lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: US Dollar Slips To Parity with Candian Dollar
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

US Dollar Slips To Parity with Candian Dollar

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...486394353.html

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-14742,00.html

The US economy is in trouble! Woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Why w00t for any economy being in trouble? People are going to suffer the consequences of those problems, after all. I'm always mindful of the adage "When America sneezes, the world catches cold."

The housing sub-prime loan industry is having a lot of problems and the Fed just cut rates to help deal with what could be a looming financial disaster. Housing starts plummeted as interest rates went up, which has idled a lot of construction people. Oil prices are going up which also affects our economy, so I'm not surprised to see that we're having problems. I'm sure the business gurus will have something far more cogent to say, since my field is eyeballs rather than finance.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Why w00t for any economy being in trouble?
I dunno. It just seems that I'm getting tired of the whole economic boom and all, and so an economic recession may wake people up and realize the economy is in cycles. I guess this news is far more interesting than the other stuff in the newspaper.

Quote:
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
Old 09-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Everything is still cheaper in U.S.

On a more serious note, I suppose it's a good sign in the retrospective that our Canadian dollar is getting stronger, due to a stronger economy because of oil production and our real estate market seems to be in fine shape.

Though, you could also say that the American dollar is just sinking.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
The real question here, though, is exactly what are the intentions behind depressing the USD down to appear competitive? What's the point of no return? In about a six years or so, the $US has gone from ~1.17Euros to about ~.72 (thereabouts)Euros and depreciated against the loonie by about 25-30%. I'm curious as to where they intend to stabilize the drop.

^^
Quote:
Everything is still cheaper in U.S.
Even more so now that your $$ has appreciated in value (relative to the $US anyway)

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Rogue Warrior
Banned

I guess the 'woot' is because America is going to suffer.
Rogue Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
YEEEAH BABY! Go CANADA!

To bad about or manufacturing sector...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
I guess we need a little macroenomics refresher. If the country A's currency is devalued compared to country B's currency, that means that country B can buy more of country A's products. And more of country A's citizens will also buy country A's products. That's a good thing for country A. It's only bad if a person from country A goes to country B to buy something.

So w00t indeed. Our trade defecit is huge and the slipping dollar will help narrow that a bit.

Last edited by tk102; 09-27-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: by != buy
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

I just get excited when a Canada number other than landmass square mileage is bigger than an American number. Does that make me a simple person?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
tk102

It'll take more than that Prime. If you would've said: "Now I can buy more American beer!" that would've made you a simple person.

Personal w00t: I'm glad I invested in precious metals and foreign stocks a couple years back. Gold is at a 28-year high.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
John Galt

I think the current administration's addiction to voodoo economics and deficit spending, along with the two ongoing conflicts(I refuse to call them wars until congress formally declares war), and commitments to free trade that have harmed our manufacturing centers ever since the early 19th century have done a lot of damage to the dollar's value. However, the petrodollar is keeping the value inflated somewhat over what it would be elsewise, but Iran(gasp!!!) is opening an oil market soon that deals in Euros that will certainly(along with the rancor against America) hurt, if not break, the petrodollar. Add to that the fact that the People's Republic of China has in its national reserves the largest collection of US dollars in the world, and things begin to look really scary for the US in the near future.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Personal w00t: I'm glad I invested in precious metals and foreign stocks a couple years back. Gold is at a 28-year high.
Lucky bastard! I was thinking about that the other day...

Old 09-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, in the case of gold (& other precious metals), the proponents were bound to be right one day......good for you tk. Do you remember where they were pricewise when you got in?

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
tk102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
Do you remember where they were pricewise when you got in?
I think it was around Feb 2006 -- gold was about $550/oz. then. It's like what $740/oz now? 35% gain over 20 months isn't bad. The S&P 500 gained 20% by comparison.

And just barely keeping on topic: With the decrease in new home construction, probably won't be too long before forest products (lumber) will begin to look like a bargain.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #15
John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
And just barely keeping on topic: With the decrease in new home construction, probably won't be too long before forest products (lumber) will begin to look like a bargain.
I don't think that willl have much effect on price to consumers. The companies that grow the specific trees (I remember seeing a documentary on tree farming) will simply switch to a longer growing season, so that prices won't change much until the next building boom.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2007, 02:45 AM   #16
Corinthian
Banned

So, basically, you're happy about anything bad that happens to America? What the hell is wrong with you, Scope? Taking Anti-Americanism to the next level?
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #17
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
So, basically, you're happy about anything bad that happens to America? What the hell is wrong with you, Scope? Taking Anti-Americanism to the next level?
Uh. I am American, you know?

I'm just bored about the current newspaper stories, all so boring. And technically, this is good for America, since it can very well decrease our trade deficit. I just typed "Woot" because "something" finally happened to interrupt the constant "War with Iran is coming", "Iraq is suffering", "blah blah blah"...those things are temporary, the economy hurts us the most, and hearing something about the economy, even if it is going down, is at least better than hearing the mind-numbing news.

Still, maybe I should have edited out that "w00t" instead...

Quote:
Full Article Here
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > US Dollar Slips To Parity with Candian Dollar