lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: And the defendant is
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,046
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
And the defendant is

I do not know if I should laugh or cry.
AP
I do believe this makes his point, although Im sure some of you would agree with this suit.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Fredi
El Guapo
 
Fredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Germn,PR
Posts: 1,305
... Jesus ...



"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
John Galt
Junior Member
 
John Galt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Galt's Gulch
Posts: 474
so who are they going to have in court, Morgan Freeman?!?





Wer mit Ungeheuern kmpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Bse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Fredi
El Guapo
 
Fredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Germn,PR
Posts: 1,305
Provably a Cross or a figure of Jesus?



"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
I read about this and just kinda snickered to myself. I thought it was a royal kick. Personally, I hope he wins, just out of the sheer hilarity of proving that our courts will award anything to anyone for just about any reason.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
If a guy was making a point about lawsuits being filed against anyone, it seems his strawman argument failed.

The dispute is over wheter to use the word "rape" in a courtroom or not. To use it will go and harm the defendant in the case over the rape, meaning it is okay for the judge to ban it. However, the prosecution has a good reason to use the term "rape", for that VERY REASON, to go and make the defendant look bad. And it is "rape", so why can't the prosecution say it. It's a question between Freedom of Speech and Fair Trial here. That case is not a frivilous lawsuit, and therefore, I am upset.

There is only ONE reason why this current case over the use of the word "rape" should be rejected, but that has nothing to do with the argument that he is making:

Quote:
Chambers said Bowen's lawsuit is inappropriate because the Nebraska Supreme Court has already considered the case and federal courts follow the decisions of state supreme courts on state matters.
Basically, it was already decided in court. People actually sued and settled the issue in favor of Fair Trial here. So, arguing that this case has no merit is silly, because the Courts has already heard the case, they already decided on what to do. (Strange, I'd assume people would be screaming at the prosecution for protecting the right of the defendants from hearing the word "rape".)

Also, God is not a citizen of the United States of America. He was not born here. You can't sue people who are not citizens in the USA, and who live in other nations (God lives in the US, but he also lives in Turkey, China, India, etc.) . People even doubt if he exist. There is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that God has ever done any of those crimes, except God was alleged to have said so. Please, dismiss this annoying strawman case.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,046
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
The dispute is over wheter to use the word "rape" in a courtroom or not. To use it will go and harm the defendant in the case over the rape, meaning it is okay for the judge to ban it. However, the prosecution has a good reason to use the term "rape", for that VERY REASON, to go and make the defendant look bad. And it is "rape", so why can't the prosecution say it.
Very compelling argument SilentScope001, Ill admit I really did not look very deep into this. On the surface it looks more of a tongue and check case, but your passionate argument has convinced me that it is much deeper than I gave it credit for.

On the issue of using the word rape Im split. On one had if someone has committed such a degrading and disgusting act Im not for given that person any breaks. Then again, as the Duke Lacrosse case proves not everyone charged with rape is actually guilty of rape. With the concept of innocent until proven guilty in mind, I guess I would error of the side of not using it in the court room. However, we would have to change the charge to sexual assault instead of rape. No use giving those convicted another loophole for appeal.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #8
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Oh, goody. Our tax dollars at work. Thank goodness I don't live in NE where he's wasting mine, unless it ends up for some bizarre reason going to the Supreme Court. What a waste of time and money with such a frivolous suit. I suppose God could countersue. Right. Like with wars, famine, and poverty, God really cares about his stupid little suit.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #9
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Oh, goody. Our tax dollars at work. Thank goodness I don't live in NE where he's wasting mine, unless it ends up for some bizarre reason going to the Supreme Court. What a waste of time and money with such a frivolous suit. I suppose God could countersue. Right. Like with wars, famine, and poverty, God really cares about his stupid little suit.
Gives me a good idea... next stop: Four horsemen!!! And Santa would be the next, then Easter Bunny.

I mean, even if you can win the case what can you do with it? Obviously you can't really throw God in jail... and I don't think he got a bank account that we know of.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,046
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
God knows the law.
God's Response?
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
He says he wasn't served a summons by a deputy...so the suit should be thrown out.
Judging from the fact that you could just use the intercessory means of prayer to serve the summons, it isn't that big of an issue.

Quote:
I mean, even if you can win the case what can you do with it? Obviously you can't really throw God in jail... and I don't think he got a bank account that we know of.
Freezing God's "assets", aka, the bank account of all his religious groups, might be rewarding.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Freezing God's "assets", aka, the bank account of all his religious groups, might be rewarding.
Render to Ceasar the things that are Ceasar's, and to God the things that are God....


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #13
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,046
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Judging from the fact that you could just use the intercessory means of prayer to serve the summons, it isn't that big of an issue.
Maybe the can't find a deputy to pray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Freezing God's "assets", aka, the bank account of all his religious groups, might be rewarding.
LOL. I was thinking the same thing. After all as they take my money the are always saying it is "God's money" or it is for "God's work."
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > And the defendant is

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.