lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Movement to Declare A Chimp "A Person" Underway in Austria
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Movement to Declare A Chimp "A Person" Underway in Austria

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...e_N.htm?csp=34

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...4543490C585678

...Oh no. Oh no.

If this succeds, then this will finally usher in the Era of Animal Rights. We can't let this happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Weave

Oh, yes we can!

Dark Side and Light Side

Weave is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
John Galt

I have no problem with making other species citizens if their sentience can be proven, along with the ablitity to comply with all the usual requirements of citizenship.

That being said, I don't think Chimpanzees are sentient creatures, and thus should not qualify as citizens(or "people").

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
They can do with it whatever they want, but when they teach it to say “no”, I’m leaving.

I was half expecting his name to be Caesar.
10 to 1 no one knows what the hell the old fart is talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
If this succeds, then this will finally usher in the Era of Animal Rights. We can't let this happen!
I'm all for animal rights, that is as long as I can still eat them too.

Last edited by mimartin; 09-27-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
If it can work for minimum wage and say "yes" and "no", I'll take four!

J/K.

Ah, people with too much time on their hands.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
They can do with it whatever they want, but when they teach it to say “no”, I’m leaving.

I was half expecting his name to be Caesar.
10 to 1 no one knows what the hell the old fart is talking about.
Well, it will only be a problem if the chimp's mother's name was Zira(?), or if the chimp picked his own name.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Rogue Warrior
Banned

I am a member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals, but look at it this way, the chimp would have more brains than some humans.
Rogue Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Oh, great knees of Simeon Stylites.

No.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

*sigh* So chimps will have to pay taxes now? Put it this way, we all know that "Curious George" can become president, so chimps being a coperate leader is not a bad thing, since they are about as ruthless and stinky, and flings poo. Though having a chimp as a cellmate in prison is going to suck.

Plus, now can we legally marry a chimp? How about a dolphin?
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
*sigh* So chimps will have to pay taxes now? Put it this way, we all know that "Curious George" can become president, so chimps being a coperate leader is not a bad thing, since they are about as ruthless and stinky, and flings poo. Though having a chimp as a cellmate in prison is going to suck.

Plus, now can we legally marry a chimp? How about a dolphin?
Just remember, this is being settled in court, it is likely to go against the suit. And they are not trying to declare chimps humans, but rather chimps as a person who has rights and deserve protection. All the beniefts of rights, with none of the responsiblity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Just remember, this is being settled in court, it is likely to go against the suit. And they are not trying to declare chimps humans, but rather chimps as a person who has rights and deserve protection. All the beniefts of rights, with none of the responsiblity.
So its like a huge company... with them rights and no responsibility. Good lord... what next? Dolphins? squids? carrots?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #12
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Fallout 2
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Absurd.

Quote:
Their upkeep costs $6,800 a month. Donors have offered to help, but under Austrian law, only a person can receive personal gifts.
Here's an idea: Try to donating to the shelter rather than the chimpanzees.

Quote:
Organizers could set up a foundation to collect cash for Pan, whose life expectancy in captivity is about 60 years. But they argue only personhood will ensure he isn't sold to someone outside Austria, where he's protected by strict animal cruelty laws.
Another idea for the activists: Buy Pan yourselves.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Yeah, TK, but that would be 2 things......the simple and the obvious. No, they wish to get everything on the cheap, so to speak. Their agenda on our money.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
"Hey, you--Association Against Animal Factories--get out of my gene pool!"

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
carrots?
Stop The Discrimination!

Vegetables Have Feelings Too!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #16
T3-M4
Rookie

I have no problem either, I mean, I wouldn't walk up to a Wookie and start patting it talking baby talk, (apart from he'd rip my arms from limb to limb)

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8186/whoosw0.png
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max for all combined images, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
T3-M4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
A chimp is an animal. At least that is how I think the natural order of things is supposed to be. To declar a chimp a person is rather kind of silly. It is an animal and therefore it does have some rights ANIMAL rights. What separates us, that thin barrier that makes up people and human is our ability to reason. Can a chimp do this?

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #18
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Yap. They use tools, think strategic and use different tactics when they hunt or follow a goal. That is pretty much ability to reason.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #19
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Chimpanzee DNA is not human DNA. Chimp DNA cannot produce humans nor can human DNA produce chimps. Therefore, chimps are not people.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 PM   #20
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Chimpanzee DNA is not human DNA. Chimp DNA cannot produce humans nor can human DNA produce chimps. Therefore, chimps are not people.
Well said, I agree, also a chimp CAN reason to some small degree, but they CANNOT reason like we humans can. They CANNOT study their own species anatomy like we can, and that is only one out of a hundred differences between us humans, and chimps.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #21
Weave

Well... the animal rights group specifically said that they don't want to make the chimp recognized as a human, but as an individual. They have no intentions in giving the animal "human rights" (except maybe a few... but nothing drastic, like a driver's license).

Besides, Animal rights? What makes us think that we can GIVE animals their rights... humans are animals too ya know. Problem with our species is our undeniable arrogance in our own mental superiority versus other animals. We basically think that we OWN the damn world... which isn't true at all. Sure, we make the biggest IMPACT on it, but that's beside the point. The biggest difference between humans and other species is our abstract thinking, empathy, and the knowledge that we we're going to die. I thought that was very peculiar. No other animal knows that it will inevitably die. Except us.

Anyway, enough of that speculation... like I said earlier, the chimp is being recognized as an individual... not a human.

Dark Side and Light Side

Weave is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #22
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, then we must try to separate what is the difference of "right of individual" versus "right of human" before anything can be done.

Plus, it might jsut be aussie laws as work, cause in places like the states you can even leave money to your cats in the will.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Movement to Declare A Chimp "A Person" Underway in Austria