lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Actually, what will push YOU to leave America?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Actually, what will push YOU to leave America?

I want to know what will push someone to leave America, rather than stating, "Oh no! America stinks! Move, move, move!"

You must always have plans in case, well, something terrible and unexpected happens, after all. And it seems a bit too nationalistic for my taste to stay in America no mater what. Shouldn't I ask what my country does for me, rather than what I do for my country?

But, eh, maybe you would want to stay in America. Here is a list of possible situations that America could go through.

1) America becomes a left-wing utopia (left-wingers will stay, right-wingers might be disappointed).

2) America becomes a religious right-wing utopia (religious right-wingers will stay, left-wingers might be disappointed).

3) America becomes run by Corporations outright (fiscal conservatives will stay, everyone else will whine)

4) America turns into a Third World Nation, a la Africa, with civil wars and poverty lines. Oh, and it loses its superpower status as well in the process. (EVERYONE will scream for help)

Will America goes through these situations? Unlikely. But, you always have to be careful...what if America loses World War III with China, for instance?

I don't know if I would leave for the first three situations, in fact, it may be that I may never even notice it...but for the fourth situation, you can bet I'm hauling myself over to China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Don't know about hauling @ss to the PRC, SS. It might just be as big a slag pile as the US at that point, assuming you survive such a war.

I'm not sure that there's really anywhere else to go. Much would really depend on how it translates into your daily life. Many would/do argue that America is basically a benign autocracy, regardless of which party seems to be in charge. So, we appear to have something roughly similiar to an alternating of #s 1 & 2. Also, given the manner in which $$ influences elections, we probably already have #3 as well. I guess I'll have to wait and see what's actually behind door #4 before I make any decisions.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
PazaakPrincess

Current Game: Fable 2, Oblivion
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I think 2 and 3 have already happened...so I've left

Call me Paz, PP sounds like you're p!$&ing on my head

My Kotor Fan Fiction
PazaakPrincess is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
What would push me to leave the US--if the laws are altered enough that my freedom of religion and/or speech is impaired enough that I can't speak openly of such things. At that point, the government has violated my fundamental rights and I'll need to seek another country where I can worship/speak safely and freely. That will likely be difficult to find, however.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
MdKnightR

I would have to say something similar to Jae's answer. I think that if the Christian Coalition or the Religious Right ever got the upper hand and made Christianity the state religion, I'd be packing my bags.

MdKnightR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
Weave

If I got forcefully deported or if the public authority was specifically after me... when things go bad (which will probably happen)...

If fascism or ochlocracy comes around the corner... i'll be ready to resist it...
By the way, MdKnightR... what amp do you have? Mesa-Boogie? Or a Peavy perhaps... (It complements the B.C. Rich's metalic tones) hahaha... i had to ask.

Dark Side and Light Side

Weave is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
Corinthian
Banned

To be honest, I doubt anything could push me to leave the United States. If the States degenerate far enough that I would want to leave, I don't really want to think about what the rest of the world would be like. Although a colonization program might persuade me to leave, not that it'll happen any time soon.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdKnightR
I would have to say something similar to Jae's answer. I think that if the Christian Coalition or the Religious Right ever got the upper hand and made Christianity the state religion, I'd be packing my bags.

Uh most of the Religious Right want nothing of the sort, besides that couldn't happen anyways if you study the Constitution. What some people on the right want is for students to be able to pray again at school (voluntary not forcing people into it). They don't want to make Christianity the state religion, in fact the Constitution wouldn't let them do that.

What would get me to leave well that's a tough one.

I'd be on the Verge of leaving if Hillary becomes President because I'm that concerned of what I believe she'll attempt to do.

I have nothing against the idea of a woman being President, however I do have something against Hillary specifically becoming President.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
It would take another idiot from Texas becoming President and giving a bad name to all Texans.

Not really nothing would get me to leave my home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
I'd be on the Verge of leaving if Hillary becomes President because I'm that concerned of what I believe she'll attempt to do.
Iím actually looking forward to a Madame President. Canít screw the county up anymore then the men have for the last 231 years. Also canít say if I agree with Mrs. Clintonís politics, but I know Iíll agree more with them then I do Mr. Bushís.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2007, 02:00 AM   #10
MdKnightR

Quote:
Uh most of the Religious Right want nothing of the sort, besides that couldn't happen anyways if you study the Constitution. What some people on the right want is for students to be able to pray again at school (voluntary not forcing people into it). They don't want to make Christianity the state religion, in fact the Constitution wouldn't let them do that.
Well, if you haven't noticed, our Constitutional freedoms have continually been whittled away for quite a while. The domestic spying program, gun control, and censorship are just a few examples of its erosion. Believe me, when government runs unchecked, it will do what it can to eliminate the Constitution.

And, as far as only wanting VOLUNTARY prayer in schools....that is already allowed. No one can tell a student or a teacher that they cannot pray. What is forbidden is a formal, state-sanctioned version (ie. a teacher leading a prayer session). The school system that I taught in for 7 years has a "moment of silence to reflect on the anticipated activities of the day" right after the Pledge of Allegiance. Anyone may pray or not as their conscience dictates.

Quote:
Afraid she'll do something that will further dilute the Constitution??? However, I would have to agree that her being in power scares the crap out of me. But, then again, I feel the same way about Nancy Pelosi being 2 bullets away from the presidency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weave
By the way, MdKnightR... what amp do you have? Mesa-Boogie? Or a Peavy perhaps... (It complements the B.C. Rich's metalic tones) hahaha... i had to ask.
I actually don't have an amp right now. I've been playing through a Line 6 GuitarPort on my computer. I started playing again back in December after years of neglect. I do have a 4x12 cabinet, but I have yet to get a head to power it. I am looking though. I would love to have a Mesa-Boogie, but that is way out of my price range. I've been looking at a Vox Valvetronix or even a Line 6 Flextone. Until then, the GuitarPort will have to tide me over.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #11
Reclaimer
Loves Keira Knightley.

It's already pushed me to leave. I'm uncomfortable with the way the country is going, and the law enforcement believes they are gods. I mean seriously, I was arrested for being "suspicious." I mean, come on? America is falling through the roof.

So now I'm waiting for 18 to come, then it's either Britain or Japan I'm moving to.

philla は陰茎のハハのwat の名前をであるそのlmfao のゲイの名前吸う
Reclaimer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
PazaakPrincess

Current Game: Fable 2, Oblivion
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Britian isn't much better these days. They arrest people under the Counter Terrorism act daily for the most ludicrous un-terrorist like behavior, not to mention outlawing peaceful public protest in certain areas of the capitol.

Call me Paz, PP sounds like you're p!$&ing on my head

My Kotor Fan Fiction
PazaakPrincess is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'll be staying in Canada, thanks!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
Reclaimer
Loves Keira Knightley.

I've looked at Britain, and I'm beginning to agree with you PazaakPrincess. I'd rather go to Japan (Cheap manga FTW!!) or Canada (A little more expensive, but once you've become a citizen, it should be all good.)

So I don't really know, I still gota few years before I make that decision.

philla は陰茎のハハのwat の名前をであるそのlmfao のゲイの名前吸う
Reclaimer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #15
Weave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclaimer
It's already pushed me to leave. I'm uncomfortable with the way the country is going, and the law enforcement believes they are gods. I mean seriously, I was arrested for being "suspicious." I mean, come on? America is falling through the roof.

So now I'm waiting for 18 to come, then it's either Britain or Japan I'm moving to.
Well, Japan is extreamely americanized. My mom lived in Switzerland for a while and she said it was really nice.

Quote:
I actually don't have an amp right now. I've been playing through a Line 6 GuitarPort on my computer. I started playing again back in December after years of neglect. I do have a 4x12 cabinet, but I have yet to get a head to power it. I am looking though. I would love to have a Mesa-Boogie, but that is way out of my price range. I've been looking at a Vox Valvetronix or even a Line 6 Flextone. Until then, the GuitarPort will have to tide me over.
Well, i've been using a fender tube for the last three years for my epiphone les paul... and it's pretty much dead... i'd like to have a marshal or mesa-bogie... i wish they made amps like they did back in the day... they may look like $h!* but they last a loooooooong time. You have any foot pedals?

Dark Side and Light Side

Old 07-14-2007, 01:37 AM   #16
MdKnightR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weave
Well, i've been using a fender tube for the last three years for my epiphone les paul... and it's pretty much dead... i'd like to have a marshal or mesa-bogie... i wish they made amps like they did back in the day... they may look like $h!* but they last a loooooooong time. You have any foot pedals?
Nah. The GuitarPort has them all built into the software. Of course, you can't control them with your feet, but you can at least get the sound you're after. If I get a traditional tube head, I'll have to get a Line 6 Pod or Behringer V-amp for my effects. If I get the Line 6 head, all I'll need is a 4-channel switch pedal.

We probably better stay on topic! WHAT HAPPENED?!? This thread had 2 pages the last time I checked. Now it's lost some posts!

edit - Nevermind....I just got my wires crossed.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:50 AM   #17
Empress Padme
Forumite

If Bush finds a way to stay President then I am moving to Canada.

you can find me here since I have left LF :

http://starwarsknightscouncil.com/
Empress Padme is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2007, 01:52 AM   #18
Weave

yeah hahaha...
But like i said... if anyone really wants to leave america... check Switerland out... then tell me about it hahaha...
no, i'll probably stay here clinging to what many would consider to be a false sense of hope.

Dark Side and Light Side

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Actually, what will push YOU to leave America?