lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Official Harry Potter 7 thread [Spoiler Warning (duh!)]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-23-2007, 03:44 AM   #41
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
I haven't read 6 or 7 and I don't think I'll have time in my reading queue. So I just totally spoiled it for me and read synopsis' for both books on wikipedia. Saved me a lot of time. Problem is that when I read novels, I read it word-for-word and never skim or skip around. So I always read really slow.

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #42
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
I finished it very early this morning, I think it took me about 7 hours to read.
...robot.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #43
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.

You guys are slow readers.

That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #44
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I read the internetz faster than novels.

Unless they are boring school assigned kind. Then I read it fairly fast.
RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #45
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
You guys are slow readers.
I'm a slowish reader and my attention span is rather poor, so I'm lucky if I ever get past 100 pages in a single reading.

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #46
TiE23
Get bent!

Forum Veteran 
I can't read more than an hour in one sitting usually. Though I did read Musashi for like 2 hours one night.

-----------
27 Books Completed
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #47
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Finally had the chance to read it. Spent about 9 hours from beginning to end, and it was awesome. I'm really excited to see Movie 7. Gonna have all sorts of wizard action in it.

[Serious Spoilers]
spoiler:
I thought the last chapter was a bit overkill, but it was alright in that corny, sentimental sort of way.

I was kinda disappointed Luna wasn't mentioned in the epilogue, she's grown on me since Book 6.

And the part where McGonagall brought all the suits of armor and stuff to life was awesome.

And two words: Professor Longbottom.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #48
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.

You should welcome your new circuit-enhanced overlords.

On an analytical note... I thought some of Rowling's writing was weird this time around, I dunno if it is the fact that I'm getting into more literature cause of school but certain bits of writing just stick out to me...

spoiler:
Please... Molly Weasley... gah... lame... and also Harry standing over his "enemy's shell" lololol Harry wow what a hardass -_-

That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #49
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Finally finished reading it. It took me a long time to read it. I had work, in which I couldn't read. The longest outing I read for was about 4 hours from 12:30 AM to 4:30 AM on Monday morning, but I only read about 100 pages or so in that time. And I did read non-stop. So, I'd say I am a fairly slow reader, but I did want to get every detail into it.

I thought I was a fantastic book, but I didn't care for the epilogue. I think the movie has the potential to be amazing and the best movie of the series as long as it's done well.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #50
BongoBob
Good Eye, Sniper

Current Game: BC2, FFXIII
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, I don't read, but there are those books where I'll spend the whole time reading it from start to finish. Spent like 5 hours straight reading Ghosts Of Onyx, and have been reading the Janet Evanovich novels recently, and those are really good, and I've read those all in one shot. Not as big as harry potter and they take me about 4 hours each or so.

I'm a reader that doesn't like to read >.> <.<

BongoBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #51
The Seeker

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!

The entire book was great. Had that dark, near hopeless feel all the way through with a
spoiler:
brilliantly satisfying ending

No complaints whatsoever. I wonder if Rowling will write anything else now, or retire with a perfect record.

And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
The Seeker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #52
milo
[]D [] []V[] []D [] []\[]

spoiler:
Fred! ;_;

"I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now,
Even though you broke my heart and killed me.
And tore me to pieces...
And threw every piece into a fire.
As I burned, it hurt because
I was so happy for you." - GLaDOS
milo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #53
Crow_Nest
Forum Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker
No complaints whatsoever. I wonder if Rowling will write anything else now, or retire with a perfect record.
She said she might make an 8th book for charity. This time on the stuff which arent in any of the books, kinda like an "encyclapedia" of some sort. (Read it on today's paper)

Xbox 360 Gamertag: cr0wnes7
Crow_Nest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #54
MTV2
It's all our turf

Helpful! 
the only thing i dont understand about the book is at the end when:

spoiler:
one of harry's kids goes on the train and says that Ted Lupin is snogging Victoire when its nineteen years later and Ted Lupin should be out of school by then and not on the Hogwarts Express. i also hate how he named his 3 kids James Potter, Lily Potter and Albus Severus Potter. thats just stupid. and why didn't he marry Cho Chang or some other woman? I hate the Weasleys, they're horrible. damn blood-traitors. the other thing i dont understand is why didn't harry use the Killing Curse? like bull**** the Disarming Spell is going to overcome the Killing Curse. and the fight was too short, i expected something like what happened in the Graveyard in the 4th book, just better. not just a clash of 2 spells and curses and then Voldemorts done with. i think that she rushed it alot. everything seemed quite short and fast. though i did like the book, just could be better though
MTV2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #55
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well, this is going to be a fun post to make. I hope I don't miss a spoiler tag. heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV2
spoiler:
one of harry's kids goes on the train and says that Ted Lupin is snogging Victoire when its nineteen years later and Ted Lupin should be out of school by then and not on the Hogwarts Express.
spoiler:
Well, many seniors in high school are 19, which is the age Teddy would be. His birth was late in the year, as I recall so maybe he started school "late" because of how his birthday fell. Scratch that.

I double checked. This is correct:

Its also possible he was just there to see her off. I don't recall ever reading friends and family were not allowed on the train before it departed...
I donno... Thats all I can think.

Quote:
spoiler:
i also hate how he named his 3 kids James Potter, Lily Potter and Albus Severus Potter. thats just stupid.
spoiler:
I liked Albus Severus Potter, but I thought it would have been nice to name one of them Fred... Maybe thats James' middle name... I donno, could be.

Quote:
spoiler:
the other thing i dont understand is why didn't harry use the Killing Curse? like bull**** the Disarming Spell is going to overcome the Killing Curse. and the fight was too short, i expected something like what happened in the Graveyard in the 4th book, just better. not just a clash of 2 spells and curses and then Voldemorts done with.
spoiler:
I felt that as well when I first read it, but the realization quickly hit me. I admit it, I smiled "out loud..." Harry didn't need to use the Killing Curse AND he knew it. The Elder Wand was rightfully Harry's. Remember, Rowling made a point in the book that a wand will not be as powerful as it should be for anyone but is rightful owner, nor would it turn on its owner. Since that was Harry, he didn't need to fear it.

Also, the scene was about power. Harry had all the power. He knew it. Riddle felt it. Harry had the upper hand. I thought it was great because of how much Harry feared Voldermort up to that point, but when the time came for the final showdown, Harry wasn't facing Voldermort "The Dark Lord", he was facing Tom Riddle, the man. Notice how Harry never calls him Voldermort during the fight.

For seven years, Harry overcame great obstacles with the help of his friends, a little luck, and a lot of courage. But he never really was the hero people expected him to be until he made the decision to sacrifice himself to save the people he loved. At that point, he became The Hero. When he had the choice to come back, Voldermort had lost all his mystic. Harry even tried to save Riddle's soul, even after all he had done.

Remember too, that Harry was know for the Disarming Spell.

Anyway, yea... that about sums up my feelings for the fight. I was expecting something more as well, but upon further reflection, I think it was beautifully done and the perfect way to end it.

Though, I do have to agree... I don't know what, but the book was missing something. I just can't seem to put my finger on it... Maybe its just my disappointment that the story ended... or maybe not.

Last edited by Bob Lion54; 07-27-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #56
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
spoiler:
and why didn't he marry Cho Chang or some other woman?
spoiler:
Well, Cho and Harry broke up in the Order of the Phoenix because Harry wanted to bring her to meet Hermione to have an interview with Rita Skeeter. In the sixth book, they seemingly just ignored each other. And if IIRC, Cho is one year ahead of Harry, so that's why we didn't hear of her in the final book. (though, I may have to double check that)

And I just made sense that Harry and Ginny were together since they were at the end of the sixth book. But Harry stopped the relationship until Harry defeated Tom Riddle/Voldemort. And as you have read he did.

And it really wouldn't have made sense that he marry an unknown character since Harry really only had an intimate relationship with Ginny.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #57
MTV2
It's all our turf

Helpful! 
hmmm. i see.

im going to have to read this book over again, i remember when i read the 5th book a second time and found out a bunch of stuff i didn't understand before.
Read:
spoiler:
the Harry/Ginny relationship makes sense to me now. but not really the Ron/Hermione relationship, seems to Cliché or something, and it left me disappointed.i knew that Hermione wouldn't marry Krum, but she never met anyone else that she liked which seems odd for a woman of her stature.

the duel between Harry/Tom is a bit clearer now, but then again, go back to the 4th book, how did Harry stop the Killing Curse there? and how did a Priori Incantatum occur when that happened? i loved the part where he explained everything to Tom in front of everybody, I've read that part countless times. I think she did that long speech so that the battle would feel short and watered down.

I'm going to have to re-read the Epilogue, i just found out that Victoire is the daughter of Bill and Fleur.

aha. i found out why the Elder Wand would not kill Harry. Harry is the Master of the Elder Wand and therefore, the Elder Wand cannot kill it's master or else no one would be it's master ever again.

I was so ....ed and sad that Tonks and Lupin died, there was no point of that. Teddy's going to be like Harry and Harry's going to be like Sirius.

Am i the only one that noticed the deaths of Vincent Crabbe and Colin Creevey?

Did anyone notice that Albus Dumbledore was 152 years old when he died?
MTV2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #58
TiE23
Get bent!

Forum Veteran 
Mysterious white blocks are covering the screen! Holy ****!

spoiler:
lol, hidden message.
big block!
big block!
big block!
big block!
big block!
big block!
massive block!
massive block!
massive block!
massive block!

-----------
27 Books Completed
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Old 07-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #59
MrWally
Gunslinger

Forum Veteran 
I was working at a camp up in northern Wisconsin for 3 weeks, but luckily there were some Staff leaders who went out at midnight and bought the book, and, since it was my day off following the night of the books release, they let me borrow a copy and read it. I finished it in a day, and, to say the least:

spoiler:
It was incredible.

I'll post more of my opinions/thoughts/questions later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2007, 05:29 PM   #60
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
spoiler:
Am i the only one that noticed the deaths of Vincent Crabbe and Colin Creevey?
spoiler:
zOMG! Big blocks!

Well, not really all of us went into much detail into the book. And honestly, the deaths of those two characters aren't really that significant.

Did anybody noticed that Zacharias Smith fled with all the underaged wizards?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:29 AM   #61
IG-64

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I just finished it, it took me 3 days, and that was only because I was trying to be moderate and make it last longer.

spoiler:
A very dark and rough book. But I thought it was great.

It was all very gripping, and sad, and surprising. I can ultimately say that I am satisfied with the entire Harry Potter series. Except for one little thing though.

I liked the way it resolved itself, but there's something about the epilogue that irked me. I usually don't like it when authors jump too far forward, and this was no exception. It just seemed too weird to think of Harry, age 36, with wife and kids and his married friends. It came up so abruptly that it's hard to make it sink in. I would rather have lingered much longer on the immediate effects of killing Voldemort, and how everything got settled down, and then gradually introducing what happens to everyone later, instead of springing it on you like that. However, it's not my book, and I'm not the one to decide how it ends. Once it does sink in, I think I'll be a little more satisfied with the ending. That might take another read-thorough though.
IG-64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #62
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
spoiler:
I read it on the day of release, and I really enjoyed it on the most part. The whole way through the book, I couldn't help but imagine it in movie form, and certain 'scenes' will be awesome to watch when the film finally comes out, if they get it right. The ending battle with spells flying everywhere and Professor McGonagall leading a charging herd of school desks, giants fighting etc etc, I can't wait. I was very sad to see Dobby and Fred die especially, I almost couldn't believe what I reading, but I guess death is inevitable if you are to keep it believable.

Only a couple of things bugged me. I felt the whole spending months in the tent dragged on a bit too long, and as IG said, it was hard to imagine an adult Harry with kids at the very end of the book, but you never know, maybe there will be a spinoff series of books starring Albus Potter and gang (fingers crossed). And yes, I was quite disapointed with the Harry vs He Who Must Not Be Named ending battle, if you can call it that, but after thinking about it, it would have been hard to top the Dumbledore vs Voldemort fight in Order of the Phoenix, plus Harry isn't a very advanced as a wizard (can just about cast a spell without having to say it out loud), and Voldemort would have easily have beaten him if it had been just a straight spell fight.

All in all, Rowling is undoubtedly one of my favourite authors ever, and I've loved the whole series.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > Official Harry Potter 7 thread [Spoiler Warning (duh!)]