatever, but I don't think it should be legalized. ~snipped~ The problem with legalizing it is abuse. You can tax it all you want, but it will be abused terribly.

Discuss!
Isnít it Marihuana? Well I think it should be legalize.... Just to keep order and prevent fewer deaths. Marihuana is a natural drug and itís use by natives is Bolivia, Colombia and Peru for the altitude and medical uses, So as I said I do believe it should be legalize.



"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
JediKnight707
Or I will choke you...
 
JediKnight707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: On that Blvd. of Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,478
Get off the dope man! If you don't know how to spell marijuana.
Trust me, I know how to spell marijuana.

JediKnight707 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Does it matter? The same amount of people are going to smoke weed regardless if it is legal or not. Irrelevant issue in my opinion.

I am curious, and amused, about this debate because it relates directly to another drug thats legal in so many places. Cigarettes. Why is weed illegal when Cigs are legal in most parts of the world? They do just as much harm, kill just as many people, and the fact cigs are legal and everywhere possibly makes them responsible for more deaths. Yes yes, I know weed does F you up a bit more than a cig does, but at the core it is the same thing.

Do I care if you smoke weed? Not really. All I care about is your second-hand smoke. Smoke it outside or away from people who do not want it in their lungs and brain. Although high people tend to hit people with their cars and hurt people and do other such things, but it is all basically the same. I don't care if you smoke, as long as you do it in a way that will not hurt others. Same with alcohol. But in the end that argument is pointless because once you are drunk or high, you have no guarantee you won't hurt anybody.

Make it legal for all I care, or ban it like they have tried. Pointless either way, because people are still going to use it to get high, some are still going to hurt people, and there is nothing law or anything can do about that fact. It does not matter how dangerous weed is, how much legalizing it will hurt people, and how much it hurts the families of people who use it. You can present every bit of proof imaginable for this debate that weed is bad, but it wont matter because people will still smoke. You get rid of all weed on earth, people will just find new ways to get high.

In summary, life sucks.

Thats my thoughts on the topic.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Moderator note: This is a public forum. That means _anyone_, including law enforcement, can read this, so you would be wise not to discuss illegal activities. Also, remember that posting about illegal activities is against Forum Rules. Smoking pot is illegal in the US except in CA and NM and there you have to have a doctor's prescription for it. Don't talk about smoking pot or taking illegal drugs, please. --Jae

Believe it or not (and ET in particular may fall over in shock on this one. ), I don't object if it's legalized. It can be addictive, but not as addictive as other drugs like heroin or ice, and I think it's less harmful to the liver than alcohol. Other drugs should stay illegal because they are so dangerous to the user (or to the people around the user when the user freaks out). We'd have to implement standards for cannabis DUI when someone decides to be stupid and drives under the influence, but that's doable as well.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
JediKnight707
Or I will choke you...
 
JediKnight707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: On that Blvd. of Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Does it matter? The same amount of people are going to smoke weed regardless if it is legal or not. Irrelevant issue in my opinion.
But its still worth debating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
I am curious, and amused, about this debate because it relates directly to another drug thats legal in so many places. Cigarettes. Why is weed illegal when Cigs are legal in most parts of the world? They do just as much harm, kill just as many people, and the fact cigs are legal and everywhere possibly makes them responsible for more deaths. Yes yes, I know weed does F you up a bit more than a cig does, but at the core it is the same thing.
The key phrase is: "Yes yes, I know weed does F you up..." That's they key. Cig. do affect your mind in a way, sometimes they make you lightheaded, but generally speaking you keep a clear head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Do I care if you smoke weed? Not really. All I care about is your second-hand smoke. Smoke it outside or away from people who do not want it in their lungs and brain. Although high people tend to hit people with their cars and hurt people and do other such things, but it is all basically the same. I don't care if you smoke, as long as you do it in a way that will not hurt others. Same with alcohol. But in the end that argument is pointless because once you are drunk or high, you have no guarantee you won't hurt anybody.
But you are more likely to hurt someone than if you were in your sane mind. Proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Make it legal for all I care, or ban it like they have tried. Pointless either way, because people are still going to use it to get high, some are still going to hurt people, and there is nothing law or anything can do about that fact. It does not matter how dangerous weed is, how much legalizing it will hurt people, and how much it hurts the families of people who use it. You can present every bit of proof imaginable for this debate that weed is bad, but it wont matter because people will still smoke. You get rid of all weed on earth, people will just find new ways to get high.
True, but weed is the most common drug in the world, so you have to assume doing something drastic to its legality would affect it.

EDIT: I am totally shocked at your reaction Jae. I thought that you as a parent would object mightly to this. Now your forcing me to get serious D:

The biggest problem with marijuana is the fact that it is a gateway drug. 60% of people who smoke dope before age 15 will try cocaine, and people who smoke it under age 15 are 80times more likely to do cocaine. Those to me are the biggest harms of it all. It leads you to the bad drugs [:

JediKnight707 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padawan
Marihuana is a natural drug
Dunno why whether it's natural or not matters, either way it screws up. Poking your eyes out with a pointed stick is natural but not very healthy either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padawan
and itís use by natives is Bolivia, Colombia and Peru for the altitude and medical uses,
Marijuana is already allowed for medical uses. If you have some types of illnesses, you can be given a permit to own up to 200 marijuana plants in your house. (In WA, at least - and yes, it's silly, no one person would ever need 200 plants) Legalizing it will only allow people who don't need it to abuse it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padawan
Well I think it should be legalize.... Just to keep order and prevent fewer deaths.
To keep order? For Pete's sake, the drug ruins people's memories, fills their lungs with tar and kills them. Doesn't strike me as particularly orderly.

(In case anyone didn't infer from this post, I am against the idea of legalizing marijuana)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
I say legalize it. It's relatively harmless and it would give the police and prison system a break. It would also crash the market for it completely, which would be entertaining. I have no intention of ever using such drugs, legal or not, but I don't think it's something to be really worried about. Doubtless its use would require a certain (small) amount of personal responsibility, but that's hardly a reason to have a ban on something.

I wonder if the police themselves would be happy or sad about its legalization...

Quote:
True, but weed is the most common drug in the world, so you have to assume doing something drastic to its legality would affect it.
It would still be #1?


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
We'd have to implement standards for cannabis DUI when someone decides to be stupid and drives under the influence, but that's doable as well.
I see this all the time in the industry I work. That is why they changed the name of the offense from DWI to DUI. One of my clients was even charged and convicted for taking over the counter cold medicine and driving. Read the warning labels!

As for the topic of legalizing marijuana canít say if Iím for or against it, Iíve seen how it has effect people within my family and led to stronger drugs. I donít know if it was just the additive properties of the drug or their weak personalities. I donít really care if people can handle it the I guess so. I however will not be using it or any other drug (except alcohol and caffeine ). I donít even take aspirin till my head is about to pound off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
In summary, life sucks.
Turn that frown upside down. I know that is stupid but trust me life gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
I wonder if the police themselves would be happy or sad about its legalization...
Donít know about the police, but the tax payer should be happier. Maybe our prison would be a little less crowded without all the recreational users filling the prison beds. Maybe that would free up the police to actually go after the violet members of our society.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
JediKnight707
Or I will choke you...
 
JediKnight707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: On that Blvd. of Broken Dreams
Posts: 1,478
Yeah ditto about the family thing. Haven't had a fun ride with pot with the famiglia.
>__>
<__<

JediKnight707 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #11
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Marijuana growing was once legal in the United States, however it wasn't for drug use, it was for using the plant as rope, apparently it made very good rope. Also it's cocaine use that is in Columbia, not Marijuana.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #12
Fredi
El Guapo
 
Fredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San GermŠn,PR
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Marijuana growing was once legal in the United States, however it wasn't for drug use, it was for using the plant as rope, apparently it made very good rope. Also it's cocaine use that is in Columbia, not Marijuana.
Yes my bad It's coca , I forgot



"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #13
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED
(In WA, at least - and yes, it's silly, no one person would ever need 200 plants)
Unless of course they're doing a little "discreet" dealing on the side.

Basically, I think there are good reasons to ban pot, but also think that most casual users should be forced to do community service in order to keep the jails clear for hardened felons. The federal mandatory minimums would make a helluva lot more sense if they were applying them to the dealers and producers of the drug. The other way casts to wide a net at too great an expense. Btw, does anyone have any figures on how many of the 2.2 million prisoners in the US are "merely" casual dopeheads?


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 AM   #14
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
First, I'd like to point out that pot was originally banned in the U.S. because of racist white people. These racists demanded that weed be banned because they claimed Mexicans were smoking pot and going on rampages through town. Of course this was a lie spouted by racist bigots who had a big influence in the government. Currently, the "reason" why weed is illegal in the U.S. is because it has no medicinal value. Which, of course, is silly.

Weed is not addictive. It has no addicitive qualities to it. They're not cigarettes.

Weed is not a gateway drug. There are lots of people who smoke pot and never touch any other drugs. If someone does go on to use hard drugs, the reason why is because they want to, not because weed makes them.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 07-02-2007 at 12:38 AM.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #15
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
First, I'd like to point out that pot was originally banned in the U.S. because of racist white people. These racists demanded that weed be banned because they claimed Mexicans were smoking pot and going on rampages through town. Of course this was a lie spouted by racist bigots who had a big influence in the government. Currently, the "reason" why weed is illegal in the U.S. is because it has no medicinal value. Which, of course, is silly.
That's actually not true, Marijuana was originally used during World War 2 to make rope not for smoking or drug use. Also stop playing the race card, it is complete and utter garbage, quit claiming people like me are racist. I'm part Native American, and tobacco actually had cultural significance, ever hear of the Peace Pipe, that wasn't Marijuana they were smoking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Weed is not addictive. It has no addicitive qualities to it. They're not cigarettes.
Sorry but police reports and former users of marijuana would say otherwise.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Weed is not a gateway drug. There are lots of people who smoke pot and never touch any other drugs. If someone does go on to use hard drugs, the reason why is because they want to, not because weed makes them.
Isn't that cause they often get caught, also there are lots of people who do smoke pot and go on to more hardcore drugs.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #16
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
That's actually not true, Marijuana was originally used during World War 2 to make rope not for smoking or drug use. Also stop playing the race card, it is complete and utter garbage, quit claiming people like me are racist. I'm part Native American, and tobacco actually had cultural significance, ever hear of the Peace Pipe, that wasn't Marijuana they were smoking!
Of course I'm not saying YOU are racist. However, the original people who demanded pot be criminalized WERE. You just need to watch the History Channel or read a book on the history of drugs, or even read a Wikipedia article to realize that these white racists were key to the criminalization of pot. It would probably never be illegal if it weren't for the efforts of racists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The legal history of marijuana in the United States mainly involves the 20th and 21st centuries. In the 1800s, marijuana (also referred to as cannabis) was legal in most states, as hemp to make items such as rope, sails, and clothes, and was used for medicinal purposes; however, after the Mexican Revolution of 1910, a flood of Mexicans immigrated to the United States and introduced recreational marijuana use. A public misconception that Mexicans and other minorities committed violent crimes while under the influence of marijuana, which caused many states to criminalize marijuana, was promoted by Harry J. Anslinger's media interviews, faulty studies, and propaganda films that claimed marijuana caused violent, erratic, and overly sexual behavior.

[...]

In 1910, recreational marijuana use was introduced to American culture when large numbers of Mexicans immigrated to the United States due to the Mexican Revolution. Anti-drug campaigners claimed that terrible crimes were a result of Mexicans who used marijuana. In the 1930, during the Great Depression, research linked the use of marijuana with violence and crime primarily committed by minorities; growing unemployment increased resentment and fear of Mexicans and 29 states had outlawed marijuana by 1931.

Harry J. Anslinger, the nation's first drug czar, publicly spoke about marijuana's effects; for example, Anslinger claimed, "[African American]s' satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others"
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_h..._United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Sorry but police reports and former users of marijuana would say otherwise.
The police have an interest in seeing weed remain illegal. Probably about half of the police force would be out of a job if pot was legalized. And I'm sure that there are people who are addicted to pot. But there are people who have addictive personalities, and they can become addicted to just about anything from baseball to the internet. Pot does not have addictive qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Isn't that cause they often get caught, also there are lots of people who do smoke pot and go on to more hardcore drugs.
But if they do go on to hard drugs, it's not because of the weed itself. It's because of other circumstances. The whole "gateway drug" thing is government propaganda and holds no real water.

I highly recommend reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabi...th_other_drugs
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #17
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Garfield, I don't believe TK was directing the racist thing at you in particular. I think it was meant as a general comment. TK--please stop swearing in Kavar's, even with the filter. You're capable of so much more verbal creativity than that.

I think pot may be a gateway drug because it's an entree to an illegal activity and to the people who sell illegal substances. Granted, the smoking of it is not the safest--it has the same risks as smoking cigarettes in that respect, but there are other ways to get the THC besides smoking it.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #18
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
The Drug War is a quamire, yes, but it is a quamire I support.

It is a quamire because people will want to use drugs anyway. Like people want to murder other people, or steal money, or cheat on their taxes. We can't withdraw from those fights, but what if we do, based on the fact that you can't stop them, you might as well regulate their use?

And I object to legalization because, well, actually, I won't. I dislike it because there are side-effects, and the government, by stopping me from taking those drugs, prevent me from getting the side-effects, and prevent me from harming them. But if they legalize it, I won't start protest marches. I just won't use those drugs at all, because I don't want to be drugged.

We got tobbaco problems and drinking DUIs...do you think we really want more of these sort of problems? Well, maybe we do. But I won't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #19
Fredi
El Guapo
 
Fredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San GermŠn,PR
Posts: 1,305
TK-8252.... hmmm I think this might sound heavy but dont take it bad.... you are not white right?



"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 AM   #20
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
TK--please stop swearing in Kavar's, even with the filter. You're capable of so much more verbal creativity than that.
Not really.

But okay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
I think pot may be a gateway drug because it's an entree to an illegal activity and to the people who sell illegal substances.
You're right about that. The reason why some argue pot is a gateway drug is because it's an introduction to the underground, and to some degree it's true. Which is why you legalize it to solve this problem, and many other problems associated with the criminalization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padawan
TK-8252.... hmmm I think this might sound heavy but dont take it bad.... you are not white right?
I am white. However, I don't have to be colored to realize that other whites have done severe damage to our society through their racism in the past (and to a lesser degree, in the present).
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 02:59 AM   #21
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
I dislike it because there are side-effects, and the government, by stopping me from taking those drugs, prevent me from getting the side-effects, and prevent me from harming them. But if they legalize it, I won't start protest marches. I just won't use those drugs at all, because I don't want to be drugged.
Well there is the option of growing a ****ing spine and deciding whats right for yourself instead of requiring some entity to pop out of the wall and tell you whats right and what isn't.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 03:02 AM   #22
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
I don't see any value in legalizing it. If you tax the crap out of it, people are just going to smuggle it in. Interesting thing, I've heard you can make in excess of $2 Million smuggling perfectly legal cigarettes over the border and dodging tariffs. Legalizing it won't make the illegal traffic much less. In fact, it could concievably increase illegal traffic.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 03:23 AM   #23
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
To keep order? For Pete's sake, the drug ruins people's memories, fills their lungs with tar and kills them. Doesn't strike me as particularly orderly.
Well, other than the time where someone is high, the effect on memory is qutie minimal, unless its severe abuse over a long period of time. So it is really not much different from alcohol abuse.

And as for "fills their lungs with tar and kills them" that can hardly happen, more like physically not possable. BTW as for the tar factor, there is less of it in a blunt than in a cigarette.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #24
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
I don't see any value in legalizing it. If you tax the crap out of it, people are just going to smuggle it in. Interesting thing, I've heard you can make in excess of $2 Million smuggling perfectly legal cigarettes over the border and dodging tariffs. Legalizing it won't make the illegal traffic much less. In fact, it could concievably increase illegal traffic.
Then go for the free market way and don't tax it any more than other products. I know of no people who obtain cigarettes from smugglers... that's just stupid... to turn an otherwise legal activity into one risking one's life and liberty. I really don't think that would happen on a large scale.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 AM   #25
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
You'd be surprised. As for risking your life and liberty for money, welcome to the world. You think people rob banks for the humanitarian value of it?
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #26
Darth Smaug
Veteran
 
Darth Smaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Elnor
Posts: 864
Legalize it!
Come on people, there's nothing wrong with a little weed.
People who smoke it are relax, laugh alot and don't do anything wrong.
Everybody thinks it's just a big drug, well it's just a plant. I compare weed to alcohol and nicotine. If it made people aggresive and rebel then it should be forbidden, but all it does is make you feel good and happy. So what really is the problem? If they wanna smoke it, let them. It's their life after all.


I'm floating, and something's reaching out.
Darth Smaug is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 05:35 AM   #27
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,192
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I personally don't smoke weed anymore or drink for that matter, but the only thing weed ever did to me was make me lazy, booze on the other hand has been a catalyst to some of the worst decisions I've ever made, so maybe legalizing dope it isn't such a bad thing, maybe less people would use alcohol as an escape if weed was available? I'd rather walk down the street and see a bar full of laid back Friends listening to reggae, than some out of control thugs vomiting and smashing glasses.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 AM   #28
Darth Smaug
Veteran
 
Darth Smaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Elnor
Posts: 864
Exactly, while weed makes you chill and relax, alcohol makes you aggresive.
It's like adamqd says, rather see some relaxed people than alcohol aggresive hooligans.


I'm floating, and something's reaching out.
Darth Smaug is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 05:52 AM   #29
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,370
Forum Veteran 
I'm all for legalizing marijuana.

I don't see any widespread negative effects of legalizing it, it would also help 'conquer' the black market if pharmacies for example would sell marijuana.


Last edited by Pho3nix; 07-02-2007 at 06:02 AM.
Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #30
Fredi
El Guapo
 
Fredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San GermŠn,PR
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I am white. However, I don't have to be colored to realize that other whites have done severe damage to our society through their racism in the past (and to a lesser degree, in the present).
I am with you man....(Latin)just in case :P



"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #31
Ghost Down
Senior Member
 
Ghost Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,024
Hmm, Weed is legal over here in Holland where I live. And we got no problems with it over here.. Except for the usual (illegally) weed plantation..Hehe

- Ghost Down


Ghost Down is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #32
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Of course I'm not saying YOU are racist. However, the original people who demanded pot be criminalized WERE. You just need to watch the History Channel or read a book on the history of drugs, or even read a Wikipedia article to realize that these white racists were key to the criminalization of pot. It would probably never be illegal if it weren't for the efforts of racists.
Sorry but I do watch the history channel on a regular basis, and I do read books thank you kindly. Racism has nothing to do with banning Marijuana, I seriously doubt it had to do with a bunch of violent crimes being committed by people under the influence of Marijuana based on the article you provided. That article says nothing about the Mexicans other than they introduced Recreational usage into the US. The fact it was banned after the violent crimes, was a reaction to those crimes, just like how stricter gun laws are enacted after a high profile shooting. It had absolutely nothing to do with racism.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
The police have an interest in seeing weed remain illegal. Probably about half of the police force would be out of a job if pot was legalized. And I'm sure that there are people who are addicted to pot. But there are people who have addictive personalities, and they can become addicted to just about anything from baseball to the internet. Pot does not have addictive qualities.
Don't make me laugh, exercise is not considered an addiction. Playing or watching baseball isn't considered an addiction. TK-8252, I know darn well Marijuana is addictive, I've also noticed based on the situation in California that legalizing is foolish. People get it for everything from terminal illnesses to the common cold. It's highly addictive, the reason why it is illegal and not alcohol is due to the cultural significance to alcohol and the fact that red wine in moderation actually is good for the liver. You can't tell me Marijuana has any good effects unless you consider getting high to be a good effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
But if they do go on to hard drugs, it's not because of the weed itself. It's because of other circumstances. The whole "gateway drug" thing is government propaganda and holds no real water.
Can you provide any actual proof that it is propaganda, cause I've seen brain scans of people whom were using Marijuana in the past and the scans were significantly different from the brain scan of someone that didn't use it.

Last edited by GarfieldJL; 07-02-2007 at 10:50 AM.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #33
Fredi
El Guapo
 
Fredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San GermŠn,PR
Posts: 1,305
Have you used MARIHUANA**? No? Then why you say is addictive if you havenít used and donít know how it is? Ö. I assure you that at least 3 of 10 guysí from the congress are marihuana users and almost 7 out of 10 in America have smoked pod. Yeah there are some people addicted to it, but there are people addicted to shopping, biting theyíre finger nails and even to work ÖÖ Marihuana is something that will never be stopped and if they keep illegalizing more problems the government will have.



"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #34
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Considering I'm on a bunch of prescription medications some of which are controlled substances that in all likelyhood I could get killed taking illegal drugs due to an interaction, no I haven't used Marijuana, nor do I want to. I think smoking is disgusting, and I've seen people whom were on marijuana and they were like in a total state of apathy.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #35
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness
 
ET Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Evil League of Evil
Posts: 9,405
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
The fact it was banned after the violent crimes,
The fact that it was violent crimes is suspect simply due to the nature of marijuana users. I've honestly never met someone under the effects of marijuana who had any kind of aggression or violent tendencies. Not to say it cannot happen, it just seems suspicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Don't make me laugh, exercise is not considered an addiction. Playing or watching baseball isn't considered an addiction. TK-8252, I know darn well Marijuana is addictive,
Actually exercise can become an addiction. There are people who lift weights too much and it becomes very unhealthy for their body. People can get addicted to gambling, running, video games, etc. This doesn't mean those things themselves are to blame, it just means that the person using it doesn't have the necessary willpower to give it up.

Cigarette addiction is an actual physical addiction, once a smoker stops getting their nicotine their body responds poorly to the loss of the chemical. This is not the case with marijuana, any 'addiction' is almost a purely willpower issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
You can't tell me Marijuana has any good effects unless you consider getting high to be a good effect.
And the good effects of cigarettes and alcohol are...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
cause I've seen brain scans of people whom were using Marijuana in the past and the scans were significantly different from the brain scan of someone that didn't use it.
And I've seen lung biopsies of people who smoke cigarettes and they are significantly different from lung biopsies of those who don't. What is your point?



ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #36
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,845
Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Can you provide any actual proof that it is propaganda, cause I've seen brain scans of people whom were using Marijuana in the past and the scans were significantly different from the brain scan of someone that didn't use it.
http://www.rand.org/news/press.02/gateway.html
http://www.drugwardistortions.org/distortion7.htm
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/study...rug-12116.html
http://www.nap.edu/html/marimed/es.html

there's tons more...

In fact, if you're into the whole gateway conspiracy.. might try pointing fingers at alcohol and smoking. They're the gateway drugs to marijuana...

The fact of the matter is that marijuana is the most easily acceptable and highly used illicit drug.. that's why it's been (incorrectly) branded as the magical gate leading to total damnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Don't make me laugh, exercise is not considered an addiction.
http://www.internet-articles.com/nut...-addiction.php
http://www.addictions.co.uk/addiction.asp?id=exercise
http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=10296

Just because YOU don't consider that it can be an addiction doesn't mean it can't happen.


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #37
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
How about from sites that aren't out to legalize drugs like Marijuana, Cocaine, etc.


Marijuana does affect the nervous system, alcohol has a cultural significance all the way back to the ancient Greeks and earlier. Furthermore, it has been proven that red wine which has alcohol in it actually is good for your liver. So alcohol in moderation can be good for you.

In my personal opinion smoking should be banned too, nicotine is an extremely addictive drug, second only to caffeine and unlike caffeine nicotine has extremely severe withdrawl effects and causes damage to the body. Caffeine in moderate amounts have little to no lasting effects on the body.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #38
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,845
Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
How about from sites that aren't out to legalize drugs like Marijuana, Cocaine, etc.
Cherry picking articles to support your theory? Or are you not reading them period?

Drugwardistortions, maybe.. but sources like RAND, scienceblog, nap.edu or oh say The Institute of Medicine, are highly unlikely to be fronting the cause to bring 'evil' marijuana and the other hardcore drugs sure to follow, in to the homes of every citizen

http://www.druglibrary.org/think/~jnr/conv.htm

Quote:
Furthermore, it has been proven that red wine which has alcohol in it actually is good for your liver. So alcohol in moderation can be good for you.
Red Wine yeah, it's the antioxidants doing they're job (might want to take note on the last paragraph as well), but that's not to say "alcohol" in general is healthy for you. Sorry, but I don't see alot of college kids bar-hopping to sip on a nice Merlot. No, they're usually 2-fisting pints of the local flavor, which isn't the "healthy" alcohol..

And in moderation yeah... but that's the key to any drug isn't it? If I go drink a gallon of red wine, it ain't healthy. If I smoke a carton of cigarettes a day, it definitely isn't healthy. If I smoke an ounce of weed in a day, then I'll be in a coma....

Marijuana does have benefits "in moderation"... just as anything should only be done in moderation. Too much of anything is bound to cause problems.


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #39
MetalMark
Junior Member
 
MetalMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 268
Here in The Netherlands it is already legal too a certain amount. Only the changes that they will actually check how much you have on you is VERY small.
MetalMark is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #40
Allronix
Forumite
 
Allronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 575
As I tell folks, we legalized the wrong stuff. When I worked at restaurant, the guy with too much booze and not enough sense would come in, get belligerent, forget his order, try to grope me, and pass out in the parking lot.

The guy who rolled a couple joints usually waited peacefully for his ten cheeseburgers, tipped decently, and caused no trouble.

Then, we start getting into the genuine medical use. Because of its tendency to give one the munchies, it certainly can help cancer patients, AIDS sufferers, and anorexics. On the first two, it cancels out the nausea and lack of appetite that the other treatments bring. Glaucoma treatment by THC is well-documented. MS patients also show up at Hempfest, as the muscle relaxant and painkilling properties help with THAT condition.

Hemp itself is a different matter. It's banned under the pot laws - never frelling mind it would take smoking a telephone pole's worth to get a buzz. It could be a source of cheap and abundant fiber for making ropes, paper, even biodiesel! But the DuPont company (with the abundant interest in nylon), and the paper companies (who would lose money if paper was cheaper) have a vested interest in keeping up the "hemp=pot" party line.

I don't toke up. I got myself hot-boxed in college (high off the second hand smoke) because of a small room and a big party. Honestly, can't say I object. The buzz was quite nice. Better than being drunk, certainly.


Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Marijuana: Should it be legalized?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.