lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Ultimate New Computer Thread
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #41
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
I think they use a PCI wireless card. Check your PMs, Kjølen.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #42
Kjølen
Resident Polak

Current Game: Monkey Island
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
All built in. I wouldn't even have mentioned it if I could has just tossed the card. These are problems that you might actually have to DEAL with.

EDIT: Sound is messed up. Wireless is worthless. Get external sound and wireless or live with a soundless notebook and ethernet connections. Working on it... Man, I'd forgotten how nice it is to type on a laptop keyboard. and the resolution is beautiful (1400x1050). Hmmm, it's currently stealing 128MB of memory from my RAM for the video card, though. Oh well, that can always be changed in the BIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett
Check your PMs, Kjølen.
Hey, hey! They're not supposed to know it's my time of the month. D:

"Kjølen is a pretty cool guy. 'e doesn't afraid of anything and 'e doesn't anything about anything."
―Kjølen

* Ye Olde Harbour * Aresen *

Last edited by Kjølen; 08-14-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Kjølen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #43
IG-64

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Well, I got an email from Dell earlier informing me that the shipping of my order has been delayed another week, so I probably won't get it before the school semester starts. :/

Oh well, I guess they need the extra time to build it.
IG-64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #44
Kjølen
Resident Polak

Current Game: Monkey Island
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Nah, Dell just sucks that way. At any rate, I'm still selling either that $350 machine or the upgraded $550 machine, if anyone's interested. I'm also selling an Xbox, GameCube, Nintendo 64, all with varying amount of games and controllers and prices.

"Kjølen is a pretty cool guy. 'e doesn't afraid of anything and 'e doesn't anything about anything."
―Kjølen

* Ye Olde Harbour * Aresen *
Kjølen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #45
IG-64

Update: I was just informed that my computer has been (finally) shipped today. It should arrive within a week. I am planning stress tests that I will post here when I get everything up and working.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #46
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Current Game: BF3
That is good to hear. I actually got my Dell Vostro 1500 12 days early, LOL. However, it had an issue - it froze randomly for 30 seconds to two minutes, no matter what applications were being used. The cursor still worked and all, (the circle timer appeared) but everything else froze, mostly. I spent days trying to fix it. Then, I did something embarrassing - I called Dell's Technical Support (I usually fix stuff by myself, so it was an embarrassment). However, after four hours on the phone with them, they had no idea what the problem was. In fact, even the most qualified technical experts there couldn't help. We did hardware diagnostics, and nothing showed up as damaged. However, those diagnostics don't account for much. So, I opted for a free exchange - the same exact computer, free of charge (free shipping and no taxes as well). The laptop came, and I am using it right now. It actually arrived on the 27th of August. It works great. It looks like the old one had hardware issues. I also got some CDs that I wasn't given last time for some odd reason (Windows Vista Business installation disc, Roxio disc, and Cyberlink DVD disc).

- PR-0927

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #47
The Seeker

Well, since I'm not a damsel, I built my own, thereby staying true to my vow to never buy a store bought, mass made PC again.

My specs are:
Intel Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz x 4

GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

4GB DDR2 RAM

370 GB SATA Hard Drives (120GB + 250GB)

Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU Cooler

700 Watt PSU

Windows XP (pass on vista thanks)

Along with the obvious DVD burner with lightscribe, super cool, whisper quiet case and all that

This rig is a beast that nothing can stop till bigger, faster hardware comes out in six months.

So, bow in wonder mortals. Bow in wonder.

And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
The Seeker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #48
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Damn, that is one hell of a rig. Mind sharing how much you spent on it?

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #49
IG-64

That rig is pretty good Seeker. And since you're gonna be all "bow in wonder" about it I might as well do a fair comparison.

My processor is better, runs at 3.2 GHz per core.

Your RAM is better, you have 4 GB, I only have 2. Sadly, upgrading to 4 would've added an extra $700 to the package. This is a sacrifice since important parts of 3ds max are RAM-heavy. I should be able to upgrade this in the future, however.

My GPU is marginally better, since I have the GTX and you have the GTS.

My Hard drive is betterer, I have the Hitachi 1TB *dances* X)

However, with the PSU and the cooling, I have no idea who's is better because I don't know what Dell put in it, which is one of the drawbacks to getting a pre-built. But they said their power and cooling system was enough to run the overclocked processor when I asked, so I guess they know what they're doing.

Oh, and I'm kinda iffy about Vista too, but I think I can put up with it now just for the DirectX 10 functionality (go cryENGINE2, go) until it gets better (like XP eventually did). Also, my current copy of XP is not the 64-bit one.

So now, mortals, decide who you want to bow to. Or we could just join forces and create an uber coalition of computing awesomeness to govern all the digital world.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #50
The Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Damn, that is one hell of a rig. Mind sharing how much you spent on it?
Well, to get it up and running, I spent $1025.10 on it. However, I got the hard drives, DVD-ROM, and the CPU cooler and XP disc from one of my other rigs that I was decomissioning, traded the awesome graphics card to put in mine for a lesser GeForce 6600 from said decomissioned rig.

So, what I bought up front was the CPU, Motherboard, PSU, DVD Burner, Case and RAM. If you add the Graphics card, Hard drives DVD-ROM and CPU Cooler, you would add another 600 or so.

But still, 1600 isn't bad for this kind of rig.

Forgot to mention that I got a motherboard with SLI support and 8GB RAM capacity for the future.

And IG-64...If we join forces, with our rigs, we could take over NASA and thus control the universe as well as the earth.

Also, I have yet to see a prebuilt rig that has upgrading in mind with the PSU or hard core cooling in mind with the CPU heat sink. But that's still a heavy hitting rig you go thtere.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #51
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I'm pretty sure the three of us are pretty much in the same specs department. OC'd Quad Core @ ~3GHz, 2GB RAM, 8800 GTX. All Seeker has to do is OC his Quad Core and he's all set (with some good cooling).

And for 1600, that's a pretty damn good deal.

I'm trying to convince my boss to get me a new desktop for work. The one I currently use moves like a snail.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #52
IG-64

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
I'm pretty sure the three of us are pretty much in the same specs department.

Welcome to the world of gentlemen, gentlemen.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #53
Sigundr
Forumite

Current Game: JKA
Lol. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 with 617 MB. I think that's scary.

"They are minor criminals! Marginal outlaws! You are inept!" ~ Darth Vader
Sigundr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #54
The Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
I'm pretty sure the three of us are pretty much in the same specs department. OC'd Quad Core @ ~3GHz, 2GB RAM, 8800 GTX. All Seeker has to do is OC his Quad Core and he's all set (with some good cooling).

And for 1600, that's a pretty damn good deal.

I'm trying to convince my boss to get me a new desktop for work. The one I currently use moves like a snail.
Meh, the way I see it is why would I stress my CPU when it runs everything without a hiccup. I see overclocking as something to do to lengthen the life of my PC when game's specs start overpowering my rig.

I'll OC when I can't run the latest games at the max.

And yeah, IG, it's a shame we're talking about computers here. If these rigs were cars, we'd be pimps. Ahhhh, the life of the techie.

OMG Jedi Knight 4!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:07 AM   #55
IG-64

Yeah, but we're future pimps.

The overclocking is one thing that I'm glad about with getting a Dell. I've never overclocked anything before and that's not something I want to test on that beast of a processor, so I'm glad they've done that for me.

Btw, I found out that the motherboard on my new comp will have 4 DIMM slots, 2 will be taken up. Also, the PSU is 750W. I still don't know what the cooling will be, but it should probably be sufficient, especially if they're overclocking stuff.

[EDIT] I got my comp in. So far 3ds Max is rendering a little over 10 times faster than my old comp. So, if I render something that takes 10 hours on my old comp, it'll render in under an hour on my new comp.

Oh, and I can play Oblivion with full settings with smooth 60-FPS

And I can play JKA with full settings and 300+ fps. (though, dynamic glow currently doesn't work. D: )

Last edited by IG-64; 09-12-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > The Ultimate New Computer Thread