lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: UVW unwrapping questions...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
SithRevan
Veteran

Helpful! 
UVW unwrapping questions...

Hey guys I have kinda a stupid qurestion... when you unwrap a model's UVW map can you make the image that is used for the texture any bigger or no?

Like for instance you have a texture 256x256 pixels large and you took that texture in an image editor, made a new image that was 512x512 pixels large, turned the background black and pasted the old 256x256 image into the new image, would that whole new image, even though it was 4 times the size of the old one, work and would you be able to see the black part in the UVWmap editor?

I hope this makes sense, sorry if it doesn't.

I have defied gods and demons.
I am your shield, I am your sword.
I know you; your past, your future.
This is the way the world ends...
-----------------------------------------
TAC-F v2.0 | Ubese Assassin's Armor | TSL: Warp Console v1.0 | Auto K1 DS Transitioning | Deralia Spaceport[TSL&K1] | Kotor2Files.com Co.Manager | K1RP: Kotor I Restoration Project
SithRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
T7nowhere
Did you reset?

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
16x16 or 1024x1024 the UVmap would use the entire texture space. size matters not
T7nowhere is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
SithRevan
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by T7nowhere
16x16 or 1024x1024 the UVmap would use the entire texture space. size matters not
Thats odd, the texture I'm trying to use is 413x413 and it has 2 textures on it, one that is a face texture and another that is part of the head. When I try to apply it as the texture though only the head part of the image shows up. I'm wondering why this is?

TAC-F v2.0 | Ubese Assassin's Armor | TSL: Warp Console v1.0 | Auto K1 DS Transitioning | Deralia Spaceport[TSL&K1] | Kotor2Files.com Co.Manager | K1RP: Kotor I Restoration Project
Old 08-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithRevan
Thats odd, the texture I'm trying to use is 413x413 and it has 2 textures on it, one that is a face texture and another that is part of the head. When I try to apply it as the texture though only the head part of the image shows up. I'm wondering why this is?
I've been out of the game (modding/modeling) for a while now, but from what I can gather, it sounds like you're trying to apply 2 separate textures to 1 model. It sounds like you have 2 textures "face texture" and "head texture" and you're trying to apply them to separate parts of the models, but you probably only have 1 mesh, so only 1 of your textures is being used. However, just typing that makes me confused as I haven't done this in over a year, so don't take my word for it, sorry.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
T7nowhere
Did you reset?

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
You can't just combine two separate textures and expect them to work the way you want them to on the model. You will need to redo the UVWmap on the model.

Also 413x413 is NOT a valid texture size.128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024
T7nowhere is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
SithRevan
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by T7nowhere
You can't just combine two separate textures and expect them to work the way you want them to on the model. You will need to redo the UVWmap on the model.

Also 413x413 is NOT a valid texture size.128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024
Ahhh, I think you just answered my question right there. My model's texture size was 413x413. I did not know a texture had to be a specific size.

Thank you both for the help.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > UVW unwrapping questions...