lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Greek forest fires
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Greek forest fires

For those who have not caught this yet, there are several huge forest fires raging in Greece, and they've claimed at least 60 lives so far. Authorities are starting to hunt for arsonists, stating that the fires were deliberately started. Catching arsonists will earn you a 1 million Euro award.

Myself, I do indeed find it strange that so many major fires should start simultaneously in such a big area. I'm not 'OMG da terrorizts r coming get ur gas masks!!!11!!11'-type of person, but this is eerie. According to BBC:
Quote:
The fires could have been started as a way of getting around Greek law which forbids development on areas designated as forest land.
Makes you lose faith in humanity.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Fredi
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
they've claimed at least 60 lives so far
DAMN!!!.... Thats nasty...

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Nancy Allen``
Banned

I'm quite hot under the coller, pardon the pun, about people who light fires stand back and get their rocks off. These animals should be made to fight the fires they light, risk their lives the same as the real Supermen do to stop the threat they had caused. That or arsonists should be fed right into the flames they created, that's what I'd like to see happen. Realistically it never would but making them fight fires, especally the ones they lit, that should be put into place. They like fires so much they can see them up close.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
John Galt

I see this around here more and more, pyros lighting up the hills just for kicks. Makes me sick.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Nance actually has a point. 'Conscripting' arsonists into the fire department might be a decent way to deal with them. Or perhaps not.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
I agre with Nancy, only I would like to sentence them to work in the russian parachuting firefighters for at least 10 years. It should teach them not to do it again, while helping the firefighters with an impossible job at the same time.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Don’t get me wrong Nancy I like your idea, but from a purely psychological point of view I don’t know what the ramifications would be from putting an arsonist around fire. Might be like putting the inmates in charge of the asylum.

Arsonist doing arson for financial gain I can see no problem with putting them to work fighting fires, but those that might have some type of mental illness, I’m not so sure about putting them around fires.

In reading about arsonist I found it weird that an environmental group would resort to arson, but according to Wikipedia they do. Earth Liberation Front
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Makes you lose faith in humanity.
Shouldn't it make you lose faith in fire?

Or at the least, hope for the day when all society gets digtalized and turn into forums? At least then, all that hatred and violence would just be "flame wars" on a online forum, and only people's feelings, not lives or very important property? We won't end hate, but the hate would have no meaning and be utterly useless.

And I'm not okay for conscripting arsonists into Firefighting (however ludcrious the proposer knows it is). Cruel and unusual punishment, plus they are arsonists. A Note: I've talked to a local firefighter who claims that most Firefighters actually like fires, hence why they join Firefighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Arsonists like watching things burn like alcoholics like to drink alcohol. They have pyromania and would get in the way of firefighters trying to do their job, and might actually make things worse by trying to set more fires if they were on the front lines.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 AM   #10
Rogue Warrior
Banned

By rights they should have the book thrown at them, add to the charge of arson destruction of property, murder, everything you can get on the weasels.
Rogue Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Greek forest fires