lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [WIP] The Coruscant Mod
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #41
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quanon: i notice you're making skybox textures but would it not be better to use stock photos of real night skies, or sunsets? after all, this is a non-commercial venture and i know a number if places where you could get that sort of thing. it would not be too hard to then incorporate it into what you're doing i think.
Salzella is offline   you may:
Old 07-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #42
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella
Quanon: i notice you're making skybox textures but would it not be better to use stock photos of real night skies, or sunsets? after all, this is a non-commercial venture and i know a number if places where you could get that sort of thing. it would not be too hard to then incorporate it into what you're doing i think.
Great tip : been thinking the same , cause I want to add buildings aswell and maybe photos of real clouds will work better overall .

Here's what I got for a 2.0 version :

And everything in one long piece:

TIQUILAAAAAAAA

Last edited by Quanon; 07-15-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Quanon is offline   you may:
Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #43
Coola
Rookie

Its looking real good, keep it up. The glow should add a nice effect.

With the buildings though, remember theres already a lot of buildings in the Taris module, so you really cant see too well.

Oh also, I think we need a top texture as well

Visit the Home of the Coruscant Mod!
The Main Site - The Forums - The Teaser Trailer - The Second Teaser
Coola is offline   you may:
Old 07-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #44
Salzella
areiK

yes exactly try this site for cloud photos. it requires signing up, but it's free, and the photos are amazing
sxc.hu
Old 07-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #45
Quanon

Quote:
yes exactly try this site for cloud photos. it requires signing up, but it's free, and the photos are amazing
sxc.hu
Thanks Salzella , it's a great site .

EDIT : Hey , I just tried to test my skybox-texture , but the game didn't use it.
I exported the orginal sky-textures : TSL-skytwr0001 to 0005 .
Then I pasted my own on top of the orginals , resized and saved them as TGA.
I didn't changed the name , after that I put all the 4 files into the override folder.

Thing is maybe kotorI doesn't like TGA of 32bits or did I extracted the wrong files ??? Anyway can anyone point me out to the right direction .

TIQUILAAAAAAAA

Last edited by Quanon; 07-11-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #46
sekan

It looks awesome

[size=1] My mods | My webiste
Are you trying to foooooool me?
sekan is offline   you may:
Old 07-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #47
Salzella
areiK

no problem. sorry i can't help with your problem, i know a lot about designing but next to nothing about this sort of stuff
Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #48
Coola
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon
Thanks Salzella , it's a great site .

EDIT : Hey , I just tried to test my skybox-texture , but the game didn't use it.
I exported the orginal sky-textures : TSL-skytwr0001 to 0005 .
Then I pasted my own on top of the orginals , resized and saved them as TGA.
I didn't changed the name , after that I put all the 4 files into the override folder.

Thing is maybe kotorI doesn't like TGA of 32bits or did I extracted the wrong files ??? Anyway can anyone point me out to the right direction .
Hmmmm, im not sure. Did you follow a tutorial on how to import the textures into the game?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #49
Quanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola
Hmmmm, im not sure. Did you follow a tutorial on how to import the textures into the game?
I've checked some of the tutorials here on holowan , Emperor Devons gives a good tutorial on how to create a new module and its textures . But I don't need a new module to test them .

So I just tried what works for items and armors , put your adjusted texture in the override folder , guess that doesn't work for sky-boxes .

Anyway I tested the look in Jedi Academy ; it's a bit easier to mod that game
I'll need to re-cut my texture , there's a weird white line some-where .

EDIT : A newer version of the skybox :

TIQUILAAAAAAAA

Last edited by Quanon; 07-15-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #50
Salzella
areiK

that looks good, but maybe some colouring on the stars? if you use photoshop, try the 'pastel' gradient map set and play with layer modes, or colour balances. The buildings also look a bit streched so maybe make them bulkier, and the colours more metallic? i'm thinking some sort of gun-metal grey myself, but it's your call. the effect looks good at the moment, nice job.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #51
GarfieldJL
Banned

There is a tutorial online for making starfields, can't remember where it was though, you may try that.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may:
Old 07-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #52
Quanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
There is a tutorial online for making starfields, can't remember where it was though, you may try that.
I have tons of tutorial links about making space scÚnes , but thx for the offer.

The buildings are from Kotor , I just extracted them with KotorTool , cut them out , fiddeled with the levels to make them darker .

I'll try to change the colors a bit and I might give them a small blur or I might scale them down a bit more .

THx for the manny replies .

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 07-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #53
Salzella
areiK

actually i've changed my mind about the size my problem with the colours is that just that they're a bit too saturated, they should perhaps be more 'industrial'.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #54
spyblade
Rookie

That looks really cool. The Jedi Academy GUI confused me at first. I've not played the game and thought someone had modded that, as well.

The texture looks really cool, though. Its a damn shame you can't get KOTOR to read the files. It seems a lot of people are having issues with tga files not showing up recently. I noticed in the post you said you saved the first file as TSL-skytwr0001. I am assuming this was just a typo, but you want to make sure it is saved as LTS_skytwr0001.tga. I am not sure if these are unused textures, but you may also want to try saving it as LTS_sky001.tga or LTS_sky01.tga.
spyblade is offline   you may:
Old 07-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #55
Quanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattz
That looks really cool. The Jedi Academy GUI confused me at first. I've not played the game and thought someone had modded that, as well.

The texture looks really cool, though. Its a damn shame you can't get KOTOR to read the files. It seems a lot of people are having issues with tga files not showing up recently. I noticed in the post you said you saved the first file as TSL-skytwr0001. I am assuming this was just a typo, but you want to make sure it is saved as LTS_skytwr0001.tga. I am not sure if these are unused textures, but you may also want to try saving it as LTS_sky001.tga or LTS_sky01.tga.
Great thinking matzz : I checked my spelling and it was OK , but I'll try your suggestions and see how the game reacts .

And here's already a bit different version , I changed the colors on the buildings , changed the levels of some star layers , etc ...

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #56
Coola
Rookie

Sorry for the late reply...Fantastic work! Now I just got to work on making the outdoor areas a bit darker. But I cant wait to try that skybox in the game. Might actually look like a DIFFERENT area for once

Old 07-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #57
Quanon

Great news ! The texture works in the game now ,thanks to matzz , he made me double check the sky names . I've looked it up in KotorTool again and indeed I found the right names I needed .

Do mind I still need to fix it , cause now you can see "The Box" where the module is in . I need to know what sort of shader I need to apply to texture to make it look as a real sky .

TIQUILAAAAAAAA

Last edited by Quanon; 07-15-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #58
Coola
Rookie

Awesome. It might actually look good with out a reskinning, but if i'm going to what colour scheme should I go for on the buildings and stuff?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #59
Salzella
areiK

i think grey with generally, like gun-metal or similiar, with cyan, yellow and orange for the lights on the buildings. you want to go for something realistic enough to be believeable but not too bland. quanon, might i suggest shading in the top areas of the box black, with opacity on 90% or similiar? it would make the 'box' effect look less obvious, andit's not like we'll be looking up there often. in fact, would you allow me to have a play with the .psd file? your choice of course, but i think it would be easier for me to show you how i think it should look rather than trying to explain it all.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #60
Quanon

Quote:
i think grey with generally, like gun-metal or similiar, with cyan, yellow and orange for the lights on the buildings. you want to go for something realistic enough to be believeable but not too bland. quanon, might i suggest shading in the top areas of the box black, with opacity on 90% or similiar? it would make the 'box' effect look less obvious, andit's not like we'll be looking up there often. in fact, would you allow me to have a play with the .psd file? your choice of course, but i think it would be easier for me to show you how i think it should look rather than trying to explain it all.
Sure , just send me a PM so we can exchange files easly .

Here's another mini-update , I changed the colors of the front row buildings , but lits still a bit dull looking . Cause I lost the colors of the lights in the buildings .
I'll redo this , cause I did this pretty fast .

TIQUILAAAAAAAA

Old 07-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #61
L0rdReV@n88

wow it really does look like a whole new area just by changing the skybox now if you can just get rid of the box effect it would be really awesome good work

"All thoughts are worth listening to, whether later judged to be of value or not."
-Thrawn
"When I roll up in Kashyyyk, I roll three Jedi's deep"
-mc chris
L0rdReV@n88 is offline   you may:
Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #62
Quanon

Its getting better , I sized down the buildings in the texture , some of them just looked to huge , compared to buildings closer to you.

And I'll redo the stars aswell , when youre walking around you can count their pixels .

The box effect almost dissapears when I do a good line-up of the 4 textures , those pics above I accidently numbered them wrongly .

All in all I still got some work to do , I'll dig-up the .VIS file aswell to alter the lightning a bit .

Anywayz , stay tuned for some more updates .

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 07-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #63
sekan

Sound great

[size=1] My mods | My webiste
Are you trying to foooooool me?
sekan is offline   you may:
Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #64
spyblade
Rookie

This looks great. I'm glad it was just a numbering order issue. Taris looks so different, it's very refreshing.
spyblade is offline   you may:
Old 07-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #65
Salzella
areiK

ok guys, here's my version: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59727540/
it may be too dark, so i can brighten it up, but that's pretty much how i visualised the skyline of a night-time coruscant. hope you like it credit to quanon for the original.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #66
Quanon

Quote:
ok guys, here's my version: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59727540/
it may be too dark, so i can brighten it up, but that's pretty much how i visualised the skyline of a night-time coruscant. hope you like it credit to quanon for the original.
Wow , thats fast and very nice !!!

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #67
Salzella
areiK

do you think that would be useable in-game?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #68
glovemaster
Now-a-days GroovyCarrot

Current Game: No time for games, sadly
Helpful! 
Wow thats awesome, remember that there is a top, roof texture that will need to flow nicely with that one however i think thats great And yeah that wil be useable but you would need to break it up into 4 *square* textures. Also just a reminder and i dont want to spoil your textures cause there all fantastic but, coruscant is *the* core world, you would expect alot of traffic and ships, platforms, cruisers, etc. Maybe you should consider adding some large platforms, and distant traffic into the textures. I say distant because you will find it easier to get away with the fact that they arn't animated.

If you're looking for any of the junk I did a few years ago; you can probably still find it all on filefront
glovemaster is offline   you may:
Old 07-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #69
Quanon

Ofcourse thats useable !

@GM : the size of the texture is 1024x4096 => so that makes 4 nice seperate peices of 1024x1024 . The only thing left to do is cut the big one up and make a matching UP-texture .

About the trafic , I think we could at a animated stroke or arc ( the front-row of buildings is flat , its just a texture put on a big circle around the 3D-walkable area ) .

We could do same , if we make a place-able , just half a cilinder , without top and bottom and texture it with an animated-texture wich is possible to do .
I just recently found a thread about animated textures for Kotor I and TSL .

And here's a reworked version , again :

EDIT : ow and version B with some more colour to the clouds .

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #70
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air

Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
I like them both but the first one seems more Corucant than the second, I'm not sure why.

Anyway, keep up the good work Quanon

Master Zionosis is offline   you may:
Old 07-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #71
glovemaster
Now-a-days GroovyCarrot

Helpful! 
Great work I think you could animated the texture but the file size is going to be massive! Anyways, keep up the ace work

And i agree with MZ ^ :P

If you're looking for any of the junk I did a few years ago; you can probably still find it all on filefront
Old 07-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #72
Salzella
areiK

even better, love what you've done with this one i'll leave the traffic etc to you
Old 07-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #73
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air

Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
even better, love what you've done with this one i'll leave the traffic etc to you
Ohh that's nice for Quanon, lol, no I'm kidding, it shouldn't be to hard to do it anyway, it would just be, (as glovemaster said), quite large in size.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may:
Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #74
Coola
Rookie

Woa...I had no idea how much this little request was going to grow. Awesome work you guys.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #75
Quanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola
Woa...I had no idea how much this little request was going to grow. Awesome work you guys.
Yeah ,this kind of stuff gets out of controle quickly

And it looks like I'm challenged to add some flying traffic .

I'll see what I can do about that , how many frames would it need ?? To get a nice flow .

I'll be back !

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 AM   #76
glovemaster
Now-a-days GroovyCarrot

Helpful! 
bear in mind that this traffic has to flow nicely and it has to flow with the skybox, i would say a few long lines of distant trafic moving over about 4 frames for each texture

Old 07-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #77
Quanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemaster
bear in mind that this traffic has to flow nicely and it has to flow with the skybox, i would say a few long lines of distant trafic moving over about 4 frames for each texture
Hey , just to post a screen from in the game . The stars keep bugging me , I'll see what I can find on real stars skys from photos .

And I had to raise my building layer up , cause before it was obscured by the first row of buildings ( wich suffer from a purple line on the outside ) .

And so I didn't get to start on the traffic yet , and the up texture is bit to dark aswell .

TIQUILAAAAAAAA

Old 07-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #78
BoredAdminMonky
Rookie

Been lurking on this thread for a little while now, all very good work I have to say :-)

My only concern for the new sky box is that there are too many stars visible. Coruscant is essentially one giant city, with artificial light pouring from every building. Light pollution would mean you wouldn't be able to see any stars with the naked eye. Ask any amateur astronomer, they hate populated areas for star gazing.

Looking forward to this being complete though. Will have to dust off the old copy of Knights and give it a whirl when it's done. Will it be compatible with the ord Mandell mod?

Posts only when wasted
BoredAdminMonky is offline   you may:
Old 07-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #79
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Amazing! Really, the skybox looks really good. You guys are artists! This gives the modules an unique look. I'll keep an eye out for this mod, and the progress of the skybox.
Miltiades is offline   you may:
Old 07-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #80
Quanon

Allright , a little more news about that darn skybox : After messing around with it some more I did the following :

1) Ditched the stars , they just looked like crap , nasty white spots and somehow they didn't help to creat much depth at all . And I took notice of a previous post about light polution , I thought of this , but I just added the stars cause Coruscant is some where in the centre of the galaxy . And there are a lot of stars in the centre , thightly pact -> So I thought there would be still some stars visible . But anyway I deleted the layer , the stars are out of business .

2) Started to distort and skew the clouds so that they are more or like in perspective getting smaller towards the horizon , this looked good in photoshop but in game its not really working that well .

Just check out for yourselfs :

I also looked at the orginal texture and noticed their perspective is applied on each of the 4 sides of the box . THis is where I got it wrong I applied perspective on the big one piece skybox .

So back to the drawing bord !!! the traffic will be added some time , when I can finannly stop fiddling with the sky

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > [WIP] The Coruscant Mod