lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: For Kotor 3: What do you want to be canon?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
shadowtrooper69
Rookie

For Kotor 3: What do you want to be canon?

the title basicly says all, do u want the main character canon darkside for a change? or do u want to stay lightside? id be darkside (darkside rules all )
shadowtrooper69 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
John Galt

Hrm... Canon grey would be interresting.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #3
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

No canon. Ever. Canonize LS and the DS folks will scream. Canonize DS and the LS people will scream. Canonize Gray and we'll all scream.

We had no canon fate in TSL. So, no need for canon in K3, if it ever comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
i_shot_the_jedi
Rookie

Didn't we? I heard that the Exile was a light side female...

Personally, I really don't mind what Lucas Arts puts the 'canon' as, just as long as there's a good story behind it all; and that I get to make the choices I made in the previous games.

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Shallow minds discuss people.
Which are you?
i_shot_the_jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
One of the reason's for canon in the video game was so the character's could crossover into books or films, or be "Marketed", and apart from a one shot comic flashback, a soon to be released toy, and source book material,(a result of the canonization) neither hero has featured anywhere, so IMHO canonizing the PC is not needed, in fact it causes more arguments than anything else.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Corinthian
Banned

Too late, Silent Scope. Canon is already in effect.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Lord Foley

Really, I think I would rather see the story and play the game before I answered this question.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
shadowtrooper69
Rookie

i wasn't forcing people to post was i?
shadowtrooper69 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I kind of like the system they have now...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Well what if next to the option, LucasArts puts canon in parenthesis next to the choice they choose as canon, but you still have the choice of not following it.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
If they never state the general events of K3 (Dark Side or Light Side, ect), then it will leave an unneeded hole in continuity. I would have preferred that the Exile was male instead of female, but I'm still glad that they actually made a decision. I understand that the game is for the players to play through and the events are for them to shape, but there should still be a specific continuity.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 07-17-2007 at 10:23 AM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #12
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
One of the reason's for canon in the video game was so the character's could crossover into books or films, or be "Marketed", and apart from a one shot comic flashback, a soon to be released toy, and source book material,(a result of the canonization) neither hero has featured anywhere, so IMHO canonizing the PC is not needed, in fact it causes more arguments than anything else.
I also subscribe to this school of thought. Unless LucasArts or other Lucasfilm entities plan on using Revan and the Exile in some sort of media in such a way where gender and alignment will need to be established (e.g. major roles in novels and/or comics) then IMO they shouldn't be "canonized" thus allowing fans of the games to have "their" Revan and Exile to be whatever gender and alignment they want. Unfortunately canonization of these two characters has already occurred so this is pretty much a moot point.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #13
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

No game canon but a LS canon for any crossover materials.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
Henz

I don't care about books or comics so they can cannonise what they like there. I want the game to be made as open as possible as to what you did previously.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #15
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
If they never state the general events of K3 (Dark Side or Light Side, ect), then it will leave an unneeded hole in continuity. I would have preferred that the Exile was male instead of female, but I'm still glad that they actually made a decision. I understand that the game is for the players to play through and the events are for them to shape, but there should still be a specific continuity.
That decision was actually 'fan's choice'. I myself as a fan am sticking with a male exile. So I'm sure that the game, should it EVER be made, might not show the exile or rather his face. That's right, I said "his face", gotta a problem with that anyone?

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #16
Corinthian
Banned

At this point, it's already canon that both Revan and Exile were Lightsiders, male and female respectively. They can handle KotoR 3 like that, or like they did TSL.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #17
Miles Edgeworth
Rookie

Sorry couldn't resist, but look at this:

"I was just wondering if you've been called upon to enter a canon ending to Knights Of The Old Republic II:The Sith Lords into the holocron."
―from poster Son Of Skywalker15

"No. We've avoided anything concrete about the canon ending. The only reason why we decided on a canon gender for the Revan and the exile was out of editorial necessity."
― Leland Chee
Miles Edgeworth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #18
Hipmonlee
Rookie

^Keep in mind that in The new essential guide to droids, the Exile is refered as "heroine", and plus, Malachor V is destroyed, which denotes Light side ending.
Hipmonlee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
Hawkstrong16

Just so long as Revan remains canon lightside and male then I'm happy.

(besides Revan sounds like a guys name don't you agree)
Hawkstrong16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #20
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Why does it matter to you what LucasArts considers 'canon' or not? Surely what they think the best gender/alignment combination is isn't going to impact how you can play your own game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #21
Irian
Rookie

Personally, I think, the story you are most likely to find (generally spoken, not specifically related to Kotor) is, that something bad happens and then the good guy(s) come and "beat" it. That's the most common story you can find, be it in ancient myths or modern criminal stories. And probably the reason it, that this is the story that most people want to hear. Star Wars is no difference, it's the same story, just told in another way. So I think, if there's a Kotor III, the most probable "main" story is, that something bad gets horribly beaten by a good hero or heroine. Probably there's a DS ending (or even way), but that's just to enhance the fun of playing it again and to convice some people who like the DS to play it, too. But the "real", canon story will very likely be the stame story as always: In the end, the LS wins - because that's what people want to hear.
Of course, perhaps the developers suprise us - but I don't think so. My personal experience tells me, that most people prefer to play a good guy - or at least, a grey one. Most of the people I know (online or in real life) prefer it and just play "bad" guys when they finished the first time with a good one.

What I hope is, that they don't discriminate one gender, like in Kotor II, where a female Exile never gets Battle Precognition. It's ok to give different things, that makes playing it again more interessting, but it should be roughly equal...
Irian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #22
Kas'!m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
No canon. Ever. Canonize LS and the DS folks will scream. Canonize DS and the LS people will scream. Canonize Gray and we'll all scream.

We had no canon fate in TSL. So, no need for canon in K3, if it ever comes out.
I argee
Kas'!m is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #23
Irian
Rookie

I'm surely no canon expert, but the Wookiepedia seems pretty sure, that Exile is female and a "heroine" (according to "The New Essential Guide to Droids"), so it seems pretty canon to me, that Exile was a LS female Jedi. Of course, the quote from Leland Chee sounds otherwise, but then "heroine" was really badly choosen word...

Personally, I would like to see a canon ending, even if it differs from my prefered ending. Somehow, I need a "canon" for a universe like Star Wars, esp. because I plan to gm an "Old Republic" campaign in the future *g*
Irian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #24
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
I supose that depends upon who the main character in KOTOR3 is.
If its a new main character, then I would like to see a Darkside canon, after already having Revan and Exile both turn out Lightside.
If its Revan or Exile...then they already have a canon.

Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #25
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
I also subscribe to this school of thought. Unless LucasArts or other Lucasfilm entities plan on using Revan and the Exile in some sort of media in such a way where gender and alignment will need to be established (e.g. major roles in novels and/or comics) then IMO they shouldn't be "canonized" thus allowing fans of the games to have "their" Revan and Exile to be whatever gender and alignment they want. Unfortunately canonization of these two characters has already occurred so this is pretty much a moot point.
Revan's featured in Darth Bane: Path of Destruction in a Holocron. In the novel, Bane learned Revan's history and it's mentioned that Revan eventually defeated Malak and helped the Republic defeat the Sith. For such things, I think, it's useful to have a canon gender and alignment.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #26
Gargoyle King
Veteran

I suppose "Canon" doesn't sit very well with the Kotor series IMO. Different players will use different dialogue combinations to fit there own style, for instance you may prefer to be a DS female Revan (like me) or a LS male character. Revan is like the Exile in which the devlopers didn't confine the character through one canonical idea and thus left it to the players to choose there own path for Revan and the Exile. In short it doesn't really matter what LA thinks is "canon" if K3 follows in the same vein of it's predecessors.

Well based on the comics etc. Revan does have a canon approach, and Wookipedia expresses what Revan's true likeness is supposed to be like but within the game series the canon of Revan doesn't really exist.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #27
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, We know that unfortunately Revan is LSM and Exile is LSF being canon. Now for the rest of the stuff I would like to see Visas alive(simple task of not killing), Brianna had been part of the crew, and that scumbag desciple being restricted to minimal plotline(ie NO seeing him as a Jedi master in future games).

Yes I hate that chap, but to be fair I understand his knowledge in history, so killing him off would be unfair as much as i want to see him dead much more so than Jarjar.

Obviously I would love to see the Return of the two Droids, and the follow up story on the secretive "unknown" Mandalore from Clan Ordos.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #28
Jediphile
Persona non grata

No canon in any KotOR game. Ever.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #29
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
No canon in any KotOR game. Ever.
Word!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #30
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Well, We know that unfortunately Revan is LSM and Exile is LSF being canon.
Yeah, Canon sucks, it really limits our imaginations. In K3 i think we need an original character with no canon whatsoever, perhaps leave the game off on some sort of cliffhanger to allow us to use our imaginations on "what happens next". Obviously to end it all the game will have to include the exile in Revan, or the last two ventures would have been pretty pointless; but whoever makes this game (i really hope it's getting made) will have to have a great imagination to make it even more enjoyable and more importantly, original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
and that scumbag desciple being restricted to minimal plotline(ie NO seeing him as a Jedi master in future games).
Or not seeing him at all!
I really didn't see the point in that character (what was Obsidian thinking?), besides Brianna was way cooler anyway.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #31
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

I don't really care what "canon" story they come up with. It won't affect the way I play my game or what I think about the main character.
Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #32
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sparrow
I don't really care what "canon" story they come up with. It won't affect the way I play my game or what I think about the main character.
Yeah, good point, as long as it's enjoyable right - it certainly didn't damage the last two.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #33
Masgrtgr
Rookie

The only things that are really canon in KOTOR are Gender and Alignment and romances. Every thing is else aside from a few exceptions (Ajunta Pall's Tomb) are dependent on the player's decisions.

What order did Revan & Exile visit the planets? Did Mission see her brother during K1? Did Revan actually fight any of the nameless Dark Jedi in the Star Forge? Did the Lost Jedi unlock their potential? What did the Exile do on the respective planets?

The Ajunta Pall bit in K2 is a exception because it assumes that A: Revan actually entered the tomb. B:That Revan fighting Pall is DS only (a LS character could get the question wrong and get attacked by Pall).

This is why I believe Dantooine and other planets won't be in K3. It's going to be hard for the designers to work around the fact that the fate of the planets is up to the players hands without canonizing things.
Masgrtgr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #34
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
The Ajunta Pall bit in K2 is a exception because it assumes that A: Revan actually entered the tomb. B:That Revan fighting Pall is DS only (a LS character could get the question wrong and get attacked by Pall).
Well, to be fair, it is assumed that a LS Revan would get the question right and does redeem Pall. Hence Kreia's disappointment in Pall's redemeption, as she felt it to be the betrayal of the self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #35
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masgrtgr
It's going to be hard for the designers to work around the fact that the fate of the planets is up to the players hands without canonizing things.
If at all the developers want a non-canon ending.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 AM   #36
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
Sure, have canon. but several different canons... Certain people can believe certain versions that are canon. for example, lucasarts makes several basic backround stories for the game- three for each of either male or female characters being either good, nuetral, or evil.
That would be 6 different 'possible' canon versions, and that way, everyone's happy- as long as they don't argue about which canon version should be the dominant canon version.
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #37
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I like the way they do it now. You can play the game any way you want, but I like that the games can tie into the larger chronology...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #38
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

I agree with Prime. They aren't limiting you to playing, you can still play as however you want. They need to do it for in cases like Darth Bane: Path Of Destruction and the New Essential Guides. By the way, I'm the poster that asked Mr.Chee about Kotor III ( I'm having my screename changed here to Son Of Skywalker15.) He also told me that once it becomes needed, they will officially canonize a Kotor II ending. A few months ago I asked Sue Rostoni is they has any plans for a Knights Of The Old Republic Era novel, and she replied "maybe." That is why they have canon, not to limit you. I'm going to play the game and see what clicks into the story better to decide.

Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2007, 01:17 AM   #39
Jvstice

Prime & SonofSkywalker15: Exactly the point to me. Canon as far as gameplay.. about as irrelevant as asking a 15 day old newborn what his or her favorite thing to do in all the world is. Its only worth is in later books and comics.

I'm interested in the canon due to "how will this set the stage for what happens between this game and that book that takes place _____ years later."
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #40
Obss Damell
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect 2/KOTOR2
the canon in TSL is LS female.

for a change id want DS male to be canon in K3.

Obss Damell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > For Kotor 3: What do you want to be canon?