lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Wish I could play Grim again..
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-26-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
gazzyace
Lurker

Unhappy Wish I could play Grim again..

Hey there folks , I absolutley love Grim Fandango and played it when it was first released a zillion years ago and still is a fav of mine but since I have a new computer it won't even install. All I get is this stupid mesg.. "The Win 16 Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode,DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH." Like whats that??!!! Im no puty wiz and any help that could get me to play this amazing game again would be great. I so miss Manny and Glottis , I have Windows XP Media Version , Toshiba laptop 2GHz Processor ,1 GB Ram ,128 Vid Ram blah blah , and on my 24" ext screen man oh man the land of the dead would look sooooo cool but... *sigh* anyway any kind peeps out there that can offer some assistance would be much appreciated.
Take care.. Gaz
gazzyace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
ZaXeriaw
The cake is a lie!

I think it should've ben posted in "Glottis' Garage", but what the heck. You have tried to install tha patch, and change the game to play in win98-mode? Don't if it works, but maybe. Haven't tried to play it on xp or vista yet...

What'd **** !?!?
ZaXeriaw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
Sallim
Forumite

Quote:
I have Windows XP Media Version
I guess thats the problem here. Its hard to say whats wrong, maybe someone else can hopefully help you.
Did you tried to find some infos about XP MCE and how to play games? might help, good luck

- supreme pleasure -
Sallim is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Always try "Compatibility Mode" before you give up with any game. Install the patch, and see what happens in the "compatibility mode" (try compatibility w/ Win 98). Good luck!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
King Dando
Forumite

I had a problem similar to this when I had to install the game on Xp Service Pack 2, which involved the AUTOEXEC.NT becoming corrupted. All I did was find a new copy of the file (AUTOEXEC.NT), from a website which.....I can't remember and placed it into the System32 folder, overwriting the old one in the process

King Dando is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
stewlil
Rookie

Don't Give up!

"There's nothing better than spitting in the face of someone that hands you an ultimatum." Deron Miller of cKy
stewlil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Do you happen to know if your operating system/processor is 64-bit? I believe Grim Fandango has problems with being installed on a 64-bit operating system as although 64-bit Windows can run 32-bit applications like Grim Fandango in a kind of emulation mode, it can't handle the 16-bit installation software that most older games use.

I'm sure this has been covered before and ways were found to bypass the installer, although I really can't rmemeber what they were. My advice would be to try searching for '64-bit' or perhaps just '64' in this forum, or Googling 'Grim Fandango 64 bit', and seeing if you can find a way to do it. I think it involves dragging files over from the CD.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Land of the Dead > Wish I could play Grim again..