lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: MC: AOTE: Brothers in Arms
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #121
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Back on Fondor

"Turrets at 10 o' clock!!" Blue yelled out as he dove for cover. Almost immediately, red blaster bolts began impacting where he previously stood. Diving for cover as well, Jeez hid behind a corner in the hallway while he caught sight of Blue wedged up in a recess in a wall where a door was located behind him.

"Blue, try and get that door open," Jeez ordered as he peered around the corner. Up ahead just past where Blue was hiding there was a wide open room. It looked like a conference room of some kind with a long table that had at least 20 chairs tucked in under it. In the middle, Jeez could see a holographic projector, and then, Jeez got an idea. Using the Force, Jeez activated the projector from a distance.

In the middle of the table, a ghost-like image of Count Dooku appeared, and it began speaking about something or another. Jeez didn't really bother to notice as blaster bolts suddenly began flying everywhere. Jeez was quick to notice, however, that the bolts were intersecting with the hologram which meant one thing: the hologram was confusing the targeting computers for the turrets.

"The door is open," Blue stated over the com. "Looks like its just a storage closet."

"Nevermind the door, Blue. On my mark, get ready to take out those turrets. No sparkers," Jeez ordered as he made reference in the last part to the EMP grenades that were attached to Blue's belt.

"Yes sir, awaiting your signal," Blue responded as he prepared to turn the corner. Ahead, the hologram was beginning to flicker as the projector struggled to produce the correct image with all the blaster bolts flying through it. Finally, though, the projector cut off and shot sparks everywhere as it overloaded.

"Mark!" Jeez yelled out as he quickly turned the corner. Sighting the blaster turret through the sights on his rifle, Jeez shot off a burst of fire from his DC-17. All of his round impacted on the turret which burned a number of circuits. It wasn't enough, though, and a hail of blaster fire shot out in Jeez's direction. Diving for cover behind the conference table, several blaster bolts pinged off his shields before Jeez landed where he had wanted to land.

A number of blaster bolts still sounded out, and Jeez caught sight of Blue unloading his rifle on the turret. Before he could give Blue an order, a number of blaster bolts impacted on Blue in the chest. The first couple of bolts deflected off his shields, but the rest impacted him right in the armor as the shield failed. Slumping down in pain, Blue clutched his chest as he dropped his rifle.

"Don't move, Blue!" Jeez yelled out. Blue was just far enough away from the conference table to still be in the line of fire of the turret, and Jeez wondered for a second on what to do. Risking all, Jeez crawled over to Blue and grabbed him by the leg. Using every ounce of strength in him, Jeez yanked Blue as hard as he could so that he was behind the table. A number of blaster bolts impacted the ground and the table behind him, but fortunately, they missed both Blue and Jeez.

"Blue, report!" Jeez stated as he tried to pry Blue's hands away from his chest to look at the damage.

"It's not too bad, sir. Could use some bacta, though," Blue responded as he tried to hide the pain in his voice. Moving one of his hands down to his belt, Blue took one of the EMP grenades up to his chest. "With all due respect, sir, its time for the fireworks."

Jeez just nodded in reply as Blue twisted the grenade to activate the fuse. Waiting about a second, Blue quickly tossed the grenade at the turret. Jeez crouched in anticipation, and the grenade went off about a second later. The shield monitors flashed red as Jeez's shields instantly drained from the EMP shockwave. Standing up in a firing position, Jeez sighted the turret which was sparking like crazy from the numerous shorts in its system. Squeezing off a number of rounds, the turret sizzled and burned as it was destroyed beyond recognition.

Looking over beside him, Jeez saw Blue grab his rifle as he tried to stand up. Helping him, Jeez kept an eye on the door the turret had been guarding. Slapping Blue on the shoulder, Jeez moved over to the door around the conference table. Following him close behind, Blue kept an eye out for trouble.

"Adviser, please confirm that our target should be on the other side of this door, over," Jeez stated over the comm.

"That's affirmative, 14. Is something wrong?" Ryshana responded.

"Negative, adviser. Just happy to be close to the objective," Jeez replied. "Double Niner and Torch, we need you up here ASAP."

The lights on his helmet HUD lighted up for Niner and Torch in confirmation. As they waited for them to arrive, Jeez reached down in his emergency pack and pulled out his one bacta injector. Placing it on a special port near the bio-monitor on Blue's armor, Jeez pressed a button, and a metallic click was heard as the bacta was injected into the Health Administration System. "Thanks," Blue responded. Nodding in acknowledgment, Jeez turned around to keep an eye on the door.

Back on the Echo

Jeez and Cloud felt the Echo jolt out of hyperspace. "Well, I guess we're here," Cloud commented as he looked over at Jeez across the table in the common room. Between them was a Dejaric board, and it was rather apparent that Jeez was losing. Cloud then moved a piece down towards the middle of the board. "Checkmate."

Jeez looked up at Cloud for a moment and then back down at the board. Trying to figure out all the possible moves, Jeez then realized that Cloud was right: there were no moves that he could take that would bring him out of check. Sighing, Jeez then said, "We need to find a new game."

Smiling at Jeez, Cloud laughed as he said, "Hey, its not my fault you've never played this before. Don't give up, especially against an amateur like me."

"Amateur?? I hate to ask, but what does that make me, then?"

"A n00b. Don't worry, I'm sure that you have a lot things that you're much better than me with," Cloud stated.

"You're so reassuring," Jeez commented dryly as he peered around the corner towards the cockpit. Not seeing anyone, Jeez then said, "Well, I'm going to go check on our progress."

"Or lack thereof?" Cloud commented.

"Something like that," Jeez replied as he got up from the table. Heading down to the cockpit, Jeez looked out the window as Jack steered the Echo down to the surface of Ruusan.

"Definitely more back to normal, eh?" Riebe concluded.

"Define normal," Jeez stated. "I've never had 'normal', and for some reason, I don't think I'm about to get normal either."

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #122
Writer
Not switching to DTV

Current Game: TrackMania Nations
Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
"I said more normal," Jana countered. "Didn't say normal... nothing can bring us back to that..." She paused for a moment. "But I sense Nic is alive... and he's with Beryl. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to inform the rest of the crew before we land, take on our not-so-dead captain, and throw them into a fit of disbelief and suspicion."

As she was on her way out of the cockpit, she instructed, "Jack, go ahead and take us in for a landing now."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Teser Quitaan had gotten tired of waiting for the Echo to show up and determined he'd make the best of this trip... and finish off by seeing his sister. So he landed the shuttle he'd been given, sent an information packet to the HIN, and headed for the Smuggler's Rest.

When he arrived at the Rest, he was rather surprised to see Beryl was already there, sitting, talking, and drinking with a group of people, only two of which he recognized (not counting his sister, of course). The first was Nic White, which threw Teser for a loop. He'd been one of the data sorters who'd filed the fact that Nic White/Simon Raikelli was dead. He blinked for a moment and concluded that information always ran the risk of being false.

The other person Teser recognized was Conway Harlowe. Now that threw him for a loop. On a whim once, he'd looked into Beryl's old friend and had discovered he was serving time as a doctor in an Imperial prison facility. That piece of information had lodged in his mind and now, he found it rather surprising to see what Conn was up to. He strode over to the table, coming up behind Beryl.

"You're keeping some interesting friends, little sis," he remarked. Gesturing to Nic, and then to Conn, he added, "By all accounts... dead, and Imperial doctor." He frowned and admitted. "Though that was a few weeks ago..."

Mom tells me I need brain food... but if writing ain't that, I don't know what is!

My work in progress:
Hidden Histories: The Galaxy Hacker

Have a read, give a review, yah?
Writer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #123
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
"Ex-Imperial doctor," Conn corrected, looking the newcomer over. Same blonde hair, same Corellian glint in the eyes... Yeah, this was another of Beryl's brothers. Conn decided he much preferred this one to Berasmus, however. He stood up and held out his hand. "Conn Harlowe," he said by way of introduction.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #124
Writer
Not switching to DTV

"I gathered the 'ex' part from seeing you here," Teser quipped. He shook Conn's hand. "Teser Quitaan. It's been a good long while, but I do recall Beryl mentioning you a few times." He looked down at his sister. "Beryl, aren't you going to introduce me to the rest of your friends?"

Mom tells me I need brain food... but if writing ain't that, I don't know what is!

My work in progress:

Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #125
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Current Game: SWOTR
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
At the sudden arrival of her brother Teser, Beryl’s mouth dropped in shock as she turned her head to look at him. Months ago, before the Imperial prison caper, before even Ryshana had come aboard the Echo, she had been told that Teser was missing. As there had been no word of him for over a year, it was assumed by the rest of her brothers, bar his identical twin Telk, that he was most likely dead. Yet here he was—looking fit and healthy and shaking hands with Conn.

“Teser?” She blinked as a tear welled in her eye, then stood up and gave her brother a great big hug. “Teser! Oh, you’re alive! Rayne said… well, we all thought you were dead!”

Teser chuckled as he hugged her back. "Nice to see you, too, Beryl,” he said as he gently broke her tight embrace. "It's been a long time. And, as you can see, I’m still alive and kicking.”

Beryl nodded. “So, you are. Well, you've met Conn. This is Max, owner of the Hammerspace," she gestured to the Lorridian, "and that's Nic, over there at the bar. And...” Without warning, she drew her arm back, her hand formed into a fist, and she decked him hard enough on the chin to lay him out flat on the floor.

There was a sudden silence as the patrons in the bar took notice. But Beryl didn't care.

“You kriffin' son of a gundark!” She pointed a finger down at him as she shouted. “Just where in the Nine Hells have you been?! Don’t you know that we've been worried sick about you?! It was only because Telk was so positive that you were still alive, that Rayne didn't plan your funeral!” Still angry at him, she kicked him in the leg for good measure. "So, you'd better have a damn good explanation!"

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Old 11-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #126
Writer
Not switching to DTV

"You always did have one hell of a knockout punch," Teser muttered, getting back to his feet. "And for the short version... well, I've been busy."

"Busy?! So busy that you couldn't even send a message to any one of seven of... no, scratch that, 'cause Nuss is on my s-list and doesn't count anymore... to any one of your 'six' siblings to say, 'Hey, I'm alive, just busy?'" She kicked him in the shin. "Bad answer, try again!"

"Ow!" Teser exclaimed. "Will you please stop kicking me?"

Beryl's eyes narrowed. "Where have you been, Teser Quitaan?"

"That's a long story," Teser began, but at the sight of his sister beginning to draw her hand back for another good strike, his eyes widened and he went on in a hurry. "Big shipping company! Outer Rim mostly... they kept me so busy you wouldn't believe!"

"I don't believe!" She launched another strike at him, but this one was caught from behind by Conn. "You're causing a scene," he whispered into her ear. "Calm down. Last thing we need is an audience."

Beryl gave her brother a hard look, then pulled her arm abruptly away from Conn's grip. She shook her head, and then said, "I need a another drink." Then she headed to the bar. Teser watched her go with a puzzled frown and then turned to Conn.

"She been like this ever since you got her back?" he asked softly.

My work in progress:

Old 11-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #127
Rogue Nine
*static*

"You have no idea," Conn replied, shaking his head as he watched Beryl approach the bar. "The Imps did something funny to her," Conn told the elder Quitaan. "She's not the Beryl you or I remember. At least not right now."

"The Imps put her on some weird cocktail of drugs, stuff that made even the doc here cringe," Max piped up as she rose from her seat, nearly-empty whiskey bottle in hand. "I've only known her for a short time, but I definitely think I prefer pre-Carida Beryl to post."

"She's only acting 'semi' normal now that I've medicated her out to the gills," Conn continued. "When we picked her up, she was surly, anti-social and rather testy."

"You mean just like she was now?" Teser surmised, rubbing his still bruised chin.

"Yeah," Conn confirmed. "C'mon, let's get over there before she 'self-medicates' a little too much for her own good."

"Sounds like a plan," Teser agreed as they strode over to the bar where Nic and Beryl sat.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #128
JasraLantill
No One Liners

The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
Beryl had sidled up to Nic at the bar. “Sullistan rocket fuel?” she said, looking at his drink. Nic nodded. “Suppose it’s better than Renan Irongut. That stuff can remove rust, you know.” She considered for a moment, then motioned to the bartender. “I’ll have what he’s having.”

“Powerful stuff, Beryl,” said Nic.

“I can handle it. Besides, the Doc told me to calm down. So….”

Nic glanced over his shoulder at the table where Conn stood talking to a blonde-haired man. “Another brother?”

“Yeah. Teser. Back from the dead and with a piss poor explanation.” Her drink arrived. “You know that’s been happening a lot lately. People back from the dead.” She took a swig of the drink. “Wonder if my dad’s gonna show up next. Or, perhaps, Ryshana.” She paused a moment, thinking about the visitation and conversation she had had with Ryshana, or what had appeared to be her, while in her dormitory room at the Carida Academy. “Although, that wouldn’t be as much of a surprise to me.” Another swig, followed by a small shiver.

Last edited by JasraLantill; 11-17-2007 at 06:09 PM.
JasraLantill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #129
starmark2k
Someone's Worse Nightmare

LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
“Beryl I’d be more thankful he is alive.” Nic explained. “Think of it from his point of view, he probably wanted to make contact but couldn’t, the problem with everyone thinking you’re dead is that you begin to feel dead.” Nic explained from his recent experiences.

“Besides today is a time for reunion so let’s try to be happy about it.” Nic reminded. “You have every reason to be.”
starmark2k is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2007, 01:01 AM   #130
Writer
Not switching to DTV

The Echo swept into Ruusan's atmosphere, cleared with docking authorities, and touched down relatively close to the part of town which held the Smuggler's Rest. By this point, the entire crew knew they would be getting Nic back from the supposed dead and despite everything they'd been through in the last two months, their spirits were higher... excepting a few of the crew, though that was to be expected. Jeez in particular had gone through more than anyone else, Jana had to admit.

When it came right down to it, Jana figured she was probably the most thrilled of all of them. Reibe seemed more amused at the thought of Nic and Beryl returning. Cloud was excited, but Jana sensed a little nervous energy lurking within him. Sam and Jack were more or less indifferent. Jeez was... well, Jana couldn't read his feelings on the matter.

But Jana was thrilled, she decided. And the first sight that caught her eyes when she entered the Smuggler's Rest was Beryl and Nic seated at the bar and having a drink together. Feeling a little childish, she raced across the room and practically tackled Nic off his barstool. Reibe followed more slowly, coming up to them with an amused smirk.

"Now, now, Jana," she scolded gently. "Show a little restraint."

She watched the pair untangle and stand, fully expecting an outburst from Nic. But Jana had other things on her mind.

"I'd been thinking about how I wanted to greet you both," she informed Nic before turning and embracing Beryl. "Figured there wasn't anything that would really communicate it right, but a hug was the closest I could figure..." She turned back to Nic and noticed an odd look on his face. "Nic? What's wrong?"

My work in progress:

Old 11-18-2007, 05:49 AM   #131
steven
^I'm with Genius^

Location: Doesn't matter. The question u should be asking is "where r u?"
Jack did everything he did when he landed the Echo. He controlled it down to the ground, cleared everything with docking authorities and then landed the ship in the specified docking area. He did all this while reviewing in his head the whole Nic being alive situation. Of course he was happy, Jack had a lot of respect for the man and learning of his survival would remove the aurora of depressing that flooded the ship and her crew.

Looking from the cockpit, he could see as soon as he opened the docking ramp, Jana rushing from the Echo and towards the commercial area. Feeling that he should follow, he left his station and followed Jana's path, just at a slower rate. He eventually caught up with Reibe.

He entered the bar just in time to see Jana tackle Nic to the ground with excitement. "I'm going to resist the temptation to do the same thing," Jack muttered before walking over to their table. Quickly taking a sip of Nic's drink while he had a massive Jana attached to him. "Good to see you again Nic, you too Beryl," Jack said with a smile before returning Nic's drink to him.

Make love, not toast.
steven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #132
starmark2k

“Nothing.” Nic replied to Jana Wrapping his arms around her again. “It’s just good to see ya again shortstuff.”

He released her and looked over at cloud who stepped up to him with his hand out in front of him, Nic grabbed the mechanics arm shook once then pulled him closer to wrap one arm behind his friend and pat him on the back for a few seconds then releasing.

“Nice to see you’re still breathing.” Nic stated with a huge grin across his face.

“Coming from a man we thought was dead those are bold words.” Cloud replied. “Next time you return from the dead do you think I could get a souvenir.”

“Sure.” Nic laughed.

"Good to see you again Nic, you too Beryl,"

“You too Jack.” Nic replied holding his hand out and shaking the pilots. “Hope you’ve been keeping Jana in line.”
Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #133
Writer
Not switching to DTV

"She's done that fairly well herself, Nic White," Reibe cut in, coming to stand beside Jana. Now, with Nic's eyes fully fixed on her, she could see plain as day what she'd expected from him. He was seriously ticked at seeing her.

"What is she doing here?" Nic demanded turning to Jana obviously angry at seeing the familiar woman. Reibe didn't help the matter any, as she extended her hand to him.

"Reibe Vailar," she introduced, a sparkle of amusement in her eyes. "Ship's adviser."

"Well I'm back now and that means you're gone." Nic replied, turning back to her.

"Nic, she's helped us more than you could imagine these last two months," Jana countered, siding with her trainer. "It's because of her we didn't end up Imp-scattered dust... they had a tracker on us. She kept us one step ahead of them."

"Jana you can't trust her," Nic replied. "Every time something bad happens she's been there."

"Ever consider what would have happened if she wasn't?" Jana shot back. "We'd never have escaped Vader, for one. Or had you forgotten that in your time with the dead?"

She stalked down the bar and sat down at the opposite end.

"Nice goin', Nicky," Reibe murmured, just barely audible.

My work in progress:

Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #134
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Catching the enthusiasm in the air, Jeez closed his eyes as he concentrated on the Force. Feeling outwards, Jeez could almost instantly sense the presence of two familiar people. Conn and Max, Jeez thought to himself as he remembered them from the prison. Then, Jeez could feel two others that the enthusiasm was directed towards, and then, Jeez could finally sense Beryl. Darkness becomes you, it seems, Jeez commented to himself as he could feel her presence.

The Darkside seemed to be strong around her, and Jeez wondered for a moment as to why. Then, it dawned on him that Beryl no longer had Ryshana or himself to influence her in the right direction. Couple that with whatever experience her brother decided to put her through...

Jeez's head dropped as he slowly shook his head in disapproval. This should prove to be most interesting.

Leaving the Echo, Jeez slowly led himself to where Jana and the rest of the crew had ran off to. Entering the cantina, Jeez quickly caught sight of the crowd. Seeing Beryl, Jeez studied her for a moment. A part of him didn't want to believe that she had changed as much as she had, but Jeez knew better as there was no denying the slight aura of darkness he could sense around her.

Walking over to her, Jeez came up behind her and carefully placed one of his hands down on her shoulder. Almost instantly, Jeez's thoughts drifted, and a voice seemed to whisper , "Murderer." Shaking off the strange sensation, Jeez looked back over at Beryl.

Leaning down beside her, Jeez whispered into her ear saying, "You and I have much to discuss it seems."

Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #135
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Beryl stiffened at Jeez’s touch. Slowly, she turned her head to look at him. His warm brown eyes seemed to see right into her soul and the elation of seeing Jana and the others was immediately replaced by anxiety. Suddenly she felt as if she were back at the Carida Academy—frightened, nervous, and always looking over her shoulder. She shrunk away from him, gradually shrugging off his hand. “Yeah, well, I don’t really want to ‘discuss’ anything right now.”

She didn’t look at Jeez, but instead locked eyes with Conn, and then walked over towards where Jana was.

“Jana,” she said softly to her friend. “It’s so good to see you. Glad you got my message. I can't tell you how much I missed you.” Still avoiding Jeez’s gaze, she gave Jana another hug, and then turned to Conn, Max and Teser. “This is my friend, Dr. Conway Harlowe,” she said to Jana as she motioned to Conn. “And that’s Max…. erm,…” Beryl realised that she hadn’t really ever asked Max if she had a family name or not. “…a former prison trustee. And, my brother, Teser, who apparently just resurrected himself from the ranks of the dead.”

She gave Teser a small apologetic grin. "I'm sorry," she said. "I had no cause to hit you. You're not Nuss."

Old 11-18-2007, 07:39 PM   #136
Rogue Nine
*static*

Conn had stood back alongside Teser when the Echo's crew had come into the cantina and greeted their long-lost compatriots. After the initial greetings, which included an impressive flying tackle on Nic from a petite brunette, Conn finally saw someone he knew, recognizing the broad shoulders and determined demeanor of the Jedi Knight who had escaped the Imperial prison with them. Jeez walked over and said a word to Beryl, who seemed to back away from him, looking very guilty, as if he had caught doing something wrong. Conn had no doubt that Jeez knew what Beryl had done, and he imagined that the Jedi would have quite a few words to say to her later.

Beryl probably knew the same thing, because she shyed away from Jeez and caught Conn's gaze. Moving over to the end of the bar where the brunette had retreated, she beckoned Conn, Teser and Max over. "This is my friend, Dr. Conway Harlowe, And that’s Max… erm... …a former prison trustee. And, my brother, Teser, who apparently just resurrected himself from the ranks of the dead."

Conn extended his hand towards Jana. "Good to finally meet you," he said to her, smiling warmly.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #137
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

"No one said you had to do anything," Jeez replied somewhat sharply as he turned away. "Yet."

Facing Nic, Jeez extended his hand. "And you must be Nic," Jeez stated as he tried to force a smile. "I'm Yajisif Quiinzara, Ryshana's husband before she died. I've heard a couple of rather interesting stories about you during my brief time with her."

Old 11-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #138
starmark2k

“Hey.” Nic replied putting his hand out unsure of what else to say. “I don’t know if this means anything to you, but Ry was a great women and more importantly she was my friend, I hope we can be the same.”
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #139
Writer
Not switching to DTV

"A pleasure to meet you as well, Dr. Harlowe," Jana replied, shaking his hand. Turning to shoot an odd look at Teser. "Back from the dead, huh? He failed to mention that last time I saw him..."

Teser shrugged. "I guess my communication can't be commended lately..." he muttered.

"I suppose not," Jana agreed. She hugged Beryl again. "It is so good to have you two back... well... you more so... back from the dead and Nic manages to upset..." She shook her head in a mixture of frustration and amusement. "Happened last time too..."

My work in progress:

Old 11-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #140
Rogue Nine
*static*

"Ah, so you must be Jana Vincent," Max said, pulling up alongside Conn and extending her hand. As Jana shook it, Max pressed something into the brunette's palm. As Jana arched an eyebrow, Max winked at her. "With this motley crew, I figure you can use all the help you can get," she said, closing Jana's hand around the chit.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #141
JasraLantill
No One Liners

"No one said you had to do anything," Jeez replied somewhat sharply as he turned away. "Yet."

Beryl felt a bit bad about being so abrupt and brushing off Jeez. Seeing him again reminded her of the moment Ryshana had been killed—a completely horrible and distasteful memory if there ever was one. Beside that, she didn’t want to tell him about the bad things she had done, nor the bad things she had thought about doing, and especially not her visitation from Ryshana. She figured he would think she was going mad. But his word ‘yet’ told her that she would have to confront him later. And later suited her just fine.

As Conn and Jana got acquainted, Beryl gave a nod to Cloud, acknowledging his presence, and then did the same for Riebe, though she had to admit she was a bit surprised to see the diminutive former TCTA instructor again. The last time they had met was when Reibe had helped the crew of the Echo escape from Lord Vader—a most disconcerting experience as Beryl recalled—and she cautiously wondered what ‘special occasion’ it was for Reibe to visit this time.

”….failed to mention that last time I saw him..." Beryl heard Jana say.

"I guess my communication can't be commended lately..." Teser had muttered.

As Jana hugged her again, Beryl looked over Jana’s shoulder at Teser and gave him a dirty look. The last time? Beryl thought. Teser can’t be bothered to leave a message for me, but he can meet Jana? He is so going to get thumped later.

"It is so good to have you two back,” Jana said. “... well... you more so... back from the dead and Nic manages to upset..." She shook her head in a mixture of frustration and amusement. "Happened last time too..."

Beryl gave her a quizzical look. Another last time? Boy, gone for a few weeks and everything’s changed….

Max approached Jana, and as Beryl stood back to let her talk she felt a tug on her shirt from behind and turned around.

“Hey, sweetie.” Sam smiled at her, and then latched on to Beryl in such an unexpected and tight embrace that Beryl was nearly winded. “It’s so lonely sleeping in your room all by myself. I missed you so much!”

“So, I see,” Beryl choked out as she squirmed out of Sam’s arms before she could kiss her. “I thought…wait.” Beryl’s brow crinkled. “You’re sleeping in my room?”

Sam shrugged. “Yeah, well… I’ve got my own quarters, but …” She cast a quick look over at Jack. “I don’t feel very safe in there. Besides, sweetie, your room feels all… lived-in and comfy, and,” she added pointedly, “it’s booby-trap free.” She grinned as gave Beryl a quick once over. “Well, you’re certainly looking fit, sweetie, but….” Quite suddenly, Sam frowned and shook her head a bit. “Wait….” She tapped a finger against her lips. “Something’s not right with you. Not right at all.”

Beryl stared back at her, surprised by Sam’s bluntness. “Excuse me?”

Sam snapped her fingers, then pointed at Beryl. “I know. You’ve got that Imp look.”

“Imp look?” Beryl looked over to where Nic was, to see if he had heard Sam’s comment. “I’m not even wearing my uniform.”

“No, it’s not a fashion statement,” Sam explained. “It’s that detached, vacant, cold, ‘look-at-me-wrong-and-I’ll-kill-you’ Imp look in your eyes.” Sam cocked her head to one side. “Yeah, that’s it all right. It’s your eyes. They’re… well, they’re just wrong.”

Beryl shook her head as she let out a sigh. “Whatever.”

Sam donned a worried look. “But don’t worry, sweetie. I’ll help you.”

“I don’t need any ‘help’,” Beryl said. “I just need another drink.” She motioned to the bartender for another round and drinks for the newly arrived, while Conn stared at her with exasperated resignation.

“Oh, you do need help, sweetie,” Sam said quietly into her ear. “You just don’t know it yet.” Before Beryl could retort, Sam had toddled off over to where Jeez was. She nudged him with her elbow, and then whispered something into his ear.

Beryl just shook her head. She turned to Max. “Right, so, Max… really appreciate the rescue and the lift. Thank you very much.” She slammed the last of her drink, then turned to Nic. “So, sir, another round and then should we get back on the ship? ‘Cause we’ve got a mission to plan.” She looked at Conn. “You’re coming to Chandrila with us, right?”

Old 11-21-2007, 12:32 AM   #142
Rogue Nine
*static*

Conn sighed. "Yeah, I'm coming," he confirmed. "The Imperials are definitely up to no good with that voodoo concoction of theirs. If we're able to find out more about it, maybe we'll be able to throw a chink in their plans."

As Beryl nodded in agreement, Conn could tell from the feelings she exuded that she wasn't exactly pushing this out of altruism. Instead, there was a different feeling burning inside her. She'd always been fiery, but this wasn't the spunk he was used to from her. This was a whole different animal: vengeance. He knew he wouldn't be able to dissuade her now, not in her current state, but he just hoped that whatever the Imps had done to her wasn't permanent. Because if it was...

The rest of that thought bothered him to the point it was almost painful, so he shook it out of his mind. Placing a hand on her arm, he squeezed lightly. "Besides Beryl, I just got you back. You didn't think I'd let you out of my sights so soon again, did you?"

Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #143
Writer
Not switching to DTV

Jana eyed the chit Max had deposited in her hand for a moment, and then glanced over at Nic. "I appreciate the gesture," she said, extending the chit back to Max. "But we'll be alright. Motley though our crew may be, when we're together, we can pull off things and get out of traps like most people would only dream of. It's when we're split up that... well, that this last two months happens."

"On the other hand," Reibe said, sliding smoothly up beside Jana, "it never hurt to accept a gesture of kindness." She eyed Max for a moment before asking bluntly, "It's not stolen, is it?"

Jana flushed. "Reibe!" she hissed sharply. Reibe ignored her, staring intently at Max.

My work in progress:

Old 11-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #144
starmark2k

Nic ordered the group another round of drinks and made sure everyone had a glass in their hand. He held his glass out infront of him and coughed loudly to get everyones attention. "Here's to those who could not be reunited and gave the ultimate sacrificed so other could live. To Oliver and Ryshana may they find peace whereever they are." Finishing his toast he downed his drink in one.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #145
Rogue Nine
*static*

"Technically. I'll never understand this crew however." Max pursed her lips. "From what I gather, the whole reason for that operation to our little haven of Imperial hell was to get this very thing." She held up the chit, then gestured toward Nic. "He tossed it into the jungle." Max indicated Beryl next. "She walked away from it. And now you don't want it either?" Max shook her head and rubbed her temple. "Maybe Lana was right and I was crazy to try and offer it to you people..."

Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #146
JasraLantill
No One Liners

“You didn't think I'd let you out of my sights so soon again, did you?"

Beryl met Conn’s gaze then shook her head. “No. You’re too stubborn for that.” She caught sight of Max trying to give the credit chip to Jana. Jana had refused, but Reibe seemed inclined for her to take it. “… never hurt to accept a gesture of kindness.” Reibe said.

Max seemed confused as to why no one wanted the chip, and voiced a few complaints about it. "Maybe Lana was right and I was crazy to try and offer it to you people..."

Beryl plucked the chit from Max’s fingers. “I shouldn’t seeing as how Ryshana died for it, but, like Reibe said, it would be rude to accept your gesture of kindness.” She bowed her head to Max. “So, thank you, Max.”

She pocketed the chip and then downed the rest of her drink. “Well, Max, it’s been great fun.” She shook Max’s hand. “Thanks for everything—the rescue, the lift,…” She raised her empty glass. “… the drinks.” She looked at Jana, and then Nic. “I don’t know about you, sir, but I’m ready to blow this joint and go home.”

Old 11-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #147
starmark2k

“C’mon guys lets get off his rock before we are reunited with people we don’t want to meet.” Nic said looking at Jana remembering one of the previous times they had come to the smugglers rest. “Anyway I kind of need to get changed I’ve been wearing these cloths since we infiltrated the reaper.”
Old 11-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #148
Rogue Nine
*static*

As the Echo's crew filed out, Max sidled up to Sam, who was about to leave the bar. "Going with them, eh?" she called out.

Sam turned, then smiled. "Yeah, guess I am," she replied to the petite Lorrdian. "Things are gonna get pretty interesting from the sounds of it." She cast a glance back at Jack's retreating form. "Besides, I've probably got some unfinished business to take care of."

Max arched an eyebrow, but didn't press the issue. She'd known Sam long enough not to ask the tall ex-inmate about things of the past. "Well, whenever you find suit to finish it, there's always room for you aboard my ship."

"Thanks, Max," Sam said in genuine appreciation.

"I've even got the twins with me again."

It was Sam's turn to raise a brow. "Lena and Lana? Those cute Firrerreos?"

Max chuckled. "Yeah, them."

Sam stroked her chin. "Hmmm..." She furrowed her brow in thought for a few moments, then polished off the last of her ale with one big swig. Setting her mug on the table, she looked at Max again. "I'll see this Chandrila thing through, then I'll give you a ring. How's that?"

Max held up her hands. "Hey, whatever you want. Just watch yourself out there, okay?"

Sam snorted as she gave Max a quick hug. "As if."

As Max stepped outside of Smuggler's Rest, she was surprised to see Conn leaning next to the doorway. "Aren't you going with the rest of them?" she asked, arching an eyebrow at him.

The Alderaanian doctor nodded as he pushed off the wall. "Yeah, I am, but you didn't think I'd just leave without saying 'thank you', did you?"

Max waved him off. "We've been over this before, Doc, you don't need to thank me---" The rest of her sentence was cut off Conn pulled her into an embrace, her face buried against his broad chest.

"Yeah, I know, but I was never one to do what people tell me," he said. After a few moments, he released her and looked down, smiling.

The petite Lorrdian couldn't help grinning crookedly herself. "You big doof," she scolded lightly. "Lana and Lena will miss you."

"I'll still be around," Conn said. "So if you ever need a house call, you know where to go."

"Mmmhm," Max demurred. "Just be careful okay? And watch that Corellian of yours and make her right again."

Conn's smile fell a little bit. "Easier said than done."

"It always is."

Old 11-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #149
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

"Likewise," Jeez replied to Nic as he shook his hand. Turning away from Nic, Jeez walked over to the bar and ordered a virrelium juice. After a moment, the bartender set it down in front of Jeez. Nodding to the bartender, Jeez turned around to look at the assembled crew.

I wonder exactly what you saw in them, Jeez thought to himself. All I can see is one drama unfolding after another, and its beyond distracting.

Cradling his drink, Jeez wondered to himself as to exactly what Force was leading him into now. Quickly downing the entire soft drink in a single swallow, Jeez set the glass on the bar and left the credits to pay for the drink. Plus a tip.

Hearing Nic telling the crew to leave, Jeez then commented, "And not a moment too soon." Following the rest oft the crew, Jeez kept to himself as they made their way back to the Echo.

Last edited by stingerhs; 11-24-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #150
steven
^I'm with Genius^

Location: Doesn't matter. The question u should be asking is "where r u?"
Jack had sorted drifted into a deep trail of though as his fellow crew members talked about the recent happenings. It was only when he felt everyone around him leaving their seats did he snap back into reality. He quickly downed what was left of his drink down his throat before standing up to join them in their exit. He wasn't exactly sure where they were going, or even if they had anywhere to go but he could hear the cries of an upcoming conflict in the near future, and the Echo's crew were going to fly straight into it.

"So captain," Jack said as he caught up with Nic as he was leaving the Echo. As Jack was about to finish his sentence, he was interrupted by a foul smell radiating from Nic. "Geez, you weren't kidding about the clothes... Anyway, where are we going next? I kinda moved into my own little world back in the bar so I didn't hear anything you said... Sorry..."

Make love, not toast.
steven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #151
starmark2k

"We're heading for the core, Chandrila." Nic replied to his pilots question. "Beryl want's to play Galactic Hero and the rest of us are going to stop her getting killed."

As they walked onto the landing pad, Nic caught his first glance of the Echo and smile... until he noticed the modification made in his abstance causing his whole expression to drop. "Jana, what have you done to my Ship!"
Old 11-25-2007, 02:23 AM   #152
Writer
Not switching to DTV

"A modification that should have been made the moment it became evident Reibe was going to stick around," Jana shot back. "And it's our ship anyhow."

"Jana, you hardly have to defend me from Nic's rage," Reibe said, laughing softly. "Nic, that gives me easy access to my fighter. Don't tell me that you couldn't use another fighter in action in some of the scrapes you'll encounter. Well, there it is... and here's its pilot." She indicated herself.

"It's not that major a modification, really," Jana offered, attempting to soothe the captain. "Just a little rerouting to a little wiring... the catwalk's routed around the fighter dock. Nothing like, say... swapping the engine room with the bridge."

"Though that was considered in the modified design," Reibe teased. Jana glared at Reibe.

"He already doesn't like you," she snapped. "Don't give him a reason to stab you to death in your sleep!" She stormed ahead, frustrated for the second time within a half an hour by interaction between her captain and her trainer. Reibe watched her go.

"Back in the Rest, her storming off was your fault," she told Nic. "That one's mine... guess we're one for one on setting her off..."

My work in progress:

Old 11-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #153
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Beryl, who had been following with Conn behind Jana, Nic, and Reibe, had also been rather surprised to see Riebe’s fighter attached to the side of the Echo.

“Gone for a few weeks and everything’s changed,” she said quietly to Conn. “Wonder how Reibe’s redecorated the inside as well.”

“Your room’s still the same,” Sam said, catching Beryl up from behind. “I didn’t change a thing.”

Beryl was just giving Sam a strange look when Reibe teased Nic to Jana’s chagrin. Seemingly frustrated, Jana stormed ahead to the ship. Beryl put a hand on Conn’s arm. “I’ll catch up to you later, and give you a tour,” she said, and then jogged after her.

“Hey, wait up!” It didn’t take her long to catch Jana up. She fell into step with her friend and First Officer, and for a moment or two, she was silent. She couldn’t help but feel something was different about Jana, but she couldn’t quite place her finger on it. But as they were boarding the Echo she finally spoke.

“Jana? I don’t mean to pry, but I’m a little confused. Actually, I’m a lot confused about a lot of things,” she confessed. “But all the other things aside, can you please explain when, how, and why Reibe came onboard? What’s going on?”

Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #154
Writer
Not switching to DTV

"Confusion is fair," Jana answered shortly. She sighed. "To be honest, the things that have happened on the Echo these last two months are overwhelming... more than that. They're downright impossible."

She boarded the ship with Beryl at her side and Jana gestured across the cargo bay to where the wall now bulged in to accommodate Reibe's fighter. "Takes away a little cargo space," she observed, "but not that much seeing as how it's slanted in, rather than just chopping that whole side out..."

With a look of frustration mixed with concern, she turned back to Beryl. "I..." she began. But she couldn't get the words out to tell her friend that Reibe was here to train her in using the Force. She decided finally to conclude with, "I missed you, Beryl. It's so good to have you back..."

After a moment of silence, she added bluntly, "Something's different about you."

My work in progress:

Old 11-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #155
JasraLantill
No One Liners

With little expression, Beryl stared at Jana for a moment. Beryl felt something odd about Jana through the Force, but again she couldn’t quite put her finger on what it was. She was about to mention her feeling to Jana, but then, for some unknown, reason, decided not to.

“I’m on drugs,” Beryl answered matter-of-factly. “But Conn says he can fix that.” She frowned, then shrugged with indifference. “Eventually.”

She didn’t wait for a response from Jana, but instead meandered over towards the Headhunter. “So, anyone been flying her while I was away?” she asked, changing the subject as she ran her hand over the fuselage. “I wasn’t allowed to fly anything solo at the Academy.” She snorted with disdain. “Commander Thalmon and Dr. Ferrana thought I might be a ‘flight’ risk.” She turned to Jana, with a smile that looked positively evil. “They were right, of course.”

She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. “But it feels so good to be home, Jana. I know that this is just a ship, but… it feels like home.”

Old 11-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #156
Writer
Not switching to DTV

Jana chose to ignore the comment about Beryl being a flight risk. "Jeez has flown her a few times," She said. She chuckled and gestured to the new fighter dock. "And before we had that installed, you should have seen the challenge it was for Reibe to access her fighter... hop in a space suit, clamber up to the upper hatch, which, incidentally, Reibe's fighter was docked right on top of..."

She laughed. "She made me do it once so I'd stop laughing at what she had to go through if we needed an extra fighter in action. Truth be told, it only made me laugh more. You could push the hatch open a bit, but then you had to squirm out under the fighter, hope to Force you didn't get bucked off while the ship was moving, and climb up on top of it." She shook her head. "No wonder she wanted that," she concluded gesturing again to the fighter dock.

Beryl closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. "But it feels so good to be home, Jana. I know that this is just a ship, but... it feels like home."

Jana smiled warmly. "It is home, Beryl. Four solid walls and a solid foundation on a planet isn't what makes a home. It's the heart of the thing... and it's where we spend our time when we're not out on a job." She gave Beryl another quick hug. "It's good to have you home, Beryl."

My work in progress:

Old 11-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #157
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Beryl nodded at Jana. For an instant, she felt as if there was something important that she needed to tell her, but then the thought vanished just as quickly as it had come.

“Right, so I guess that I’ve missed a few cooking rotas,” Beryl said, staring up at the ladder to the catwalk and the decks above. “Reibe hasn’t remodelled the galley, has she?”

One hour later….

The crew were beginning to gather in the common room for the evening meal. Beryl had taken it upon herself to cook, and was just chopping up the last of the vegetables for a nuna stirfry. It had been a long time since she had actually prepared and cooked real food, and for the first time in many weeks she was enjoying herself. Until her hands started shaking again.

“Damn it.” She had sliced her finger with the chef’s knife.

“Something wrong, sweetie?” Sam sidled up beside her.

“Just a bit careless,” Beryl answered. She sucked the blood off her fingertip. The cut wasn’t very deep. “It’ll be fine.” She scraped the vegetables from the cutting board and into the frying pan. Then she paused. She glanced over her shoulder. Conn wasn’t around just yet, probably still getting acquainted with the med bay.

“Sam…,” Beryl started, “you wouldn’t happen to have any… tranqs, would you?”

Sam raised her brow. “Me? Tranqs?” She shook her head. “I’m a stim person, sweetie. You know that.”

“Yeah….” Beryl sighed. “Well, then can you reach up under that cupboard there? There should be a bottle of Cassandran Brandy stuffed up underneath the lip of the cupboard.”

Sam did as she was asked and handed the bottle to Beryl. “Expensive taste, sweetie.”

“Yeah, well.” Without ceremony, Beryl covertly took a long swig from the bottle, then splashed a bit of it into the stir fry. “Gives the veggies a bit of a kick.”

Sam shook her head. “You really need to tell the Doc about that,” she said, nodding at Beryl’s tremoring hand.

“He knows already, okay? But he said I’m not due for any more meds for…” She looked at her chrono. “…1 hour and 12 minutes. So….” She shrugged. “Here.” She handed Sam a large spoon. “Stir this, keep it moving and don’t let it burn. I’m going to get bacta patch for my finger.”

Sucking her injured finger, she headed for the medbay. But just as she was about to enter the room, Conn opened the door to come out and the two of them collided heads.

Last edited by JasraLantill; 11-26-2007 at 06:40 PM.
JasraLantill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #158
starmark2k

Nic stood on the edge of a deep chasm, looking down into the dark seemingly endless abyss, it seemed that he could fall forever if he slipped or jumped. The chasm and Nic were in a dark cold rocky cavern with only a dim glimmer of light coming from behind him.

Nic’s face was almost entirely absent of all emotion as he looked down with only the slightest hint of bewilderment in his eyes. He was calm and seemed entirely balanced as his toes hung over the abysses edge.

The sound of whispering came from behind where the light emanated from causing Nic to slowly turn around and face it. As he turned he saw that he stood inside a room made of stone brick walls, the walls were old seemingly ancient as they had began to decay and vines crept through the cracks, moss covered the entire wall giving it a green tint. Looking further along the room he saw a large staircase that led to the source of both the light and the strange intangible whispers.

Nic began to walk down the room over the old stone floors and towards the large staircase, his movements were slow and calm. He began the ascent up to the light source moving like he was half asleep.

Reaching the top he came across an ornate circular table surrounded by four statues of faceless men in robes each holding something different. The first held a compass, the second held a sword, the third a heart and the last held a dagger but it was pointed inward towards it’s own body.

Nic walked over to the first statue and looked down at the base of it, he saw some writing on it noticed the word ‘Guide. He then turned to the second and saw the word Guardian. As he was going to turn to the third statue he heard a scream coming from the statue and saw a Stone that glowed, blue, green and red all that same time in the middle.

He couldn’t explain why but he felt compelled to reach over and touch it, like it was calling out to him as, or pulling his hand like a tractor beam. As his hand made contact with the stone his mind was suddenly flashed with images, sounds and emotions each lasting no more than a second each. He saw and people in dark blues robes, young women and men fighting, Sith lords and many planets. He felt love and hate as each image passed through his mind, the flashes happened so fast he was unable to comprehend individual visions.

Suddenly one image stuck in his mind, it was a young attractive woman he had not met, the women’s image lingered in his mind as if to burn it into his memory.
__________________________________________________ ___

Once he got back on the ship Nic did what he said he would and had a shower but decided to go to bed after. It had been two months since he had slept in a bed and was not hanging from a wall or on a stone floor.

Nic eyes opened as he laid on his bunk, he slowly sat up and looked around his room curious about the strange vision dream he had just had.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #159
Rogue Nine
*static*

“Ow!” Beryl and Conn both uttered as they collided with each other.

Conn staggered back, a ringing pain starting to throb in his forehead. He clutched at his temple, then looked to see who he'd inadvertently headbutted. "Beryl?" he said, taking a few steps towards her.

“Sorry, sir,” she said automatically, without really looking at him. “Wasn’t concentrating.” She sucked on her fingertip, again starting to bleed from the cut. “Just came to get a bacta patch. Oh, and dinner’s almost ready.”

It took Conn a few moments to remember that Beryl was cooking up dinner for the crew. "Oh, of course," he said, retreating back into the medbay. "Hang on, I'll grab one for you."

As Conn went to retrieve the patch, Beryl noted that various medical supplies were splayed out over the countertops. Obviously, Conn was reorganising the place to his liking. “Doing some spring cleaning?” she asked, as her eyes darted around the room, trying to figure out in which storage cabinet he was planning to put the tranqs.

"Yeah," Conn responded as he removed supplies from an overhead cabinet. "Your previous medic was certainly an eccentric one. Had some really odd instruments here that I didn't know could be used in medical applications."

“Yeah, Ollie was more of a ‘do-it-yourself’ medic,” Beryl commented, as she looked around the bay. “And a home-brewer,” she added as she passed her eyes over a heap of metal tubing. “He was great at doing stitches though,” she recalled. She looked down at her forearm, recalling a particularly nasty cut she had suffered when helping Cloud in engineering one day. “Can’t even see the scar.” She turned to look at Conn. “I won’t need stitches for this though.” She held up her finger. “Just a bacta patch.”

"All righty," Conn said, picking out a finger patch and bringing it over to her. As he approached, he felt an odd, jittery feeling emanating from the blonde Corellian pilot. Probably still feeling the withdrawal effects from those Imperial drug cocktails, Conn thought to himself. He exterted a little bit of his Zeltron abilities, in an attempt to soothe her frayed nerves.

Beryl thanked him as she took the patch. She was feeling a bit calmer now, although she attributed that to the slug of Cassandran brandy rather than anything Conn was doing, but her hands were still shaking a bit. “I feel a bit silly asking this, sir, but can you…?” She met Conn’s eyes, and held out the patch and injured finger.

"'Course," he said, taking the patch and ripping it out of its wrapping. He took her hand in his own and carefully applied the patch to her injured finger, then gave her hand an encouraging squeeze, hoping his emotional projection eased a bit of her shakiness.

Beryl stared at him for a moment, then kissed him lightly on the lips. “Thank you, s—.” She paused. “Conn.” She shifted uncomfortably. “So, you coming to dinner?”

"Wouldn't miss it for anything," Conn replied, a little surprised at her kiss, then at her look of slight discomfort. There was something else... and as he ran his tongue over his lip, he figured out what it was. "Beryl, what have you been drinking?" he asked.

“Cassandran brandy,” she said truthfully. “That’s why I cut myself. I was shaking. Not from drinking the brandy,” she clarified. “I did that after the cut. But...” She lowered her voice to a whisper. “Sir, can’t you give me something that lasts longer? Please? I feel like I’ve got bugs crawling behind my eyeballs.”

"Oh Beryl," Conn sighed. "Tranqs aren't going to make things better. You're going to need to pull through this without them. More drugs aren't going to cure you." At her crestfallen look, he reached out and squeezed her shoulder. "Let's wait until after dinner, all right? If it'll help, I try and use my abilities to ease the jitters."

She nodded. “I’d better check on Sam. I left her stirring our supper.” She held out her hand. “C’mon.”

Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #160
JasraLantill
No One Liners

“Mmm, something smells good,” Cloud said as he sauntered into the common room. But seeing Sam stirring what was in the large wok-style pan, he frowned. “I thought you said you couldn’t cook?”

“I can’t.” Sam turned her head and gave Cloud a wink. “But I’m not bad at stiring.” She then nodded towards the corridor. Beryl and Conn were approaching. “I was just babysitting Beryl’s creation while she went to get patched up. Dangerous things these veggies, eh sweetie? So…” Sam glanced askance at Beryl. “Did the Doc fix you up?”

Beryl’s eyes shifted from Sam to Cloud to Conn and then back to Sam. She didn’t answer right away, then wiggled her bandaged finger in the air. “Bacta patch.”

“Ah.” Sam waved a hand over the pan and sniffed the air. “Do you think the veggies need any more seasoning?”

Beryl knew that Sam was covertly asking if she needed another shot of brandy and she gave a guarded look at Conn. “No,” she answered Sam as she sidled up beside her to take over the cooking. “No more seasoning.”

“Ah. Good.” Grinning, Sam handed Beryl the spoon. “So, sweetie, I guess we’re ready to eat now?”

Beryl nodded and while she started to get the food ready to serve, Sam went over to the shipwide comm. “Chow!” she announced loudly. “If you’re hungry, come and get it! If you’re not, more for the rest of us!”

“You know, Sam, there’s this little thing in the comm box called an ‘am-pli-fi-er’ that makes your voice louder so that people can actually hear you quite well when you decide to use the shipwide button,” Cloud commented deadpan.

“I shouted for the dramatic effect,” Sam responded.

“And the added sophistication, no doubt.” Cloud shook his head. “Sam, has anyone ever told you that you’re a bit… odd?”

Sam took a moment to consider. “Once or twice. Why?”

Cloud sighed. “Nevermind.”

Beryl was carrying the food over to the table just as Teser made his way into the common room. Beryl gave him a look as he sat down, but didn’t say anything until she seated herself. “So?”

“He said he’d do it, but he didn’t sound very happy about it,” Teser replied cryptically.

Beryl shrugged. “He’s probably ticked off with you for the same reason I am.”

“Who?” Sam asked brazenly.

“Our brother Rayne,” Teser answered. “And I don’t understand why you’re angry, B,” he said to Beryl. “Thought you’d be happy to see me alive.”

Beryl’s eyes narrowed. “I am. But…. how is it that you were able to contact Jana but didn’t see fit to contact any of your own family to say that you were alive and well?”

“Look, I told you, I wasn’t in a position to….”

Beryl put her hand up. “Just drop it. I don’t want to hear any more lame excuses.” She looked at Conn. “When everyone gets to the table, sir, we should probably go over our plan for infiltrating the Imperial facility at Chandrila,” she said to him. “Have you had time to find out more about those drugs combinations on that inventory list?”