lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Do you think K3 will have DX10 graphics etc?
Yep 45 65.22%
Nope 24 34.78%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: DX10 for KotOR 3?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
DX10 for KotOR 3?

I wasn't quite sure where to put this poll, so a mod can feel free to relocate it if must be...

I think K3 will be DX10, especially now that we've waited so long already for news of it, if it's getting made I think it deserves a next gen engine and all that, maybe make use of Euphoria and DMM and such.

Discuss...



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
SykoRevan
Junior Member
 
SykoRevan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere with ice cubes and alot of pudding.
Posts: 313
Well, for a RPG game like the KotOR series, engines like Euphoria and Digital Molecular Matter don't seem necessary since extreme interaction with the environment doesn't generally happen. Although I do agree that it definitely needs a next-gen look to it. Anything less will just be ridiculous in this day and age, with everything coming into the next-gen.

SykoRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
darthcarth
Junior Member
 
darthcarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On the USD Imperium
Posts: 265
Sure having be a option is fine but making it require will doom its self.


EmpireFTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
darthcarth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
This could work in either forum but seems to fit a little better in The Unknown Regions so I moved it here. Carry on!

I think it'd be cool to have DX10 options for sure.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air
 
Master Zionosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: High In The Sky
Posts: 1,280
Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
I vote yes, I really want to see KotOR in amazing graphics.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
Char Ell
Force Enlightened
 
Char Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,368
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I think KotOR 3 would be great with DirectX 10 but I don't want to upgrade to Windows Vista until I'm ready. As long as DX 10 KotOR 3 doesn't come out until after I've upgraded to Vista then I'll be fine. If not then that would put me in a bit of a pickle, wouldn't it?

Of course at the rate KotOR 3 appears to be going the next version of Windows may well be in public release before KotOR 3 ever makes it to store shelves.


Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!


Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air
 
Master Zionosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: High In The Sky
Posts: 1,280
Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Maybe I slightly misunderstood the question you posted, what I meant to say was I don't actually want to see KotOR III running with Direct X 10 as DirectX 10 is Vista only, and there is no way I'm getting vista, (in two words "ERROR CENTRAL"), what I meant was I'd like to see KotOR III running on a newer version of Direct X that runs on windows and is equal in graphical display.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 01:50 AM   #8
Janan Pacha
Rookie
 
Janan Pacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: GA
Posts: 40
I can't agree, I'd be just as happy if it was made with the exact same engine and look as the previous two KotOR games (With minor modifications and enhancements to the graphical aspects). Especially since that would make the modification of the game all the easier to add in the little touches that are usually fun to add in.

I just can't jump on bored the "It's gotta look better!!!! Pretty!!!!" band wagon. The previosu two games looked just fine. I don't need my games to look better or more realistic.

EDIT: I definitly don't want it to be a games for windows game. I don't want it to be a DX10 game. I don't ever Ever EVER want to have to even think of touching Vista. I want it to have nothing to do with the live service. I want nothing remotely connected to any of that MESS.

Anything that's a vista exclusive I steer away from like a plague.


An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.” - Oscar Wilde
Janan Pacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Yeah the question is: Do you think it will happen? Not: Do you want it to happen?

There's nothing wrong with Vista IMO, most of the people who have actually used it don't really find anything wrong with it, in fact they praise it!

DX9 has been around for aaages now, and it runs both K1 and K2, so I think it's time to move forward, the gaming industry isn't exactly known for standing still, we have to move on to better things, even if that means using DX10...



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
igyman
Tension!
 
igyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: White City
Posts: 3,412
Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
There's nothing wrong with Vista IMO, most of the people who have actually used it don't really find anything wrong with it, in fact they praise it!
That's not what I heard.

As for DX 10... Sure, if it'll work on Windows XP. I'm not touching Vista, no matter how pretty it looks, until I really really have to.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #11
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman
That's not what I heard.
I don't want to go into too much depth here, but who have you spoken to about it? People who know what they're talking about or a bunch of noobs who decided to buy a new system with Vista preloaded not knowing that they got done for cause their system is too sucky to run Vista? And they want to run stuff on it that isn't compatible with Vista yet because the right drivers aren't out yet for it (which is the manufacturer/developer's faul, not Vista or MS)



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #12
igyman
Tension!
 
igyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: White City
Posts: 3,412
Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Mostly people who know what they're talking about and I've also read some reviews. None of them were favorable. Then again, looking back similar stuff has been said for XP, so I guess that after a few service packs Vista will be a lot better.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air
 
Master Zionosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: High In The Sky
Posts: 1,280
Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
There's nothing wrong with Vista IMO, most of the people who have actually used it don't really find anything wrong with it, in fact they praise it!
That's an overstatement, I've talked to many people who have used Vista asking if it is worth getting and every single person who I asked had switched back to windows, they said don't bother there is so many bugs and it runs practically like ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
I don't want to go into too much depth here, but who have you spoken to about it? People who know what they're talking about or a bunch of noobs who decided to buy a new system with Vista preloaded not knowing that they got done for cause their system is too sucky to run Vista? And they want to run stuff on it that isn't compatible with Vista yet because the right drivers aren't out yet for it (which is the manufacturer/developer's faul, not Vista or MS)
Actually my dad is in the computer industry, not only that he travels around the world fixing high grade machines running all sorts of operating systems, Windows, Linux and Vista, and he has told me personally not to go anywhere near Vista, it's more trouble than it's worth, so when it comes to computers and their operating systems I'm hardly ever wrong, as most of my info on them comes from my dad, and he has no reason to lie about it, what's the point.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #14
Jaypee
Rookie
 
Jaypee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seekonk, MA
Posts: 25
If a new game comes out and DOESN'T support DX10 they are living in the past...the future is DX10...Vista is fine, i run it and being an Software Engineer, i can say i know my way around a computer, the main issue with Vista include the fact that its a new system and nubs need to learn it before they complain. Sure it has its bugs, which need to be fix. Have i been frustrated with it? hell yea, but same goes for XP at times. People are afraid of the unknown..and right now the Unknown=Vista.

Back on topic....havent you ever looked at game trailers of new shiny DX10 games and wondered...wow wouldn't Coruscant be killer with these graphics, wouldn't the lakes of Naboo or the plains of Dantooine look jawdropping and make you forget your actually at your computer and instead at those places...thats what the "pretty graphics are for...to make you totally engulfed in the landscape and universe you are playing in.
Jaypee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #15
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air
 
Master Zionosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: High In The Sky
Posts: 1,280
Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypee
If a new game comes out and DOESN'T support DX10 they are living in the past...the future is DX10...Vista is fine, i run it and being an Software Engineer, i can say i know my way around a computer, the main issue with Vista include the fact that its a new system and nubs need to learn it before they complain. Sure it has its bugs, which need to be fix. Have i been frustrated with it? hell yea, but same goes for XP at times. People are afraid of the unknown..and right now the Unknown=Vista.

Back on topic....havent you ever looked at game trailers of new shiny DX10 games and wondered...wow wouldn't Coruscant be killer with these graphics, wouldn't the lakes of Naboo or the plains of Dantooine look jawdropping and make you forget your actually at your computer and instead at those places...thats what the "pretty graphics are for...to make you totally engulfed in the landscape and universe you are playing in.
But aren't you forgetting about all the people who don't use Vista for the obvious reason I have stated, by the time KotOR is released they will probably be running on a newer version of DirectX anyway, that will run on windows, because there is absolutely no way I'm going anywhere near Vista, it will be like stepping into hell.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #16
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Zionosis
That's an overstatement, I've talked to many people who have used Vista asking if it is worth getting and every single person who I asked had switched back to windows, they said don't bother there is so many bugs and it runs practically like ****.
Who are these people? Are they all extremely knowledgeable about computers? Because if that was the case I think they would've thought twice about switching to Vista and done their research first maybe?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Zionosis
Actually my dad is in the computer industry, not only that he travels around the world fixing high grade machines running all sorts of operating systems, Windows, Linux and Vista, and he has told me personally not to go anywhere near Vista, it's more trouble than it's worth, so when it comes to computers and their operating systems I'm hardly ever wrong, as most of my info on them comes from my dad, and he has no reason to lie about it, what's the point.
That's your dad's opinion, I'm sure I can find someone who can list you dozens and dozens of benefits Vista has over XP (they might even be closer than you think )
Saying "You're hardly ever wrong" strikes me as an overstatement as it isn't you who is knowledgeable about it, but your dad, furthermore it is just his opinion as I have illustrated above, so it is hardly infallible...I'd rather stick with facts instead of rumors, opinions or gossip if you don't mind

I would suggest you check out this thread as we are getting a bit off topic here, point is, unless you can tell first hand of your experience with Vista or DX10, you can't have a personal opinion about it and you most certainly can't portray it as being ****

I suggest we leave it here, before a mod decides to clean up this mess and gets cranky with us, if you want to discuss it further, check the thread I posted above or PM me



Back on topic:
It would be cool to see the kind of next gen interaction as I've seen in the previews of Mass Effect, the ability to interrupt someone when they're speaking in particular would give great depth to a KotOR game IMO.



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #17
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,355
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Back on topic, lads. DX10 and K3. There is another thread about Vista in Alto...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air
 
Master Zionosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: High In The Sky
Posts: 1,280
Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
Who are these people? Are they all extremely knowledgeable about computers? Because if that was the case I think they would've thought twice about switching to Vista and done their research first maybe?




That's your dad's opinion, I'm sure I can find someone who can list you dozens and dozens of benefits Vista has over XP (they might even be closer than you think )
Saying "You're hardly ever wrong" strikes me as an overstatement as it isn't you who is knowledgeable about it, but your dad, furthermore it is just his opinion as I have illustrated above, so it is hardly infallible...I'd rather stick with facts instead of rumors, opinions or gossip if you don't mind

I would suggest you check out this thread as we are getting a bit off topic here, point is, unless you can tell first hand of your experience with Vista or DX10, you can't have a personal opinion about it and you most certainly can't portray it as being ****

I suggest we leave it here, before a mod decides to clean up this mess and gets cranky with us, if you want to discuss it further, check the thread I posted above or PM me



Back on topic:
It would be cool to see the kind of next gen interaction as I've seen in the previews of Mass Effect, the ability to interrupt someone when they're speaking in particular would give great depth to a KotOR game IMO.
As you say your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, but I would like to point out that I am sticking to fact not rumour or gossip, as I said my dad is family he has experienced Vista first hand and has told me about it, I would hardly call that 'rumour' or 'gossip'.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #19
90SK
Universal Figment
 
90SK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Somewhere...
Posts: 4,385
Current Game: Tetris
Well...I only voted yes because I already have Vista, so it doesn't matter either way (for the record, Vista hasn't given me any problems).

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #20
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
lolz just close this thread it's obvious we don't speak English around here...



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #21
stoffe
Mostly dormant
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,834
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Depends on when the game is released. If it's within roughly a year's time to a year and a half or so I doubt it would be a DX10-only game. To do so would be to limit their customer base of potential buyers too much, which is already fairly narrow within the RPG genre. Most non-hardcore gamers won't have Win Vista and a DX10-enabled graphics card within this time frame.

The impression I get when browsing game and help forums is that a fair number of KOTOR player don't have anywhere near a gamer computer. Sometimes it can be more economically sound not to just aim for the topmost layer of hardcore power gamers as a customer segment by making games that squeeze every last drop of power out of a high-end computer system to run decently.


mt
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #22
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Sometimes it can be more economically sound not to just aim for the topmost layer of hardcore power gamers as a customer segment by making games that squeeze every last drop of power out of a high-end computer system to run decently.
If I ran Microsoft, I'd consider offering monetary incentives towards game companies to make DX10 games. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this. A quick Google search proved that...

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02...ames/index.php
Quote:
Microsoft is also working closely with game developers to train them in DirectX 10, though it is stopping short of offering financial incentives to move to the new platform....
The article closes with this (dated Feb 12, 2007)
Quote:
“DirectX 10 is a different way of programming. It’s harder,” Nvidia’s Vivoli said. “I think it will take 12 to 18 months before we start to see all of the gaming titles coming out on DirectX 10.”
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #23
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
The impression I get when browsing game and help forums is that a fair number of KOTOR player don't have anywhere near a gamer computer. Sometimes it can be more economically sound not to just aim for the topmost layer of hardcore power gamers as a customer segment by making games that squeeze every last drop of power out of a high-end computer system to run decently.
Especially for a kind of game that don't require that at all. But by the time, I think it'll have DX10 options, all right.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #24
marvidchano
Junior Member
 
marvidchano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Meditating In The Ancient Temple Of Exar Kun. Sutton in Ashfield. England
Posts: 315
yeah, I wouldn't mind it running on DX10


Eusaet Rifae | Bria Server

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?MarvidChano dO nOt Lo0k @ tHiS SiTe
---------------------------------------------------
Xbox live Gamertag: Dragon2Sword[/size]
marvidchano is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #25
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
No. I'd rather upgrade to Vista of my own free will, rather than be forced encouraged to upgrade to it by having a game Microsoft knows I and many other fans would love impossible to play without purchasing their other products. Such marketing practices are extremely selfish, uncaring of the customer and I want no part in supporting a company that chooses to practice them and wants to exploit me for more money at every turn. (This same rant can also be applied to the idea of making KotOR III console-exclusive, but that's another topic.)

I'd still prefer the old engine with some upgrades in any event, as the community has already learned how to mod it and that would feel more in line with the other two games if it did. As it would also save money and time that would be funneled into giving everything an ambient glow, it could be given towards the storyline department or at least result in an earlier release date.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #26
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Im a happy vista user and quite excited about DX10, but I dont think it would be integral to KOTOR 3. Sure, you could have it DX10 optimised, but still play happily on XP rather than be a DX10/Vista only title(like alan wake for example)

I dont think LucasArts would be that silly Gamers with high end kit generally *arent* RPGers. Ive definitely never seen a NWN PvP in all teh Lans Ive been too

Thus, there should be an option, "DX 10 optimised, but XP compatible" in your poll....

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #27
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
Thus, there should be an option, "DX 10 optimised, but XP compatible" in your poll....
Good point, I didn't think that was possible though...



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #28
darthcarth
Junior Member
 
darthcarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On the USD Imperium
Posts: 265
It is what do you think they are doing with crysis you dont expect them to just make it dx 10 and lose 98% of the gamer community? (in a poll only 1. something of gamers had a dx 10 capable card, of course this could have changed in a half a year but still not alot of people have dx 10 cards)


EmpireFTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
darthcarth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #29
JediMasterJambi
Rookie
 
JediMasterJambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Posts: 99
I hope not.
I have to agree with Janan Pacha and Astrotoy7 said. This is an RPG.
It dosn't need AWSOME graphics, and I think LA understands that.
I mean...hell...I STILL find myself REBEATING Chrono Trigger every 2-4 years.


Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2007, 04:50 AM   #30
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,195
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I agree that, KOTOR must be an RPG in the sense that the first 2 were, however, I don't get the logic that better graphics or an animation overhaul would equal to it not being an RPG. obviously if the Dev turned round and said it's either animation or game play, then it's game play all the way, but, things have come on a bit since 2004.
I don't see why any aspect of the game has to be sacrificed.

Quote:
and I think LA understands that.
I don't think LA understand anything, because they haven't made K3 yet!


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #31
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,365
10 year veteran! 
Sure, I don't mind DX10. Come to think of it, there are hardly any DX10 games announced right now and KotOR doesn't look anywhere nearby. If we be a bit realistic, we learn that it can be announced next or the next-to-next year (at least). Therefore, by then, DX10 games would become the norm (atleast in announcements), and so we have a DX10KOTOR ready.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #32
JediMasterJambi
Rookie
 
JediMasterJambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
I don't get the logic that better graphics or an animation overhaul would equal to it not being an RPG.
Eh..I was just saying that graphics or animation overhauls aren't needed in RPGs as much as they are in other games. I would perfer they spend more time on storyline and diversity.


Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
I don't think LA understand anything, because they haven't made K3 yet!
I agree ^.^


Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #33
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
Sure, I don't mind DX10. Come to think of it, there are hardly any DX10 games announced right now and KotOR doesn't look anywhere nearby. If we be a bit realistic, we learn that it can be announced next or the next-to-next year (at least). Therefore, by then, DX10 games would become the norm (atleast in announcements), and so we have a DX10KOTOR ready.
Good point there...



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #34
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo
 
Arcesious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 1,876
Current Game: Mass Effect
Well... sure, i'd liek better graphics, but my computer is old, and although it can handle Kotor II at highest graphics possible sinc eit is 200% overqulaified for running it, a new game with graphics meant for a new computer would kinda mess it up. Besides- people who can't afford a new computer or get an xbox 360 probably won't buy this game if that's what it requires. if you implement better grapghics into this game- i want an option that uses the old graphics, and an auto-detect thing for when you first strat the game, that will figure out if you can run the gma ewith the new next-gen graphics or not. if not, it will run the older grapghics, but you can change that setting if you want.
I have computer with a Nvidia GEforce 6200 card in it, and it overall has a little over 1 Gig of Video Ram. My computer is actually almost 6 years old, it will be once it's 2008 , as it an old Windwos XP on an Emachines computer system, and it has had upgrades that make it about 6 times better than it normally would be.

So please make this game able to run well for those of us who use old Computers and Xbox's. That's all i suggest. any programmers readign this- I seriously suggest you consider this, as you should know doing this will result in mroe sales and more profit.
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #35
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion
 
Cygnus Q'ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bowerstone Market
Posts: 1,263
Current Game: liberty city stories
What's the diff?

By the time LA decides to do it (or have someone else do it), it'll probably be console exclusive to start anyway.

I hope it's BioWare and I hope it's featured on the gen-after-next, X-Box720.


.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #36
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo
 
Arcesious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 1,876
Current Game: Mass Effect
They cna make it for Xbox 720 too if they want- but ther eis the fact that the 720 hasn't even been started to be made yet...
If they make this gam eavialble for use an multiple different gaming systems, they'll get a huge profit off of the game, as making it usable by almost everyone will give them at least 150% more sales than the last two Kotor games.
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #37
damian622
Rookie
 
damian622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26
It probably will have. I just hope that Obsidian won't make Razor 1911 more work [if you don't know, they made some Need DX10/Vista games (Shadowrun and Halo2) to work under DX9/WinXP].

If they do, I will have only Fallout 3 to play in. Hmmm... That isn't so bad, when I think more about it.
damian622 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #38
Gargoyle King
Veteran
 
Gargoyle King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In My Own Little World!
Posts: 895
K3 Doesn't need to be a next-gen (i.e. HD) game IMO. I think this because a lot of people will not be able to play it because Vista ain't exactly cheap (well for me it isn't anyway) and if they are like me they won't want to upgrade for one game (albeit a very tempting game). HD graphics are all well and good but i'd rather the game had amazing gameplay above amazing graphics. In short, i think the developers of K3 would better benefite over the current system specs of which TSL and K1 were able to run off; HD is here yes but IMO it would be a mistake for the PC field of the gaming industry to move towards this format too quickly.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #39
RyuuKage
Junior Member
 
RyuuKage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 373
Probably. But i don't care so long as it's compatible with 9.0c, because i'm not switching to Vista even for KotOR III....well...maybe....
RyuuKage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #40
MJ-W4
Junior Member
 
MJ-W4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scrapyard No. 3
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Depends on when the game is released. If it's within roughly a year's time to a year and a half or so I doubt it would be a DX10-only game. To do so would be to limit their customer base of potential buyers too much, which is already fairly narrow within the RPG genre. Most non-hardcore gamers won't have Win Vista and a DX10-enabled graphics card within this time frame.

The impression I get when browsing game and help forums is that a fair number of KOTOR player don't have anywhere near a gamer computer. Sometimes it can be more economically sound not to just aim for the topmost layer of hardcore power gamers as a customer segment by making games that squeeze every last drop of power out of a high-end computer system to run decently.
If you look in my profile, you'll see that I've seen windows come, and I'll probably see it go, too. I agree with you that most KotOR players I personally know are nowhere near vista. A vista only game might indeed be a commercial failure. A point I'd like to add is that a general overhaul of the existing engine takes less time and money and comes with far less bugs than a brand new engine for a new, far more complex system. I fear a new engine for a prospective K3 would lead to even more cut content than K2 already has. Oh yes and bugs. Did I mention bugs? I have, haven't I?

--edited for typo
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > DX10 for KotOR 3?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.