lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Video Card Problem
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Eefluxx

Video Card Problem

Okay I know this doesn't involve K1 or TSL yet, but I a need a new video card for a computer so I can put those games on it so I hope this is in the right place. First off I bought a 256mb GEFORCE 5200 video card today to put on a Dell computer 1.8gz processor and 256mb ram. All I get is a screen that is black on one side and green on the other. Basically looks like the NVidia colors without the logo. After awhile I got just a black screen with the recycle bin the only thing showing besides the mouse. After looking closer at the specs on the computer and mininum requirements on the video card I discovered that a 250 watt power supply was required and the Dell I have is only 200watts. Does this really make a big difference? If so then thats fine, however I went and got an older card out of a 800mz HP that I had that was a 64mb e-GeForce2MX400. It had worked fine in the older computer but all I get in the Dell is a black and green screen like before. Can anyone figure out what might be causeing the problem. I downloaded the drivers and followed the instructions both in the guide and from online from PNY support and nothing has worked, so I was hoping some of the local experts might know what to do.

Thanks

Eefluxx

Feel Free To Disagree.....Most People Do Anyways
Eefluxx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Moving to the General Tech Discussion Forum...

Better chance at an answer there.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
First off, this sounds like a driver issue. You'll need to download the latest ForceWare driver from Nvidia.

Before you install it, you'll have to uninstall the old driver, and I highly recommend that you use Driver Cleaner Pro to completely remove all of the old driver's components. Just download it, follow the instructions and then install the new driver.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Eefluxx

First off, Thank you Redhawke for finding the right spot for this question

Second, Qliveur, the computer I am installing it on doesn't have internet, so can I download the drivers and the Cleaner Pro to a CDR and then download them to the other computer?

And thanks for the help

Old 10-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Q
The one who knocks

Sure, you can.

And you shouldn't have to worry about the power supply. Dell PSUs are usually capable of delivering more than their rated power.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 10-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Eefluxx

Its still not working, I wonder if it has something to do with the computer itself. I bought it from my sister and she had problems with games but didn't try to install a video card with it. I am wondering if I do a complete restore on it and start over from the beginning. There is nothing on it that I have to have.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Q
The one who knocks

Reinstalling Windows and starting from scratch might be a good idea.

-Toker
Old 10-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Getting an old pc is grouds for a scrub up, especially one that used to belong to a girl... so many hard drive sectors of Justin Timberlake pics and songs is just no good for 1337 gaming

*apologies in advance to male JT fans, and females for the generalisation*

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Video Card Problem